Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dohboy563']I'm a new PC gamer (amazed by all the good deals on games)

Please excuse my ignorance but I just want to know if I am able to play shatter.

I dont want to buy another game and find out I am not able to play it.

I am currently using this website to aid me but some games are not on the list yet (Shatter)
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

Thank you in advance (i do apologize I am learning more about graphic cards etc.

(On the sticker of my pc it says I have ATI Radeon 3000 but when I look on Device Manager it says AMD 760G so im confused)

AMD Phenom II X4 830 Processor

5.7 gig RAM

2.8gig Video Ram

2.8GHz

Free Disc Space 622.6GB[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't count on running it too well. Your processor is fine, but your GPU is extremely weak. Is your computer a store-bought one?

[quote name='Mikerrrr']I wouldn't count on running it too well. Your processor is fine, but your GPU is extremely weak. Is your computer a store-bought one?[/QUOTE]

Store bought :(

so i should pass on this game?

[quote name='Dohboy563']Store bought :(

so i should pass on this game?[/QUOTE]

Dude, you have 6 gigs of ram and a quad core processor, you will be able to run what is essentially a souped up version of Breakout fine.

[quote name='Tsel']Damn. 11,200,000 on Shatter's Bonus Mode is damn near impossible.[/QUOTE]

I found that disabling vsync and triplebuffering help tremendously with response time and smoothness.

After making these changes I beat the score on my 3rd attempt (out of like 30 or so prior attempts).

Of course, use the mouse!

Took me about half an hour to get the Shatter objective. Came oh so close at least three times before my final score of 13,300,000.

Maybe you guys need to up the sensitivity of your mouse. I always have mine on pretty high, don't like to move my arm around.

Shatter was definitely worth the $2.50. That 11.2 million took me about 7-8 tries and I had one earlier game right at 11 million (I was not amused).

I think my old school arcade skills are coming in handy. For those of you getting frustrated with this one just keep at it and take breaks. Sometimes you need to go walk around for a few minutes to reset your brain. I just beat Super Meat Boy the other day and I had to do everything in my power not to drop a million F bombs or smash the controller but persistence payed off eventually.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']You just have to play through all the original campaigns, minus the Parish. I never played through that one and I have the achievement. It's pretty find at least one to kill throughout the entire campaign, and I'm sure you could quit the campaign and move onto the next one if you're short on time.[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured I had to do. Oh well I have not played too much L4D2 so this is fine.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']You just have to play through all the original campaigns, minus the Parish. I never played through that one and I have the achievement. It's pretty find at least one to kill throughout the entire campaign, and I'm sure you could quit the campaign and move onto the next one if you're short on time.[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured I had to do. Oh well I have not played too much L4D2 so this is fine.

[quote name='TestType']Took me about half an hour to get the Shatter objective. Came oh so close at least three times before my final score of 13,300,000.

Maybe you guys need to up the sensitivity of your mouse. I always have mine on pretty high, don't like to move my arm around.[/QUOTE]

I think part of my problem was playing it with a Logitech Trackman Marble. Not the best mouse for this sort of thing.

I finally got my Shatter objective. A soon as I turned off triple buffering, vsync, and antialiasing my scores improved dramatically - I got 10,600,000 on my first try. I like to think the copious swearing beforehand helped as well.

I went ahead and purchased this for $0.99 also. I listened to a few of the tracks on YouTube and thought that $0.99 to support the developers and talent behind this soundtrack would be money well spent. :)

[quote name='evildeadjedi']That's what I figured I had to do. Oh well I have not played too much L4D2 so this is fine.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to play through the whole levels. I went to the steam forums and saw this thread:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1646640

I followed these instructions and got it really fast. BTW You only need to get four of them, mudman, clown, hazmat, and construction worker. Thanks goes to Tinker on the official steam forums

Dead Center, chapter 1, there is always a hazmat in the first part of commons.
Dark Carnival, chapter 4, there is usually a clown outside
The Passing, chappter 1, run&gun thingy with fallen survivors
Swamp Fever, chapter 2, always a mudmen out there
Hard Rain, chapter 5, at least one worker in the starting horde
The Parish, chapter 2, sometimes a riotcop is there

This is the quickest way.

cut and paste with some minor edits from steam forums by The Tinker

Dead Center, chapter 1, there is always a hazmat in the first part of commons.
The Passing, chappter 1, run&gun thingy with fallen survivors
The Parish, chapter 2, sometimes a riotcop is there

Dark Carnival, chapter 4, there is usually a clown outside
Swamp Fever, chapter 2, always a mudmen out there
Hard Rain, chapter 5, at least one worker in the starting horde

I got the first guy in the first campaign, whatever it's called, but I don't recall where and the names for these is different for what's needed for the Crass Menagerie.

And for Shatter, remember to use the mouse, can't be mentioned enough times for people who want the treasure hunt achievement.

Snagged it the FLAC version for a buck. It's more than I spent on the game itself though!

BTW does the Steam version have achievements? I haven't really used Steam since I registered it for Half Life eons ago and I heard there is achievements now. Is that across the entire platform or is it only titles that choose to include them?

Sounds great, looks great, just bought both. Thanks OP!
There's an editor at ign who's always raving about this game. I had no idea it was even a brick-breaker... :)

Finally got Shatter's objectives...nothing new to add here, except a lot of the other posters are correct: the game is worth the $2.50, but not for the bonus mode. Having a blast with "Story" mode.

[quote name='Dohboy563']AMD Phenom II X4 830 Processor

5.7 gig RAM

2.8gig Video Ram

2.8GHz

Free Disc Space 622.6GB[/QUOTE]
I think you'll be able to run the game just fine, my friend.

Just fine indeed.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I think you'll be able to run the game just fine, my friend.

Just fine indeed.[/QUOTE]

Thank you :D I bought the game and it runs great! Really fun as well.:D

[quote name='Pajama_Man']I found that disabling vsync and triplebuffering help tremendously with response time and smoothness.

After making these changes I beat the score on my 3rd attempt (out of like 30 or so prior attempts).

Of course, use the mouse![/QUOTE]
Exactly the same thing happened for me. So helpful. Thanks!

I was on fire tonight in L4F2. Stopping hunters with a katana to the face, crazy death charges, well timed booms, spitter action unrivaled.

Though... I had amazing teammates too. One guy got a deathcharge that killed 3 people. The charge and 2 hit with recoil off the side of the building in No Mercy. It was an epic beauty and it won us the game.

People, buy L4D2.

Edit: Oh and Monday Night Combat is so fucking bought.

[quote name='Monroeski']Not that I don't think the L4D2 community is going strong, but the numbers right now are likely inflated with people doing the treasure hunt.[/QUOTE]
I can definitively answer this one :) Here are stats scraped from steam's stats page since 11/20 - present. You can see the numbers of the L4D and L4D2 communities, as well as the impact of the first sale over Thanksgiving (Note: Date/Time figures are in UTC/GMT time zone)

o1TP5.png

tl;dr: L4D2 community is doing great but the same cannot be said for L4D1

Do you think during next week's sale (Winter) they will have a L4D1+2 bundle for $7 or so? I'll wait if there is a good chance there is going to be a deal similar to that. If not I'll just buy L4D2 for $5 and forget about L4D1.

[quote name='solohunter']finally, shatter objective is complete - sadly, it ruined the game for me. i never want to play it again.[/QUOTE]

This is what likely happened to some people.
When we completed that objective, my friends and I felt never going back to play the game again due to how much frustration it has caused to us.
It has a weird collision system and the magnets makes things unfairly unpredictable.

It's either the developer is really good at this type of game or they are just using a cheap way to make people play the game more so that they can raise the playing time statistics.

Bonus Mode is the weakest part of Shatter. It relies too much on sheer luck because it leaves out the push/pull element that is its true hook. I think it was just a mistake on their part to require people to play that because the rest of the game is actually quite entertaining. Now people that bought it just because of the Treasure Hunt are simply irritated with the game.

I've never really played Shatter before. But I found the Bonus Mode challenge pretty fun and pretty easy. (It only took, like, 15 mins or so.) And it made me play the first few Story Mode missions, so that I could unlock Bonus Mode. And now I feel like continuing to play. So it worked on me, at least!

Objectives today

Sneak Peek

Download and watch a trailer from each of the following games - Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Homefront, BRINK, Red Faction®: Armageddon™, Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine and Portal 2

Tunnel Vision

Become a Nosalis Hunter in Metro 2033

a70fe6dc214f24107d20596f3040dbfa220ed42d.jpg

Metro 2033 75% off today -75%
$39.99
$9.99

Cause and Effect

Create a Destruction Frenzy in Just Cause 2

73582e392a2b9413fe93b011665a5b9cf26ff175.jpg

Just Cause 2 75% off today -75%
$29.99
$7.49

Beat It

Set a leaderboard score of at least 3,770,488 for 'Survival Best Score' in Beat Hazard

6a1f18f2142ef005fa35bc712a9c3c3630d2c59b.jpg

Beat Hazard 75% off today -75%
$9.99
$2.50

Today's deals are up, Metro 2033, Just Cause 2, and Beat Hazard all at 75% off, which makes it $10, $7.50, and $2.50 respectively.

I already have JC2, will have to play it to get the objective, and both games are really tempting at their prices, but I think I'll pass as to not add to the backlog. Plus I'd be way to focused on the objectives for those games and probably only play them for a couple of hours before moving on.

Anyone know how hard Beat Hazard is? So far I've been able to download and succeed with every low-price game except Droplitz. I'll never play that crap again.

Trailer one's easy, and I own Beat Hazard and Metro 2033, so I should hit at least 3 on this one. Just Cause 2 sounds great for $7.50 so I may hit 4.

I know you can still complete hunts from previous days even when they're not "active," but if you do so is there any difference at all from completing them while they're active? For example, if I gift a game to somebody today even though that was on yesterday's list, is it any different than if I had done it yesterday?

Something about the verbage on the site had me curious. Seemed slightly different when talking about completing goals for previous days. Can't access the site from here, though.

[quote name='Monroeski']Trailer one's easy, and I own Beat Hazard and Metro 2033, so I should hit at least 3 on this one. Just Cause 2 sounds great for $7.50 so I may hit 4.

I know you can still complete hunts from previous days even when they're not "active," but if you do so is there any difference at all from completing them while they're active? For example, if I gift a game to somebody today even though that was on yesterday's list, is it any different than if I had done it yesterday?

Something about the verbage on the site had me curious. Seemed slightly different when talking about completing goals for previous days. Can't access the site from here, though.[/QUOTE]

By completing tasks during their sale time, you get entered for a chance to win the top 5 games on your wishlist (up to 4 chances, 1 per task). If you do the tasks after, you won't be entered for the drawing for those days, since the drawing will already have happened.

Ninja Edit: As long as you do 10 tasks before the entire event is over (and log in on the 20th), you will be entered for the 100 game giveaway.

Holy crap. Log in and boom, have the two achievements from Beat Hazard and Just Cause 2. I got my 10 done, easy sailing now.

wow this sucks. I have all four games but I am out of town and only have a business laptop. They have two objectives from intense graphical games. I doubt I can even play those on this PC. Oh well, I guess I won't be entering in for the drawing during this period.

So we have to actually download the trailers? Cant just stream them?
Kinda sucks, cuz Ive definitely watched every single one of these more than once. I spend more time reading about games and watching stuff about upcoming releases than I do actually playing games... by far.

Seems like you have to download the trailers and then watch it. There are some that are larger in file sizes and can be a hassle for those with slower bandwidth so these are the ones that I've watched:

Brink - Trailer 2 128 MB
Brink - Teaser Trailer61.7MB

Deus EX Human Revolution Gameplay Trailer 94.6 MB
Deus EX Human Revolution Trailer 74.7MB

Homefront - Dev Diary 2 174.3 MB
Homefront Teaser trailer 29.9 MB

Portal 2 Co-op Trailer 97.2 MB
Red Faction Armageddon Trailer 27.8 MB
Space Marine 54 Mb

You can mouse over the fields in order to determine which ones to download, then click on the window then click on the download button on the right.

[quote name='topplehat']What's the trick to high scores in Beat Hazard? I am nowhere near the amount needed.[/QUOTE]

I've done 4-5 songs and I'm not even there in total points yet. But from what I read you start getting more points when your rank goes up, so keep playing.

[youtube]Xc2hhef-Nzo[/youtube][youtube]0qJwnJb1LTQ[/youtube]

Objectives for 12/12-12/13

Sales for 12/12-12/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back