Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody know if there's a seek bar when watching downloaded trailers? I accidently exited out of one half way through one and had to watch it all over again because i couldn't figure out how to skip to the point where I had exited. Kind of annoying. But whatevs, got the objective!

EDIT: I love that Just Cause 2 video. I laughed out loud MANY times. But I think I laughed more while watching this video.

[quote name='pROvIs']wow this sucks. I have all four games but I am out of town and only have a business laptop. They have two objectives from intense graphical games. I doubt I can even play those on this PC. Oh well, I guess I won't be entering in for the drawing during this period.[/QUOTE]

You have until the last day of the treasure hunt to complete any objectives.

Nice. Forgot that the challenges are all retroactive if you had already done something. Logged in to check the new items and found that I had already completed the Beat Hazard challenge previously so it was already unlocked.

Thoughts on the Beat Hazard objective:
You "level up" in this game by scoring points, and that's carried over from game to game. I suggest starting by beating all levels on "hardcore" before even looking at survival. The difference between scoring 10,000 points and one million is mostly the leveling-up perks you get.

[quote name='evilmrhenry']Thoughts on the Beat Hazard objective:
You "level up" in this game by scoring points, and that's carried over from game to game. I suggest starting by beating all levels on "hardcore" before even looking at survival. The difference between scoring 10,000 points and one million is mostly the leveling-up perks you get.[/QUOTE]

If you had to quantify it, about how much time would you say it takes get that score? After all the level-up bonuses and such.

[quote name='IanKazimer']If you had to quantify it, about how much time would you say it takes get that score? After all the level-up bonuses and such.[/QUOTE]

It gets extremely easy after leveling up for a bit. I'm at elite 23 right now on level. I forget if suicidal difficulty is open from the start but if it is start from that rank and skips the ones below. Its not really that hard and the scores are much higher.

It had been a long, long time since I have played and I just popped back in while JC2 was downloading and tried to run the survivial mode on suicidal. Without even being in practice any more I was easily able to hit around 18,000,000.

Getting your multiplier up to 200 as soon as possible helps alot and remember to save your bombs for times when the screen is full and the music has died out. Really the only time you should use them.

[quote name='IanKazimer']If you had to quantify it, about how much time would you say it takes get that score? After all the level-up bonuses and such.[/QUOTE]
Around 2 hours.

Well, I have Metro 2033 and JC 2 so I will work on getting those objectives (don't have and not interested in Beat Hazard). I just did the trailers one and Deus Ex Human Revolution looks awesome!

I just got crazy busy in beat hazard. Scored just under 6 million first try... unlocked a ton of achievements too. Including the 1 hour total time played one. Only the second time Ive played it. Last time was the day I bought it.

Man, I don't know how you guys did it but I got destroyed in Beat Hazard for the first hour or so. And I was already almost at max level! I'm not sure if it was the music I was trying or if it was just me sucking, but I could barely get over 1 million. Everything kind of music I tried kept kicking my ass (trance, jazz, rock) and I finally got to about 5.2 million with some Alkaline Trio.

I got the objective but now I feel all crappy with people here going, "Oh psh, I took a crap and got 18 million."

Steam Quote: Notice: Just Cause 2 only supports Windows Vista or Windows 7 and requires a video card that supports DirectX 10 or higher. Windows XP and DirectX 9 are not supported. Does not require a Games For Windows Live account.

Thanks Microsoft, you just saved me $7.50

[quote name='netscorer']Steam Quote: Notice: Just Cause 2 only supports Windows Vista or Windows 7 and requires a video card that supports DirectX 10 or higher. Windows XP and DirectX 9 are not supported. Does not require a Games For Windows Live account.

Thanks Microsoft, you just saved me $7.50[/QUOTE]

Curse you Microsoft! How dare you massively update Windows and DirectX a couple times per decade! GRRRR!!
emotargha.gif

If you're still on XP and don't have a DirectX10 Graphics card, JC2 and many other new games are gonna run like poopie.

I logged on steam and already had all 4 objectives. Hrmph. Wish I had waited for the price drop on Metro (having paid full price for it!). Oh well, them's the breaks.

After playing around in Beat Hazard for about an hour and leveling I was able to get 6m+ in survival. Used a deadmau5 album for those interested.

The trailers also seemed to have done the trick... I want all those games now. :bouncy:

-

Just got the Beat Hazard challenge...my damn eyes, they freaking bleed...Reminded how much I love that game though, totally forgot about it. Took two tries, got a little over 5.7 million in 13 minutes, perhaps I should have leveled up first...

On the fence about picking up Metro 2033, have it for the 360, but, I dunno seems like I'd be more immersed on the PC. Plus amazon is offering $13 for trade-in...hmmm..

[quote name='Meatyflakes']Just got the Beat Hazard challenge...my damn eyes, they freaking bleed...Reminded how much I love that game though, totally forgot about it. Took two tries, got a little over 5.7 million in 13 minutes, perhaps I should have leveled up first...

On the fence about picking up Metro 2033, have it for the 360, but, I dunno seems like I'd be more immersed on the PC. Plus amazon is offering $13 for trade-in...hmmm..[/QUOTE]

do it. if your pc can run it at decent settings its probably the best looking game ive ever played. utterly fantastic visuals. im a big fan of metro 2033.

If anyone here has a steam activation code they won't be using for the Humble Indie Bundle #1, I'll buy them a copy of the Humble Indie Bundle #2 in return. (And no, I'm not one of those donate a penny jerks)

[quote name='TheKbob']The PC versions, determining on your hardware, is leagues better in presentation for metro 2033.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a damn clue, I'm out of loop in regards to PC specs these days...

Rolling with a AMD Athlon II X4 630 processor, 4 gigs of ram, a ATI Radeon 5570 (1 gig), and monitor with a 1920*1080 Native resolution...

Opinions?

Thanks for the help!

Steam Gimme (formerly known as "Sneak Peek")

Turns out this one is kind of hard to track. All eligible Steam accounts are now entered for this objective. Nice work!

[quote name='RollingSkull']Steam Gimme (formerly known as "Sneak Peek")

Turns out this one is kind of hard to track. All eligible Steam accounts are now entered for this objective. Nice work!
[/QUOTE]

Nice my hotel internet wasn't cutting it.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Does anybody know if there's a seek bar when watching downloaded trailers?...[/QUOTE]
ALT+ENTER > Pick your position > ALT+ENTER

[quote name='Meatyflakes']I don't have a damn clue, I'm out of loop in regards to PC specs these days...

Rolling with a AMD Athlon II X4 630 processor, 4 gigs of ram, a ATI Radeon 5570 (1 gig), and monitor with a 1920*1080 Native resolution...

Opinions?

Thanks for the help![/QUOTE]

Hate to break it to you but I wouldn't bother with Metro 2033 on those specs. You can forget running it at your screens native resolution. Your graphics card is the biggest bottleneck here, then your processor. This game needs a beast of a computer, at least to shine.

[quote name='Ultramontane']Another bump for the Just Cause 2 deal - just under $8.00? Sweet[/QUOTE]

1) Is that Clancy Brown as your avatar?

2) I second this motion - I'm so tempted to pick this up, but I've been spending to freely on games of late. I tried the demo a while back and really enjoyed it.

[quote name='caldazar']1) Is that Clancy Brown as your avatar?[/QUOTE]

Yes it is - from his role in Carnivale that aired on HBO a few years back. Great show, highly recommend it.

I really enjoyed the Beat Hazzard challenge. I got to listen to my Weezer Hurley album while playing a really good twin stick shooter. Between leveling up and learning to play the game I cleared 8 million the first time I cleared the challenge.

This challenge reminds me why I utterly detest Beat Hazard.

Metro 2033 requires you play for an hour or two to nail that, and that's just skipping a lot of the cutscenes, which are not particularly interesting anyway. It's a quality game, though.

[quote name='TestType']Hate to break it to you but I wouldn't bother with Metro 2033 on those specs. You can forget running it at your screens native resolution. Your graphics card is the biggest bottleneck here, then your processor. This game needs a beast of a computer, at least to shine.[/QUOTE]

Well I run Metro2033 pretty well on medium settings with my laptop at 1366*768. Ive got a 5650 and an i5-450m processor. If anything its still a nice game from a gameplay and story standpoint despite me not being able to see it "shine" or "sparkle".

I was a Level 73 Elite in Beat Hazard so I had already unlocked it haha.

Anyway you guys have to support this guy (Cold Beam Games) when he releases Beat Hazard ULTRA! next year. It'll include new bosses, online play, and other stuff. Plus it's just $5.

picked up killing floor bundle.

monday night combat trailer looks fun.. i should get it for xbox since i have some friends who casually play that.

[quote name='TestType']Hate to break it to you but I wouldn't bother with Metro 2033 on those specs. You can forget running it at your screens native resolution. Your graphics card is the biggest bottleneck here, then your processor. This game needs a beast of a computer, at least to shine.[/QUOTE]

its not so bad if you run it in DX10, DX11 however....

Will probably pick up Killing Floor. I really don't think it would be on sale for less than $5 anyway during the sale and I feel comfortable throwing ~$7 to the developers for the sheer amount of content that KF has received since it's release (not to mention the Christmas event!).

So between Killing Floor, Metro, and Just Cause 2, which one should I get? I want them all, but I think one would be reasonable.
Not having played Killing Floor or Metro, I can't speak for them.

But Just Cause 2 has been a real blast for me. One caveat though (pretty sure the steam page says this in big letters but people have a tendency to skim read sometimes) you need Windows 7 to play it.
If you already have win7, it's a steal at that price.

Also, if you're not in the mood to do missions, you can have all kinds of fun just screwing around and enjoying the scenery, which is really amazing.

God I will never understand Graphic Cards...and what not..

Is killing floor a demanding game graphic wise? the pics look pretty good..

I have

ATI 3000
5.7 gig RAM
2.80 GHz
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 830 Processor
2.9 Video Ram
622.9 Gig free space

PASS on Killing floor? or Buy

Thank you in advance (apologize for my ignorance in subject once again)

last i read, tri sli gtx480 aren't even powerful enough to play metro2033 sufficiently. haha

who knows with gtx580, but gtx580 is only 10% increase of gtx480 output with less heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back