Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dohboy563']God I will never understand Graphic Cards...and what not..

Is killing floor a demanding game graphic wise? the pics look pretty good..
[/QUOTE]

It's not graphically complex. I'm sure you'll be able to run it.

I finally gave in and got Just Cause 2. I hope to see some crazy deal before Christmas holiday though,

[quote name='RollingSkull']This challenge reminds me why I utterly detest Beat Hazard.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, at least one of the following is true:

1. The Beat hazard challenge is considerably more demanding than, say, the Shatter challenge.

2. I suck at Beat Hazard.

3. I can't concentrate on Beat Hazard, because I'm so distracted by how little the action on my screen has to do with the song I've picked.

Anyone know if the Sam and Max games need to be played in order? Mainly do I need to play the early seasons before playing the Devils Playhouse episodes?

Edit - Erp! Sorry didnt mean to post this in steam deal but instead in the normal steam topic. Thanks to provis anyways!

[quote name='MSI Magus']Anyone know if the Sam and Max games need to be played in order? Mainly do I need to play the early seasons before playing the Devils Playhouse episodes?[/QUOTE]

You don't need to play the early ones to enjoy the new ones but they do build on top of each other and reference earlier episodes. You will probably miss out on a lot if you didn't.

Beat Hazard goal wasn't too bad after I leveled up a bit then started using Daft Punk's "Discovery" album, starting on Superheroes; that song ramps up nicely so you can get full power without too much effort then you ultimately get a fair amount of bosses thrown at you after that.

It also helped once I figured out what some of the stuff like "Dare Devil" meant and I started using that to jack up my multiplier.

[quote name='frpilot']last i read, tri sli gtx480 aren't even powerful enough to play metro2033 sufficiently. haha[/QUOTE]

is this serious?

[quote name='Dohboy563']God I will never understand Graphic Cards...and what not..

I have

ATI 3000
5.7 gig RAM
2.80 GHz
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 830 Processor
2.9 Video Ram
622.9 Gig free space

PASS on Killing floor? or Buy

Thank you in advance (apologize for my ignorance in subject once again)[/QUOTE]

ATI 3000? Isn't that intergrated graphics? I would say no.

I say get a graphics card and you'll have a good gaming computer.

[quote name='Unicorntard']ATI 3000? Isn't that intergrated graphics? I would say no.

I say get a graphics card and you'll have a good gaming computer.[/QUOTE]

Okay thank you

[quote name='frpilot']last i read, tri sli gtx480 aren't even powerful enough to play metro2033 sufficiently. haha

who knows with gtx580, but gtx580 is only 10% increase of gtx480 output with less heat.[/QUOTE]

No way, tri sli GTX 480 are overkill!

It all depends on resolution. It doesn't take much to max out settings at 1080p. Its when you run double that you have problems. Personally, I play all my PC games on my Media PC w/ 60 inch 1080p plasma and it looks great to me. I have a GTX470 and everything runs well enough with max settings.

picked up Beat Hazard last night, and hit 6600000 pts in Survival mode this morning using...Weird Al Yankovic, Jurrassic Park Album. :D His polkas are EPIC!

Everyone's talk of playing Beat Hazard is making me want to buy it. Thought I'd pass, but I guess I'll pick it up when I pick up Killing Floor.

Man, I'm waiting for an issue with my account to be resolved (someone sent me a gift but then either cc bounced by accident or they chargebacked deliberately) so now I have to wait until steam support gets to me to tell me whether or not I have to pay $30 (or more if they bought ruse from another region) which really sucks. Plus im going to miss part of this sale.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']still trying to decide on Just Cause. $7.50 is cheap but my backlog is well large. Damn you Steam!!!!![/QUOTE]

I hear ya man. Between the sales this summer on Steam, D2D, and the current BoGo @ BBV, I have an enormous backlog. And yet I keep buying...

I have

ATI 3000
5.7 gig RAM
2.80 GHz
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 830 Processor
2.9 Video Ram
622.9 Gig free space

PASS on Killing floor? or Buy

Thank you in advance (apologize for my ignorance in subject once again)[/QUOTE]

Killing Floor is not that demanding. You most likely have a HD 3300 which should be good to go. I would say medium- to medium low graphic settings on a 1280x1024 resolution.

I would pick it up and give it a shot.

I am able to play Metro 2033 at very high settings with this rig averaging over 30 FPS:
Intel Core i5 650- 3.2 GHz (dual core)
8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon 6850

The trick is to make it run in DX9 instead of DX11. I also want to lock in the FPS a little (occasionally it dips below 30) so I'm going to try Vsync.

So yeah, it's not crazy demanding.

Killing Floor is not demanding at all. I ran it on a netbook pretty well (it had a core 2 solo processor at 1.4 GHz, some crappy integrated intel card, and 2 GB of RAM).

Just Cause 2 looks gorgeous with my current rig.

[quote name='Unicorntard']ATI 3000? Isn't that intergrated graphics? I would say no.

I say get a graphics card and you'll have a good gaming computer.[/QUOTE]
Nah, he should be able to run it. Killing Floor is not demanding at all. Read my post above.

[quote name='Xealot42']Got the Beat Hazard challenge pretty easily with the Super Meat Boy soundtrack (which is freaking awesome). ;)[/QUOTE]

Ooouuhhh I just bought that yesterday, I'll give it a go! Thx

I got the beat hazard goal pretty easy as well. Then again, I've had the game since the summer sale and already had my level ups. I don't imagine it would be very easy for someone starting from scratch. You probably need to level up some to get it. When you start at a 15-20 multiplier and get +5 per daredevil powerup, you can get into 90x multiplier quickly and start racking up pts.

I used Skillet - Awake Album. Took about 7 minutes to get 4 million.

Hey everyone.

I have an extra copy of Just Cause 2 if someone wants to purchase or trade games via Steam. I'll sell it for the recent sale price of $7.50.

Let me know. Send me a PM. Find me on Steam.

Ratchet Deadlocked soundtrack got me the points in 7 min, and I wasn't even leveled up that high.

I will never touch Beat Hazard again.

[quote name='RollingSkull']This challenge reminds me why I utterly detest Beat Hazard.

Metro 2033 requires you play for an hour or two to nail that, and that's just skipping a lot of the cutscenes, which are not particularly interesting anyway. It's a quality game, though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got it when I bought the THQ pack during the Summer sale. Played it for like and hour and 30 minutes and didnt touch it til now. Took me maybe 30 mins to get the challenge from where i was at. Good stuff tho, nice atmosphere and all. I would say it doesn't bother me at all that I cant see it to its full graphical potential. The feeling of traipsing around abandoned Russian subways while being chased by crazy monsters does it for me.

[quote name='jim5364']Hey everyone.

I have an extra copy of Just Cause 2 if someone wants to purchase or trade games via Steam. I'll sell it for the recent sale price of $7.50.

Let me know. Send me a PM. Find me on Steam.[/QUOTE]

I know 99% of steam users have Half Life 2 and Episode 1, but if you don't I'll trade you BOTH of those for Just Cause 2.

Also, is this the lowest Just Cause 2 has been? I've been wanting it but I don't want to buy it for $7.50 and have it go on sale for $5 or cheaper during the Christmas sale.

I think this is the same price as it was in the give and get sale too with the group buy? I'm not 100% sure though.

Chances are more than likely that this will show up again during the xmas sale at the same or even a lower price. Highly doubtful that it'd go for more than $7.50 during a sale.

[quote name='paz9x']well yeah, its a demanding game. I was specifically referring to your statement that tri-sli 480's have trouble with it.[/QUOTE]

it sounds insane, but 3-way sli scaling is not that efficient, more for the hardcore benchmarkers who want to push every ounce of performance they can get utilizing all available slots and video cards.

best to go with 2-way sli from a bang for your buck standpoint, as the 400 series scales great with dual sli. about 90%+ efficient in most benchmarks i've seen. that is where 2 video cards in sli are almost equivalent to 2x the power. in 3 way, the third card barely gets 30% increase in performance for the third card where the performance of 3 cards is only a little over 2x (instead of 3x) the power of a single card. better off using that third card in a new pc build.

So, has anybody here won yet? I haven't read the whole thread, but I've been reading it most days and haven't seen anybody mention it. I figured with 20 people winning every 2 days and most people on Steam probably not even having a wishlist, much less doing the objectives, we'd have pretty good odds.

Took me a few hours to get the Metro and Beat Hazard goals, but the Just Cause 2 one went by pretty quickly. You can get the achievement halfway through the first mission, as soon as you get access to that turret to shoot down the helicopter. Just start shooting everything and you'll have it in no time.

[quote name='nny']So, has anybody here won yet? I haven't read the whole thread, but I've been reading it most days and haven't seen anybody mention it. I figured with 20 people winning every 2 days and most people on Steam probably not even having a wishlist, much less doing the objectives, we'd have pretty good odds.[/QUOTE]

I have been wondering this as well. I haven't heard anyone say anything about winning but I have to hand it to the marketing folks at Valve. They keep coming up with great promotions like this. Even if I don't win anything I end up with some new games on the cheap and more importantly it got me to actually play several of them(many that I already owned).

[quote name='apbeatty']I have been wondering this as well. I haven't heard anyone say anything about winning but I have to hand it to the marketing folks at Valve. They keep coming up with great promotions like this. Even if I don't win anything I end up with some new games on the cheap and more importantly it got me to actually play several of them(many that I already owned).[/QUOTE]
Yeah definitely, I bought a couple of the indie games, and enjoyed all of them. I'm sure they've made more money on people chasing the achievements than they'll lost on giving away free games. It would be pretty incredible to win those 100 free games though!

I owned most of the indie games and smaller titles and a good portion of the larger ones. It seems like this sale is geared very much to TF2 players. They will buy anything for hats.

I wish valve posted like first name last initial and city or something of the winners every day. It would make me feel a bit better than nothing. I have no way of even knowing if I win. I eagerly go in and check my wishlist and see if 5 items are gone.

At least during the giveaways for the give and get sale they kept updating the giveaway page with the quantities of each game that was given away. I kinda wish they left that page up so we could go see it.

I have Zombie Driver, didn't care for Bob, and Civ V still more than I want to spend. I just need one more objective to get my second hat. Snag the free one for the final set of objectives and I am pretty good.

I've got both Zombie Driver and Bob and can say that they are both entertaining games for $2.50.

Zombie Driver is your basic top-down driver/shooter with objectives and tons of zombies to crush under your tires. In addition to a series of mission-based maps there's a relatively new Survival mode. It looks pretty good and there's lots of content.

Bob's a nice platform/puzzler that requires you to add a number of odd thruster pieces to a space ship and maneuver it through different levels, solving basic physics puzzles along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back