Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
havent bob and zombie driver both been cheaper? not like theres a big savings to be had, I just thought zombie driver was under $2 before and bob was part of a pack last holiday sale or something.

[quote name='topplehat']What exactly does the Bob achievement mean?[/QUOTE]

It's the name of the third chapter. Just complete that level and you've got the achievement/objective.

I recommend getting Bob as a good explorer/puzzler game, but it is short. Still worth the $2 I spent on it. Zombie Driver is a much better sale, I love that game. There has been two new free updates since the game came out, the first being the survival mode and the second being the race mode which came out a month ago. Not sure if they plan to add more, but in my opinion these devs deserve the money for doing such great updates that really extend the life of the game.

[quote name='paz9x']havent bob and zombie driver both been cheaper? not like theres a big savings to be had, I just thought zombie driver was under $2 before and bob was part of a pack last holiday sale or something.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. Bob Came in Pieces may have been cheaper during another sale or (more likely) on a different DD site, but this is about as cheap as ZD gets. It was at this price point for the last big sale.

For those complaining about Civ V's sale price, I have to ask what you were expecting. Civ V just came out--how likely is that anybody's going to have a 50-75% off sale on it? I don't see that happening for at least 6 months and possibly longer than that.

Why am I doing these? I don't even play TF2 let alone keep it installed.

I'm earning in-game hats for a game that I don't even fucking play but I can't stop...it's gotta be the underlying free games contest right? RIGHT?!

I'm going to go cry now.

I've been doing the achievements for fun and because I like the chance for free stuff. I didn't really care about winning the free games until I just saw NFS:HP on there. Now, I'd really like to win the free games. Two nights ago I got the Beat Hazard achievement and I figured I'd do the Just Cause 2 achievement last night, but I ended up playing Beat Hazard instead. I've had the game for awhile, but I only play it in spurts. I absolutely love it, but then get tired of it before too long. BH: Ultra is my most anticipated game right now though.

Glad to see Zombie Driver up there. I've been wanting an excuse to grab that. I'll probably grab the other cheap one as well.

[quote name='warreni']For those complaining about Civ V's sale price, I have to ask what you were expecting. Civ V just came out--how likely is that anybody's going to have a 50-75% off sale on it? I don't see that happening for at least 6 months and possibly longer than that.[/QUOTE]
First off, I'm a cheap ass, dude. :D

I was in at $30. I didn't think it was crazy to think it would get there. It's been $40 a couple of times before this at various places and I was hoping Steam would knock another $10 off that. It's been 3 months now. Virtually all AAA games older than 2 months could've been had at some point for $30 somewhere during the recent sales. FO:NV came out a month later than Civ and it's $30 today. AC:B came out a month ago today and it was $37 on Amazon yesterday.

[youtube]duN_Ob4cgHs[/youtube][youtube]9uiH-_d7InE[/youtube]

Objectives for 12/14-12/15
  • Smack Talker - Post a comment on a friend's Steam Community profile page
  • One-Hit Wonder - Build a Wonder in Civilization V
  • Road Rage - Set a leaderboard score of at least 10,515 for 'Slaughter, City Center' in Zombie Driver
  • Butter Me Up - Build Me Up Buttercup in Bob came in Pieces

Sales for 12/14-12/15

I've had a ton of fun with Zombie Driver. It gets a little repetitive, but it's great for short play sessions. It has loads of stuff to do and they recently added voice acting to the story mode, which is nice.

[quote name='warreni']I don't think so. Bob Came in Pieces may have been cheaper during another sale or (more likely) on a different DD site, but this is about as cheap as ZD gets. It was at this price point for the last big sale.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.
I sort of recall a pack with bob, ben there dan that, maybe and yet it moves.
ill probably end up gettign them both anyway.

[quote name='BitLooter']If I liked Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, would I like BCIP?[/QUOTE]

those dont strike me as similar games.

[quote name='speedracer']First off, I'm a cheap ass, dude. :D [/QUOTE]

I think we can all relate to that, at least.
I was in at $30. I didn't think it was crazy to think it would get there. It's been $40 a couple of times before this at various places and I was hoping Steam would knock another $10 off that. It's been 3 months now. Virtually all AAA games older than 2 months could've been had at some point for $30 somewhere during the recent sales. FO:NV came out a month later than Civ and it's $30 today. AC:B came out a month ago today and it was $37 on Amazon yesterday.

Hm. Well, I'd be surprised personally. I agree that there have been some huge sales on New Vegas, but I tend to attribute that to the fact that it's just 3 with some new skins, monsters, characters, and a story set elsewhere. I know that sounds like a new game to some people, but as f*****d up (and by that I mean "buggy") as 3 was, it doesn't seem that way to me. I doubt I'm the only person who's steering clear of it because it uses the exact same engine as its predecessor with no attempts to fix the problems that are inherent with that design choice.

But your other example, AC:Brotherhood, you list at a price point that mirrors Civ V's sale price today.

Maybe I'm just being argumentative--my wife says I do that--but I kinda figured if they had a sale on Civ today that it would be no more than 25%. Of course, if you wait a few years, after Civ VII comes out, you can probably get it with all the DLC for $10! :cool:

[quote name='evantrees']probably just some time after civ VI[/QUOTE]

Hopefully some time in-between (the purely fictional) Alpha Centauri 2 :drool: and Civ VI.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Why am I doing these? I don't even play TF2 let alone keep it installed.

I'm earning in-game hats for a game that I don't even fucking play but I can't stop...it's gotta be the underlying free games contest right? RIGHT?!

I'm going to go cry now.[/QUOTE]

It will all be worth it if you win 5 or 100 free games!

[quote name='paz9x']those dont strike me as similar games.[/QUOTE]
It looked like from the video/screenshots that you build or customize vehicles to pass through levels and complete objectives. I guess it's a more different than that, I'll just get the demo and try it myself.

Anyone planning on getting all the objectives? (I'm not ... just can't bring myself to throw down money on some of these titles, especially with the holiday sale on its way)

The idea behind the objectives is a great one. It gets people interested in the achievement system (some of whom may not have been interested in it), allows them to put individual games on sale in a way that people will really notice, helps them test out an idea for a future holiday sale where this is the emphasis, and gets people using the achievement system as a reason to justify making purchases they wouldn't otherwise make.

Anyone having a hard time getting the Road Rage achievement to unlock from Zombie Driver? I scored like 20k in Slaughter and it just won't reflect that on the homepage.

Completed the Bob came in Pieces objective, really simple just make it to the end of chapter 3, it took all of 12 minutes. That was my 10th completed objective and now I'm eligible for the 100 games drawing :D

[quote name='LazyTriangle']Completed the Bob came in Pieces objective, really simple just make it to the end of chapter 3, it took all of 12 minutes. That was my 10th completed objective and now I'm eligible for the 100 games drawing :D[/QUOTE]

Not yet :)

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']The idea behind the objectives is a great one. It gets people interested in the achievement system (some of whom may not have been interested in it), allows them to put individual games on sale in a way that people will really notice, helps them test out an idea for a future holiday sale where this is the emphasis, and gets people using the achievement system as a reason to justify making purchases they wouldn't otherwise make.[/QUOTE]

I said awhile back that I think they should continue this after the holidays. Sometime in January they should announce the start of the weekly "Steam community sale" or some such thing. Midweek every week one or two games go on sale and they have 2 achievements available to them that if you unlock you qualify for a free game. I think for the measly cost of a free game or two every week they can drive sales and foster the feeling of community. It takes a lot of different things to make a platform/product a success, but one thing that keeps it successful is when people feel they are not simply buying a product, but they are part of a community. Hell just look at the 360 and how despite the millions of red rings people kept buying multiple 360s, when I asked some of my friends why they would do that vs buying a PS3 they said because all their friends are on XBL and they just feel they have to be a part of that.

i gifted myself Bob today and i was shocked at how much fun that one is. I've had zombie driver forever and finally got that achievment...14/15 and ill be set for the big contest

either i have to pla a lot of l4d2 or start begging for friends =/

[youtube]DhdAUyLeH8o[/youtube][youtube]CJdBz_9m8ns[/youtube]
CheapAssGamerfullpicture.png

Visit the Worms discussion thread for the CAG map!

Steam Games on Sale

Gotta show Worms Reloaded some love. Custom maps are super easy and fun to make.

Worms is tempting, but with the holiday sale so close and so many games already having been bought I cant justify $10/50% off. $5 I think is my sweet spot.

Some of these arcade deals are tempting. But i have bought so many arcade/indie games, that i play a few times and never touch again.

I'm really hoping that there will be some nice sales for their major one.

To get "Smack Talker" you need to set your profile and comment privileges public and then post on friends wall. It then will unlock and you can delete your comment after you get it.

[quote name='Relysis']I just wanted to pop in and say how awesome that CAG map is.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I hope we get more CAG players and posts in the discussion thread so I'll be inspired to make additional maps. I'm most proud of the Bionic Commando map shown in the OP's YouTube video.

met 11 objectives. \o/

I wouldn't advise anyone to waste their cash on Zed Driver nor Bob came in pieces. Both were excruciatingly boring to play.

[quote name='fore1337']met 11 objectives. \o/

I wouldn't advise anyone to waste their cash on Zed Driver nor Bob came in pieces. Both were excruciatingly boring to play.[/QUOTE]

Bob is fun at first, but that ship handles so badly with the modifications you need to make that navigating sinks into tedium after, like, 15 minutes in.

[quote name='fore1337']met 11 objectives. \o/

I wouldn't advise anyone to waste their cash on Zed Driver nor Bob came in pieces. Both were excruciatingly boring to play.[/QUOTE]

Not at these prices at least.

Zombie Driver is decent enough at the prices it usually goes on sale at. The missions help break up a bit of the monotony that you find in slaughter mode (IMO likely all most people played since they just wanted to complete the objective). The developer has also provided great support for the game; last time I played it before yesterday I think there was only one game mode on the main menu, slaughter mode didn't even exist, and they only recently added the voiceovers to the game.

I couldn't play it for hours on end I don't think, but it's fun to run over some zombie droves off and on.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Bob is fun at first, but that ship handles so badly with the modifications you need to make that navigating sinks into tedium after, like, 15 minutes in.[/QUOTE]

I found that out in the demo. Saved me the 2.50.

[quote name='eastx']Zombie Driver is also much more fun with a controller, IMO.[/QUOTE]
Played it on an X360 controller... even set up the game to mimic the controls of a warthog. Even with that, it was tepid at best. It's just not my cup of tea.

Not sure where I got Bob, it must have been bundled with another game I was interested in. The game wouldn't have pissed me off so bad if they didn't keep the ship building in DEMO MODE through out the entire 3rd level.

Every damn time you change the ship it locks you into doing it the game's way then making you click the 'next button'

Meanwhile I wasn't having too much trouble navigating my ship... because I'd mod it, solve the puzzle, then go back and remove all of the mods before moving on. But the Demo mode kept prompting me to build my next problem solution. It was borderline infuriating.

[quote name='eastx']Zombie Driver is also much more fun with a controller, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Yeah fuck that game without a controller. I bought it awhile back when it still did not have controller support and I immediately uninstalled it. Now that it finally has controller support its a halfway decent 7/10 game.

Got all four objectives this time as I already had civ and the goal.

Bob took about 5-10 minutes.

Zombie driver was the most annoying. The game ran fine for the first 10 minutes or so and then would just chug. I restarted and after that it would always chug. I tried debug mode today and it worked great and got the goal in my first try. The whole time playing it I was wishing I was at home with a 360 controller. As much as I love steam, a lot of these indie games really are better suited to XBLA or PSN. This game would benefit a lot from the online infrastructure, community, uniform hardware, and controllers. I think they would be able to focus better and turn this game into a very tight controlling fun diversion. As it is I feel like I am dying more often because the controls performed in a way I didn't want them to then because of bad skill.

[quote name='pROvIs']Got all four objectives this time as I already had civ and the goal.

Bob took about 5-10 minutes.

Zombie driver was the most annoying. The game ran fine for the first 10 minutes or so and then would just chug. I restarted and after that it would always chug. I tried debug mode today and it worked great and got the goal in my first try. The whole time playing it I was wishing I was at home with a 360 controller. As much as I love steam, a lot of these indie games really are better suited to XBLA or PSN. This game would benefit a lot from the online infrastructure, community, uniform hardware, and controllers. I think they would be able to focus better and turn this game into a very tight controlling fun diversion. As it is I feel like I am dying more often because the controls performed in a way I didn't want them to then because of bad skill.[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem with Zombie Driver. For some reason the frame rate always seems to be screwed up, sometime its small and while its noticeable I can play....but Christ other times its downright unplayable.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I have the same problem with Zombie Driver. For some reason the frame rate always seems to be screwed up, sometime its small and while its noticeable I can play....but Christ other times its downright unplayable.[/QUOTE]

Try running the debug.exe in the steamapps folder. That made it run great for me at least today. It looks like the developer recommends this a lot for users having issues.

I have 14 objectives, most without even trying except for Poker Night and Chime, which were worthy purchases. Already just "had" most of the rest.

Hopefully I'll get one from the last day and I'll get the 15 hat and be done.

So what does everyone think about the Civ 5 price? Do you think they'll put it on sale again during the Christmas sale? I want to maximize my limited year-end gaming budget, of course ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back