Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
For f**k's sake, my brother bought Killing Floor for $6.80 and I know that Potato pack is gonna be like $10-20, and I really wanted Amnesia. That damn idiot I told him to not buy anything without my permission.

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']For f**k's sake, my brother bought Killing Floor for $6.80 and I know that Potato pack is gonna be like $10-20, and I really wanted Amnesia. That damn idiot I told him to not buy anything without my permission.[/QUOTE]

Killing Floor is worth $50, I paid $20 and have bought all the DLC for it.

Why the fuck do you share you account with your brother? that's just absurd. Man up and get your own account.

It's true, most indie games aren't worthwhile. Of all the ones I try, only a handful get played regularly.

But the thing is, the same is true for AAA titles, as well. The fact is, most games are mediocre at best. It's not "most indie games suck", it's "most games suck". We just notice the indie games because bad AAA titles get bad press (and are therefore easier to avoid), whereas bad indie games get no press.

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']For f**k's sake, my brother bought Killing Floor for $6.80 and I know that Potato pack is gonna be like $10-20, and I really wanted Amnesia. That damn idiot I told him to not buy anything without my permission.[/QUOTE]

How exactly do you KNOW the Potato pack will be $10-$20?

Doesn't it contain about 13 or so games? I would be highly surprised if it was under $30. Oh yeah, and as the other poster said, get your own damn account and stop bitching at your brother.

I would be a little miffed, if steam did not put on sale a cricket pack, for their holiday sale:

Brian Lara International Cricket 2007
Ashes Cricket 2009
Cricket Revolution

for about $5-$10 especially with The Ashes going on, maybe also on boxing day, steam should put a sale on those three games, and/or a cricket pack...

If the cost of the indie game is cheap, I don't mind paying for it.

Flotilla is a great example of an indie title I LOVE. Defense Grid, Minecraft, Chime, Beat Hazard, Super Meat Boy...

There are great quality indie games, but you do have to wade through some pretty raunchy ones. Then again, I have purchased most of them below $10.

I've been gaming forever, and personally, Steam has really revived my interest and love for games precisely because of all of the great indie games. Some of them are worth the price to me and some are not, but they're all pretty cheap and taking a chance on something unknown can really yield some true gems.

On to the Christmas sale... I want at least:

- Dead Rising 2 for at least 60% off.
- Dragon Age Origins for 50% off (or Ultimate for under $20!)
- Wolfenstein 75% off
- Fallout New Vegas under $20
- The Witcher (Enhanced) $6 for more than 2 hours
- Super Meat Boy 50% off
- Ion Assault 75% off
- Monday Night Combat 50% off

[quote name='hal']
- Monday Night Combat 50% off[/QUOTE]

You do realize MNC isn't available until January, right?

[quote name='hal']
On to the Christmas sale... I want at least:

- Dead Rising 2 for at least 60% off.
- Dragon Age Origins for 50% off (or Ultimate for under $20!)
- Wolfenstein 75% off
- Fallout New Vegas under $20
- The Witcher (Enhanced) $6 for more than 2 hours
- Super Meat Boy 50% off
- Ion Assault 75% off
- Monday Night Combat 50% off[/QUOTE]

I hope your childhood has prepared you to be disappointed.

i just need a few friends to get this challenge (funny how many of my friends only play on consoles.)

SecretAgentHam is the name. feel free to add me.

sweet already got results. you guys rock. only need two more people.

i'll stay accepting for anyone else who needs it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SecretAgentHam']i just need a few friends to get this challenge (funny how many of my friends only play on consoles.)

SecretAgentHam is the name. feel free to add me.[/QUOTE]

added, i have that same problem. i only need one more add now. http://steamcommunity.com/id/derextreme

still not receiving credit for giving a gift, and i sent one to my brother last night. kinda of worried about that one cause i'd be stuck buying another game to try to get another objective.

[quote name='Derextreme']added, i have that same problem. i only need one more add now. http://steamcommunity.com/id/derextreme

still not receiving credit for giving a gift, and i sent one to my brother last night. kinda of worried about that one cause i'd be stuck buying another game to try to get another objective.[/QUOTE]

have you tried confirming wether or not they accepted the gift?

i'm on the same boat.

[quote name='Derextreme']i was wondering if they had to accept it. i texted him and told him he needs to. hopefully he gets on the ball and does it soon.[/QUOTE]

how many objectives do you have left? i only need two more to complete my 10! XD but i'm going to shoot for 15 just for the TF2 hat.

[quote name='aeris']I would be a little miffed, if steam did not put on sale a cricket pack, for their holiday sale:

Brian Lara International Cricket 2007
Ashes Cricket 2009
Cricket Revolution

for about $5-$10 especially with The Ashes going on, maybe also on boxing day, steam should put a sale on those three games, and/or a cricket pack...[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s

[quote name='MSI Magus']Exactly. There are plenty of games I dislike but I try not to call them trash or insult them based just on the fact that I dislike them. What should(but sadly rarely does)separate Adults an Children is the abilty to put your own feelings aside. As an adult if we went to a party and someone tried to serve us cabbage and we hate cabbage we dont call it poopy or stupid or crap, we just say sorry I dont like cabbage. For some reason though when talking about entertainment media people become 5 year olds again and insult anything they dislike.

If a game is good it is not hard to see the inherent quality regardless of love or hate for that game. I hate Braid, but I can still see its a quality game. Same with any co op heavy game such as RE5.[/QUOTE]

Wait, so not having an opinion on something makes you an adult? Your points are rather ridiculous considering you're using an example which equates to someone giving you something and you politely declining it rather than insulting your host. Last time I checked, Developers of Indie games have never invited me over and given me one of their games for free.

I pay money for games, you pay money for games, we all pay for these games and it's perfectly fine and adult to have a clear opinion of a game once you've tried it out. I've played many an Indie game and found myself disappointed. That isn't the same as saying "All Indie Games suck," which is a blanket statement that would be childish to make. However, for me personally, 9 times out of 10 I find myself if not blatantly disappointed with Indie titles then only going back to them once or twice. That to me is not the mark of a good game, a good game keeps you coming back. However, as another poster stated, it's true, excellent AAA games are far and few between. Plus, when you factor in personal preference and opinions, then that also narrows the category on an individual basis.

I'm sorry that as an "adult" you're unable to criticize certain games in a vocal way, but if you're paying money for something, you should be able to freely respond with either criticism or praise for it. While I agree that it is childish to simply say something sucks or is trash without providing proper reasons why you believe that, I find your statements written in a tone of arrogance which also tends to define quite a few posters in the gaming community. There is no question that preferences are subjective ... most things in life are subjective, that's just how it is. However, there's no reason to call people children when they have a clear opinion on something.

looks like the Serious Sam HD games are going to be 75% off on Steam, according to a video on gametrailers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-santa-serious-sam/708575

serioussamhd.jpg

[quote name='radioactivez0r']My point was really that calling something terrible is hugely different (IMO) from saying one doesn't like it/it isn't for them.[/QUOTE]

I fail to see a difference. It is a personal opinion. Not everyone has to like the same games you do. There is no "proving" that a game is or isn't horrible, or bad, or good, or whatever. The quality of a game is whatever the consumer says it is. I don't see why games are any different than movies, music or whatever. Their value is ultimately decided by consumers. If I find Chime or Shatter to be horrible games that I can't stand then that is that. I don't even feel they are worth the $2.50 I paid for them.

I can't get over how touchy some of you guys are over video games. This is the second time someone has given me crap because I have an opinion about a video game. Previously, two guys gave me crap when I said I didn't like Chime. Can't take the fact we're not all robots that act and think the same, I guess?

[quote name='etcrane']Wait, so not having an opinion on something makes you an adult? Your points are rather ridiculous considering you're using an example which equates to someone giving you something and you politely declining it rather than insulting your host. Last time I checked, Developers of Indie games have never invited me over and given me one of their games for free.

I pay money for games, you pay money for games, we all pay for these games and it's perfectly fine and adult to have a clear opinion of a game once you've tried it out. I've played many an Indie game and found myself disappointed. That isn't the same as saying "All Indie Games suck," which is a blanket statement that would be childish to make. However, for me personally, 9 times out of 10 I find myself if not blatantly disappointed with Indie titles then only going back to them once or twice. That to me is not the mark of a good game, a good game keeps you coming back. However, as another poster stated, it's true, excellent AAA games are far and few between. Plus, when you factor in personal preference and opinions, then that also narrows the category on an individual basis.

I'm sorry that as an "adult" you're unable to criticize certain games in a vocal way, but if you're paying money for something, you should be able to freely respond with either criticism or praise for it. While I agree that it is childish to simply say something sucks or is trash without providing proper reasons why you believe that, I find your statements written in a tone of arrogance which also tends to define quite a few posters in the gaming community. There is no question that preferences are subjective ... most things in life are subjective, that's just how it is. However, there's no reason to call people children when they have a clear opinion on something.[/QUOTE]

^ What this guy said. I wasn't even going to bother replying to his ridiculous post. Although his "I would never insult a game" line was priceless -- seriously, games have feelings?

On the leaked list the Potato Pack looks amazing and is hopefully $30 or less then I'll pick it up. I own Audiosurf, BTT, Braid, Cogs, and Defense Grid already but it'd be worth it at that price for Aaaaaa, Amnesia, Killing Floor, SMB, The Ball, and Toki Tori since I've been wanting those! Actually seeing it I guess I'd be willing to pay $40 but $50 is my limit on the sale since I don't really buy newer games.
- Indie Potato Pack: AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Audiosurf, Bit.Trip Beat, Braid, Cogs, Defense Grid, Killing Floor, Red Orchestra, Super Meat Boy, The Ball, The Wonderful End of the world, Toki Tori

I'm definitely in for the Fright Pack at $5 too! Glad I held off on Zombie Driver!
- Indie Fright Pack: Burn Zombie Burn, The Path, The Scourge Project, The Void, Zombie Driver

Probably will buy the Kids Pack for my nephew and me to try out.
- Indie Kids Pack: Delve Deeper, Crayon Physics, Max & Magic Marker, Secret of Magic Crystal, Toki Tori

I'm debating on these last 2 packs..

I already own Cogs and Eufloria and want the other 3 games in the Mix pack but would like to get Multiwinia with Darwinia and am still debating on whether I'd even like Defcon or Plain Sight. Any thoughts on those 2 games?
- Indie Mix Pack: Cogs, Darwinia, Defcon, Eufloria, Plain Sight

Most of these sound decent especially Big Brain Wolf. Any thoughts on any of these games?
- Indie Brain Pack: Big Brain Wolf, Diamond Dan, Puzzle Bots, Windowsill, Zen Bound 2

That potatoe pack is so effing bought. Didn't even realize I wanted half those games until I saw them all together. The only one I actively wanted was Amnesia so I'd easily pay $20-30, but hopefully it'll only be $10 or so.

[quote name='Trelow']I hope your childhood has prepared you to be disappointed.[/QUOTE]

:applause::lol:

It's shame I already own all that I want from the great "Potato Pack"

Then again, I already own all I want.:bouncy:

[quote name='SecretAgentHam']how many objectives do you have left? i only need two more to complete my 10! XD but i'm going to shoot for 15 just for the TF2 hat.[/QUOTE]

if i ever get credit for the gift i'll only need one. i'll get that from metro 2033 since i got it in the thq pack over the summer.

[quote name='etcrane']Wait, so not having an opinion on something makes you an adult? Your points are rather ridiculous considering you're using an example which equates to someone giving you something and you politely declining it rather than insulting your host. Last time I checked, Developers of Indie games have never invited me over and given me one of their games for free.

I'm sorry that as an "adult" you're unable to criticize certain games in a vocal way, but if you're paying money for something, you should be able to freely respond with either criticism or praise for it. While I agree that it is childish to simply say something sucks or is trash without providing proper reasons why you believe that, I find your statements written in a tone of arrogance which also tends to define quite a few posters in the gaming community. There is no question that preferences are subjective ... most things in life are subjective, that's just how it is. However, there's no reason to call people children when they have a clear opinion on something.[/QUOTE]

I will say this and drop it since East X has asked for us to move on. I never said that you could never criticize anything, I said you cant insult it in such a childish manor or make broad generalizations as Mr Hotdog mustard guy did. If you say "I do not like game X because reason X" that's criticizing and perfectly fine. If you say all indy games or all FPSers or some other genre are trash...then that is a huge broad generalization that shows you are not capable of setting personal feelings aside. If I love a game I can still see its faults because I am an adult, and if I hate it again as an adult I can still see if it has strengths. I still say I hate game X and I still say I think this or that was weak about it....but I dont trash a whole genre, style or platform based on a like or dislike.

As I said, I just wanted to clarify that point and will now drop the subject at East X's request.

Which map is the Beach level in Flight Control HD that I need to land 37 craft in? I may be mistaken but I didn't see any name above each of the maps.

[quote name='Cleaner7']Which map is the Beach level in Flight Control HD that I need to land 37 craft in? I may be mistaken but I didn't see any name above each of the maps.[/QUOTE]

The game annoyingly does not display map names. But it's this one:

flight-control-v1-2-beach-300x200.jpg

The in-game leaderboard browser was down yesterday, but I was able to view my standing by checking it through the stats page of the Community section of Steam.

[quote name='eastx']The game annoyingly does not display map names. But it's this one:

flight-control-v1-2-beach-300x200.jpg

The in-game leaderboard browser was down yesterday, but I was able to view my standing by checking it through the stats page of the Community section of Steam.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! That's the second map I beat with at least 37 points since I thought it looked the most like a beach. Checked my Treasure Hunt page and it was an open chest. My 15th and final objective complete! It was fun while it lasted! Now time for the Holiday sale tomorrow! :drool:

[quote name='MSI Magus']I will say this and drop it since East X has asked for us to move on. I never said that you could never criticize anything, I said you cant insult it in such a childish manor or make broad generalizations as Mr Hotdog mustard guy did. If you say "I do not like game X because reason X" that's criticizing and perfectly fine. If you say all indy games or all FPSers or some other genre are trash...then that is a huge broad generalization that shows you are not capable of setting personal feelings aside. If I love a game I can still see its faults because I am an adult, and if I hate it again as an adult I can still see if it has strengths. I still say I hate game X and I still say I think this or that was weak about it....but I dont trash a whole genre, style or platform based on a like or dislike.

As I said, I just wanted to clarify that point and will now drop the subject at East X's request.[/QUOTE]

Well, I may not be an adult like you (lol) but at least I can read. You are living in la-la-land or totally incapable of reading and comprehending what is said if you believe the bolded. Especially considering since I listed three indie games I like but I so obviously said they were all trash. :roll:

Oh well, I didn't bother responding to you half of the time because you're not worth it. You're probably some 20 year old kid in community college lecturing the rest of us on what it's like to be an adult.

[quote name='evilwrath666']Will you people shut up? This is beyond annoying.[/QUOTE]

Telling people to shut up really does not help. I made my post and said I would be done and I was. I saw his last post like an hour ago and simply put him on ignore and went on. Hopefully a mod will clean up the topic, but regardless telling people to shut up just interjects yourself in to the problem.

If you guys still need to finish up the friends achievement, you can friend me. (I already have over 10, but I just want to help those who don't yet).

http : // steamcommunity . com/profiles(slash)76561197965052891

Sorry for the formatting, I just don't want any webcrawlers picking up my link.

[quote name='Nohbdy']You do realize MNC isn't available until January, right?[/QUOTE]

No, didn't notice that, so I'll cross that off my wishlist.

[quote name='Trelow']I hope your childhood has prepared you to be disappointed.[/QUOTE]

Those're just things I'd like to see. Some of them are possible and others maybe not. So I won't be disappointed if they don't happen.

Dragon Age has a sequel on the horizon and previous sales have crossed the $20 threshold. Wolfenstein is now old news and hasn't been discounted much thus far. Fallout New Vegas is going for sub-$30 now, so why not wish for a bit more? The Witcher was briefly at that price last year. Super Meat Boy has already been on sale and that still puts it at a reasonable $7 price point. There were some ridiculously good deals last year, so who knows?

[quote name='apbeatty']So how did everyone do in terms of number of objectives completed? I ended up with 19 of the 28 and I had a lot of fun doing it.[/QUOTE]

I got 21. I could have received a few more but abstained because I knew I wasn't going to get 28 and buy the more expensive games. I had a ton of fun getting them and played a lot of games I wouldn't have otherwise.

[quote name='apbeatty']So how did everyone do in terms of number of objectives completed? I ended up with 19 of the 28 and I had a lot of fun doing it.[/QUOTE]

I think I got 11. Was only shooting for 10, but the last one (play X number of Steam games) was a gimme and put me over the top. It was fun having a good reason to play games I had bought and not yet played (and buying a couple of new ones), but if I wasn't having fun earning the objective, I usually chose to move on to something else.

I ended up getting 11. Was gonna shoot for 15 but unless I buy something I wouldn't be able to get but 14. Still had fun though, steam should do this type of thing more often.

I got to 19, could get to 21 with Bob and Flight Control but probably not. Got an insane score on Shatter and a decent one on droplitz. Funny I had half of these completed already so I didn't even have to do anything.

[quote name='Cleaner7']Thanks! That's the second map I beat with at least 37 points since I thought it looked the most like a beach. Checked my Treasure Hunt page and it was an open chest. My 15th and final objective complete! It was fun while it lasted! Now time for the Holiday sale tomorrow! :drool:[/QUOTE]

Is this game much better than the numerous cell phone versions? I like the game on my phone but don't know if I need it on PC.

Ahahaha, the Flight Control objective is the one I have the most overkill on. I actually bought that game on launch, and I already had a score of about 200 on that level, but oddly, the objective didn't automatically register, so I had to go play it again.

Looking forward to tomorrow. :)

[quote name='pROvIs']Is this game much better than the numerous cell phone versions? I like the game on my phone but don't know if I need it on PC.[/QUOTE]

I bought it for the iTouch over a year ago and really liked it but decided to pick up the PC version as part of the sale. I actually really dig the PC version for a few reasons. First of all you don't have your finger blocking the screen when you are frantically trying to draw paths. Secondly the mouse is just more accurate and easier to deal with.

The music will drive you insane after a few minutes so I suggest going to the options and turning it all the way down and playing your own music.

I did 28... Probably the worst for me was Beat Hazard. That took way too long. Shatter was easy, once I used the mouse. Metro 2033 and Mafia 2 are fantastic games. Hope to finish those two soon.

I got 20 of them. I really only bought four games from the sale - all of which I was interested in anyway: Chime, Poker Night, AaAaAaA!!, and Flight Control. The rest I had already or skipped.

I could potentially get 22 if I got lucky in Poker Night and managed to get Metro 2033 to run properly once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back