Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jaredhenry13']Yeah WTF that sounds like an awesome pack. Shows up as not available for me too.[/QUOTE]

seems to be working now but the price is $19.99, I own 3 of the games on that pack so I'll pass

[quote name='jaredhenry13']I don't want to tell you how to live your life, but honestly Fallout 3 GOTY for $21 is a STEAL. It's worth every penny at even $60.[/QUOTE]
Don't get me wrong, I know it's a good deal. I just, can't really justify it personally at $21. Especially after the $13 something price glitch last year. Yes it was a glitch and a few people got in on it but I just can't see paying more than $15 currently. I've got New Vegas and I'll just keep playing through that for now.

[quote name='cscream1']what happens on the last day of the sale??[/QUOTE]

Some of the items on sale appeared as part of the daily deal sale eventually for cheaper prices.

Got SMB, Fear 1, PB Winterbottom (I couldn't resist!) and Oddboxx. 5 Games for less than 20 bucks? Very nice.

My wallet wants to cry now, at the amount of spending I'm sure will happen later.

[quote name='SamusXtreme']All these amazing deals and Recettear, the only game I care about, will either be a daily deal or won't be on-sale at all.

I hate you, steam.

Guess I'll have to settle for Super Meat Boy.
[/QUOTE]

Wasn't Recettear just part of one of those $5 indie bundle packs recently?

Always wait until the last day because a decent percentage of the games you want will be a daily deal between now and then. Save even more money to spend on more games.

Anyone have recommendations for overlooked games? As I said in a previous post my fav part of last years sale was not mark downs on big name games but instead finding stuff like Nation Red which I had never heard of and turned out to be amazing games. I am on the hunt for stuff like that right now...but it is difficult because most of what I am finding either has no meta critic score or a horrible meta critic score.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']I don't want to tell you how to live your life, but honestly Fallout 3 GOTY for $21 is a STEAL. It's worth every penny at even $60.[/QUOTE]

Fallout is many many many hours of gameplay. I'm at 60+ hours and I haven't touched any DLC whatsoever and haven't finished all the sidequests. A friend of mine has 120 hours IIRC. I do believe that GOTY edition is an easy 100 hours of gameplay.

And so it begins........Trying to restrain myself to only pick up the daily deals and wait until the end of the sale to get everything else. I am going all out this year cause I just sold my PS3 and bought a new video card so I only plan on PC gaming for awhile.

In for BFBC2 and Super Meat Boy for today.

Considering F1 2010 but I already have a bunch of racing games to play and $20 is still steep considering the price of most games I will pick up.

On the last day of the sale you can buy games you were waiting to go on daily deals if they didn't go on daily deals. That way you didn't buy a game not in a daily deal and have it be cheaper on a daily deal in a few days.

Sometimes the stuff that's on sale gets an even deeper discount as a Daily Deal so you don't want to buy anything immediately because the price might get slashed more over the sale period.

EDIT: Ninja'd by jaredhenry13 and JP :)

[quote name='Psybuster']THQ pack doesn't include Darksiders. BOO![/QUOTE]

Argh, I'm right there with you, friend. :(

I will probably bite on a sale for that at around $10-15. C'mon Chrimbus Bush, make it happen!

Edit: Also, HOLY FRAKKING HECK WHAT A SALE SO FAR. Awesome, awesome, awesome! I'm really glad they're going different sale batches where there are a gaggle of daily deal games and ongoing sales through January 2nd.

I knew preordering SMB at $10 would have been a bad idea with the holiday sale around the corner. In at $3.75 :)

Some nice indie packs but I already have all the indie games I want. Oh, and Falout 3 GotY at $21 is awesome... the game is immense.

o well that's good to know :) thank for all the replies everybody!!

but i guess that's bad news for f1 2010 since it's a daily deal today @ 20...when u can get the entire valve catalog for 25 :/

[quote name='hellhunde']Wasn't Recettear just part of one of those $5 indie bundle packs recently?[/QUOTE]I was probably drunk that day and missed it.

I'm still blaming Steam.

I was going to try and resist, or at least hold off for a while, but SMB, Fear Complete and PB Winterbottom for $13 was just too much. I'll wait on anything else until closer to the end, in case it ends up being a Deal of the Day. Pretty much the only other thing I want would be Sword of the Stars Complete. Its on sale for $10, but I'd like to see $5. :)

I'm tempted by FO3... but when I have 50+ games sitting in my client never played - and that's before the sale - I just can't justify $20 for a game I may never get around to.

[quote name='SamusXtreme']I was probably drunk that day and missed it.

I'm still blaming Steam.[/QUOTE]

Its some RPG where you own a store, and some fairy convinces you to kill bad guys to upgrade your store, right? I thin I considered that pack, but the game just seemed.... odd.

In for SMB and the FEAR 2 DLC.

All the FEAR DLC is also 75% off, so you can pick and choose which ones you need if you already own the base games.

Swords and soldiers looks good at $5 but I will wait to see if it has a daily deal.

I'm in for BFBC2, and SMB even though I have both on 360. Probably oddbox as well but the price still seems a bit high for that. I'd bite at 7.50

Anyone have an opinion on the Prince of Persia games? Metascores look pretty solid, but I'm looking for a series to compare them to before I take the plunge.

Definitely in for the Oddworld Pack and Super Meat Boy to start.

[quote name='MBENNE']Anyone have an opinion on the Prince of Persia games? Metascores look pretty solid, but I'm looking for a series to compare them to before I take the plunge.

Definitely in for the Oddworld Pack and Super Meat Boy to start.[/QUOTE]

Great games, everyone one of them. They are hybrid action platformers. They share characteristics of Assasin's Creed, GoW, and Mirror's edge.

Holy hot damn that is one CHEAP Super Meat Boy.

Gonna grab that and Deus Ex Collection, because the new game coming out looks great and I wanna be prepared.

Ahhh I'm totally stalking this thread.
I can't make a decision! Not sure whether to wait for the last day of sales or buy now, can anyone tell me which games are absolutely steals that I can buy knowing it won't go cheaper, or is it that unpredictable O:?
If so, can anyone list me some of the better games/deals out there?
There's so much!

Ugh, too many choices. And too much of a backlog. The Oddbox is tempting, I'm just not sure if I'll ever get around to it. Same with SMB. And I've had my eye on Sands of Time for a while now (for some reason the other PoP games just don't really interest me. Well, maybe the newest one.)

I'm also wondering if Civ IV is going to get any cheaper - although at $6 for Civ IV Complete, I don't know how much cheaper it can get...

Ugh. Stupid Steam, having such awesome sales. There goes my gaming budget for 2012 (2011 was spent during their summer sale.)

[quote name='SamusXtreme']I was probably drunk that day and missed it.

I'm still blaming Steam.[/QUOTE]

Indie Story Pack, November 25th $4.99

Pretty much bought it solely for Recettear. Came with And Yet It Moves, Gish, Jolly Rover, and Puzzle Agent.

For today's sale, pretty much looking at SMB and Portal at $2.25 if you own Half life 2.

Also Recettear is you running a store, buying and selling stuff to make money to pay off a debt. There's a dungeon element that advances the story separate from the main storyline. You end up with your merchant level which is gained through buying/selling in your shop and multiple adventurer levels which are people who have taken a liking to you and agree to go to dungeons with you. The game officially ends when you reach the end of the calendar, like ~30 days, and then you get options to continue in various mode. The one thing that ends up being odd is that the adventurers are separate entities from you so, to gear them up you either have to bring the items into the dungeons with you (thereby limiting your bag space) or they buy the gear from your store when they visit (thereby being something they carry start the dungeon with). It's a decent game and i would give it a 75/100 rating on just the basics of the game, then depending on whether you like certain types of elements it would go up from there. Ie. anime/art style, rogue-like dungeoning, cutesy.

The one thing about this game that's hit or miss is that for a perfectionist, the dungeoning element is secondary to the game at first. It's really hard to meet the time limits if you go out to the dungeons too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really torn on the Prince of Persia series. I just played the forgotten sands on my PS3 and really loved it so I want to try the rest of the series....but at the same time they are remaking the whole series in HD for the PS3....so do I wait for a sale on the HD remakes or do I grab them right now for only like $2.50 each!

[quote name='MSI Magus']I am really torn on the Prince of Persia series. I just played the forgotten sands on my PS3 and really loved it so I want to try the rest of the series....but at the same time they are remaking the whole series in HD for the PS3....so do I wait for a sale on the HD remakes or do I grab them right now for only like $2.50 each![/QUOTE]

Oh man I didn't realize they were doing that. I may just pick up the Forgotten Sands then and save the others for the HD remake.

[quote name='chickenbutt']Is this a one day only sale or is there going to be more stuff tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

The sale goes on for quite a few days. There will be different daily deals tomorrow.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I am really torn on the Prince of Persia series. I just played the forgotten sands on my PS3 and really loved it so I want to try the rest of the series....but at the same time they are remaking the whole series in HD for the PS3....so do I wait for a sale on the HD remakes or do I grab them right now for only like $2.50 each![/QUOTE]

If it helps your decision at all, the PS3 ports look pretty crappy and the PC versions already support HD by virtue of being PC games.

[quote name='INCyr']

I'm also wondering if Civ IV is going to get any cheaper - although at $6 for Civ IV Complete, I don't know how much cheaper it can get...
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here. At this point even a Daily Deal could only make a few dollars cheaper. Realistically I can't see it going for less than $5 anyway. I may not wait until the end of the sale to pick this up. It's kind of a double dip for me anyway as I own the retail Civ 4 disc, but none of the expansions.

I'm holding off on Civ 5 until the last day, though. I feel a daily deal for that :p

[quote name='SamusXtreme']All these amazing deals and Recettear, the only game I care about, will either be a daily deal or won't be on-sale at all.

I hate you, Steam.

Guess I'll have to settle for Super Meat Boy.
[/QUOTE]

WTF? Why would you settle for a genuinely excellent game? I, for one, would be pissed if I was missing out on some weeaboo RPG built around everyone's favorite part of the genre, inventory management.

Has anyone actually played the PC versions of the prince of persia games? How did they run? I generally get worried about buying console games on the PC since they are often horribly buggy.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']On the last day of the sale you can buy games you were waiting to go on daily deals if they didn't go on daily deals. That way you didn't buy a game not in a daily deal and have it be cheaper on a daily deal in a few days.[/QUOTE]

Last year it was all the stuff that had daily deals earlier during the sale and it was more a day to let you catch up on stuff. GTA4 is something I clearly remember going on sale for the same price.

[quote name='chickenbutt']Is this a one day only sale or is there going to be more stuff tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

i think the stuff that is 1 day only will keep changing for 2 weeks until jan 2... packs and other deals should last the duration.

some of us will file for bankruptcy due to picking up several of the complete packs and games from the daily deals every day for 2 weeks...

[quote name='N64FanBoy']In for BFBC2 and SMB. Undecided on FEAR. I really liked the 1st one, but I don't know if the 2nd is any good or not.[/QUOTE]

It isn't nearly as good as the first one, but it was fun when I played it on the 360. I am hoping I end up getting a better experience out of the PC version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back