Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on Cities XL, I read it has an online fee...WTH?
I am still considering it, it looks way better visually than SimCity 4 but has lower reviews. Then again, SimCity was review back on 2003-2004...

[quote name='Wargamer']Back on Cities XL, I read it has an online fee...WTH?
I am still considering it, it looks way better visually than SimCity 4 but has lower reviews. Then again, SimCity was review back on 2003-2004...[/QUOTE]

I'd hold out. I think they are releasing a new Cities XL 2011 or something like that.

[quote name='shrike4242']Thanks to both of you for that. I'm trying to gauge my purchases appropriately and didn't want to have to make lots of purchases on day 1 if the individual games that are discounted (PB Winterbottom) are going to be that price through the entire sale period. I'll just pick up what I wanted to today and continue on.

EDIT:
Just picked up:
The Oddbox
FEAR complete pack
Deus Ex complete pack[/QUOTE]

I posted a warning previously. The Oddbox is terribly broken and based off rushed or unfinished ports. There is a giant ragestorm in the Steam Forums over the quality of the latter two titles, the Xbox games.

The PS3 version isn't finished and that's what they were basing the PC versions on. There are not even the HD models in the game as they aren't done for the PS3 version. There is another ragestorm on GAF about it.

I hope you realize that it may be some time before those games are patched/fixed. Even super powerful rigs cannot get more than 20FPS in Stranger's Wrath.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']A PS3 controller will work as well if you don't want to shell out $20 or so for a USB PC pad: http://www.motioninjoy.com/download (even emulates the 360 pad if need be)[/QUOTE]

I second that. You can play wired or wireless and you can map it like its the mouse and keyboard if a game doesn't like gamepads. Works great.

Latest version is signed so if you see tutorials saying that you have to disable the signature check in windows its outdated.

If all digital doesn't work you can try mapping the buttons yourself or one of the analog options.

Mouse and keyboard are great for some things but nothing beats a gamepad for the old school games

[quote name='momouchi']Yes unless the publisher pulls the game from the sale or there is a price mistake. For example the Valve pack that went up $25 dollars, most likely due to a pricing mistake.[/QUOTE]
Yeah pretty much this ^

The trick here is to only buy daily deal items and wait until the very last day of the sale for anything else. You never know, that awesome $10 game on sale could be $2.50 the very next day.

[quote name='aus_nacht']I second that. You can play wired or wireless and you can map it like its the mouse and keyboard if a game doesn't like gamepads. Works great.

Latest version is signed so if you see tutorials saying that you have to disable the signature check in windows its outdated.

If all digital doesn't work you can try mapping the buttons yourself or one of the analog options.

Mouse and keyboard are great for some things but nothing beats a gamepad for the old school games[/QUOTE]

I use a Airflo Ex aside form being a kinda silly idea, it is a really solid controller and cheap too most places online.

[quote name='TheKbob']I posted a warning previously. The Oddbox is terribly broken and based off rushed or unfinished ports. There is a giant ragestorm in the Steam Forums over the quality of the latter two titles, the Xbox games.

The PS3 version isn't finished and that's what they were basing the PC versions on. There are not even the HD models in the game as they aren't done for the PS3 version. There is another ragestorm on GAF about it.

I hope you realize that it may be some time before those games are patched/fixed. Even super powerful rigs cannot get more than 20FPS in Stranger's Wrath.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I bought it...it's horribly broken

Stranger's Wrath is completely unplayable for the time being.

They really shouldn't have sold the games. They're not fit to be purchased in their current state.

BUT...I'm sure that's why they sold them as half off the first day of the sale.

On the fence about the FEAR pack. And eying that Bethesda bundle too. Been looking to get pc versions of both Fallouts and Oblivion for a while.

If someone is looking for a gamepad and likes the 360 controller (which I definitely think is the best one for most newer PC games), GoHastings has the wired Xbox 360 controller for $20. It is great that is doubles for both uses on the PC and 360. I still can't decide if I should rebuy Super Meat Boy and Battlefield Bad Company 2 again. New deals in less than 30 minutes!

Went with FEAR 1 and Fallout 3 GOTY. Never played a FEAR game so I figure 2.50 for the game and extra content is a good deal. Been wanting the GOTY of Fallout forever, so while I can see it getting a 50% off weekend deal, it won't be a huge cost difference. Plus, now I don't have to buy any other expensive/long games and can focus on the

[quote name='Bretts31344']If someone is looking for a gamepad and likes the 360 controller (which I definitely think is the best one for most newer PC games), GoHastings has the wired Xbox 360 controller for $20. It is great that is doubles for both uses on the PC and 360. I still can't decide if I should rebuy Super Meat Boy and Battlefield Bad Company 2 again. New deals in less than 30 minutes![/QUOTE]

You also find one on amazon for $17 ($21 when you factor in shipping).

[quote name='MikeE021286']Yeah, I bought it...it's horribly broken

They really shouldn't have sold the games. They're not fit to be purchased in their current state.

BUT...I'm sure that's why they sold them as half off the first day of the sale.[/QUOTE]

This makes me very sad. But I'm sure by the time I get enough HD Space to play them and enough time at a friends house to download them, they'll be fixed. right?!

(I own the originals on Xbox anyhow).

[quote name='jester55']so am I correct in thinking there will be a left over day for daily deals on the last day? still on fence for some...[/QUOTE]

Only a few select daily deals have been on sale again on the last day. No one can say for sure if that will happen again this year, but it is the usual tradition of the steam sales.

[quote name='jester55']so am I correct in thinking there will be a left over day for daily deals on the last day? still on fence for some...[/QUOTE]

It happened both during the last Xmas sale and the huge summer sale, however, remember that they have the same number of daily deals (12) and 12 days of sales, so that means it'll be about one daily per day will come back. Not the best odds, especially if it's not the more popular title you're on the fence on.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']It happened both during the last Xmas sale and the huge summer sale, however, remember that they have the same number of daily deals (12) and 12 days of sales, so that means it'll be about one daily per day will come back. Not the best odds, especially if it's not the more popular title you're on the fence on.[/QUOTE]
I was thinking of waiting on FO3 GOTY until then.....

Ended up picking up FEAR 1 only since I got FEAR 2 w/Reborn on GFWL for $5. I was going to wait but I wasn't sure if the price on FEAR 1 would jump to $5 or whatever after the FEAR pack daily deal ended. Really looking forward to the new daily deals in about 5 minutes.

I'd like to see a daily deal for Torchlight and Sword of the Stars Complete. They're both down to $10, but I'd like to see Torchlight a little cheaper to give as a gift. I'll probably pick up Sword of the Stars Complete at $10 if it doesn't get any cheaper, though.

[quote name='jester55']I was thinking of waiting on FO3 GOTY until then.....[/QUOTE]
Im waiting - $10 savings isnt much on such a great game and I have no problem paying Steam full price once I really have time to dive into it. Picked up Deluxe PoP and FEAR 1 - not a bad $10 I think?!

MUST PACE MYSELF!!

I'm praying for a beastly Mass Effect 1 + 2 deal or Borderlands deal, along with a further discount on one of the big publisher packs (SE/Eidos, 2K, THQ)

[quote name='psunami']Torchlight has been down to $5 before, and should probably hit it, in this sale, again.[/QUOTE]

yeah, torchlight is in just about every sale at some point. same with some season of sam and max

"If you want something set it free. If it comes back it was meant to be"

Not gonna pick up FEAR. SO want it now but backlog is too big. If it's on sale again at the end of the deal, I'll buy and know it was destiny lol
Need to impose self-restraint.

[quote name='RedGamer']I'm praying for a beastly Mass Effect 1 + 2 deal or Borderlands deal, along with a further discount on one of the big publisher packs (SE/Eidos, 2K, THQ)[/QUOTE]

Mine is a killer deal on DA Ultimate. 50% off or more would do the trick.

2 minutes...praying.

Well I've caved in and purchased Super Meatboy for myself as a Steam gift. If I can fnd a Gamepad soon, I'll redeem it, if not, I'll give it away or sell it.

[quote name='MikeE021286']Yeah, I bought it...it's horribly broken

BUT...I'm sure that's why they sold them as half off the first day of the sale.[/QUOTE]
That's truly sad; I've been waiting for the Oddboxx for quite some time. (I wasn't even sure if it'd make it to release, due to the lack of news and announcement of one of the games getting a PS3-exclusive HD makeover.)

At this point, though, it seems the release is simply a transition into another waiting period; I do hope they fix the errors, because I do want to purchase the Oddboxx at some point. (I'd rather not buy another pack that suffers from bad port jobs.)

Just bought a copy of Portal for my friend. He's getting a new gaming computer this week. His first ever. Hopefully I'll be able to send him more Valve games thanks to this sale.

Only thing is...I hope the Orange Box doesn't go really cheap after I buy TF2 and HL2 for him.

[quote name='Hiei69']I want some Bioware deals! Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition[/QUOTE]

make it happen :applause:

$30 or less :cool:

Awesome. Been waiting for the Witcher to drop below $10 for so long. Instant buy. Also, picked up Guardian of Light for $3.60. What a deal!

Lara Croft at $5 is very tempting...

Edit: Nevermind, saw their gimmick for a cheaper version if you've bought a Tomb Raider game before... Anyways, just heard it's gonna be 50% off on XBL tomorrow, and that's the version I'd rather play anyways. If I could get the $3.60 price I'd order on Steam, but if they want to exclude people (I have pretty much every Tomb Raider game, just not on Steam) then I'll order elsewhere.

[quote name='Hiei69']Burnout Paradise $5[/QUOTE]

Ultimate Box?

[quote name='Wargamer']The Witcher 5 bucks[/QUOTE]

That's mine...

Witcher for $5 is all thats catching my eye and thats only due to word of mouth. Puzzle Quest, maybe. Everything else is too pricey, already own, or too niche for me.

And yes its Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box, with all them DLC goodies.

Dude, this is amazing - First, Winterbottom for 50 cents, then Super Meat Boy for $3.75, and now Lara Croft for $3.60? (I had Anniversary and Underworld.)

Absolutely astounding.

I would recommend The Witcher, except the game stopped working for me for some reason. Steam can't helped because its Atari and others have gotten problems and it hasn't been solved yet.

[quote name='Reimu']Today's deals are pretty disappointing to me[/QUOTE]

I agree, but to some this could be the "best day evar!!1".
Lets hope tomorrow is fruitful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back