Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pROvIs']I've looked around for it and can't find it either. You aren't alone[/QUOTE]

And I can never find it either which is again why all 3 steam topics need to just be 1 big topic.

[quote name='Terlan']Tried the defense grid demo and it just wasn't fun for me. Still kicking around the idea of burnout though if anyone has an opinion on it.[/QUOTE]

If you are a tower defense fan it is a must buy. Normally I would say if you are kind of meh on the tower defense genre then you could skip it, but at $2 the only reason not to buy it IMO would be due to a large back log.

[quote name='pROvIs']I've looked around for it and can't find it either. You aren't alone[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MSI Magus']And I can never find it either which is again why all 3 steam topics need to just be 1 big topic.[/QUOTE]

Where would be the appropiate place to post a topic about it?

[quote name='bigant262']Where would be the appropiate place to post a topic about it?[/QUOTE]

For this there really isn't one because generally those are for group buys. This is'nt a group buy its basically asking someone with a TR game to buy the game and gift it to us in exchange for paypal funds out of the goodness of their heart as they get nothing out of it.

[quote name='rsrlawman']Picked up The Witcher, Puzzle Quest, and Defense Grid today for $8.50 total. Haven't played any of them before. I love you Steam.[/QUOTE]

just because you picked them up on the Steam sale don't assume this will change lol

Bit on Witcher. They should've allowed the option of downloading only specific files since approximately 5 gb are language packs.

By the way, any word on who won the treasure hunt?

[quote name='Killrig']Yes! I have Win7 64bit and it runs incredibly well. The Witcher is an outstanding RPG and it's an absolute steal at 5 bucks. I highly recommend it![/QUOTE]

I second that; I run Win7 64-bit and I haven't had any issues at all. Fun game!

Anyone find this yet? I'm looking to do a Iron Grip: Warlord pack.

not sure if this is the place to discuss the indie packs, and a lot of them don't have an actual forum on steam...
anyone tried:
guns of icarus
burn zombie burn, or the void
delve deeper?

I have lots of odds and ends within the packs, so may end up buying some games again depending on how good some of the other games are within the packs.

[quote name='MikeE021286']just because you picked them up on the Steam sale don't assume this will change lol[/QUOTE]

Winner! Also, nothing for me today, have anything I'd be interested in, either on Steam, 360 or PS3.

I got the void on D2D a while ago, and the best thing I can say is that it's interesting experiment. I would describe it as an artsy first-person painter with a heavy emphasis on resource management. While I didn't think it was particularly good (I never finished it), I don't regret getting it.

Here's a reddit thread about it

For defense grid, how much more do the dlcs add? I'm looking at the 2 dollar tag but it's 3 dollars for the rest of the dlcs. I recall seeing this game on sale previously, was it ever bundled with the dlcs?

[quote name='kaply']For defense grid, how much more do the dlcs add? I'm looking at the 2 dollar tag but it's 3 dollars for the rest of the dlcs. I recall seeing this game on sale previously, was it ever bundled with the dlcs?[/QUOTE]

I haven't played much of the DLC but I would hold off as D2D sells them all for the same price and they make great $1 filler to qualify for sales. All are activatable on steam.

[quote name='Rayeh']Ahhh, I missed the FEAR pack. Anyone know if that sort of thing is likely to repeat?

Oh well, still plenty of deals to go.[/QUOTE]

possibly on last day.

Also in regards to puzzle quest, the second one actually has an achievement for "Cheating AI:
Be defeated by an opponent on their first turn during single player quest mode" which 1.4% of the players have achieved at least once, with only ~90% of the people with the game having actually played the single player portion. ("Clear the town achievement" is basically having played a very little bit of the single player)

[quote name='kaply']For defense grid, how much more do the dlcs add? I'm looking at the 2 dollar tag but it's 3 dollars for the rest of the dlcs. I recall seeing this game on sale previously, was it ever bundled with the dlcs?[/QUOTE]

There are 4 map packs with each pack containing 2 additional maps. Each map has a story mode and 4 other modes to play. IIRC the maps from the packs are a bit larger and harder than those in the standard game.

I think the maps were 50% off once but I believe it was an error and fixed pretty quickly.

I just use my PS3 controller with the ds3 mod driver. Works great and the games thinks its a 360 controller for settings

Fortunately (I guess), not a lot to consider for me today, although I'm pondering over The Witcher. What is it comparable to? Are there any particular aspects that might discourage a purchase?
(As you can tell, I might or might not be looking for excuses to not get it :p)

Just a little question for anyone who might have bought the Bioshock 2 four-pack today. I found that the game licenses you get are for the pre-order, in which 2K was including Bioshock 1 for free.

If you are installing one of these keys into an account which doesn't have Bioshock 1 or Bioshock 2, are you getting access to just the latter game, or both?

[youtube]D-OzdlA90xk[/youtube][youtube]_jHscKWWM9M[/youtube]

Holiday Sale Daily Deals
12/21

[youtube]S0GOuIggyoo[/youtube][youtube]fwW7Th09WBg[/youtube]

[quote name='darjeeling']Just a little question for anyone who might have bought the Bioshock 2 four-pack today. I found that the game licenses you get are for the pre-order, in which 2K was including Bioshock 1 for free.

If you are installing one of these keys into an account which doesn't have Bioshock 1 or Bioshock 2, are you getting access to just the latter game, or both?[/QUOTE]

If you do indeed get both I may be intersted in this.

[quote name='Bretts31344']If someone is looking for a gamepad and likes the 360 controller (which I definitely think is the best one for most newer PC games), GoHastings has the wired Xbox 360 controller for $20. It is great that is doubles for both uses on the PC and 360. I still can't decide if I should rebuy Super Meat Boy and Battlefield Bad Company 2 again. New deals in less than 30 minutes![/QUOTE]

Sweet! That was only about $22.50 including shipping...$12 less than what I was looking at on Amazon. Been thinking about getting a wired controller for a while so glad I finally picked one up at a good price.

[quote name='Dr. Bitchslap']You also find one on amazon for $17 ($21 when you factor in shipping).[/QUOTE]

I checked Amazon and the only thing I saw at $17 was for a used version while GoHastings is selling a new controller.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Anyone have a opinion on iron grip warlord. When I read the description I think valkeryria chronicles...lol[/QUOTE]

haah totally not a good comparison.

[quote name='hotwls13']Anyone want to guess how low Borderlands GOTY will go?? I'm really wanting that game. ;)[/QUOTE]

It was $10.19 for the base game during the summer sale. I don't remember how much each DLC was at the time, but I think they were around $3.50 each or so.

I doubt Claptrap's Robot Revolution would go that low so soon, but I'd gladly pick it up for a fiver. :D

[quote name='darjeeling']It was $10.19 for the base game during the summer sale. I don't remember how much each DLC was at the time, but I think they were around $3.50 each or so.

I doubt Claptrap's Robot Revolution would go that low so soon, but I'd gladly pick it up for a fiver. :D[/QUOTE]

If Super Meat Boy can go for $3 + change, I'd say anything is possible on Steam at this point. Best to just wait and see I suppose.

[quote name='pROvIs']If you do indeed get both I may be intersted in this.[/QUOTE]Same here, especially if they're Bioshock 1 + 2 in the same purchase.

[quote name='darjeeling']Just a little question for anyone who might have bought the Bioshock 2 four-pack today. I found that the game licenses you get are for the pre-order, in which 2K was including Bioshock 1 for free.

If you are installing one of these keys into an account which doesn't have Bioshock 1 or Bioshock 2, are you getting access to just the latter game, or both?[/QUOTE]

that would be all kinds of awesome.

[quote name='darjeeling']It was $10.19 for the base game during the summer sale. I don't remember how much each DLC was at the time, but I think they were around $3.50 each or so.

I doubt Claptrap's Robot Revolution would go that low so soon, but I'd gladly pick it up for a fiver. :D[/QUOTE]

Just checked the Thanksgiving sale and the base game went for $9.99 or 6 pack for $39.99. It's $13.xx right now, but I'm hoping for either a $10 GOTY or AT LEAST a lower priced base.

Those of you that have the DLC does it add a lot to the game?? I'm figuring worst case, I just get the Base game at the end of the sale cause after watching some gameplay I'm really wanting to play it.

[quote name='hotwls13']Just checked the Thanksgiving sale and the base game went for $9.99 or 6 pack for $39.99. It's $13.xx right now, but I'm hoping for either a $10 GOTY or AT LEAST a lower priced base.

Those of you that have the DLC does it add a lot to the game?? I'm figuring worst case, I just get the Base game at the end of the sale cause after watching some gameplay I'm really wanting to play it.[/QUOTE]

It adds more to the game in the sense that it raises the level cap and adds some new enemies and areas, but it's not a dramatic change the way the DLC for say, Fallout 3 was. If anything, most of the DLC for Borderlands is sort of like high level stuff, since the game is basically a 4 person MMO FPS in a lot of ways. So you could buy a vanilla copy and one or two of the early DLC packs and not feel like you're immediately going to be missing out.

[quote name='hotwls13']Just checked the Thanksgiving sale and the base game went for $9.99 or 6 pack for $39.99. It's $13.xx right now, but I'm hoping for either a $10 GOTY or AT LEAST a lower priced base.

Those of you that have the DLC does it add a lot to the game?? I'm figuring worst case, I just get the Base game at the end of the sale cause after watching some gameplay I'm really wanting to play it.[/QUOTE]

Each DLC is like a whole separate story. Moxxy is an arena style game though so no real story, but adds two? stat points and a bank. Dr. Nedd adds an undead focused storyline (guessing 50% as big as the original) and I think a storage expansion, Knoxx adds a whole side story that's about 75%(guessing) the length of the base game and access to the highest level weapons. However Knoxx might only be long because you have to travel everywhere slowly instead of having an instant teleport.

Also about level cap I think the newest patch did away with it so that all versions will have the same level cap.

As well, since this game is a lot about collecting fun and different weapons, storage space becomes a big issue, even with the bank expansion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone tell me the difference between Serious Sam HD: Gold Edition and Serious Sam HD: Double Pack besides that the double pack is $2.50 cheaper. Is it just that the gold edition includes the old non-hd versions of the game?

My buys from yesterday's deals:

The Deus Ex Collection
2.99 USD
Portal
2.25 USD
CivCity: Rome
0.99 USD
Winterbottom
0.49 USD
Bioshock (NA)
4.99 USD
Trine
4.99 USD
Super Meat Boy
3.75 USD

All that for $20.45 - woot :D.

Already have Fear, so getting Fear 2 a lone didn't feel like as good of a deal.
Bioshock might go on sale further, but only for a few extra bucks - no biggie. Been looking forward to playing it for years anyways.

Already own most of the Orange Box, except Team Fortress 2.

For today's sales: The new Tomb Raider looks awesome, but $10 still seems too high.
I'm hearing the Witcher is probably the best deal of them all for $5. Bioshock 2 is still too high at $10..gonna wait on that one, and wait till I finish Bioshock 1 first (already playing). $6-7 might have worked though. I'm just being cheap like that, because those extra bucks add up to extra games on my budget. plus I'm doing a lot of research on each game to make sure me, friends and family can get some good play out of em.

Is PuzzleQuest any good?

Best deal this sale has offered so far was the Valve Games pack for about $20 for an hour (or $29?). Then they upped it back to $49.99.

2nd was the Dues Ex collection for $2.99 in my opinion

[quote name='Ribkage']Can someone tell me the difference between Serious Sam HD: Gold Edition and Serious Sam HD: Double Pack besides that the double pack is $2.50 cheaper. Is it just that the gold edition includes the old non-hd versions of the game?[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, the Gold edition includes the original un-HD versions of the two games.

[quote name='Eldredpe']If I remember correctly, the Gold edition includes the original un-HD versions of the two games.[/QUOTE]
QFT. $2.50 extra gets you the original versions of First and Second encounter. Apparently this is the only way to get them through Steam, as these items don't have their own listings. Gifted it to a friend myself who doesn't yet have Pixel Shader 3. This way he can enjoy the originals, and enjoy em in HD once he gets a better graphics card. :D

Picking up The Witcher today, even though the download will probably put me over my measly 50GB monthly cap and I probably won't find time to put a dent in it anytime soon...curse you Steam.

It really depends on what you want to do. The Zombie Island add on is Godly and I enjoyed more then even the base game. General Knoxx and Moxxie though are HEAVILY focused towards multiplayer meaning if you aint messing with other people dont mess with them. Have not played Robo Revoltution yet though but I heard its as ammusing and fun as Zombie Island but still more multi player focused.

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']QFT. $2.50 extra gets you the original versions of First and Second encounter. Apparently this is the only way to get them through Steam, as these items don't have their own listings. Gifted it to a friend myself who doesn't yet have Pixel Shader 3. This way he can enjoy the originals, and enjoy em in HD once he gets a better graphics card. :D[/QUOTE]
apparently there are a lot of mods that only work with the originals

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back