Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
So far I haven't jumped on anything, but I'm going to pick up Civ 4 complete when I quit being lazy. Maybe tonight. I'm guessing that Civ 5 is going to be a daily deal for $33.49 (the briefly posted sale price). My only concern is that they have a daily deal that is Civ 4 + 5 for like $35ish, but that's probably insane. I doubt that Civ 4 complete will even be a daily deal, as at $6.24 there's not much more downward to go (already -75%).

I'm in no rush to pick up the indie packs since they're around till the end. We'll see how the daily deals impact my wallet first :)

Hmm, so can you actually gift copies of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light for the $3.60 price? And is there even a limit on how many you can gift? If a group of people are planning on getting the game, then would it be cheaper for someone to buy a copy of Tomb Raider Anniversary for $5 and then gift out copies of Guardian of Light to the rest?

[quote name='Edge']Hmm, so can you actually gift copies of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light for the $3.60 price? And is there even a limit on how many you can gift? If a group of people are planning on getting the game, then would it be cheaper for someone to buy a copy of Tomb Raider Anniversary for $5 and then gift out copies of Guardian of Light to the rest?[/QUOTE]

I've tried for hours to get someone to gift me a COPY FOR $3.60 -- TO NO AVAIL... :(

Bought the Witcher EE. What I reeaaallly want to see is a 4pack for Worms to appear. Yeah it's the same ol game but if it works on Win 7 and has online working properly, I'm all for it.

[quote name='Edge']Hmm, so can you actually gift copies of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light for the $3.60 price? And is there even a limit on how many you can gift? If a group of people are planning on getting the game, then would it be cheaper for someone to buy a copy of Tomb Raider Anniversary for $5 and then gift out copies of Guardian of Light to the rest?[/QUOTE]
Already happening Check the group buy thread

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7984306#post7984306

Today I bought:

The Witcher
Puzzle Quest
Defense Grid

Buying games I had never had interest in before. Before the sale the only game I was really looking out for was Dragon Age Ultimate.

picked up the Witcher!!!

which I heard is like the 2nd greatest game ever made, right after Planscape Torment, which is also on sale at GOG and I wanna buy it too!!!

It's a longshot but would anyone gift me a copy of F1 2010 for an alpha Minecraft account? Hope you don't mind the username.

[quote name='mcdaking84']any chance that we see RCT3 on sale? even though it probably doesnt work on windows 7[/QUOTE]

Do you mean RollerCoaster Tycoon 3? Because it works fine on Windows 7. It has as good of a chance as anything else going on sale.

[quote name='pROvIs']It already was part of one during the Thanksgiving sale.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. That "Indie Pulse Pack" was fantastic. I'm a big fan of all the music games, but most particular "Beat Hazard" at the moment. Super Addictive once you get into it. Especially with the Ranks and Achievements.

Did my research and went with TR:GoL and The Witcher.
Both are a no brainer, particularly "The Witcher"

If your not sure what to get and only want to spend $5...."The Witcher" hands down.
It's been out since late 2007, and the developers have fixed it up nicely.The steam version comes with the "Director's Cut DLC," so your essentially getting a package.

;)

Grabbed The Witcher and Resident Evil 5. The thought of getting more cheese from RE was too appealing and good word of mouth on The Witcher made me bite. Thought about snagging a couple of the TR games, but I don't want to spend too much on this sale considering how many unplayed games I have from last go around.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']All right, CAG's, I'm looking for an insanely fun and rewarding racing game like Blur.

Having that been said, how is Burnout Paradise?[/QUOTE]
It'd be right up your alley, and for only $5!

[quote name='EliotAndrews']All right, CAG's, I'm looking for an insanely fun and rewarding racing game like Blur.

Having that been said, how is Burnout Paradise?[/QUOTE]
Burnout Paradise is extremely fun and this is from someone that doesn't usually like racing games. Tons of stuff to do like quick races, crashing cars and insane jumps. It is not like Blur with weapons and powerups but I bought it last Christmas sale and it was more than worth it.

Pick up The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom for $0.49 because I always wanted to play it and at that price I could not pass and if it is a daily deal I will not be mad because I don't know how that could make it cheap than making it free.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Thanks for the recommendations; I really appreciate the responses.

Admittedly, I'm still a bit torn, though. One reason is that the Product Page warns of in-game advertising. Should this deter me at all?[/QUOTE]

I'd also like to know as I'm still on the fence with Burnout.

Thinking about The Witcher, Puzzle Quest and Bioshock 2 (wanna get in on a pack). Never played Puzzle Quest but it seems to be highly regarded. What is the CAG verdict on puzzle quest?

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Thinking about The Witcher, Puzzle Quest and Bioshock 2 (wanna get in on a pack). Never played Puzzle Quest but it seems to be highly regarded. What is the CAG verdict on puzzle quest?[/QUOTE]

Fantastic Puzzle game. if you like match 3 puzzlers and RPG gameplay, then be sure not to pass it up. Besides, 1.50 is a rather small investment even if you wind up not liking it.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Thanks for the recommendations; I really appreciate the responses.

Admittedly, I'm still a bit torn, though. One reason is that the Product Page warns of in-game advertising. Should this deter me at all?[/QUOTE]

I personally think in game ads, in a game like this, make it better and more immersive.

Yea, wither it's Burger King or Cluckin' Bell doesn't really matter to me.

I mention BK, because as I recall when I had this on the 360 most of the adds were for them.

[quote name='Terlan']I'd also like to know as I'm still on the fence with Burnout.[/QUOTE]

its on billboards and not that noticeable. i say go for it

[quote name='pROvIs']I personally think in game ads, in a game like this, make it better and more immersive.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with this! The ads aren't in your face or anything, they are on billboards, like in real life so it makes the experience more real, which I love.

And also to answer the question before comparing this game to Blur, I've played both, and I must say I like BurnOut: Paradise much better. Blur got old pretty quickly, but BurnOut is so much better. There is so much variety in the game it is a great deal to pick it up right now.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Fantastic Puzzle game. if you like match 3 puzzlers and RPG gameplay, then be sure not to pass it up. Besides, 1.50 is a rather small investment even if you wind up not liking it.[/QUOTE]

I probably will go for it. I'm starting to really get into casual games on XBLA,PSN and PC. I would have got LC:GOL also as it's a great deal but I got that free on PSN when it came out.

[quote name='whookid36']I know it's probably been asked before but I don't have the time to read through all the pages.
How come the iD Super Pack isn't on sale?[/QUOTE]

Might be related to the fact they got acquired by zenimax/bethesda earlier this year.

Is Disciples III worth getting? I played the demo and dug it. The reviews I've read seem to suggest that it is a buggy unbalanced mess.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Fantastic Puzzle game. if you like match 3 puzzlers and RPG gameplay, then be sure not to pass it up. Besides, 1.50 is a rather small investment even if you wind up not liking it.[/QUOTE]

Went ahead and bit on Puzzle Quest, as well as PB Winterbottom.

[quote name='Mooby']1. Ran relatively fine on my two+ year old machine that uses an Nvidia 9500 GT card with 512 video ram. The loading times were noticeable but not overly annoying -- maybe in the area of fifteen to twenty seconds.

2. The Witcher is actually somewhat linear in that while there is a world to explore you are limited to certain areas in the acts as you progress and within those areas there are fairly rigid paths of exploration you have to follow (blocked off by artificial walls of growth/wilderness). The game is mostly about combat. There are a few well done RPG vignettes (a murder investigation scene) but overall it is straight up killing and questing.

3. The combat is pretty awful. As mentioned it is hack and slash where you maintain combos by clicking when the appropriate icon pops up basically allowing you to combo-chain most enemies to death in short order. You have four different spells/signs but only one is significantly useful, the rest are borderline overkill/useless.

People rave about it being a great RPG but, in my opinion, it barely passes as an RPG and presents very little in the way of challenge or significant choices and consequences. It has arguably less character customization than Borderlands. Certainly less in the way of looting/gear customization as there are only about three or four different (types) of swords (and you can only really use swords) and three types of armor (the middle tier of which is optional and the latter you don't get until the last chapter). Still, treated as a hack and slash adventure, it's not bad for $5. Overall good story and atmosphere.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm thanks for this info and the evaluation of its "RPG-ness". If character customization is less than Borderlands (and I barely consider that an RPG), then this doesn't sound like a game for me even at $5 (I have a big backlog right now anyway).

[quote name='JEKKI']picked up the Witcher!!!

which I heard is like the 2nd greatest game ever made, right after Planscape Torment, which is also on sale at GOG and I wanna buy it too!!![/QUOTE]

I spent $20 on GOG.

Way too many games. :drool:

Played Lara Croft with a friend, was fun.

Man, great price for Witcher... reminds me I need to go back and finish it before Witcher 2 comes out. (also I updated my video card and can actually probably run it decently now.)

[quote name='Etae']Is Disciples III worth getting? I played the demo and dug it. The reviews I've read seem to suggest that it is a buggy unbalanced mess.[/QUOTE]

I just picked it up as well. I enjoy the demo and I like those types of games quite a bit. Hard to go wrong with it at that price if you enjoyed the demo I'd say.

Oh Steam my love/hate relationship with you gets more and more involved every time there is a Steam Sale. As if my backlog of games isn't big enough I log on today to see the THQ pack for only $50. Now thanks to you I have another 20 odd games to play through. You better be glad it's winter break!

[quote name='JEKKI']picked up the Witcher!!!

which I heard is like the 2nd greatest game ever made, right after Planscape Torment, which is also on sale at GOG and I wanna buy it too!!![/QUOTE]

I spent $20 on GOG.

Way too many games. :drool:

Played Lara Croft with a friend, was fun.

Hmmm ... kinda sucks that Big Surf Island will never come to Burnout Paradise PC ... of course I found that out after buying it. Does anyone know how to get the Legendary Cars pack, it says they aren't available in the in-game store?

Alright, for those that are downloading games what server are you connected to, and are you getting constant speeds? If I connect to ANY US server, I'll get up to my max speed that I usually get with steam, and then I'll instantly hit 0kbs, and then repeat, but if I connect to the Netherlands, I get a constant 500KB/S.

[quote name='waatulakula']Oh Steam my love/hate relationship with you gets more and more involved every time there is a Steam Sale. As if my backlog of games isn't big enough I log on today to see the THQ pack for only $50. Now thanks to you I have another 20 odd games to play through. You better be glad it's winter break![/QUOTE]
lmao, I know. that's about one game per day. Did you see when the Valve pack was only around $20 before they soon up'd it to $49.99? Already had over half the games, but damn, talk about a fantastic starter kit for a new comer to Steam. Hooked up with the full essentials for a measly Orange Box retail price.:applause:

[quote name='neverletthem']Alright, for those that are downloading games what server are you connected to, and are you getting constant speeds? If I connect to ANY US server, I'll get up to my max speed that I usually get with steam, and then I'll instantly hit 0kbs, and then repeat, but if I connect to the Netherlands, I get a constant 500KB/S.[/QUOTE]

Getting fairly decent 850KB/s-950KB/s from Norway. UK Manchester gave me 600KB/s over here. My computer is located in US - Dallas location, but that server has has been 100KB/s most of the day.
Steam's IT staff must be going crazy trying to compensate for all the traffic from these sexy prices.

STEAM SERVER=
asian_overload_20.jpeg
overworked-information-overload-color-picture.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='funsocaltiger']Hmmm thanks for this info and the evaluation of its "RPG-ness". If character customization is less than Borderlands (and I barely consider that an RPG), then this doesn't sound like a game for me even at $5 (I have a big backlog right now anyway).[/QUOTE]

I'll elaborate a bit more because I don't want to sound too extreme in my criticism. As you level you get to unlock various augmenting ability 'coins' -- first tier stuff is bronze, then silver, then gold. These unlocks, however, are fairly tame like +X more damage, +X bleed damage, attacks hit +X more targets, etc. Most of them are just percentage modifiers. Technically speaking you could specialize your character for melee versus spells (signs) but even on the hardest difficulty you get so many 'coin unlocks' per level you can pretty much get all of the major upgrades anyway so there's really no give and take. There are no extra talents or abilities or anything, the unlocks just improve your basic attacks and four spells. That's pretty much the extent to which your character improves.

[quote name='CountChoculitis']Probably already been answered but does Burnout Paradise support the 360 controller for windows? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yup, fully supported!

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I just bought Puzzle Quest, I just couldn't resist having it on Steam for 1.50 :lol:[/QUOTE]
the pictures didn't do it for me for some reason.

[quote name='Wolfmight']the pictures didn't do it for me for some reason.[/QUOTE]

I played it a bunch on my psp in small doses and enjoyed it on there.

Definitely, not much for graphics or anything like that but, if you like puzzle games like Bejeweled and/or turn based rpg/strategy games you would probably like Puzzle Quest.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I just bought Puzzle Quest, I just couldn't resist having it on Steam for 1.50 :lol:[/QUOTE]

I couldn't either. That makes four different versions I have bought of the game (PSP, DS, 360 & Steam). It is worth having at that cheap of a price in case I just have my laptop around for a bit and want to boot up some PQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back