Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KaOTiK']I just picked it up as well. I enjoy the demo and I like those types of games quite a bit. Hard to go wrong with it at that price if you enjoyed the demo I'd say.[/QUOTE]
Right on. I think I'll hold off on it. I got the Witcher instead so hopefully I won't be kicking myself later.

[quote name='gogoyippy']Gaah I can't make a decision between Burnout or Lara Croft GOL.
Is Burnout's multiplayer any good?[/QUOTE]

They are two very different games. Just ask if you want a coop twin stick shooter or an arcade racer. As far as content wise burnout is a ton of it for the price because its much older.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
Oh, boo hoo. You wanna talk about real PC gaming, let's talk about the real old-school when we had to write custom autoexec.bat files and boot disks and allocate each precious megabyte of RAM manually for nearly every single different game and most game settings were in external config files, anyways.
[/QUOTE]

ya know, i actually miss this. i remember having to edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys files depending on the game, space quest 4 was a real pain, it needed something like 618k of the base memory, not easy to do at the time.

are these sales still going, i missed out on the witcher before, and will not be able to get to my steam account until tonight, i also want puzzle quest.

[quote name='ctrek3']ya know, i actually miss this. i remember having to edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys files depending on the game, space quest 4 was a real pain, it needed something like 618k of the base memory, not easy to do at the time.

are these sales still going, i missed out on the witcher before, and will not be able to get to my steam account until tonight, i also want puzzle quest.[/QUOTE]

Sales are going for 2 more hours. You can purchase through www.steampowered.com as well if you aren't at a PC with steam.

[quote name='ctrek3']are these sales still going, i missed out on the witcher before, and will not be able to get to my steam account until tonight, i also want puzzle quest.[/QUOTE]

These are daily deals that end at 11:00am today.

[quote name='Etae']These are daily deals that end at 11:00am today.[/QUOTE]
Rather they end at:

10 AM PST
11 AM MST
12 PM CST
1 PM EST

[quote name='pROvIs']Rather they end at:

10 AM PST
11 AM MST
12 PM CST
1 PM EST[/QUOTE]

crap so i need to find a way to order them from work, cause they block that site.

[quote name='gogoyippy']Gaah I can't make a decision between Burnout or Lara Croft GOL.
Is Burnout's multiplayer any good?[/QUOTE]

I played a ton of Burnout on the 360 and the multiplayer is a blast! You don't just do normal races with other people. There are a ton of these challenges that you do with your friends. It will say something like "All players have to do a barrel roll off this one jump" or stuff like "Each player must jump from opposite ends of a collapsed bridge and crash in midair". The challenges are also counted separately for different number of players. In other words there are 2-player challenges, 3-player, etc up to 8 player.

[quote name='ctrek3']crap so i need to find a way to order them from work, cause they block that site.[/QUOTE]

You can always ask for someone gift them to you and let them know you'll pay them.

[quote name='crunchewy']What the hell, decided to buy Civ IV Complete for $6.xx. Never played a Civilization game, and this is a cheap way to check it out.[/QUOTE]
Say goodbye to a weekend and possibly start looking for a new job.

Aside from getting Indigo Prophecy on the last sale, I decided to quickly get Burnout: Paradise, Puzzle Quest, and The Polynominal. I can now fully understand why these Steam sales are so addicting... I feel sorry for the people with funds readily available, as I'd go crazy if I had enough cash on me...

1bdf919ce314b5d7a8b39b2283f944b51fe529b3_full.jpg

If you bought Iron Grip: Warlord (on sale for $2.50 until Wednesday's update), please join the CAG Iron Grip Steam group!

[quote name='Ardrid']Have a great debate to settle: do I grab Guardian of Light on Steam or PSN? Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Typically for multiplayer-centric games I try and stay far away from PSN.

[quote name='Ardrid']Have a great debate to settle: do I grab Guardian of Light on Steam or PSN? Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

If pressed, I would say maybe Steam? I have it for PSN too but this week whenever I've gone searching for an online game, none exist. So I'm thinking that if you want to play multiplayer, which is supposedly the best for this game, Steam will have a greater likelihood of finding other players (at least initially) than a console, since most console gamers are pretty flippant about what they play.

Thinking about ordering a couple of India packs for my grandkids, I don't remember if they go on sale for even cheaper on a certain day or are they likely to be $4.99 all the way through the sale ?

[quote name='semifast']Thinking about ordering a couple of India packs for my grandkids, I don't remember if they go on sale for even cheaper on a certain day or are they likely to be $4.99 all the way through the sale ?[/QUOTE]

Extremely unlikely that they'll be cheaper.

[quote name='pROvIs']Typically for multiplayer-centric games I try and stay far away from PSN.[/QUOTE]v

Why? PSN has some good multiplayer games. Sure it might be a little easier finding people with smaller games on xbox but Warhawk, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, uncharted 2, all have a great community. The PSN only games however have fewer people playing the games than XBLA games.

[quote name='jazyje']The Polynominal -- has it ever been cheaper than $2.50 or part of a cheap indie pack?[/QUOTE]

It was part of an Indie pack during the BF sale for $5 for the whole pack.

[quote name='eagles5769']v

Why? PSN has some good multiplayer games. Sure it might be a little easier finding people with smaller games on xbox but Warhawk, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, uncharted 2, all have a great community. The PSN only games however have fewer people playing the games than XBLA games.[/QUOTE]

The last thing I wan't is a flame war of psn vs live on a steam thread so I will make a few comments and then make my peace. This is all just my opinion and preference and I understand others might have different feelings.

I use my PS3 largely for Sony Games like you mentioned and not much else. I just find the interface and Xbox Live so much more integral to the games, more consistent, and more reliable. PSN integration often feels like an afterthought and very clunky. Sony does a lot of things right I just still prefer the 360 for the "social" gaming aspect. Even single player games chatting in a party while playing on 360 is just expected on PS3 its very game dependent. It also seems ironic to me that I know more people with PS3s but I know more people who actually play games with 360s.

Playing a PS3 game to me feels like I went back 5-10 years into isolated gaming in a world that has since seen the domination of steam, live, achievements, leaderboards, facebook, twitter, etc. It's as if they designed the console completely in a box without seeing the trends around them. Don't get me started on the 360 as it has its problems as well but I have learned to deal with them.

[quote name='eagles5769']v

Why? PSN has some good multiplayer games. Sure it might be a little easier finding people with smaller games on xbox but Warhawk, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, uncharted 2, all have a great community. The PSN only games however have fewer people playing the games than XBLA games.[/QUOTE]

Maybe thats why he doesn't prefer PSN for multiplayer games, cause you need "multiple players" and PSN is not the best at that when compared to 360 or PC. Either way, I tend to buy any game that has mp for 360 as well, simply cause I find the 360's interface and cross game chat much more enjoyable personally, nothing against PSN as a network itself.

pROvIs is right, lets keep out a possible Live vs PSN discussion. Even if my comment doesn't help to that. Steam thread here.

[quote name='cheapo72']Ceville dropped to $2.49.
That's a great pickup for adventure fans.[/QUOTE]

It looks fun. I added it to my wishlist to watch until the sale is about to end.

I think I'm passing this round on the sale items. There's a couple I already have, and the rest I'm going to pass on. We'll see what happens at noon CT.

Awww, these aren't the id pack at all. D: Oh well. I'll probably be in for Recettear (or however you spell it). Heard a lot of general praise for that game.

[quote name='shrike4242']I think I'm passing this round on the sale items. There's a couple I already have, and the rest I'm going to pass on. We'll see what happens at noon CT.[/QUOTE]
Does something special happen at noon? I don't recall hearing anything like that

EDIT -
Right. Not everyone lives on Pacific Time. >.>

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Does something special happen at noon? I don't recall hearing anything like that[/QUOTE]

It's when the deals change.

I was hoping for a lower price on Recettear. Any lower and it would have been an impluse buy.

Considering that Tales of Monkey Island has been $5 in the past, $17.49 is horribly high.

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Awww, these aren't the id pack at all. D: Oh well. I'll probably be in for Recettear (or however you spell it). Heard a lot of general praise for that game.

Does something special happen at noon? I don't recall hearing anything like that[/QUOTE]

It probably updates at noon where he lives. Nothing good for me today either, so my wallet thanks me again.

• Aliens vs Predator - $5.00 (75% off)
  • Assassin's Creed 2 - $14.99 (50% off), $12.00 if you own Assassin's Creed
  • Bully: Scholarship Edition - $3.75 (75% off)
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - $14.99 (50% off)
  • Day of Defeat: Source - $2.50 (75% off)
  • Just Cause 2 - $7.50 (75% off)
  • Railworks 2 - $6.00 (85% off)
  • Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale - $6.80 (66% off)
  • Spore - $7.50 (75% off)
  • Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack - $17.49 (50% off)
  • Trial's 2: Second Edition - $2.50 (75% off)
  • Zuma's Revenge - $8.00 (60% off)

I already have everything I want from todays deals except for Ass Creed 2 and I don't buy games unless they are 75% off.... oh well, a couple of good games there today.

Bully is a LOT of fun if anyone is on the fence about buying that one.

Wow today seems like an epic failure for me. There are a few good things in there but they have been on sale and at that price quite often. The rest is really old or overpriced

Yeah, nothing. A rare miss.

BTW, whatever happened to Spore? I thought they were going to expansion pack the hell out of that thing like they did The Sims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back