Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone thinking about Recettear - you might want to get it now if you think you'll play it. Carpe Fulgur (the localization team) says that it wont be on sale again for a while.

"And so, just in time for the holidays, Recettear is on sale once again. The game will be on sale for the entire duration of the Holiday Sale. There will not be any sales for a while after this, so hop on while you can!"

Anyways, I highly recommend it.

Recettear may have been cheaper before, but it's absolutely still a deal at this price point. It's easily the most fun I've had with a game since mass effect 2 early in the year.

The funny thing is, I'm the guy who normally complains about excessive inventory management, but I have no problem with it here. Also, while the combat is admittedly simple, the great part for me is how unique the different adventurers play given the simplicity.

I can't recommend the game enough.

[quote name='moojuice']I kinda want Railworks just for the novelty of it lol[/QUOTE]

It's a very good sim game, if you like trains. It's not easy though; there is a "simplified controls" mode (by default) but no arcade mode.

RailWorks has a great pedigree... Microsoft Train Simulator 1.0 was good, but when they decided to scrap version 2.0 mid-way through development, the studio spun off and ended up making Rail Simulator, which was also very good. RailWorks is the successor to Rail Simulator... and now RailWorks 2.0.

There is a large online community and a lot of free mod content you can download if you want to skip that expensive DLC they offer.

When I saw the first day's deals I thought Valve was a little more serious than the underwhelming days 2 and 3 suggest.

The price for Tales of Monkey Island is pretty miserable, for example.

[quote name='Mooby']
Because it's not that great of a deal -- was sold in an indie pack during Thanksgiving for $5 along with four other games.[/QUOTE]

Yea, but that sale is gone and there is nothing indicating so far, that this game will be doing indie packs during this sale.

Yes, it may have been cheaper before, but the price for it is still quite good. My advice is that if anyone had an interest in playing it, the $6.80 sale price is quite good and well worth it.

[quote name='Wolfmight']My thoughts on today's deals:
Spore, Zuma's Revenge = o_O. Metacritic gave it a 84/100 from critic reviews, HOWEVER, gamers don't see it the same way - giving it a user score of 46/100 - FAIL.
[/QUOTE]

The original Zuma sold over 17 million copies. "Gamers" are not the target audience. Zuma's Revenge is one of the best casual games out there and a steal for the price listed.

Not directly a Steam deal so apologies if it's not appropriate to post here but if you buy the Humble Indie Bundle and pay more than the average price to date (as of today) -- $7.50 or so -- you get all of the games that were in the first bundle in addition to the ones in the current bundle. That's eleven games (World of Goo, Gish, Aquaria, Penumbra, Lugaru, Samorost 2, Revenge of the Titans, Cortex Command, Osmos, Braid, and Machinarium) total and they are all (with except of CC and Titans which are still in beta) capable of being activated on Steam (in addition to being downloaded and backed up on your hard drive sans DRM).

[quote name='Wolfmight']

Spore. Metacritic gave it a 84/100 from critic reviews, HOWEVER, gamers don't see it the same way - giving it a user score of 46/100 - FAIL.
[/QUOTE]

IIRC, the DRM was the main reason for extremely low user scores.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Yea, but that sale is gone and there is nothing indicating so far, that this game will be doing indie packs during this sale.

Yes, it may have been cheaper before, but the price for it is still quite good. My advice is that if anyone had an interest in playing it, the $6.80 sale price is quite good and well worth it.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, I've just come to learn from lurking these forums that some people really want to maximize their money spent no matter how low things might seem. Heck, I even passed on TR: Guardian of Light for $5 because I'm holding out for a global 75% off (without the requirement to own another TR game).

So is this version of Bully a good port or is it not worth getting? I've only played 3 hours of the games at my friend's house and liked it.

[quote name='iso135']Wow, the last two days I had to convince myself to not buy multiple games (only gave in for puzzle quest for 1.50).

But today....only one I am considering is Just Cause 2. Nothing else interests me...I really liked the JC2 demo I played on xbox, but I am not sure I want to play 7.50 to play it. Anyone want to convince me either way on JC2?[/QUOTE]

I got JC 2 for 6.XX during the Thanks/BF sale and played it for about four hours last Friday had a great time! Just make sure you don't have Win XP since it's not compatible. Runs perfect with my Win 7 64bit.

[quote name='Wolfpup']So Steam people...is there some "trick" to getting backups to actually restore? So far every time I've tried, it just redownloads the entire game, which is far less than ideal...

[/QUOTE]

Go Steam > steamapps > copy NCF files for all games you want to save and then go into the "common" folder and copy the folder of the games you want to save.

When you want to restore a backup just copy the NCF and/or GCF file in steamapps and then the game folder in common.

However, I have ran into a few issues on certain games. Borderlands for examples seems to not like this so I just re-download that one.

Note: Games with save files usually default in documents > My Games in Win 7. Make sure you copy these as well or you will lose your progress.

Since I already own AVP, Recettear, and JC 2 plus beat Bully SE on 360, I will pass for today. I'm actually relieved there is nothing I want today.

JC 2 is lots of fun and worth 7.50!

AVP is fun and the PC version is still supported plus it has dedicated servers for multiplayer. The one thing that sucks is it's a large install (15 GB) because the DirectX 9, 10, and 11 versions of the game install.

I have not played Recettear yet but, lots of people like it.

Bully SE was very good on 360 though, I have heard this is poor port.

Finally! The Void is back on sale for $5, + some other stuff even.

Last year around this time my credit card decided to give out, so I've been waiting a while now to get some sort of deal on it. :D

Not directly a Steam deal but they've added the first Humble Indie Bundle on to the second -- the catch is you either had to buy before today or now pay at least the average price: $7.50ish. You get a code that activates all of the games on Steam except two that are still in beta. The games are: World of Goo, Lugaru, Gish, Aquaria, Penumbra, Samorost 2 (no Steam key for that), Osmos, Braid, Machinarium, Revenge of the Titans (beta), and Cortex Command (beta).

[quote name='Mooby']Not directly a Steam deal but they've added the first Humble Indie Bundle on to the second -- the catch is you either had to buy before today or now pay at least the average price: $7.50ish. You get a code that activates all of the games on Steam except two that are still in beta. The games are: World of Goo, Lugaru, Gish, Aquaria, Penumbra, Samorost 2, Osmos, Braid, Machinarium, Revenge of the Titans (beta), and Cortex Command (beta).[/QUOTE]

Is the code actually redeemable for Samorost? I previously redeemed my code when it was first made available, but it wasn't redeemable at the time. Did they change this?

I got a second code, but I'd rather give it away than failing and redeeming it for nothing. :D

Nothing for me today, thank god. Was initially thinking about JC2, Bully, and Spore but I have enough of a backlog to hold off until next year on those.

That Item shop JRPG looks interesting but the price is too high for me when I have not spent over $5 on a game yet during this sale and I have never even heard of or tried the game either.

[quote name='helmet']Is the code actually redeemable for Samorost? I previously redeemed my code when it was first made available, but it wasn't available at the time. Did they change this?

I got a second code, but I'd rather give it away than failing to redeem it for nothing. :D[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... if you mean you already used your Humble Bundle 2 code, it's still valid, you should have a 'homepage' of sorts corresponding to the code you got in the mail -- that page will have updated with all of the new games. The Steam redemption codes are per bundle so Samorost would be in the first bundle.

(If I'm understanding you correctly.)

[quote name='Mooby']Not directly a Steam deal but they've added the first Humble Indie Bundle on to the second -- the catch is you either had to buy before today or now pay at least the average price: $7.50ish. You get a code that activates all of the games on Steam except two that are still in beta. The games are: World of Goo, Lugaru, Gish, Aquaria, Penumbra, Samorost 2, Osmos, Braid, Machinarium, Revenge of the Titans (beta), and Cortex Command (beta).[/QUOTE]
http://www.humblebundle.com/

not a bad deal at all.

That's 13 indie games for $7.44 (pay more than the average of $7.43). They give you the activation code and it unlocks them all on steam. :applause:
I already have Gish, but that's it. You can set your donation price, but it needs to be atleast $7.44 to get all 13. So I guess you could still get half of them for $0.01? (cheap ass gamer? that's messed up lol. you might get a nasty email from one of the devs... keep your pennies eh?) If you go under $1 the page actually has a funny surprise.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Still no potato bundle : ([/QUOTE]
I know right. In time....In time....

[quote name='jatan11t']"And so, just in time for the holidays, Recettear is on sale once again. The game will be on sale for the entire duration of the Holiday Sale. There will not be any sales for a while after this, so hop on while you can!"
[/QUOTE]

Good point, and while that might be true, it isn't like they are going to say "We want everyone to pay the highest price possible, but since people aren't buying it at full price, we will continue to offer different promotions at different times if people continue to not buy at the full price."

Also, "for a while" is somewhat open to interpretation. They may have meant something like "for the rest of this year" ;-)

That said, if people only bought games at the lowest possible prices, the devs wouldn't be able to make a living, so if it is a game you like (or really think you'll like) go ahead and buy it and don't get too upset if it goes on sale for a lower price later. But if you weren't planning on buying it anyway, you might as well wait for a better sale to happen (which may be a year from now).

[quote name='Mooby']Hmmm... if you mean you already used your Humble Bundle 2 code, it's still valid, you should have a 'homepage' of sorts corresponding to the code you got in the mail -- that page will have updated with all of the new games. The Steam redemption codes are per bundle so Samorost would be in the first bundle.

(If I'm understanding you correctly.)[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the confusion. I redeemed the Humble Bundle 1 recently, but didn't get Samorost. I was curious if they added it now. I received another code, but didn't want to waste it if they didn't add Samorost for steam.

I put in a support ticket about the Lara Croft price not being $3.60 with Legend. I got a response, with three hours to spare:
[quote name='Steam Support']Hello David, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. I show that this title is on a standard sale with no current restrictions on a previous title. http://store.steampowered.com/app/35130/ If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.[/quote]
Steam support can go fuck themselves. Good thing I got it for $4 from someone else, instead of waiting for Steam to help me.

Anyways, today's sale is kind of meh, which my wallet appreciates. I do like Trials, so I'll pick that up. I'll also get a couple of the indie packs I've been looking at.

Ah, I see, that's my mistake then -- I just used the global activate code and have now noticed it did not, in fact, add Samorost 2 to Steam so, scratch that~

[quote name='SamusXtreme']Woo!

Now, to buy or wait until a future sale where it might be bundled in an indie pack...[/QUOTE]

Too expensive. I paid $1. Valve set the bar there. Wait them out.

[hypertexttransferprotocol]://www [dot] humblebundle [dot] com/bundle-in-bundle
(Sorry, new users aren't allowed to post links in forum posts. - Although understandable, quite a nuisance if one's actually trying to be helpfull :S)

"A word about Steam

Our Steam keys for the Humble Bundle #1 are a little glitchy: they don't unlock Samorost 2 or the Mac versions of Gish and Aquaria. We will try to fix this but since it's ultimately out of our control, we can't make any guarantees. Additionally, we only have about 150,000 of them. I believe we will be able to get more, but currently, they are on a first come first serve basis. Also, no promises about activating your HIB #1 games on Desura at the moment."

I hope that clears stuff up ;)

Humble Bundle 1: Samorost 2 is not on steam, but you can download it seperately

Humbel Bundle 2: Corex Command and Revenge of the Titans are not on steam, but you can download them seperately.

In both bundles, you can download the game and add it to steam both if it's on steam.

[quote name='CH82']Too expensive. I paid $1. Valve set the bar there. Wait them out.[/QUOTE]
lol are yall talking about Recettear? I have a feeling they'll have atleast another sale with it. Indie games are pushed much harder with sales to increase their publicity and perhaps someday surpass indie status.

RailWorks 2 is mine. So sick of people bitching about that game. I love sims, myself.

[quote name='1swat2killthemall']open steam
click on store
open page 16 of steam's magical christmas book of goodness.
Try finding something called "telltale"
go back to its first page
cry[/quote]

lol!

[quote name='mcdaking84']anyone know the difference between trials 2 and the trials and dlc for 360?[/QUOTE]
Well, they're entirely separate games, for starters. Trials HD (the 360 one) is basically Trials 3. Trials 2 is still awesome, though.

If you buy a pack of games as a gift (like the 2k pack or Eidos pack), do you gift a game individually or is the gift the entire pack?

[quote name='derekg52']If you buy a pack of games as a gift (like the 2k pack or Eidos pack), do you gift a game individually or is the gift the entire pack?[/QUOTE]

Whole thing. :(

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']RailWorks 2 is mine. So sick of people bitching about that game. I love sims, myself.

lol!

Well, they're entirely separate games, for starters. Trials HD (the 360 one) is basically Trials 3. Trials 2 is still awesome, though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was discounted that much from the start of the sale, clever marketing trick bringing it to the frontpage like that, or a mock up. (Let's hope the latter, I loved Monkey Island 1 and 2.)

So after looking at the Recettear page I stumbled upon a game called "Grotesque Tactics: Premiere Edition", as an adoring fan of final fantasy tactics i have a feeling i'll pick this up before the end of the sale, anybody ever try it out?

[quote name='Sweetbabyjezuz']So after looking at the Recettear page I stumbled upon a game called "Grotesque Tactics: Premiere Edition", as an adoring fan of final fantasy tactics i have a feeling i'll pick this up before the end of the sale, anybody ever try it out?[/QUOTE]

Nothing good. You're better off waiting for the daily deal on the King's Bounty pack. The publisher of Grotesque Tactics, Headup Games, is notorious for pushing out a lot of half-baked titles, grabbing some quick cash, then failing to follow up with basic support.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Go Steam > steamapps > copy NCF files for all games you want to save and then go into the "common" folder and copy the folder of the games you want to save.

When you want to restore a backup just to put the NCF file in steamapps and then the game folder in common.

However, I have ran into a few issues on certain games. Borderlands for examples seems to not like this so I just re-download that one.

Note: Games with save files usually default in documents > My Games in Win 7. Make sure you copy these as well or you will lose your progress.[/quote]

Nice! Thanks!

I wish the actual "backup" utility worked though...you'd think they would have fixed it by now :(

I guess I'll print this out and start trying to back up Steam stuff with your method instead.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Nice! Thanks!

I wish the actual "backup" utility worked though...you'd think they would have fixed it by now :(

I guess I'll print this out and start trying to back up Steam stuff with your method instead.[/QUOTE]

Hmm...two of the games I currently have on my system aren't in the "common" folder, though there are .GCF files that are huge...so maybe I just need to copy all those too...

That is SO weird if you can just copy those files and be fine, but not use the official backup utility :whistle2:/

Oh boy! Recettear is on sale! I'm glad I waited it out, because I knew it would eventually be on sale like this!

Yup. That's exactly what I'd be saying right now if they hadn't blown it by tossing it into a $5 indie pack last month. I was overjoyed, of course, but they lost a lot of potential purchases by bundling it so soon after its release. Steam can be really mind boggling with its pricing.

Have the pair of Penny Arcade episodic games ever been on sale? I bulked up my wishlist for Steam's contests, and those two are the only games that have never been on sale in the time since.

Thinking about Just Cause 2. It seems like a good distraction, but it'd be an insta buy at $5. I'm not sure why $2.50 is holding me back, though.

[quote name='ForeStorm']Thinking about Just Cause 2. It seems like a good distraction, but it'd be an insta buy at $5. I'm not sure why $2.50 is holding me back, though.[/QUOTE]
I have the same feeling, I think 7.50 feels closer to 10 which isn't as much of a splurge than $5. On the other hand for some reason I would instantly buy if that was the PS3 price, maybe I'm addicted to trophies?

[quote name='ForeStorm']Thinking about Just Cause 2. It seems like a good distraction, but it'd be an insta buy at $5. I'm not sure why $2.50 is holding me back, though.[/QUOTE]

Because your a CAG same as me and many others. At $5 id have bought it today as well but at $7.50 its a no go. Same with RE5 yesterday which if it would have been $7.50 id have bought. Thing is with the big name releases I always feel better having them on a console both because I feel more like I own it and because the online communities and trophy/achievement systems mean more. That means that if the Steam version comes in WAY cheaper then the console version like Borderlands did last year I get the steam version, but whenever its roughly the same price as a good sale on the console version...it just does not seem as tempting.

I understand the $5 insta-buy mindset, but just buy it. I picked it up during the Thanksgiving sale, and haven't put it down yet. In fact I picked up some the DLC Monday.
Great game worthy of $7.50

Asked before but want to ask again(and probably again later!), does anyone have any recommendations for lesser known titles? My fav part of last years Steam sale was not games like Borderlands that I already knew I wanted to buy, but the games like Nation Red and Evil Genius which had flown under my radar up till the sale.

Right now on my list of games to buy as the sale goes on are Tiki Tori, Railroad Tycoon and Geomatry wars but not much else, hoping to find some of those amazing under the radar games I did not know I wanted but end up loving to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back