Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a stupid question, but does the DLC for Mass Effect 1+2 play nicely with Steam?

I'm seriously considering getting both for $20, even though I own CE disc copies. Nice to have everything on Steam, but want all the extras to work too.

[quote name='cheesycrouton']How do the King's Bounty games compare to Final Fantasy Tactics?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't even compare them. King's Bounty is tactical on a much smaller field of play, and enemies are grouped together on the same tile. The original KB was the precursor to the Might & Magic games. Tactics obviously deals with specific characters, and has a much better story. KB isn't really about the story; I'd say its most forgettable.

I enjoy both. KB took me about 80-90 hours to complete, and was definitely difficult in parts.

[quote name='macschwag14']Probably a stupid question, but does the DLC for Mass Effect 1+2 play nicely with Steam?

I'm seriously considering getting both for $20, even though I own CE disc copies. Nice to have everything on Steam, but want all the extras to work too.[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for ME2 but I was able to add the Bring Down the Sky DLC for ME1 without any issues. I think the DLC for ME2 is tied to your Bioware account (at least it was for DA) so there shouldn't be any troubles there either.

Those of us picking up Blood Bowl, we should have a CAG league.

It's something I've been wanting to do for awhile, but the lack of discounts on the original really suppressed purchases.

[quote name='rhettdb2005']I've been thinking this as well...[/QUOTE]

likewise. patrician IV looks pretty good.

picked up ME2, is Alpha Protocol worth $7.50? The metacritic reviews look pretty mediocre.

[quote name='cheesycrouton']How do the King's Bounty games compare to Final Fantasy Tactics?[/QUOTE]

King's Bounty game is more similar to the heroes of might and magic line of games than final fantasy tactics. I found it better than the heroes of might and magic series that I played before but, I forgot which version I played. I'm currently only on the legend which is the base game and the three classes in there are different enough to make it interesting. The randomization aspect of the game may put some people off though, but basically every game you play regardless of character will have some randomized units available as well as resources. Even your level up bonuses will differ to some extent. I believe the platinum edition will get you all 3 versions, and it's currently cheaper elsewhere compared to steam.

To describe the gameplay, you have your hero with his spells and skills who travels around hiring a small army. Your hero will go around questing and exploring the lands for resources (gold, runes, gear, etc.). You will fight set enemies on the map and in your quests will also fight bosses and siege castles. In battles, your hero never actually shows up as a unit, instead you help your army by casting spells and using rage (The reverse of mana, you build up rage in combat whereas mana drains down, also different spells available for rage).

This game would most likely appeal to the people who love stats and leveling up their characters. The stats also come from the appeal in finding spell, gear and unit combinations that make for a stronger army.

Hrm, tempted by Blood Bowl, but I thinking can wait for further drops in price. Maybe tomorrow will hold something for me again...

[quote name='Mike UFC']I can't speak for ME2 but I was able to add the Bring Down the Sky DLC for ME1 without any issues. I think the DLC for ME2 is tied to your Bioware account (at least it was for DA) so there shouldn't be any troubles there either.[/QUOTE]It is tied to your account. Free DLC or promotional DLC works on either PC or 360, though paid DLC only works on the platform purchased for.

[quote name='cheesycrouton']How do the King's Bounty games compare to Final Fantasy Tactics?[/QUOTE]They both are tactical RPGs, where turn-based combat takes place on a grid.

That said, FFT deals with characters, who have job classes and specific abilities. KB deals with armies made up of individual units (ie 10 swordsmen, 20 archers, 50 golems). Each individual unit is a lot more limited than an FFT character, usually with just one standard attack.

If you've played any of the Heroes of Might and Magic games, or even Master of Magic or Fantasy General, the combat there is very similar to King's Bounty.

Kings Bounty also has actual role playing. You play a character (the general of your armies), you get quests, you make choices, etc. FFT just has a linear story for you to play through.

Not to beat a dead horse but I do agree with the people who are a bit underwhelmed. There's half a dozen titles from today's sales I would pick up... at lower prices. Mass Effect 1 (and possibly 2) has been as low as $5 in other Steam promos. I might budge on Darksiders at $10.

[quote name='burningfur']is Alpha Protocol worth $7.50? The metacritic reviews look pretty mediocre.[/QUOTE]
Based on reviews from CAG and my co-workers, Alpha Protocol has a good story, good dialog based choices, good role playing etc. It has poor graphics, poor combat, poor game balance. I've yet to talk to anyone who didn't enjoy it, but they admit it has faults.

If you care more about the story, dialog, and choices in an RPG, you'll probably overlook its faults and enjoy it. If you care more about graphics, game balance, and combat gameplay, you should pass.

[quote name='justme99z']Bought Civ IV.... figured I had held out long enough!

Now if only Civ V would go on sale SOMEWHERE...[/QUOTE]

I think it was on sale second day of sale for $37.49:bomb:

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']In for ME2 (standard...don't think the extra content is worth another $10).[/QUOTE]
DLC content so rarely is. I view DLC as a tipping mechanism. It's very rarely worth it from a monetary perspective, but if you enjoy a game and want to tip the company, you get DLC in return for your donation.

[quote name='timobkg']Based on reviews from CAG and my co-workers, Alpha Protocol has a good story, good dialog based choices, good role playing etc. It has poor graphics, poor combat, poor game balance. I've yet to talk to anyone who didn't enjoy it, but they admit it has faults.

If you care more about the story, dialog, and choices in an RPG, you'll probably overlook its faults and enjoy it. If you care more about graphics, game balance, and combat gameplay, you should pass.[/QUOTE]

Fair assessment of it. The AI is also pretty atrocious -- you can see this in a few YouTube 'Let's Plays' especially during this one 'boss' fight where he proceeds to run into a wall while you shoot him in the back.

[quote name='Soetoro']Why did you buy it on Steam? Steam sales this year are pathetic, many other sites offer the same game for much much less. MassEffect 2 for example is only 7.50 daily on GamerGate.com and doesn't have Steam infamous DRM.[/QUOTE]

Steam's "infamous DRM"?

We need to get rid of these advertising accounts for GamerGate. This shit is getting old.

[quote name='TheKbob']I would be TOTALLY DOWN for Risen, but it has TAGES. Like the super bad TAGES. I wouldn't even buy it for $5. SecuROM can deauthorize and some "regen" tickets. TAGES is just 3 and you're done. No thank you.[/QUOTE]

I was hesitant to pick up Risen last month until I found the following post on the Steam forums:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18646279&postcount=34

So according to the dev, Steam users can reinstall the game more than three times; they just need to contact their support team for more activations. Moreover, the three reinstallations are ONLY counted if you reinstall the game after a hardware change or OS reinstall.

I won't go into DRM or no DRM talk in this thread, but I will say that I found it reasonable enough for me to buy the game. ^_^

And I'm glad I did! I don't play many European RPGs of this type often at all, but I think it's a blast so far. I like the graphics and sound design, and the environments are varied and quite pretty.

Some people mention that the combat is difficult; yes, yes it is. But I would say to those people that you need to build yourself up slowly, and more importantly, you need to learn how to doge and block. It's not a crisp kind of combat like you'd find in modern Zelda games (lock on, dodge, etc.) but I did find that using a similar mentality helped me in battles immensely. I was dodging around enemies and shanking them from the side and rear much more often after approaching things this way.

I would also recommend consulting a FAQ for this game (a great one here) ONLY if you care about knowing how to avoid a particular game branch that is irreversible (but not necessarily bad). The game mentions what to avoid often in the beginning so it shouldn't really be a surprise:

Unless you avoid them, monks (not the farm ones) can capture you and force you into their order. It's not a bad thing necessarily since you can still finish the game, but you won't have access to certain skills and quests.

Finally, know that if you pick up a plant or kill someone or something that they never come back, ever. I toss this out to those, like me, who forget this kind of design element in such games. There are lots of opportunities to rest and heal (water barrels) in the game, so as long as you take your time you'll be fine.

Hope that helps some of you make your choice. I really like the game a lot and found it a nice change of pace. From what I've read, if you liked Gothic II, you'll probably like this game.

[quote name='greydt']Just wanted to drop in a big thanks to eastx for keeping up with the updating, and going the extra mile by adding in videos + reviews.[/QUOTE]

Here, here! :) Yeah, thanks for all the hard work, buddy!

[quote name='timobkg']DLC content so rarely is. I view DLC as a tipping mechanism. It's very rarely worth it from a monetary perspective, but if you enjoy a game and want to tip the company, you get DLC in return for your donation.[/QUOTE]

In this case, the add-ons aren't all the game DLC, they're a soundtrack, making-of video, etc similar to what you'd've gotten if you bought the fancy boxed copy before DLC was released.

(although, I suppose with ME2, DLC was actually released -before- the game hit shelves...)

[quote name='wilflare']am i the only one seeing ME2 at 25 for standard, 30 for deluxe? :/[/QUOTE]

Are you looking through the Steam client or the website? Maybe try logging in if you haven't already?

I'm seeing deluxe @ $20, and each vanilla version @ $10.

Anyone know if my voucher I got with my retail copy of dragon age works with the steam copy of me2? It supposedly gives me extra armor or something.

Also check to see if your based priced was changed for the games. It was mentioned in a previous post that they may of raised the base price up to $50 for ME2 outside of the US which would explain why your 50% prices are showing different.

[quote name='CH82']Anyone know if my voucher I got with my retail copy of dragon age works with the steam copy of me2? It supposedly gives me extra armor or something.[/QUOTE]

Yes. You register it through the BioWare website.

[quote name='Zipomatic2']Today's deals are so disappointing for me, not because they are not great games (they are) and not because I don't want them (I do) but because they are only 50% off. I want to buy Blur, Deathspank, Bloodbowl, Risen, Dead Rising and Mass Effect 2, but I have a huge backlog of games and I don't see the point in buying games I want at only 50% off when I know that if I wait a few months, they will eventually drop to the magic 75% off price point.

I guess It's people like me that are killing the PC gaming industry.....[/QUOTE]

How can you be killing it if you have a "huge backlog of games"?

Anyway I am in for Darksiders, yeah!

sheesh..
i logout and login..
same.
25 for standard, 30 for deluxe

both on the web and steam client
how much deathspank on yours?

sighh

That's a decent price for Alpha Protocol. It has its fun moments (like stealthing through levels), but then it has not so fun moments (like having nowhere to hide because it's a boss fight and they're just on your ass.)

Sadly, I think Mass Effect has been on for $5 before, as I grabbed it then. I already have the boxed CE, but I'd probably spring for it on Steam for $5. :D But...for those of you looking for a good price on ME2 and haven't gotten it yet, $10 is pretty good.

This is probably a stupid question, but... ME/ME2 doesn't have DLC on Steam? If I wanted it, would I have to buy directly from my BioWare/EA account or something?

I assume ME2 comes with a Cerberus network code as well, right?

[quote name='timobkg']Based on reviews from CAG and my co-workers, Alpha Protocol has a good story, good dialog based choices, good role playing etc. It has poor graphics, poor combat, poor game balance. I've yet to talk to anyone who didn't enjoy it, but they admit it has faults.

If you care more about the story, dialog, and choices in an RPG, you'll probably overlook its faults and enjoy it. If you care more about graphics, game balance, and combat gameplay, you should pass.[/QUOTE]

This is a perfect assessment of that game. I just put up with the combat for the story.

Put all of your points in stealth and pistols and the game is a cakewalk.

[quote name='wilflare']sheesh..
i logout and login..
same.
25 for standard, 30 for deluxe
...[/QUOTE]

Where do you live? If you live in the US and have paypal I can gift you a copy. :)

Probably gonna get Mass effect 1 and 2 on steam. About to get a better computer and I'd rather play them on the pc than the xbox. Also thinking about bloodbowl but with me picking up both mass Effects and potentially some DLC for them I don't want to blow my budget for steam today XD so I'll probably pass on it.

I have never played Blood Bowl but it looks interesting. I would only casually play it and can't justify the legendary edition for $20 (50% off) but the dark elves edition is only $5 (75% off). I know there are less playable races but is the dark elves version that crippled in comparison to the legendary version?

[quote name='Daykain']I have never played Blood Bowl but it looks interesting. I would only casually play it and can't justify the legendary edition for $20 (50% off) but the dark elves edition is only $5 (75% off). I know there are less playable races but is the dark elves version that crippled in comparison to the legendary version?[/QUOTE]

I think there are a ton of new features/bug fixes/gameplay in addition to the races.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Not sure of someone else has already posted it in this thread yet, but you can get The Ball from D2D for $4 right now until Monday and then activate it on Steam (since this is a Steam thread). Details here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282417

Just bought it and activated it on Steam myself.[/QUOTE]

Wow 4/5 on that list activate on steam I think.

Trine, The Ball, Defense Grid, and Torchlight

edit nevermind they must be special versions of trine and torchlight

They might still activate but I'm not sure.

So far, this sale pales in comparison to past Steam sales. It appears that Steam now has a large enough installed user base that the developers don't feel the need to cut prices as low as they have in the past. I'm still buying a game a day, but gone are the days of picking up 5 or more daily deals.

I sure hope the iD pack goes on sale for $35 again this time, that's the one deal I regret skipping in the past.

[quote name='pROvIs']I think there are a ton of new features/bug fixes/gameplay in addition to the races.[/QUOTE]

Okay thanks. I see the Dark Elves edition owners can't play against the Legendary edition owners. Will wait for a better sale next year. :)

Blur
Darksiders
Dead Rising 2
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

Really torn between these games I am going to buy Operation Flashpoint just for the price and the good reviews. But I want to not go crazy on this sale like I did last year and there are still alot of deals to come. I think I can wait on Blur because I am not big on racing games but this is more like mario kart with realistic cars I heard. Dead Rising 2 I want bad but I feel I can get it on the console for cheaper soon enough and Darksiders is the same.

[quote name='SportInjectionR']I sure hope the iD pack goes on sale for $35 again this time, that's the one deal I regret skipping in the past.[/QUOTE]It was $35 for the whole sale last year. It was on a daily deal for $23.something.

Grabbed the Mass Effects. I wanted them and Fallout 3 from this sale. None of them were quite as cheap as I wanted, but while I wanted to spend $30 total on all of them, $40 for that much game is pretty ok with me!

Spared again! Then again, there isn't a lot I'm actually looking for.

Darksiders is great for the price. I got it for 360 at about the same price, and I think it's worth it. Pretty short (not much longer if you're collecting everything), but great fun. Definitely comparable to Zelda at least in terms of dungeon aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back