Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Actionhank']How can you be killing it if you have a "huge backlog of games"?

Anyway I am in for Darksiders, yeah![/QUOTE]

The reason I said I was killing it (in a slightly sarcastic way I guess) is because I never pay full price for a game. EVER. (no matter how much I want it) I will wait a year, or two, or five and when the game is dirt cheap, I will buy it. (I'm currently playing Halo.... modern games rule!!)

If I bought a game right away (or at a slight discount) the game makers, companies and programmers would get more cash, so they would make more games (etc)

I'm probably gonna be in for Darksiders too, looks like fun, fun FUN!!

In for Darksiders. I would've gotten Dead Rising 2 and Risen as well if they were just a smidgen cheaper.

EDIT: Dead Rising 2 is $16 if you own Resident Evil 5. Now that's tempting...

[quote name='daroga']It was $35 for the whole sale last year. It was on a daily deal for $23.something.

Grabbed the Mass Effects. I wanted them and Fallout 3 from this sale. None of them were quite as cheap as I wanted, but while I wanted to spend $30 total on all of them, $40 for that much game is pretty ok with me![/QUOTE]

Having played none of them I was mulling over what the better deal is: me1/2 for $20 or fallout 3 goty for $22. Might just have to bite the bullet like you did.

[quote name='SportInjectionR']So far, this sale pales in comparison to past Steam sales. It appears that Steam now has a large enough installed user base that the developers don't feel the need to cut prices as low as they have in the past. I'm still buying a game a day, but gone are the days of picking up 5 or more daily deals.[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ. I have found more to buy this sale than any other. They are actually discounting the games I want for a change. Just about everything in my wish list, aside from Brink and COD, has made it onto the daily deals.

I'm having mega fun with RE5 and feel it was worth every penny of the $10 I spent on it, for instance. Not every single deal (or day) they have will be tailored to you. There are days in every Steam sale where I turn my nose up to the selections. But someone out there likes those games, I imagine. They're not exactly running their sales specifically for you, or me.

I probably would have bought a disc version of dead Rising 2 for $20 but I'm not sure about a download version since I can't sell or trade it. In for Darksiders for sure though.

[quote name='avwjase'] Not every single deal (or day) they have will be tailored to you. There are days in every Steam sale where I turn my nose up to the selections. But someone out there likes those games, I imagine. They're not exactly running their sales specifically for you, or me.[/QUOTE]

Has nothing to do with preference. He's right: the percentage discounts are lower across the board/on average this year than they were the last two large sales (Holiday and Summer). Excluding the indie packs, of course, but they probably ran the numbers and decided such packages raked in a larger net profit by making them more visible to people who wouldn't otherwise consider buying them.

I'm glad the prices haven't been low enough for me the past 2 days so my wallet is getting rest. My PC is about 2-3 years old so I'm not sure it's worth buying newer games to play on it so I'm catching up on older ones.

My Wishlist includes Mass Effect 2, Dead Rising 2, Darksiders, and DeathSpank but feel they will all be cheaper eventually and I won't play any of them now unless it's DeathSpank but I want to get the sequel too so I hope Valve will bundle them eventually.

I think people have different purposes for the sale so depending on your objective the sale will/has be/been good or so so.

I use this to catch some gems or games I wouldn't have otherwise play for real cheap. So far I've had the cheap games already or not been interested. For those looking for a specific game to drop in price there has been some decent sales so I can see them being happier at this point. We still got a full week left so I am sure my steam folder is going to grow by the end of the sale.

Totally want to pull the trigger on Hitman Collection and Jedi Knight Collection but holding out to the last day for those just in case any of them go cheaper. It's so PAINFUL!!!!

I agree that the holiday sale is really lacking this year, save for a few titles. There should be no reason that a game like Risen should be selling for $15 on a daily deal, or a game like Recettear (which is awesome) should be $7 compared to the $1 it was in a bundle a month ago.

I'm really only looking for a few games to go on sale (Kings Bounty Platinum, a couple of the huge bundles) so I'll just save my money until then.

[quote name='lordopus99']I kept hearing how great this sale was in the past yet the past two days have had terrible sales. Just my opinion.[/QUOTE]
You new to Steam sales? They're hit and miss, but more hit than misses. Some days might seem awful, the next day might have something you've been wanting for months dirt cheap.

For example I'm only getting things I REALLY want, because all the little things add up. I wanted Bully and Just Cause 2 and a bunch of other stuff but I'm showing some restraint and only got BC2 and Deus Ex pack so far for less than $10.

And you guys are forgetting that there's still more than a week left of sales?

It seems some people have already forgotten that last year only had 5 daily deals per day. We are now getting 13 deals per day... I don't expect to be interested in all of them!

I picked up Darksiders and the Future Indie Pack today and will happily be enjoying those while I wait for the next ~130 or so daily deals. :roll:

Bah, no Combo pack for Mass Effects! $20 for 2 isn't too bad tho. A lot of people predicted them to be shown sooner or later. I'm betting Steam will have a last day comeback with a pack! Under $15 and warmer for thought. Under $10 and it's a no-brainer. I'm still shocked by that Dues Ex combo deal and now all these $19.99 50% off single games.

Might grab OP:Flashpoint for $3 - 76/100 metacritic - but I already got 3 shooter games I haven't touched in the COD pack I bought last summer for uber-cheap $20 ish.

50% off leaving $19.99 is everyday sale material in my opinion. Some high prices today.

Would grab Mass, but I'm certain it will be cheaper later. The game is too popular for steam to give up on, they "will" have it lower later if not early next year.

Only wanted Trials 2 yesterday, but I decided not to after finding out it doesn't allow a lot of course design. If you had to design, repair, and solve each track like a puzzle, and then test them out - that'd be a steal. Or if you had to accomplish certain goals by building a complete track from fresh, that's be even more of a steam steal.

Another safe day for the wallet.

Glad there is nothing I want today. But then, I've only spent $6.50 so far between the Indie Fantasy Pack and Puzzle Quest. A friend gifted me Spore. Happiest game ever. :)

lol at the people complaining about the sale so far.

$.50 for PB Winterbottom
$3.75 for Super Meat Boy
$6+ for bad company 2
$10 for what might be the best game of 2010 - Mass Effect 2 - It baffles the mind how people can complain about getting ME2 for $10
$6+ for Just Cause 2 which you can sink 50 hours into easily
$10 for Darksiders - I happen to think this is a great deal for this unappreciated game
$20+ for Fallout 3 + all the dlc released for it
Not to mention all the indie packs and catalog sales.

These are just off the top of my head.

Stop acting like you're entitled to everything being 5 bucks or less. Are some of the sale items lackluster? YES. But there are plenty of great deals with tons of content and value for your dollar. I know this is cheapassgamer but it's time to grow up.

It's actually kind of disgusting that most of this complaining boils down to "ME ME ME ME I want I want I want" and it's fucking Christmas. If you find the sales lacking take the $20 you were going to spend on games and give it to Child's Play or some other deserving organization.

If anything make a separate "Let's bitch about the Steam Sale" thread so you can do it there.

/end rant

[quote name='TLPRIME']lol at the people complaining about the sale so far.

$.50 for PB Winterbottom
$3.75 for Super Meat Boy
$6+ for bad company 2
$10 for what might be the best game of 2010 - Mass Effect 2 - It baffles the mind how people can complain about getting ME2 for $10
$10 for Darksiders - I happen to think this is a great deal for this unappreciated game

Stop acting like you're entitled to everything being 5 bucks or less. Are some of the sale items lackluster? YES. But there are plenty of great deals with tons of content and value for your dollar. I know this is cheapassgamer but it's time to grow up.

It's actually kind of disgusting that most of this complaining boils down to "ME ME ME ME I want I want I want" and it's fucking Christmas. If you find the sales lacking take the $20 you were going to spend on games and give it to Child's Play or some other deserving organization.

If anything make a separate "Let's bitch about the Steam Sale" thread so you can do it there.

/end rant[/QUOTE]

Yuuuuuuuup.

Stranger's Wrath? FOR PC?! This sale is fucking magical.

I don't think the rest of the sale is terrible. There are no $2 Stalkers, but for the most part the deals are pretty reasonable (if I didn't already own most of whats been sold). :D

I wish I didn't own so many of the games in the indie packs, or those would be instant purchases.

Been thinking about getting Mass Effect 2. Though I already have the 360 Collector's Edition, I'd really like to sell it but still be able to try out the DLC. :(

So, I have been looking into buying the mass effect's for a while. But, I am an xbox guy really, just got a laptop that will play new games about a month ago.

With that said, I don't want to start a console/pc debate, but, have read that mass effects are better on pc. Also, at 20 dollars for both they are probably cheaper as well..

So, anyone have an opinion on whether I should pull the trigger on me 1 and 2 for 20 bucks?

Keep in mind that I am xbox guy, and am not necessarily used to keyboard and mouse controls. But, I have been playing l4d2 and some rpg's lately using k/m.

[quote name='iso135']So, I have been looking into buying the mass effect's for a while. But, I am an xbox guy really, just got a laptop that will play new games about a month ago.

With that said, I don't want to start a console/pc debate, but, have read that mass effects are better on pc. Also, at 20 dollars for both they are probably cheaper as well..

So, anyone have an opinion on whether I should pull the trigger on me 1 and 2 for 20 bucks?

Keep in mind that I am xbox guy, and am not necessarily used to keyboard and mouse controls. But, I have been playing l4d2 and some rpg's lately using k/m.[/QUOTE]

Depending on your connection you could just try out the demo. :D

This sale has been incredible. People bitching are silly. No, not every single game you've ever wanted will be $2.50 or whatever.

[quote name='helmet']Stranger's Wrath? FOR PC?! This sale is fucking magical.[/QUOTE]

Prepare to have your excitement crushed when you play it, because it is the worst port ever.

And unlike Super Meat Boy, it's actually a port.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
Prepare to have your excitement crushed when you play it, because it is the worst port ever.

And unlike Super Meat Boy, it's actually a port.[/QUOTE]

That's about it :whistle2:/ I was really excited to get it and then all the reports of how crappy it was poured in and I decided to wait. I've been waiting for years for that and I decided to wait that's how bad some of the problems people were having.

Of course Wings of Prey goes on sale now, after I already spent 30 for it on Amazon as a Christmas present for my dad. I guess a physical copy makes a better gift anyway

[quote name='glyph42']It seems some people have already forgotten that last year only had 5 daily deals per day. We are now getting 13 deals per day... I don't expect to be interested in all of them!

I picked up Darksiders and the Future Indie Pack today and will happily be enjoying those while I wait for the next ~130 or so daily deals. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Don't know what sale you are thinking of, but last years Steam holiday sale had 10 daily deals per day .

Couldn't a kind soul stand up and help me out with the mass effects? As reported, it's $20 for non-US folks, I'd like to get both for $20.

Looking for something to scratch my Torchlight itch, DeathSpank looks like more of a beat em up. I'm just wondering how the upgrade mechanic is.

[quote name='TLPRIME']lol at the people complaining about the sale so far.

$.50 for PB Winterbottom
$3.75 for Super Meat Boy
$6+ for bad company 2

/end rant[/QUOTE]

LOL It still surprises me when people are surprised that there are some really CHEAP ASS GAMERS on this website. :bouncy:

But you go girl! :bomb:

[quote name='helmet']Depending on your connection you could just try out the demo. :D[/QUOTE]

Forgot about that, I have this demo on the 360 as we speak. I liked it, but I'll DL it on pc and see how I like it with keyboard and mouse. Appreciate the suggestion.

I fully agree with TLPrime. It would be great if there was less complaining in the thread. CAG used to have a lot less negativity. So please, everyone try to be more positive.

[quote name='52club']Looking for something to scratch my Torchlight itch, DeathSpank looks like more of a beat em up. I'm just wondering how the upgrade mechanic is.[/QUOTE]

Try Loki. It's $2.50 and the same kind of game. Linked it in the recommendations section of the OP.

[quote name='Afrodiziak']I agree that the holiday sale is really lacking this year, save for a few titles. There should be no reason that a game like Risen should be selling for $15 on a daily deal, or a game like Recettear (which is awesome) should be $7 compared to the $1 it was in a bundle a month ago.

I'm really only looking for a few games to go on sale (Kings Bounty Platinum, a couple of the huge bundles) so I'll just save my money until then.[/QUOTE]

Lots of people are saying this, but was Recettear ever actually in a bundle? I thought it was rumored, and one of the developers said no, but there would be a discount for the holiday sale.

I have a good time watching this sale and sending cheap games around.

In the past month or so, I grabbed the thanksgiving indie story pack and indie air pack (particularly to try gratuitous space battles), during the treasure hunt I got bob came in pieces and beat hazard and zombie driver to get my TF2 hat, and Just Cause 2 because I wanted the first one to be awesome and was hoping they did it better this time (seems like they did, so far).

In the holiday blitz, I've picked up some newer Prince of Persia (loved Sands of Time!) and the Future Pack.

I gave a gift of Bully on the condition that the recipient, who would have bought it anyway, buy Railworks 2 instead, and also gifted some railworks DLC to someone else.

I -received- a Zuma's Revenge, which is great.

And I've picked up Witcher and Pirates! and I plan to get Torchlight and maybe another game to make an X-Mas gift Bundle.

So I'm having a good time with steam! To the folks discussing adulthood today, as an adult with no debts and few responsibilities, it's great to be able to afford a sack of inexpensive (digital) toys!

Most of the reason people are complaining is that a lot of these deals don't really seem like anything unlike their weekly deals. Last year's deals were just dang magical :x

It's not that there aren't some good deals. It's just they're not as good as some of us were suspecting, for the most part. (and some stuff has even been offered cheaper in the past, that is being offered now)

[quote name='eastx']I fully agree with TLPrime. It would be great if there was less complaining in the thread. CAG used to have a lot less negativity. So please, everyone try to be more positive.

Try Loki. It's $2.50 and the same kind of game. Linked it in the recommendations section of the OP.[/QUOTE]

Is there a place to see every game on sale? If you click specials it just shows 100 and on the list of advertisements you can not see them all either. I clicked every game I saw they had listed, but I keep randomly seeing people mention stuff like Loki or Pirates that I had no clue was on sale. I just want to make sure I dont miss anything!

[quote name='crystalklear64']my wishlist so far has been a good prediction of whats coming so heres what deals are coming according to science.

Lost Planet 2- 15$
Risen- 10$
Dragon Age Ultimate Edition- 20$
Mass Effect 2- 7.50$ or 5$ if you have Mass Effect[/QUOTE]
i think i deserve half a point here

[quote name='airwalke']This may be a silly question, but I have ME1 through D2D... can I transfer my character over if I get ME2 on Steam?[/QUOTE]

That is answered in the FAQ portion of post # 2 of this thread. Short answer: for that particular game, no.

[quote name='eastx']I fully agree with TLPrime. It would be great if there was less complaining in the thread. CAG used to have a lot less negativity. So please, everyone try to be more positive.

Try Loki. It's $2.50 and the same kind of game. Linked it in the recommendations section of the OP.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it bums me out when people say how horrible or mediocre the sale is. We have to remember that we are not entitled to ANY of this.

[quote name='eastx']That is answered in the FAQ portion of post # 2 of this thread. Short answer: for that particular game, no.[/QUOTE]

I realize this... not looking to get ME1 transferred to steam for free... I just didn't know if having both installed means that the Steam version of ME2 would be able to read the non-Steam version and allow me to use the same character.

[quote name='sotc1988']I agree, it bums me out when people say how horrible or mediocre the sale is. We have to remember that we are not entitled to ANY of this.[/QUOTE]

Entitled or not, there have been great deals, every day. Even today, we've got games that are just a few months old, catering to all kinds of audiences, on massive discounts, cheaper than you can find anywhere else. Not to mention hundreds of great deals that are available for the duration of the sale. What more do people want?

maybe i just like different games than others but the steam sale has been amazing for me so far. everyday at least 1 if not 2 things on my wishlist (within reason, obviously portal 2 or dungeon siege 3 aren't going to get sales before they're even out) have been available at a good price. i've even picked up some stuff just because the sale was so good (burnout, bully). no complaints here.

Is that $20 deluxe edition of ME2 worth it? Has it been cheaper?

I personally am not complaining about the price, but would love if ME1 would be $5 instead of $10, would've bought both already, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back