Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everyone for the comments on the ME2 deluxe version. I ended up just getting the normal $10 deal.

While thinking about that I also finally booted up that Recettear game that a few people starting talking about (I bought it as part of an Indie pack over Thanksgiving but hadn't tried it yet). I am impressed, the game is really fun if you can make it past the slow start.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Personally, I've never seen Steam discount a game at one price [during a single promotion] and then discount it again at an even lower price [during a single promotion].

So, Mass Effect 2 will not get cheaper during this sale.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But there could always be a first for everything. Amazon never used to do it...now it's almost expected of them. But yeah, I think the odds of Steam doing it are very low...perhaps at most they might just repeat the deal for the same price.

In any case...not going to risk it. In for ME2.

Here's hoping they have Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines and a Crysis bundle deal.

[quote name='Wolfmight']

Underrated Game pack I found for a measly $13.39

The Stronghold Collection:

• Stronghold: The original castle sim that started it all
  • Stronghold 2: The King, having fled after the defeat of his own armies, now attempts to rule his country from a secret location. Powerful barons now jostle for what is fast becoming a disintegrating kingdom – it is up to you to stem the tides of their ambition and unite the land under the king again!
  • Stronghold Crusader: Journey to distant Arabian lands renowned for brave warriors and fearsome weaponry as you lead a determined group of Crusaders. Now you have the chance to relive the historic Crusades in four campaigns as Richard the Lionheart and Saladin, the Sultan of Syria.
  • Stronghold Crusader Extreme: Extreme adds on 20 new missions, new buildings, and larger armies of 10,000 troops.
  • Stronghold Legends: Lead as fantasy characters throughout history: King Arthur and the forces of Camelot, Siegfried and Dietrich in the German Ice Campaign, and unleash the fury of the forces of evil in Vlad Dracul’s Transylvania.
If this goes on sale. 30-50% off...total no brainer steal. I've played the hell out of all of these except Legends and they are fantastic castle sim games with enduring story campaigns, skirmish trails, etc. Stronghold 2 got lower ratings when it first came out because of bugs, but most of them have all pretty much been cleaned up with some large patches. Runs great now.

[/QUOTE]
I like the cut of your jib
This is something I've been watching to see if it'll drop as well

[quote name='TLPRIME']lol at the people complaining about the sale so far.

$.50 for PB Winterbottom
$3.75 for Super Meat Boy
$6+ for bad company 2
$10 for what might be the best game of 2010 - Mass Effect 2 - It baffles the mind how people can complain about getting ME2 for $10
$6+ for Just Cause 2 which you can sink 50 hours into easily
$10 for Darksiders - I happen to think this is a great deal for this unappreciated game
$20+ for Fallout 3 + all the dlc released for it
Not to mention all the indie packs and catalog sales.

These are just off the top of my head.

Stop acting like you're entitled to everything being 5 bucks or less. Are some of the sale items lackluster? YES. But there are plenty of great deals with tons of content and value for your dollar. I know this is cheapassgamer but it's time to grow up.

It's actually kind of disgusting that most of this complaining boils down to "ME ME ME ME I want I want I want" and it's fucking Christmas. If you find the sales lacking take the $20 you were going to spend on games and give it to Child's Play or some other deserving organization.

If anything make a separate "Let's bitch about the Steam Sale" thread so you can do it there.

/end rant[/QUOTE]

QFT...and people bitching about DRM this, DRM that. Unless you reformat your PC every week or have 6 Computers, then I don't mind the DRM issue. The UbiSoft one (have an always up Internet connection) is sketchy IMO but whatevers.

[quote name='Wolfmight']Stronghold: The original castle sim that started it all[/QUOTE]

Wait, is this the original dos version? I received Stronghold for my birthday one year when I was a kid. Would have been 92-94 range, I guess. I'd love to have that game now just for the memories.

So when you say original, do you mean that game? Or do you mistakenly think the newest "Stronghold" is the original?

[quote name='avwjase']Wait, is this the original dos version? I received Stronghold for my birthday one year when I was a kid. Would have been 92-94 range, I guess. I'd love to have that game now just for the memories.

So when you say original, do you mean that game? Or do you mistakenly think the newest "Stronghold" is the original?[/QUOTE]
It's every Stronghold game made in a collection

[quote name='avwjase']Wait, is this the original dos version? I received Stronghold for my birthday one year when I was a kid. Would have been 92-94 range, I guess. I'd love to have that game now just for the memories.

So when you say original, do you mean that game? Or do you mistakenly think the newest "Stronghold" is the original?[/QUOTE]

The first game in The Stronghold Collection was released in 2001.

For those on the fence with Death Spank and waiting for a combo back. It is important to note that the games are completely independent of each other. When you start #2 you lose all your stats, character, etc. I played through the first and enjoyed it on 360. I tried the second and would have bought it but the jokes and gameplay were just way too similar to justify the money. I decided at that point that #1 was more than enough for me.

That being said I definitely recommend #1 it just feels like #2 came too soon and too similar.

For those wondering it plays like a hybrid between classic comedy adventure and action rpg diablo style game. So combat will be like Diablo but your quest might be something like needing [Possible first 30 minute spoiler] to get a fire-colored dragon egg and instead of killing something to get it you will find regular dragon eggs and then have to find red pain to paint them. [/possible spoiler] None of the adventure elements are complicated and they add a nice twist but they aren't always 100% intuitive, especially for those who don't play adventure games.

Other than that, I played the 360 version and it definitely had issues. The controls worked well for a controller but each face button is a different weapon. I'm not sure how well that will work on PC with a mouse. The other major complaint was the inventory management was awful and there isn't a good way to compare weapons without picking them up etc. The gameplay is enough to sustain you through the first but it is very simplified and wasn't enough to make me want to go back.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Personally, I've never seen Steam discount a game at one price [during a single promotion] and then discount it again at an even lower price [during a single promotion].[/QUOTE]
Torchlight says they have.

Just finished the mass effect 2 demo in about an hour. Two things I would note:

1. I didn't realize the spy in NBC's Chuck voiced a main character, that is kind of cool if you like the show.

2. I am horrible at mouse and keyboard, but, on normal I still did ok. I would attribute this to being in cover most of the time and just peaking out to shoot. Overall, since I am just getting used to the mouse and keyboard for such games, I though I did ok, and would definitely get used to it quickly.

So, here is my question to all of you. Should I buy mass effect 1 on this sale as well? I know it has been as low as 5 dollars in the past, but it isn't right now. I want mass effect 2, and think I may just buy both for the 20 and call it good. In all reality, the amount of gameplay out of that 20 dollars would probably be well worth it.

Any opinions?

[quote name='iso135']Just finished the mass effect 2 demo in about an hour. Two things I would note:

1. I didn't realize the spy in NBC's Chuck voiced a main character, that is kind of cool if you like the show.

2. I am horrible at mouse and keyboard, but, on normal I still did ok. I would attribute this to being in cover most of the time and just peaking out to shoot. Overall, since I am just getting used to the mouse and keyboard for such games, I though I did ok, and would definitely get used to it quickly.

So, here is my question to all of you. Should I buy mass effect 1 on this sale as well? I know it has been as low as 5 dollars in the past, but it isn't right now. I want mass effect 2, and think I may just buy both for the 20 and call it good. In all reality, the amount of gameplay out of that 20 dollars would probably be well worth it.

Any opinions?[/QUOTE]

They both are well worth $10. ME1 was a lot less streamlined and a lot more rpg. It might have been because it was my first time in the universe but I enjoyed it just as much if not more than ME2. ME2 is much more streamlined and just doesn't feel as big but every bit of it is extremely polished. It's as if they cut out all the fat but I enjoyed some of it even though I didn't care for a lot of it as well.

[quote name='iso135']Just finished the mass effect 2 demo in about an hour. Two things I would note:

Any opinions?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Definitely. Especially since you can carry your decisions to ME2. Also, ME1 is less of a shooter.

Thanks to both of you. I was just looking for a couple more prods in the right direction. I have been interested in the games for a while, and for 20 bucks for both I might as well try them now.

I'll be ordering both tomorrow morning. This Holiday break is going to include one heck of a lot of gaming.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']I just checked my account and noticed that I bought Mass Effect for only $4.99 last year on Jan 1. I wonder if they will sell ME2 even cheaper come New Years.

Do I take that risk? My gut is telling me, no...[/QUOTE]

No significance to that particular date -- it just happened that ME1 was one of the daily deals during the last Holiday sale for $5.

[quote name='scarhawk']Torchlight says they have.[/QUOTE]
Wrong. Torchlight was on sale for $10 as a weekend deal the week before the Holiday deal and then discounted to $5 during the holiday sale.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Personally, I've never seen Steam discount a game at one price [during a single promotion] and then discount it again at an even lower price [during a single promotion].

So, Mass Effect 2 will not get cheaper during this sale.[/QUOTE]

Darksiders just got a penny cheaper from $10 -> $9.99 :D

[quote name='kaply']Darksiders just got a penny cheaper from $10 -> $9.99 :D[/QUOTE]
HAH! Proof that it can happen. We shoud all buy this now as support of price drops :)

[quote name='ZeroFactorial']Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood, $1.25
http://store.steampowered.com/app/36000
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/foreign-legion-buckets-of-blood

Picking this up - according to user comments on metacritic, they've improved the game a lot since release. Looks like a win for the price.

Also, for anime-style animation fans, here's an intriguing looking game,

Blade Kitten:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/9940/

Anyone ever played it and can give feedback?[/QUOTE]

Played the demo of blade kitten. It's ok but it seemed a bit repetitive. I wouldnt pay more than a few bucks for it.

Played the demo of blade kitten. It's ok but it seemed a bit repetitive. I wouldnt pay more than a few bucks for it.
On that note, I just noticed that Amazon has it for digital download for only $2.50, as opposed to the $5 on steam if anyone was interested in it.

[quote name='mistymayem']Is anybody's download speeds crawling? I've been downloading TF2 onto my new laptop for hours.[/QUOTE]

It was slow when I was downloading Bad Company 2 a few days ago, but I am half way through Arkham Asylum's download and it has only been one hour.

[quote name='mistymayem']Is anybody's download speeds crawling? I've been downloading TF2 onto my new laptop for hours.[/QUOTE]

just downloaded Star Trek D-A-C without any probs at the usual speed. Maybe it depends on what game you're getting or servers in your part of the country?? I'm in Kansas City, MO. not too much going on here network wise I'm sure.

Debating whether Darksiders would be better on PC or PS3... It's only 5 bucks more to get on ps3 via amazon.

Anyone have any experience/feedback on this?

[quote name='crystalklear64']when is it ever better to get a game on something other than your pc assuming your pc can run it? why would you want to pay 5$ more for less?[/QUOTE]

My friends and family play Xbox 360 so that would be my first choice for a multiplayer shooter. Plus there are other reasons.

Download speeds have been slow since the sale started, and Team Fortress 2 is kinda beefy. Sadly the only thing you can do is try changing your download region in the settings or just tough it out til its finished.

[quote name='ZeroFactorial']Debating whether Darksiders would be better on PC or PS3... It's only 5 bucks more to get on ps3 via amazon.

Anyone have any experience/feedback on this?[/QUOTE]

I have it for PS3 and love it on that system. It's well mapped to a console controller. I honestly can't imagine how it would play with a keyboard and mouse.

I would say either is a good choice as long as you're playing with a controller. $10 is a hell of a deal, as is $15 for this game.

thinking about that two PS3 or PC version
I have the PS3 Dualshock3 plugged into my PC for use
Lara Croft GoL has been a blast using the PS3 controller

Played the demo for Risen. It's interesting, but I don't think I'll be paying $15 for it.

Nothing for me today!

Should I buy Plants vs Zombies GOTY at $6.99 or will it go lower?

Also, does it matter which system I buy Darksiders for? Is any version bad? Not sure if want.

[quote name='crystalklear64']when is it ever better to get a game on something other than your pc assuming your pc can run it? why would you want to pay 5$ more for less?[/QUOTE]

Because your console has a bigger monitor, is in front of the couch, and it's a heck of a lot more comfortable to play? Why would you want to play a game on your PC if you had the choice?

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Should I buy Plants vs Zombies GOTY at $6.99 or will it go lower?[/QUOTE]
Wait it might be a daily deal.

I'm extremely tempted to buy ME2, and also Deathspank..
(I've only bought the Witcher and Puzzle Quest from Steam's Holiday Sale.. so I think I'm doing well :p )

The PC version of most games these days are better as long as you have a system that can handle it. I picked up the Steam version today and can flip back between the console and PC version on my monitor... the PC version looks tons better. There aren't even any graphical options in darksiders, just resolution and V-sync, but playing at true 1920x1080 at 60fps is worth getting it for the PC.

[quote name='rcx4']I'm extremely tempted to buy ME2, and also Deathspank..
(I've only bought the Witcher and Puzzle Quest from Steam's Holiday Sale.. so I think I'm doing well :p )[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Last year I bought $30 worth of games I played four of for a total of about an hour or two. This time around I got PQ and Winterbottom. I figure $2 is progress.

[quote name='ZeroFactorial']Blade Kitten:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/9940/

Anyone ever played it and can give feedback?[/QUOTE]Oh sod yes, Blade Kitten's half-price! One more game for me to buy on the last day of the sale!

To answer your question; the story is simple, the acting is so-so, and the level designs and combat are repetitive.
On the flip-side, the platforming is fairly good and the visual style is pleasing.
This isn't a game that will leave you in awe after playing; it's more like a fun little distraction that you'll forget about after playing.

I'd pick it up if you're a fan of the original webcomic, otherwise I wouldn't drop more than 3.50 on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back