Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I'm thinking about X3: Reunion. How much better is Terran Conflict?[/QUOTE]

Hate to quote myself but the question remains

So which is the better deal overall. the X3: Gold pack or the Superbox. Cause I can't really see the point in getting the same game five times over unless there is enough differences in them.

I think that The Sims 3 and Neverwinter Nights 2 might actually be launching on Steam soon.

[quote name='cmackchase']So which is the better deal overall. the X3: Gold pack or the Superbox. Cause I can't really see the point in getting the same game five times over unless there is enough differences in them.[/QUOTE]
The Superbox is kind of meant for fans of the series, I think. They're all great games, but if you're not a big fan of the genre, just X3 is probably plenty for you.

[quote name='enforcer2003']Any opinions on Shank? Looks like a mix of Final Fight and Metal Slug based on the screenshots... which would be awesome if it played as well.[/QUOTE]

It's nowhere remotely as good as either of those. It's a pretty good game, with a unique presentation, just not something you'll probably be able to look back on and still play as fondly in 15 years, as we look back on Metal Slug and Final Fight, now.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Hate to quote myself but the question remains[/QUOTE]

X3 Terran Conflict is everything X3 is and more and more polished. You can get away with just getting TC.

I finally bit on Tropico 3 Gold for $6. It was $7.50 during the Black Friday sale and I took a gamble and it paid off. Sure it's only a $1.50 but even a $1.50 looks better in my wallet than not. :)

[quote name='pROvIs']Has anyone who is bought splinter cell went back in to see the pack is at the discounted price?[/QUOTE]

Dunno about that, but what I can tell you is that I purchased Chaos Theory and Double Agent at the same time and Chaos Theory was marked at 60% off (as was Double Agent in the cart, but when I went to pay it was back to 50%)

All right, CAG's, I have a question: Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Is it any good?

I myself was never a huge fan of the Splinter Cell's, but I've sampled the first three. I've been interested in Double Agent since it is said to be a "reinvention" of the series. I wouldn't mind a more "action over stealth"-type game.

For those that have played it, is it fun and generally worthwhile?

[quote name='EliotAndrews']All right, CAG's, I have a question: Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Is it any good?

I myself was never a huge fan of the Splinter Cell's, but I've sampled the first three. I've been interested in Double Agent since it is said to be a "reinvention" of the series. I wouldn't mind a more "action over stealth"-type game.

For those that have played it, is it fun and generally worthwhile?[/QUOTE]

From everything I've read and heard from people, it is down right terrible and not worth shit.

today was a decent day for me since the mother-in-law said "i didn't know what to get you, pick something out online and I'll pay ya back"

grabbed Batman, Flatout series, Red Faction 1, and Red Faction 2...not bad for about 16 bucks

[quote name='EliotAndrews']All right, CAG's, I have a question: Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Is it any good?

For those that have played it, is it fun and generally worthwhile?[/QUOTE]
Do you mean double agent or conviction. Conviction was the most recent and more action based. It was alot of fun and worth the price but it's not really a splinter cell game.

For those considering Civ5 - A couple things to note. I bought the game on launch at full price. Haven't played it in over a month. Why:

1. Multiplayer is nonexistant. It loads, it plays, but it just sucks. No animations, and no alerts informing of things like barbarian attacks or enemies on the border make the game insanely more complicated than necessary.

2. Poor quality. There have been two major patches released so far. That said, I'm still not considering playing it. I'm waiting until "everything" is fixed. Many people are still reporting crashes and massive slowdowns, even on high-end computers.

3. Seemingly greedy publisher. $3 per civ as DLC seems a little exhorbitant. And the DLC is coming out before/at the same time as patches. I understand that they need to continue making money, but fix the game first.

It's a great game, has great potential, but needs more polish. If I had the chance to buy this as a gift for a friend, I'd probably pass it up in favor of Civ IV Complete. Wait a year and I'm sure V will be all it's supposed to be.

Compared to the past iterations, Civ 5 just smacks of shameless cash grab. I'll wait a year or so when they bundle everything together for a reasonable price.

[quote name='Zeldafanatic15']Awesome! I was actually looking at Secret of Monkey Island the other day, wanting to get it. Glad I waited. Great deal. Only thing for me today though.[/QUOTE]

Same for me.

I want Shank but I'm holding off for the same reason I passed on Deathspank, $5 is my pricepoint for them.

[quote name='Mooby']Compared to the past iterations, Civ 5 just smacks of shameless cash grab. I'll wait a year or so when they bundle everything together for a reasonable price.[/QUOTE]

I preordered civ v deluxe and as a fan of the series love it. To each his own. I really miss religion though. Each of the civs take some time to get all the features of their predecessors because they are reinventions. Usually they find their stride around the first expansion. For me I have loved my time with it and wish I had more time to play. I would pay full price again.

[quote name='pROvIs']Do you mean double agent or conviction. Conviction was the most recent and more action based. It was alot of fun and worth the price but it's not really a splinter cell game.[/QUOTE]
Dude, are you implying that I don't know my video games? Fightin' words.

In all seriousness, I'm taking the cheaper route, since I sampled Conviction on a friend's 360, and felt it was better to wait for a lower price. (While we're on the subject, I think anything above $2.50 for the older three Splinter Cell's is gouging.)

I heard that Double Agent has a lot of bugs, but it's possible patches may have been released to fix the bigger problems. The main thing that I want is a fun stealth (or "stealth-ish") game.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Dude, are you implying that I don't know my video games? Fightin' words.

In all seriousness, I'm taking the cheaper route, since I sampled Conviction on a friend's 360, and felt it was better to wait for a lower price. (While we're on the subject, I think anything above $2.50 for the older three Splinter Cell's is gouging.)

I heard that Double Agent has a lot of bugs, but it's possible patches may have been released to fix the bigger problems. The main thing that I want is a fun stealth (or "stealth-ish") game.[/QUOTE]

I never played double agent. I always wanted to but never did. Don't know much about it, so maybe they reinvented it twice?

[quote name='pROvIs']I never played double agent. I always wanted to but never did. Don't know much about it, so maybe they reinvented it twice?[/QUOTE]
You should play Chaos Theory - easily the best game in the series. Almost-perfect mix of everything you'd want in a Splinter Cell game.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I think that The Sims 3 and Neverwinter Nights 2 might actually be launching on Steam soon.[/QUOTE]
NWN2 on Steam would be great!

[quote name='Khamous']
C'moon Oblivion GOTY![/QUOTE]
I agree. I'd be psyched to see it below $10 (more than the 50% off that seems to be a common amount)

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']do you guys think tropico 3 and civilization 4 are good for that price?[/QUOTE]

Civ IV or Civ V? Civ IV is a fantastic deal for what it is - but it's not the daily deal. (I was hoping it'd drop a bit more - still holding out hope, although I don't think it's likely at all at this point.)

Civ V is still a bit overpriced, I think, considering that it's still not quite a complete game. But then, some people still love it, so it might be worth it for you - there is a demo, so you can try that out if you want.

[quote name='Psybuster']It's generally due to how many repeats there are across these big sales.[/QUOTE]

I have no problem at all with repeats. Repeats mean more people get a game which only makes multiplayer better in the long run.

It also should mean that I don't need to get everything at once so my backlog shouldn't get too out of control. That hasn't really worked out though. I have hundreds of hours of gameplay ahead of me but having so much choice in what to play for the equivalent cost of a handful of full-price games is just awesome.

With the sheer number of crazy discounts Steam has, of course there's bound to be plenty of games going on sale that you already have but unless you paid x for it one day and it's a lot less than x a short time later, there's really nothing to complain about. Even then it's already been down to a price you were willing to accept. I can understand regretting a purchase when there's a cheaper sale before it gets played but that doesn't make a sale"meh" or crap.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Dude, are you implying that I don't know my video games? Fightin' words.[/QUOTE]

It is just that it was Conviction and not necessarily Double Agent was a reinvention of the series. I didn't play much of Double Agent, but I am pretty sure it wasn't too far off from Chaos Theory

Anyone who's buying the Splinter Cell Conviction Deluxe Edition $17.99, you can save even more money and get three additional Splinter Cell games for only 40 cents more! Get the Splinter Cell Echelon pack:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4158

The pack is listed to be $5 more than Conviction is yet you'll get three more of the Splinter Cell games.

On TOP of that, although the pack lists as $22.99 on that page, once you add it to your cart, it actually lists for $18.39. I think this is related to that extra 10% discount you get for "already owning" another Splinter Cell game.

Not sure if it's a bug on their end, but basically, if you're like me and are just getting into Splinter Cell, the Echelon pack is THE pack to get. Hurry!

[quote name='Keirnoth']
On TOP of that, although the pack lists as $22.99 on that page, once you add it to your cart, it actually lists for $18.39. I think this is related to that extra 10% discount you get for "already owning" another Splinter Cell game.[/QUOTE]
Read a couple pages back. It doesn't apply when you actually check out provided you don't already own Chaos Theory.

so...where is pandora tomorrow when it comes to the splinter cell games? that one was my favorite of the xbox 1 era games

would have gladly bought it alone for 2.50~4.99ish

[quote name='Lord_Zath']For those considering Civ5 - A couple things to note. I bought the game on launch at full price. Haven't played it in over a month. Why:

1. Multiplayer is nonexistant. It loads, it plays, but it just sucks. No animations, and no alerts informing of things like barbarian attacks or enemies on the border make the game insanely more complicated than necessary.

2. Poor quality. There have been two major patches released so far. That said, I'm still not considering playing it. I'm waiting until "everything" is fixed. Many people are still reporting crashes and massive slowdowns, even on high-end computers.

3. Seemingly greedy publisher. $3 per civ as DLC seems a little exhorbitant. And the DLC is coming out before/at the same time as patches. I understand that they need to continue making money, but fix the game first.

It's a great game, has great potential, but needs more polish. If I had the chance to buy this as a gift for a friend, I'd probably pass it up in favor of Civ IV Complete. Wait a year and I'm sure V will be all it's supposed to be.[/QUOTE]

Just because Civ 5 is not your Civ 4 clone, doesn't mean it suck.

Newcomer of the Civ series, Civ 5 is most accessible and enjoyable entry the Civ series has ever had. The Civ4 Complete Pack is nothing compared to Civ5 in term of accessibility, gameplay and fun.

Sure the price could have been cheaper but it is a very polished game compared to Civ4

1. Multiplayer on Civ4 is shitty and non-existence.. so why are you even compare Civ4 to Civ5?!?

2. The patches indicated that developers are listening well to the community. They spent lots of time revising the game and it shown in their patch log. Would you rather that they took your money and ran away?

3. If you dont like DLC, don't buy it. I know I don't

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']well what about civilization 4 complete for $6? Im also thinking about dragon age origins vanilla[/QUOTE]
Civ4 is a great deal with loads of content for $6. If you're thinking about vanilla Dragon Age, seriously consider the Ultimate edition because it also comes with loads of content for only $10 more.

I'm going to pass on Double Agent; The game doesn't sound like a good time.

That being said, how's Tropico 3? I've been interested for a while, and $4.50 is a fine price. Is it a fun, rewarding diversion, or is it a poorly made SimCity clone?

I'd really love to pick up Shank, but I'm gonna hold off for it to be cheap on Xbox Live.

Altitude looks like it could be fun, but I did pick up a lot already.

Gonna pick up Monkey Island since I've never played any of them (and yes I know I should have already).

Well, bit on Tropico 3 and Altitude. I really hope this is my last purchase. I can't think of any other game I actually want that they could put on sale. Then again, I didn't even know about most of the games I've bought before the sale :???:

How do people like the original Splinter Cell?

I know Chaos Theory is great, but I won't be buying any of them this time around (not about price or anything, it's just a bit lower on my "would like" list). Just curious.

[quote name='Mooby']$6 for Civ 4 complete is a great deal. If I hadn't already played it to death I would get it.[/QUOTE]
I'm waiting for a potential daily deal but I'll definitely grab it either way. Pirates as well.

[quote name='oscargrouch']I'd really love to pick up Shank, but I'm gonna hold off for it to be cheap on Xbox Live.

Altitude looks like it could be fun, but I did pick up a lot already.

Gonna pick up Monkey Island since I've never played any of them (and yes I know I should have already).[/QUOTE]

I believe Shank went on sale for XBLA for $10 a month or so ago and that's when I picked it up. Most 1200 MSP games go on sale for 800 MSP ($10) or in rare cases like Castle Crashers for 600 MSP. It's a fun game but like others have said it's extremely short. Who knows when it will go on sale again there. Steam is probably your best case if you want it under $10. Yet if you've already spent enough then I agree that waiting on it won't hurt.

Monkey Island is a great choice!

Got Flatout: UC, but doesn't work on Steam for Windows 7 64-bit (for me too at least) like someone mentioned. I'm currently torrenting, so I'll see what happens.

EDIT: For those interested, I can confirm that it does work with the torrented version. I wish I didn't have to resort to this method since it's a bit more work, but it works great. The key activated fine and I was playing online.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wilflare']anyone's take on Batman?
it is a MUST-get?[/QUOTE]

Probably was a must get even at the initial price point. Now GOTY and 7.50, well, yes, get it.

Tempted to get Tropico 3, but I'm not sure if i should hold out for a game I want a bit more (ie Oblivion). Anyone have any experiences or thoughts on Tropico 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back