Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ribkage']Why the hell does steam keep declining my card now? I got more than enough money in there, my wife and I are very good with our bills.[/QUOTE]

I've had two problems.

1) Too much activity on my card, CC company flagged it.
2) Bought too many gifts, Steam wouldn't allow me to purchase anymore gifts.

So i'm thinkinh hard about Neverwinter Nights and Killing Floor. Never played Neverwinter nights 1, but im of fan of fantasy rpg's. (DA:O, Oblivion, EQ2) so I thinki I might be into into it. Any ideas on it?

For Killing Floor, I just like killing zombies lol But i've already got Call of Duty and L4D for that. Does KF bring anything new to the table?

[quote name='sp8001']Might get Killing Floor pack. Any thoughts on it?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dudejeff22']Thinking hard on Killing Floor, but it looks more than a little similar to L4D2... anyone played? Is there any reason to own both? I loved L4D but I haven't had the chance to boot up L4D2 yet.[/QUOTE]

Killing Floor is absolutely excellent. The community is large and the developers have constantly given away content for free. As CoffeeEdge said, the feel of the guns are great and it's just a ton of fun. Plus there's a Christmas theme update in effect until January 4 just for laughs.

Serious Sam HD Gold is also a steal at this price. Old school run and gun with INSANE numbers of enemies onscreen and a terrific sense of humour. Lots of puzzle-rooms and some really creative setpieces to mix things up.

Is Victoria at $3 a daily deal or an every day deal? I see Victoria 2 is a daily deal but was not sure if the first was marked down as a result or if tomorrow it will still be $3. Anyone have impressions on either of these games?

And does anyone have impressions on Power of Defense?

Im gonna say that Killing Floor is a much better zombie survival game than left for dead. I have pumped so many hours into the game, it has a active community making maps, its challenging, if you dont work together you wont beat it on normal. It scratches the upgrade itch by providing different classes that you upgrade by doing what they do (medics heal, sharpshooters get head shots). And until jan 6 you can kill santa, elves, gingerbread men, nut crackers...........STOP READING THIS AND BUY THE GAME ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd jump all over NWN2. Great deal @ $9.99. I have the discs and may pick it up to have on steam. Anyone know if there's a way to register your CD versions of the game there? Tried CD key and no go - meh.

[quote name='Wolfmight']
I'm tempted by this "Mirror's Edge." Anyone play it? [/QUOTE]

Played and beat it on the 360, really great game. Story is just ok, but the gameplay is phenomenal, can't wait for the sequel.

Anyone play Serious Sam HD? It looks like it might be good, especially for $3.99, but I've never tried it or any of the Serious Sam games.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It's very much a "modern RPG." It laid the foundation for Mass Effect. Also, it's better than Mass Effect.

Not to be missed, for $2.49.[/QUOTE]

Mostly in agreement with this. I wouldn't say it is better than mass effect personally, but after two hours of playing mass effect the other day I couldn't help but see how close it reminded me of KOTOR. I loved KOTOR for xbox, and wouldn't hesitate at $2.49.

Today's sale seems to be a decent sale. But the prices are all set at a level for gently "encourage" people already wanted/waited for those games to bite. Nothing at the level pushing people to "jump" so to speak.

NWN2 deal is nice, but only for those who valued the dlcs. Mirror Edge is at a right price point for people on the fence. Lost Planet 2, based on the reviews, may not worth the current sale price. HAWX2 I am pretty sure destined to be in bargain bin on Day 1. SF4 is nice if we don't know that there is a SUPERior version on consoles.

I recommend KOTOR. $2.50 for an all time sci-fi RPG classics (look at all those rave reviews!) is a no-brainer.

Finally decided to just go for it on Super Meat Boy and Mass Effect at the very last minute. lol.
Then I bought Mirrors Edge the minute after when the sales banner changed. :D

Still only spent less than $25 so far. Thinking of getting P.B. Winterbottom for all my friends. :D

[quote name='Wolfmight']

I'm tempted by this "Mirror's Edge." Anyone play it?

[/QUOTE]

Mirror's Edge is a first person platformer type game. I enjoyed it although it gets a bit frustrating sometimes. I used a K+M and the controls were very responsive. What I really enjoyed was the sense of scale. The city you're running around in really feels massive and very immersive. Not much replay unless you do the time trials but $5 is a good price for it IMO. I finished it in about 6-7 hours.

[quote name='Wolfmight']Fairly acceptable graphics compared to modern RPGs, HOWEVER - fantastic gameplay. I beat it awhile back and $2.49 is a fantastic steal deal for the game. Very open ended sandbox style game worlds that don't limit your exploration. Lots of side quests. Great mini-games and puzzles as well.

NOTE: The game does have a problem with running on Windows Vista and Windows 7. You have to disable movies for it to start-up, else it'll crash to the desktop when you try to start it up. Bunch of crap, and Bioware won't take the time to apply a little fix here. Some people have released some custom fixes to repair it, but they had to ultilize No-CD patches and other people debate if Steam would have a problem with them or not (most likely not).
Windows XP plays it best.

Machinarium can be obtained waaaaaaay cheaper at this very moment from the "Humble Bundle #2" pack. See: Google Search lol

Street Fighter IV is much better with a console controller or that Street Fighter IV arcade pad. I've played it both on pc and console and the controller is much easier. Get Super Street Fighter IV instead. Way better.

Heard good stuff about Serious Sam HD. Gonna read into it.[/QUOTE]

Mirror's Edge is a really great game, its a unique platformer and very atmospheric.. Until towards the end, then it turns into the worlds shittiest FPS. But before then its pretty good. :)

I'd pay $4 for it.

[quote name='Ribkage']Why the hell does steam keep declining my card now? I got more than enough money in there, my wife and I are very good with our bills.[/QUOTE]

Call you credit card company up. If you are making $5 and lower purchases they might have flagged it.

You guys have been so helpful in aiding me through a couple of my purchases... thank you for that :D

Now i still need adivice on this:

Killing Floor... Can I run it? 6.99 bundle :D

PC stats:

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 830 Processor
CPU Speed: 2.80 GHz Performance
RAM: 5.7 GB
ATI Radeon 3000 intergrated Graphics
Video RAM: 2.9 GB
Pixel Shader version: 4.0
Vertex Shader version : 4.0
Free Disk Space: 600.4 GB

Thanks in advance I really appreciate it

[quote name='Wolfmight']Fairly acceptable graphics compared to modern RPGs, HOWEVER - fantastic gameplay. I beat it awhile back and $2.49 is a fantastic steal deal for the game. Very open ended sandbox style game worlds that don't limit your exploration. Lots of side quests. Great mini-games and puzzles as well.

NOTE: The game does have a problem with running on Windows Vista and Windows 7. You have to disable movies for it to start-up, else it'll crash to the desktop when you try to start it up. Bunch of crap, and Bioware won't take the time to apply a little fix here. Some people have released some custom fixes to repair it, but they had to ultilize No-CD patches and other people debate if Steam would have a problem with them or not (most likely not).
Windows XP plays it best.

Machinarium can be obtained waaaaaaay cheaper at this very moment from the "Humble Bundle #2" pack. See: Google Search lol

Street Fighter IV is much better with a console controller or that Street Fighter IV arcade pad. I've played it both on pc and console and the controller is much easier. Get Super Street Fighter IV instead. Way better.

Heard good stuff about Serious Sam HD. Gonna read into it.[/QUOTE]

This is going to be a bit biased, but Mirror's Edge is one of my top ten games of all time. The combat is pretty stiff, but the level design and atmosphere is unrivaled, the feeling of actually running across buildings and being persued by the police is pretty intense, and it's just an all around beautiful game. The story is a little dry, but, for $5, I would recommend it to anybody.

[quote name='Dohboy563']You guys have been so helpful in aiding me through a couple of my purchases... thank you for that :D

PC stats:

Thanks in advance I really appreciate it[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that should be fine

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Can anyone sell me on Serious Sam? I'm tempted as an FPS fan, but it looks somewhat generic.[/QUOTE]

16 player co-op.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Can anyone sell me on Serious Sam? I'm tempted as an FPS fan, but it looks somewhat generic.[/QUOTE]

I strongly recommend against Serious Sam. I bought it a while back when it was $10 in a weekend deal, playing through the first one was a chore and I never ended up playing through the second one. It has some of the most bland environments I've ever seen and after the first couple of big fights the battles start to become incredibly tedious and boring.

[quote name='spdronin']NOOOOOO.... missed my chance at The Witcher. Again. :cry:

What's the chances of that going on sale again?[/QUOTE]

Being as it went on sale twice now in the last week... not good. sorry

[quote name='The Nephilim']Is Mirror's edge good? Most people seem to say it gets ruined by all the guard fighting etc since it takes away from the fun of the running and platforming.[/QUOTE]

Great game. It was a ton of fun playing through it and never firing a gun.

Looks like it's just 2 copies of serious sam for me. I want LP2 and Hawx 2 but the prices are too high. The console versions of those games have been on sale as cheap as $8 and $20, and the PC version keys can be had much cheaper on ebay than the $20 and $33 steam is asking.

For anyone interested in Serious Sam, the Gold pack isn't the best deal. You can get the HD double pack for $3 instead of $4 and save a dollar in exchange for the older games you won't play. You can also buy the HD games individually.

[quote name='helmet']I've had two problems.

1) Too much activity on my card, CC company flagged it.
2) Bought too many gifts, Steam wouldn't allow me to purchase anymore gifts.[/QUOTE]

My Amex card was flagged too. On Xmas Eve had Amex Security call me within 30 seconds from an attempted purchase. Explained that these were legit charges.

My card has had over 18 transactions on it over the past week from Steam thanks to all of the recommendations on this thread. ;)

Sometimes I go back after I think I am done for the day and buy something else because someone said it is worth it. So much for being a Cheap Ass Gamer...spent over $350 this week and I will be busy with these titles until next years sale. :cool:

L8tr...

I've never played any of the Neverwinter Nights games. Can anyone give me some advice or reasons to pick this one up? It looks interesting and I do enjoy RPGs.

[quote name='Dohboy563']You guys have been so helpful in aiding me through a couple of my purchases... thank you for that :D

PC stats:

Thanks in advance I really appreciate it[/QUOTE]

Ok Kuma said it should work fine (thanks for the reply btw)

Anyone have another opinion?

[quote name='Schizophriend']OOoh. Serious Sam pack includes both first and second encounter for $4. Damn. Might as well for that price. Can't see them getting much cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Amazing Deal. I picked up both I think for about 8 dollars during the summer sale....very good for that price.

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but is Valve censoring bad Metacritic scores from some publishers or for some AAA games? For most games on Steam that have a Metacritic page, Steam lists the Metacritic score right on the store page. For some they don't. Example: Lost Planet 2 (which is a deal today) has a score of 64 (i.e. really bad) and it's not listed on the Steam page. That's a AAA game by a well-known publisher. Machinarium, which gets an 85, has it's score listed. It's a small indie game that was added to the store within 24 hours of Lost Planet 2. Why not list the Metacritic score for LP2?

It's a balls to the wall old school type FPS with a fun sense of humor. If you like shooters where you have lots of weapons, 100s of enemies on screen and giant boss battles then go for it. The same type of fun also works against it because it's the same thing over and over again. Wave after wave of killing stuff. I actually preferred Serious Sam 2 over either of the episodes.

Got Killing Floor. Price was hard to pass up on. Glad I missed it the other day, because I got it even cheaper this time around.

[quote name='Dohboy563']Ok Kuma said it should work fine (thanks for the reply btw)

Anyone have another opinion?[/QUOTE]

Kuma is right, the required specs for the game are very low (1.2ghz cpu and 512mb ram and 64mb graphics card). You will have no problems playing Killing Floor.

[quote name='jazyje']Can anyone comment on Killing FLoor's DLCs? Worthwhile to get?[/QUOTE]

They're just character skins. Get them to support the devs.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']For anyone interested in Serious Sam, the Gold pack isn't the best deal. You can get the HD double pack for $3 instead of $4 and save a dollar in exchange for the older games you won't play. You can also buy the HD games individually.[/QUOTE]
Dude, you get some major CAG points there. I was hesitating because I didn't want those extra games, and I'll gladly forfeit them for an extra $1 in my pocket.

You have my gratitude, Mr. Dopplega.

I'm glad i waited on KOTOR! Just bought it for $2.50, this is one of my favorite games of all time. I would say Mass Effect is better but it does have the benefit of being a spiritual sequel to KOTOR. Everyone should own KOTOR.

It plays a lot like Doom 1 and 2, only with more emphasis on shooting and killing large hordes of enemies.

Went ahead and picked up Serious Sam for myself and a few buddies. Should be pretty fun with four people. Glad I didnt bite on SS during the Summer sale when it was like $7.50 I believe.

[quote name='kaply']I'm one of those people that think fondly of old style graphics. So while I say that, I only think fondly of it, but can't really stomach playing them. The graphics are extremely dated, and it felt more like playing a visual novel at points. You would get to some parts, then start reading text, make a choice, read more text, walk around, computer auto plays your character for you in combat, read more text. So, yeah, the story is good, but the graphics are dated. The reason I got this was because I remember how the glowing reviews for this game when it came out.

For Killing Floor, the idea of persistent upgrades appeal to me but the screenshots make it seem like there's only 2 types of enemies I'm going to be fighting against.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the graphics are dated since it was a last gen game. There are parts like that but, I feel the choices and the story as a whole makes it a game well worth playing. Same thing with Deus Ex, System Shock 2, etc.

If you like pure action FPS without spending 90 percent of the game behind cover serious sam is for you. IMO its the best pure FPS since doom. You will fight dozens, if not hundreds of enemies at once. The game is just great in every way. I cannot see how these games are not worth 4 dollars for the package. Oh yeah, and coop. Youd be a fool not to buy it!

Well, I guess I should put in more info for myself. I dont really play many team up FPS, and if I do, I don't use a mic at all. Would Killing Floor still be good for me or would I be giving everyone a hassle? lol

KoToR is a steal! It's true that the presentation is a bit dated, but it's worth it for the story alone. I didn't really play the game until this year since my original rig about 7 years ago was already too old to run it then (sad, huh?). Anyway, I thought the combat was still fun and the aesthetics of everything was still great. I had to get my head around the way Sith were portrayed but that just makes the game one of the best "what ifs" in the Star Wars universe (as in what if Episodes I-III went in this direction).

Again, if you don't care about owning the original (circa 2000ish) versions then you can just get the Sam double-pack that has both HD versions for a dollar less.

[quote name='slofton']Well, I guess I should put in more info for myself. I dont really play many team up FPS, and if I do, I don't use a mic at all. Would Killing Floor still be good for me or would I be giving everyone a hassle? lol[/QUOTE]

You can solo the game to get used to the mechanics, etc. I don't use a mic either. Hell, I played a game with a bunch of dudes on their mics speaking spanish and finished a long wave with them no problem. The game depends on teamwork and sticking together. You'll get the hang of it withing a few games played. Some people have had crap experiences but in my 50+ hours of gameplay I've yet to run into any dickheads.

I'd spend that bit extra for the original versions of Serious Sam if you have any inclination to play on a lower spec machine. (love having them on my laptop/netbook)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back