Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
I HIGHLY recommend Killing Floor.... I picked it up earlier this month and it's been getting alot of playtime... I love the Mountain Overpass Map

I actually prefer it to L4D 1/2.

It's much better to pick up and play IMO... I like that it's round based, much easier to play in quick spurts rather than long campaigns.

I also much prefer the gunplay and variety of weapons. People nit pick the graphics, honestly I think the game looks great, especially maxed out.

for those intersted in mirrors edge you can get it for free. Posting from cell phone so cant link but there isa thread on cag about recycle bank that can be use that to get it for free off of ea store. it takes about 5 min to earn the credit for the game

To add my experience on Killing Floor to the mix... I've played about 40ish hours and, yes, the community is a lot better than most online games. Certainly miles better than L4D. Lack of mic isn't really an issue as there are verbal command keys in the game and most people I've played with just use those or type. The gun play is much better than L4D (or any other Source engine game for that matter), although the graphics are a bit dated. Still, it's a pretty entertaining survival game but it can get somewhat repetitive.

I'm a little bit fuzzy on the details, but didn't some people have problems playing SW: KOTOR? Problems with Windows 7, or maybe 64 bit systems. I know that I've held off on picking it up in the past when it's hit $2.50 because of something like that.

Does that sound familiar to anybody?

NWN2 and Machinarium are tempting, but weren't those cheaper before?

As for KOTOR Win64-bit issues, yes but there's a workaround.

NWN2 was released today on Steam so no it has never been cheaper.

As for Machinarium; it's part of the Humble Indie Bundle #2 which is/was pay-what-you-want and redeemable on Steam. (but apparently that's over now)

[quote name='gunm']NWN2 and Machinarium are tempting, but weren't those cheaper before?

[/QUOTE]

NWN2 just got released today on Steam. My dilemma is will the price drop or will it become like Vampires The Masquerade and got on sale like once.
Being an Atari game it could go on sale again but it's definitely worth ten bucks easily!

Machinarium was either this price or more on Thanksgiving. It is in Humble Indie Bundle 2 but, I don't think that is being offered anymore.

To people recommending saving a dollar by not getting the classic editions of the Serious Sam games: there are some really great mods for the classic editions, that aren't available for the remakes. Also, they're great for old machines. I really think it's worth the extra buck, but that's just me.

[quote name='jazyje']Can anyone comment on Killing FLoor's DLCs? Worthwhile to get?[/QUOTE]

They're just skins that don't affect gameplay whatsoever. The developers have a policy of never charging for any add-ons that actually affect gameplay. All actual updates to the game are free, and and paid DLC is meant as a bonus for dedicated fans, who want a way to show extra financial support to the developer, to help keep the free game updates coming for everybody.

[quote name='spdronin']NOOOOOO.... missed my chance at The Witcher. Again. :cry:

What's the chances of that going on sale again?[/QUOTE]
An encore of an encore? I'd be shocked.

[quote name='JMR77']Im thinking about neverwinter nights 2 can i play 2 players if I buy 2 copies?[/QUOTE]
Huh?

[quote name='Woot1337']Kuma is right, the required specs for the game are very low (1.2ghz cpu and 512mb ram and 64mb graphics card). You will have no problems playing Killing Floor.[/QUOTE]

Allright thanks guys :D

Finally bit on Kotor. I had borrowed it when it was new on Xbox, but lost interest pretty early.
Did the same thing with Mass Effect 1 but marathoned that when I played it on PC. I think I just need to play these RPGs with a mouse and keyboard.

Machinarium was in the Humble Indie Bundle #2, but that expired a day or two ago. I got it there along with everything else for $10.

I can't believe people are hemming at hawing at KOTOR for $2.50 because the graphics may be "dated." It's not like it's Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II from 1998 where the characters had like 20 polys for their heads. The story and gameplay are terrific, the writing is sharp, it's got a couple of wicked plot twists, and IIRC it took me like 30 hours to complete a run-thru. Is a dime an hour too much to pay for quality entertainment? Then go pay $60 for some game with a five-hour-long campaign and begone from CAG.

The only thing that sucks about KOTOR after Mass Effect is the dialog system, but it's the same as Dragon Age Origins (i.e. read options, select response, no spoken dialog from your character), and I never hear complaints about that.

I beat Mirror's Edge on the X360 and had mixed feelings about it. When you got into the flow of running quickly, it was great, but there were too many unforgiving leaps which looked makable, but weren't. Some checkpoints were waaaaay too far apart making repetition a chore. Combat was a mess and for all the effort they made to make Faith into a videogame icon babe, you rarely get to see her other than the opening and closing scenes. Using eSurance ad style 2D animation was a mistake; you should've had some mirrors here and there to be able to check yourself out in, you know?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']To people recommending saving a dollar by not getting the classic editions of the Serious Sam games: there are some really great mods for the classic editions, that aren't available for the remakes. Also, they're great for old machines. I really think it's worth the extra buck, but that's just me.
[/QUOTE]

Indeed. I'll also add (although it might have been mentioned) that unlike most Steam titles you can gift extra copies of the Serious Sam HD versions. So if you already had one or both of them and just wanted to get the originals you could buy the Gold pack and give the stuff you already had to a friend.

Anyone have any opinions on EVE online? It's been around for a while, but some googling seems to show that if anything it's improved over the years. Thoughts?

I loved the characters in KOTOR also HK-47 FTW!!!!

KOTOR is an amazing game, if you have never played it BUY BUY BUY IT NOW! Even if you have played it this game belongs in your collection.

"Translation: 98% probability that members of the miniature organic's tribe are being held by Sand People, master. Doubtless he wishes assistance. ... Translation: 2% probability that the miniature organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted. That may be wishful thinking on my part, master."

"Translation: He requires proof of good faith. We must make a contribution to his people that shows we are not a threat. Shall I blast him now, master?"

"I would have congratulated him, if he had not been sizzling and incoherent at the time. If you will excuse me, I will meditate on the face of my old master as he was being electrocuted. I find it most soothing.""

:lol: HK-47 was so awesome!!!!!!

[quote name='rsrlawman']Anyone have any opinions on EVE online? It's been around for a while, but some googling seems to show that if anything it's improved over the years. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Its still pretty brutal, but they've lessened the learning curve drastically, time to fly and advance is shorter. I'll go back every month or so, but its hard to keep with it. If you double up with the trial, you can get about 50 days of play time to try it out.

Its odd that its on sale for $5 this time instead of $2.

Very underwhelming today. Feels like Day 2 of the Greatest Hits of the Sales from 2010. Got SWKOTOR, Mirror's Edge, Serious Sam HD Pack, and Machinarium earlier this year. Passed on SFIV, Lost Planet II, and Killing Floor bundles earlier this year and going to pass on them today, too.

NWN and HAWX2 are new, but way overpriced for what they offer. Hopefully, Steam won't squander too many more days on so many repeats from earlier this year when they already use up Sunday's for repeats from the week itself.

Is this the first time Never winter nights 2 has been offered on Steam? I swear I didn't know Steam carried it.

I already have a disk copy of NWN2 gold on disk, but the extra expansion and to own it on steam make it worth spending the 10 more bucks.

I'm interested in killing floor, but should I buy these character packs. DO these characters have different abilities? Is their any reason to buy the character packs?

[quote name='rsrlawman']Anyone have any opinions on EVE online? It's been around for a while, but some googling seems to show that if anything it's improved over the years. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Eve is a great game, been playing for a few years now.

The new tutorial system and noob missions help expose new players to all the basics in the game. That being said, Eve still has one hell of a learning curve. One of the reasons for that is cause it is an open sandbox MMO. You can do whatever you want to do in the game. The one thing I recommend if you do start playing, find a decent corp to join, it makes the game 100x better.

There is tons of stuff to do, some like to manufactor and sell items. Others just go out ratting (killing npcs), others do mission running, can be a miner, pirate, heck you are even allowed to scam ppl in the game cause the game gives you all the tools to avoid being scammed so it is up to you if you get scammed.

It really is a "what you want to do" game.

CCP the developer adds a new expansion roughly every 12 months for free as well. Some expansions are kinda minor in things they add, others are huge and add tons of content.

Serious Sam and KotOR for me. I'm going to pass NWN2 for today (have and love original NWN with expansions), might get it on Sunday for the encore.

I prefer NWN1, but NWN in general is great for RPG fans that like D&D style of play.

Contemplating getting the Serious Sam HD pack. I just want be able to pick up a game and blow stuff up for half an hour, and it sounds like this is the right game to do with it.

Might bite on KotoR. Don't know when I'd play it, though... and it does look a little dated. Still, it's only $2.50. Decisions, decisions...

Picked up so far today:

Serious Sam Pack
Killing Floor
AI War - Fleet Command (before the cutoff)

NWN 2 gold is very very enticing since I have played part two. If I loved part one would I love two. Are there any major changes? How is the multiplayer? I would love to hear about thoughts on part 2.

[quote name='Glen4321']I'm interested in killing floor, but should I buy these character packs. DO these characters have different abilities? Is their any reason to buy the character packs?[/QUOTE]

See my explanation on the previous page:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8003636&postcount=4518

[quote name='KingDox']Is this the first time Never winter nights 2 has been offered on Steam? I swear I didn't know Steam carried it.[/QUOTE]

Yup. It was originally meant to come out on Steam years ago, and I believe in even publicly appeared in the "coming soon" section for a while, but it got caught up in the legal problems between Wizards of the Coast and Atari. That's all finally been sorted now (which also cleared the way for all the D&D releases on GOG), hence, the game is finally on Steam.

[quote name='Reimu']Picked up NWN 2 and KOTOR. Has anyone played Power of Defense before?[/QUOTE]

Yeah any CAG's have thoughts on Power of Defense? I passed on it on the D2D sale where I could have got it for 50 cents less. I might jump. It seems after 1.1 it's alot better according to the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally have played through KOTOR twice and both run-throughs clocked in at around 28 hours. It is worth the price especially because it is a great game to go back to a year later to replay. It is worth playing twice just to experience the light and dark sides of the game.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']^Wolfmight does just compatibility mode work for it on 7 or do you have to disable movies as well?
[/QUOTE]

Just disable movies.

[quote name='momouchi']I personally have played through KOTOR twice and both run-throughs clocked in at around 28 hours. It is worth the price especially because it is a great game to go back to a year later to replay. It is worth playing twice just to experience the light and dark sides of the game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's fun to play it twice. Once as a "good" character, another as a "bad" character.
Both have their pros and cons.

Only looking at Mirror's Edge today. ;D
o>O the trailer has such toonish graphics while the screenshots look hella more epic O>o wtf? lol . I'll have to youtube gameplay footage

Victoria 1 for me

almost bit on serious sam just so i could get the standard editions...i may still bite if i can find a coworker who would want the hd copies since i already own the hd set

I just got Mirror's Edge today. Have it on PS3, but I had to get rid of my PS3 at the moment, so it'll be nice to have it on Steam as well. Was considering KotOR and Serious Sam, but I'll just hold off until tomorrow and see what they'll drop.

Is Victoria at $3 a daily deal or an every day deal? I see Victoria 2 is a daily deal but was not sure if the first was marked down as a result or if tomorrow it will still be $3. Anyone have impressions on either of these games?

And does anyone have impressions on Power of Defense?

[quote name='MSI Magus']Is Victoria at $3 a daily deal or an every day deal?[/QUOTE]

Daily. All things Victoria (1,2,DLC,Pack) make up the daily deal.

[quote name='cheapo72']Daily. All things Victoria (1,2,DLC,Pack) make up the daily deal.[/QUOTE]

Thinking I will pass then.....few reviews I saw for it made it sounds like it takes 2 or 3 hours just to finish the tutorial and learn to play.

[quote name='forbiddenx']Would you guys recommend NWN2? Kind of the fence as that's all I'm really interested in today. Unless you guys can suggest other wise ;)[/QUOTE]

I got the game about the time it came out and I remember having a blast with it. The story is actually enjoyable unlike NWN 1. It is a very solid D&D game with some good humor and a decent story. I would recommend it since it comes with two expansions too. Heck I am tempted to pick it up even though I have it and the first expansion on disk.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Thinking I will pass then.....few reviews I saw for it made it sounds like it takes 2 or 3 hours just to finish the tutorial and learn to play.[/QUOTE]

Well those reviews suck ass. Trust me, it's well worth getting to know the games. Excellent mods available for the first Victoria, and Victoria 2 is coming along nicely. Very deep and fun games to play. Highly recommended.

Grabbed FEAR yesterday and the Serious Sam pack today. Of course, I'd just bought the first one from GOG's sale for nearly the price of the pack. :\ I was about to buy the 2nd from GOG as well, but my card didn't go through. Luckily. lol

Also gifted Machinarium and Killing Floor. I'd definitely recommend Machinarium. I bought it for ~$5 and played it to the end. A bit short, but very beautiful visuals, and the wordless storytelling is really well done.

[quote name='Takeda Kenshi']Well those reviews suck ass. Trust me, it's well worth getting to know the games. Excellent mods available for the first Victoria, and Victoria 2 is coming along nicely. Very deep and fun games to play. Highly recommended.[/QUOTE]

so, would 2 make a decent blind buy? i picked up 1, and will probably buy iron aces 3 before the end of the sale since the save can transfer from victoria into iron aces. But if 2 seems like a decent deal at 12, i may "bite the bullet" and pick it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back