Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jaredhenry13']Is KOTOR worth playing if I mainly like RPGs in the style of Fallout 3/NV, Oblivion, and Mass Effect?[/QUOTE]
The people who made Mass Effect made KOTOR

funny-video-game-photos-my-favorite-time-of-year.jpg

haven't seen this posted yet

KotOR is made by BioWare (y'know, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, MDK, NWN, Jade Empire...) if that makes anyone's decision easier.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']B
Still heavily considering NWN 2 I just want to make sure it's not a mess like the Oddbox.[/QUOTE]
Oddboxx is half ports, though, plus the games are pretty old. Despite that, I'm also curious about any "new to Steam" issues or anything with NWN2.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']Is KOTOR worth playing if I mainly like RPGs in the style of Fallout 3/NV, Oblivion, and Mass Effect?[/QUOTE]

Because its an earlier Bioware game, its a very stripped down version of later games, like Mass Effect. I couldn't get past the lake of real time combat. You don't shoot the enemy, you click the shoot button and it does a dice roll as to whether you hit him. I hate games where you queue up your combat actions instead of just doing them using my skill.

I think anyone that's played later Bioware games without having played the earlier ones first will find it very very difficult to go back and enjoy the more rudimentary version of later games.

[quote name='Firvagor']

Oddboxx is half ports, though, plus the games are pretty old. Despite that, I'm also curious about any "new to Steam" issues or anything with NWN2.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes good point, I keep refreshing the steam forum page for NWN2 to see what people are saying.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1060

Some people with Win 7 64 bit were having a corrupted model/crashing issue but, a patch from Steam fixed that.

Lots of bitching about the lack of Mysteries of Westgate but, it's explained it is not an expansion plus was made by a completely different company.

Is Killing Floor worth it if I already have the L4D games? (I know their different but I'm asking if their so different and if its good enough that I need to add another zombie fps to my collection) Also leaning heavily towards serious sam. Seems like a nice bit of mindless epic fun for $4.

[quote name='oscargrouch']I can't resist NWN2 for $10. Help me.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying my best to resist it. Telling myself that I'll probably never get around to it until next year (when it'll probably be on sell again) helps.

[quote name='Indignate']I'm trying my best to resist it. Telling myself that I'll probably never get around to it until next year (when it'll probably be on sell again) helps.[/QUOTE] ditto. Picked up DA Ultimate and Witcher. I'm trying to tell myself it wont get played.

I'll throw out some input on some of the deals I've already played:

*Mirror's Edge $5 - Buy it. It's such a cool concept (FPP - First Person Parkour), it works great and once you get the feel for how Faith moves, you can do some pretty wild moves. Can be a little disorienting because of the perspective, though (doing flips actually flips your view).
*Machinarium $3 - BUY IT. Wonderful point and click adventure that is just bursting at the seams with charm.
*Killing Floor - It is really nothing like L4D 1/2. You face increasingly more difficult waves of zombie-type mutants with the other players, and buy/upgrade equipment in between. The accuracy is great, the teamwork is essential - find a choke point and go back to back - and the players are cool. IMO it's totally worth playing. A lot.
*Serious Sam - I played the original game strictly co-op back when it was "new" and it's one of the best experiences I've had gaming. It just gets over the top insane as it goes on, in a good way. This game was made for playing with friends, so I'd advise making sure you have someone to play with before buying. For this price, hand out gifts.

Pretty strongly considering NWN2; never finished 1 though. Also in for the KF DLC.

No purchases today. I already own KOTOR, Machinarium, and Serious Sam 1 & 2 in HD (wish I would've waiting for the Gold to go on sale to get the originals too). NWN2 is tempting but I can wait on it. At first I considered Killing Floor but I'm a scared-y cat and don't really see myself playing it much.

I gifted my cousin Super Meat Boy when it first went on sale and he doesn't have a Wired Xbox 360 controller like me but he did just buy a PS3. I thought someone mentioned a mod or drivers to allow you to play certain PC games with a PS3 controller? Will this work for SMB? How do you do it? He wants to play but that game is impossible with a keyboard.

[quote name='Cleaner7']No purchases today. I already own KOTOR, Machinarium, and Serious Sam 1 & 2 in HD (wish I would've waiting for the Gold to go on sale to get the originals too). NWN2 is tempting but I can wait on it. At first I considered Killing Floor but I'm a scared-y cat and don't really see myself playing it much.

I gifted my cousin Super Meat Boy when it first went on sale and he doesn't have a Wired Xbox 360 controller like me but he did just buy a PS3. I thought someone mentioned a mod or drivers to allow you to play certain PC games with a PS3 controller? Will this work for SMB? How do you do it? He wants to play but that game is impossible with a keyboard.[/QUOTE]

It's called MotionJoy. I'm not clear enough on any info to give you except for the name. D:

[quote name='jazyje']Got Prey from gamersgate to add to my steam catalog.... $2.50, no longer available from steam...[/QUOTE]

Same. Saw it on slickdeals earlier.

Prey for $2.50 on Gamergate which can be activated on steam-
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?p=35791389&posted=1#post35791389

Only thing I am thinking about picking up today is Mirrors Edge. I have heard a lot of conflicting views on it. Trying not to bite on game I am on the edge about because I have enough games that I want to play but do not have the time as it is. Will probably pass and holdout for the summer/next christmas sale.

Mass Effect is essentially a KOTOR sequal without the Star Wars license. Just ask yourself if you want to play an older Mass Effect with less eye candy but with star wars. Note: there isn't any indication of the awful ME1 inventory system. I don't know what possessed bioware with that one. :roll:

Just got home from work, told myself no more games yesterday... I think Serious Sam killed that for me... I am proud to say that I'm gonna pass on NWN2, because I just bought the first one on GOG for their sale. As well as having DA:O Ultimate from 2 days ago. Oh, and the Witcher... Someone stop me, please.

[quote name='crystalklear64']i'm not seeing any love for lost planet 2 what gives[/QUOTE]

Do want, but I don't know if I can stomach another $20 for it. Oh, who am I kidding, I want it!!! But I just ordered a GTX 570... wah! I wish Lost Planet Colonies was on sale too, it's on my wishlist as well. Grr...

I keep coming back buying stuff after I think I'm done lol... so far

Battlefield Bad Co. 2
Super Meat Boy
Overlord 2
Witcher Enhanced Edition
Serious Sam Double Pack (save $1 vs gold.. why would I want the old versions?)
Killing Floor character packs

Is there really any benefit to buying the gold version of serious sam over the double pack? I know the gold comes with the original games, but is there really any draw to playing those over the HD versions?

[quote name='Terlan']Is there really any benefit to buying the gold version of serious sam over the double pack? I know the gold comes with the original games, but is there really any draw to playing those over the HD versions?[/QUOTE]

There are a bunch of mods that only work for the originals. I also think I remember someone saying that coop saving doesn't work or Is buggy in the hd versions.

[quote name='Skizye']I strongly recommend against Serious Sam. I bought it a while back when it was $10 in a weekend deal, playing through the first one was a chore and I never ended up playing through the second one. It has some of the most bland environments I've ever seen and after the first couple of big fights the battles start to become incredibly tedious and boring.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like frantic first person shooters just aren't your thing. I'll chalk you up as the first person I've ever heard to voice that opinion. For balance I'll disagree with your disagreement and say that it's an absolute classic shooter with an emphasis on movement, weapon switching, and co-op gameplay.

[quote name='Terlan']Is Killing Floor worth it if I already have the L4D games? [/QUOTE]

Yes. Oh yes.

[quote name='CountChoculitis']Same. Saw it on slickdeals earlier.

Prey for $2.50 on Gamergate which can be activated on steam-
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?p=35791389&posted=1#post35791389

Only thing I am thinking about picking up today is Mirrors Edge. I have heard a lot of conflicting views on it.

Trying not to bite on game I am on the edge about because I have enough games that I want to play but do not have the time as it is. Will probably pass and holdout for the summer/next christmas sale.[/QUOTE]
Prey's CD-Key will officially activate on Steam?
Can't find it in Steam's game library.

As for Mirror's Edge in today's Deals, Just saw X-Play's review of it on the 360 (PC version probably not that much different) and I'm more convinced. Source: http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/47006/mirrors-edge/review/ Probably gonna go with just this one today. Short 8-10 story, but highly unique and fun. Don't need anymore super long games anyways with Mass Effect 2 and New Vegas still in progress.

FPS French Parkour (free running buildings, objects, landscapes...) is the highlight of this game.:bouncy:

Is NWN2 or Killing Floor worth it? I mean its a lot of bang for the buck but are they fun? If they were PC and Mac I would be all over it. Nice to have more games for my Mac. Is Killing Floor like Left for Dead?

Lost Planet 2 - I got it on steam for free with my solid state drive. I can't get it to play on my windows 7 - 64bit machine. Capcom won't respond to my email. I have a brand new machine that can run anything I can think of without a problem. In any case I'd recommend against it at that point.

once you get the hang of the controls in Mirror's Edge, everything just.. flows. It's a fantastic game, I've played through it several times on the 360, and I think I'll be picking it up so I can play through it on the PC.

[quote name='Argive']Mass Effect is essentially a KOTOR sequal without the Star Wars license. Just ask yourself if you want to play an older Mass Effect with less eye candy but with star wars. Note: there isn't any indication of the awful ME1 inventory system. I don't know what possessed bioware with that one. :roll:[/QUOTE]

ME and KOTOR play nothing alike though...

The gameplay in KOTOR is more along the lines of Dragon Age.

Storywise and characterwise, it's still among one of Bioware's best.

[quote name='W0lfRHart']how is eve online: incursion [/QUOTE]

It's an MMO. Space, you fly ships, heavy on pvp.

But good if you like that stuff.

[quote name='Wolfmight']Prey's CD-Key will officially activate on Steam?
Can't find it in Steam's game library.

As for Mirror's Edge in today's Deals, Just saw X-Play's review of it on the 360 (PC version probably not that much different) and I'm more convinced. Source: http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/47006/mirrors-edge/review/ Probably gonna go with just this one today. Short 8-10 story, but highly unique and fun. Don't need anymore super long games anyways with Mass Effect 2 and New Vegas still in progress.

FPS French Parkour (free running buildings, objects, landscapes...) is the highlight of this game.:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Well the PC version has the added PhysX stuff like cloth and smoke simulations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFio7wMTQ2k

One minor note though about the Steam version of Mirror's Edge is that it does not support the DLC levels. Only the retail and EA download versions support that I believe. They're not really worth it as they're just time trials in MGS VR like environments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone, I just got the killing floor. If anyone is interested in playing over the next few weeks, send a FR to MrBryson (great thread by the way).

I have an extra Civ 5 steam code that I bought a few days ago, and i'm selling it for $35. I was gonna gift it to a friend but he didnt want it. anyone interested?

Been a bust last few days of the sale for me. Nothing I really wanted, especially considering my growing backlog of games. Today I did end up buying Serious Sam Double Pack (I don't need the original versions), Killing Floor (no character packs, trying to save a few bucks here :p), and KOTOR. I do want a few of the indie packs, but I'm lazy and forgot to add them to my cart :).

To anyone who's purchased the Paradox "Complete" Pack, the content listing seems to be missing a few pieces of Paradox DLC (Like East India Company - Pirate Bay, Trafalgar).

Did you receive them anyway (just as Dawn of War 1 was "missing" from the THQ Pack some time ago) or are they actually not included?

Bought KOTOR. Spent all day looking through old hard drives to find my old copy, but couldn't find it. Also, I never ended up beating the game, so this is perfect.

to anyone interested in eve have an extra copy from when it was on sale for 2$ last time, that I would like to part with.

Love Mirror's Edge, picked up the ps3 year or so ago for 20$ then bought it on steam once when it hit 5$ and enjoyed it both times, I like how you can go through it without shooting people. Not being able to get the dlc or use fan made maps (I think) sucks though.

Passing on neverwinter nights 2 due to never getting around to playing the first one I picked up for $10 at the CNE.

hmm to pick up KOTOR or finally get the star wars collection

roughly best sale prices I can remember,(forogt what wasin the 25$ starwars pack last sale other than jedi night collection)
10 jedi night collection
2.50 Kotor
7.50 force unleashed (apprent bad port with massive dl size(don't have a cap with my isp at least!))
5 empire at war (somewhat wanted to play)
5 battlefront II
5 republic commando (been wanting to play)
2.50 jedi star fighter (have on ps2)
5 star wars galaxies
10 republic heroes (doesn't look horrible)
52.50 or the collection for 50$

or just grab kotor, the jedi knight collection and republic commando. hmm

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Anybody know if 360 controllers work for Mirror's Edge? I want the game for the 360, but I might consider it on PC if I can use the pad.[/QUOTE]
It does, i use a wired 360 controller.

grabbed the witcher a few days ago. Glad I missed out on it the last sale since its cheaper now, definitely will not play this for a while anyways.

Might grab PvZ if its a daily sale, if not maybe anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back