Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='iso135']
Downloading Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway on my 360 to see if I want that. If I like it, would any of you suggest the two older titles as well? Or just play the newest for 5 bucks?
[/QUOTE]

Buy them!

Wow. Best Steam day for me yet. I've been wanting Swords and Soldiers for my PS3, but I'll gladly take it for $2.50. Greed Corps was another one on my radar. And Archon?! I killed hours and hours on my Commodore 64 playing that game. I had no idea they redid it. SCORE.

Just a heads up (sorry if it's been mentioned already), but if you bought the Indie Bundle Pack 1 or 2 and activated Penumbra : Overture on Steam, it DOES count as a purchase, so you can get the $4.80 price. Makes me want to donate more...

Think I'll pick that up, and Dead Space (yeah, it ain't an astounding price, but I told myself if it went daily I'd buy it...so there ya go)

[quote name='iso135']

Downloading Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway on my 360 to see if I want that. If I like it, would any of you suggest the two older titles as well? Or just play the newest for 5 bucks?

[/QUOTE]

I would buy them all because it is one continuous storyline and the plot refers back to events that happen during the previous two games.

[quote name='Rerujnoc']I would buy them all because it is one continuous storyline and the plot refers back to events that happen during the previous two games.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that, thank you. What is another 5 dollars, lol.

Was tempted by both Amnesia and Swords & Soldiers in the past, will bite at these prices. Thank you, Humble Indie Bundle activating on Steam!

Also, my brother, a Mac user, bought Civ V today. If he gets his Steam account set up before today's sale is done, I'm gifting him PvZ. He has it on his phone, but for four bucks (and on his birthday, no less!) he can play it on his laptop as well.

Just bought Archon and PvZ. Was seriously thinking about getting Greed and Swords and Soldiers but I have already spent over $50 and I'm still planning to get a couple indie bundles as well as the potato pack if it ever comes out. Hopefully when all is said and done I will not have spent over $100.

[quote name='DPsycho'] If he gets his Steam account set up before today's sale is done, I'm gifting him PvZ.[/QUOTE]

If it looks like he won't have it set up, just gift it to another email, then "re-send" from Steam when he does.

[quote name='cheapo72']If it looks like he won't have it set up, just gift it to another email, then "re-send" from Steam when he does.[/QUOTE]

Ooh, thanks for the tip. Never gifted before, so I didn't know what was involved.

[quote name='DPsycho']Ooh, thanks for the tip. Never gifted before, so I didn't know what was involved.[/QUOTE]
Or just gift it to his email address and when he gets an account he can just click on it.

Read the Steam forums and found people complaining a lot about BiA. Then watched a video review of the latest one, heard about horrible AI. Some people said they couldn't even get the first two to work in Windows Vista or 7, to say nothing of x64 that I run. Nah, don't want the headache.

PvZ is awesome, but I bought for a $1 for my iPod Touch and beat it. See no reason to buy it again for my PC.

I'm going to try The Ball demo. I own Dead Space on disc. Eventually, I expect EA to make this one's key so it will work on EA DM. If not, I suspect it'll drop lower in a future sale, but by then I'll no doubt have played it from the disc. ;)

I watched a video about Greed and wow, that looked boring. Like watching paint dry.

So I went with the tried and true Amnesia. Got it for $4.80 because I activated my Steam version of the Indie Pack 1 after it was included with my Indie Pack 2 donation. The Indie Pack is like the gift that keeps on giving. Probably the best deal I've gotten this season.

[quote name='wynams']nothing today, worst day thus far imnsho[/QUOTE]

For me, I thought this was one of the better days. I'd probably have bought more if I didn't own some already, but the games were more up my alley today overall.

I got The Ball and Kane and Lynch 2 today. The Ball so far seems pretty fun. Kane and Lynch is still downloading! Noo! I am looking forward to playing that.

I spent a good amount on games so far. Here's to hoping the rest of the deals are hits for everyone!

Played K&L2 last night from start to finish on PS3 through the Gamefly sale ($8) - yes, it's that short. Played it online with a buddy the whole way through. It was a good time, but the game is just not that good. It is just gunfighting with no breaks. No real strategy to the whole thing, no special techniques, not even grenades. Just guns, and shooting them. You can take people hostage, but they shoot you anyway, so no strategy there either. Nor are there specific things you can do with your buddy, a-la Army of Two. Lastly, the story is just terrible things happening to terrible people, with no ending whatsoever.

K&L2 is a good time, but just barely.

So, I just found out that BFBC 2, CoD, etc. can kill your ability to play a slightly more strategic shooter such as Brothers in Arms. Been a while since I felt so out of place with a shooter....

I've limited myself to $2.50 for short single player games and GFWL games, and $5 - $7.50 for open world, highly replayable SP games and MP games. Even for a CAG those are pretty stingy requirements. There have been several days where I didn't buy anything, and I've still spent $41.60 already, and I'm looking at a few $5 Indie Packs, Sniper Elite, and a couple others.

Definitely had to get the Quake pack. I'm thinking it'll be a while before Quake 4 debuts on Steam.
Waiting to get anything until it's more than 50% off seems to be a good personal strategy.

[quote name='mramazing']i also got bfbc2 Vietnam from the recycle bank thread[/QUOTE]
I'm definitely going to try that out, especially since it's Steam-able.

[quote name='iso135']Lucky for me I have talked myself back down to considering just three of these titles.

Definitely in for PvZ, loved the demo.

Also haven't completely ruled out Sniper: Ghost Warrior as the atmosphere intrigues me. Someone talk me off the edge on this game, because I know every critic said it is bad, but I need a person or two to reinforce that with me.[/QUOTE]
I didnt like the demo on 360 but I still bought the game. My friend told me it is much better on PC. Better graphics and much better controls.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']I didnt like the demo on 360 but I still bought the game. My friend told me it is much better on PC. Better graphics and much better controls.[/QUOTE]

Controls, yes. Graphics, no. Xbox version is all higher res textures, 16:9, and has a few new features like vs mode.

[quote name='pROvIs']Controls, yes. Graphics, no. Xbox version is all higher res textures, 16:9, and has a few new features like vs mode.[/QUOTE]
Oh well, $5 is worth it. I hope.

[quote name='selits']Got Plants vs Zombies and Swords and Soldiers HD today.

Also got BC2 Vietnam and the SPECACT Kit Upgrades for $4.99 total from EA Store! Thanks pROvIs for that link for the Recycle Bank thread, its http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=278843 for those that may have missed it.[/QUOTE]

Can you provide another link to that thread, that link is broken, it's truncated just like the preview of it is. I can't seem to find that thread on my own.

Mmm, best day of the sales so far for me. Amnesia, PvZ, Swords & Soldiers, Winterbottom (finally), and maybe the Ball (will check out the demo).

Was suppose to be out and about partying all this week, but damn flu bug infected me. Amnesia, which I had been itching to get for awhile, will help alleviate some of the quarantined pain.

I beat Kayne and Lynch 2: Dog Days twice and I love it! Got it for $5 in the past Nov sale. Very intense action and crazy real-life style story.
Great game for $5! Get it!

Amnesia looks interesting, not sure if I want to play a character that's always afraid though. I like the originality though...hmm

The Ball looks interesting too, but I feel like the "ball" itself could get old and annoying?

Dead Space! Haven't played, but I've heard many good things.

Brothers in Arms doesn't seem to bad for $10.

Quake Collection - nothing new here. Stops at Quake 3? What kind of collection is that!? Best for fans who absolutely need it in steam or young gamers who've never played em. Better than the Doom pack, because of the greater multi-player capabilities.

[quote name='Wolfmight']Quake Collection - nothing new here. Stops at Quake 3? What kind of collection is that!? Best for fans who absolutely need it in steam or young gamers who've never played em. Better than the Doom pack, because of the greater multi-player capabilities.[/QUOTE]
Haven't the majority of Quake III players moved over to the newer browser-based version?

[quote name='Thrinn']Haven't the majority of Quake III players moved over to the newer browser-based version?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not. Certainly not exclusively.

[quote name='cRodz']is the BC2 Vietnam for Steam dead?[/QUOTE]

dead? It hasn't been for sale on steam. You have to go to the Recycle thread that was posted and follow the information to get $10 off EA Store to buy Vietnam which can then be used with the steam version of BC2.

Passed on PVZ since I plan on eventually picking up the PopCap complete pack. The Quake Pack was also a little rich for my blood.

Picked up Amnesia, Swords & Soldiers HD, and The Ball.

I think the Potato Pack might have been a hoax or maybe it will be the last mega Indie deal. Who knows at this point? Since I already own most of the games I'll pass now after indulging on Amnesia, The Ball, and Super Meat already during this sale and owning a bunch of the other games on the list from other sales.

Valve, make it stop! I'm going to start a support group for others like myself whose wallets are no longer safe against these sales. It will be called Coalition Against Steam Hysterics.

[quote name='avwjase']I'm certainly not trying to argue, just give a different perspective. I purchased K&L 2 during the Black Friday sale and felt ripped off. The AI is terrible, the movements are sluggish. It felt like I was controlling a 350lb man at times. The camera is shaky as hell but I believe that is intentional. However, if you are like me it will make you sick. I don't usually agree with metascores etc... on games but they got it right on K&L2. It is a terrible game.[/QUOTE]You're not the only one. I tried the Kane and Lynch demo, had a headache 5 min in, and quit 10 min in. It is THE worst game I've ever played, as it is the only game that make me physically ill while playing.

Was trying to make a purchase and had some trouble doing so from the site so had to go through the client.

Picked up Sword & Soldiers and I'm considering Amnesia at the moment. Love horror games as they are the only thing that really scare me anymore and I particularly like those with combat, makes it all the more frightening. I've heard it's quite short through, anybody have any opinions on it?

[quote name='DirkBelig']OK, I just burned thru 56 of my 60 minutes demo time in PvZ and I think I'm gonna get it.[/QUOTE]

I burnt through the entire 1 hour, but not sure if there's anything else in this game (got to level 2-5 by the way).. How many levels are there????

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back