Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blitztwn36'](Speaking of which, I think I'm totally backward on gaming, as I love games I can finish in around 10 hours. There's just so much to play and so little time!)[/QUOTE]You're not alone. As I get older and have less time to play games, I enjoy short games more and more. It's a nice feeling to actually finish a game. I don't mind long games, as I put 80+ hours into Dragon Age and FF Tactics Advanced, but by the end I was longing for the games to be over. I liked that I was able to play through Ico in 7 hours or so, and finish Modern Warfare 1+2 in 5-8 hours each.

I'm so glad that today none of the deals interested me! :lol:
So far I've got:

Mass Effect 1 - $9.99
Dragon Age: Origins UE - $24.99
Star Wars: KotoR - $2.50
Monkey Island bundle - $3.75
Titan Quest bundle - $4.99
Deus Ex bundle - $2.99
Neverwinter Nights 2 - $9.99

Total (so far!): $54.21 :cold:

[quote name='jazyje'] How many levels are there????[/QUOTE]
The level progression goes front lawn, front lawn at night, backyard pool, backyard pool at night (fog), and rooftop. Between these are minigame levels and, ultimately, the final battle.

[quote name='jazyje']I burnt through the entire 1 hour, but not sure if there's anything else in this game (got to level 2-5 by the way).. How many levels are there????[/QUOTE]I knocked off at level 2-2, but according to the store page for it:

• Play five game modes: Adventure, Mini-Games, Puzzle, Survival, plus the stress-free Zen Garden
  • Conquer all 50 levels of Adventure mode — through day, night, and fog, in a swimming pool and on the rooftop
  • Battle 26 types of zombies including pole-vaulters, snorkelers and “Zomboni” drivers
  • Earn 49 powerful perennials and collect coins to buy a pet snail, power-ups and more!
  • Open the Almanac to see all the plants and zombies, plus amusing “facts” and quotes
  • Browse Crazy Dave’s shop for special plants and tools to stem any zombie assault
  • Amazing graphics and soundtrack, plus a bonus music video
  • Infinite replayability: the game is never the same experience twice!
  • Unlock all the Steam Achievements

Sounds like lots more variants for both sides; more of everything. No way in heck would I pay $10 for something like this, but $4 feels OK and it's Mac/PC compatible with Steam Cloud saving so I can putz around with it on my MBP when looking to kill some time.

[quote name='DPsycho']The level progression goes front lawn, front lawn at night, backyard pool, backyard pool at night (fog), and rooftop. Between these are minigame levels and, ultimately, the final battle.[/QUOTE]

It appears as though there are some puzzle and survival mode games afterward as well. Quite a bit to it actually. I got to about 2-5 on the 60 min trial as well, and was slightly worried there wouldn't be a lot more content. But, 50 standard levels, then some mini-games, puzzles, and survival seem like quite a bit now. Played for three hours so far tonight.

[quote name='jazyje']I burnt through the entire 1 hour, but not sure if there's anything else in this game (got to level 2-5 by the way).. How many levels are there????[/QUOTE]

50 levels in Adventure mode, the second playthrough of Adventure which mixes things up a bit, 20 minigames, and Survival mode... Plants vs Zombies is an immense game.

[quote name='eastx']50 levels in Adventure mode, the second playthrough of Adventure which mixes things up a bit, 20 minigames, and Survival mode... Plants vs Zombies is an immense game.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I've beaten the game on the iphone and on the xbox. I can't believe that I'm considering buying it again.

[quote name='iso135']It appears as though there are some puzzle and survival mode games afterward as well. Quite a bit to it actually. I got to about 2-5 on the 60 min trial as well, and was slightly worried there wouldn't be a lot more content. But, 50 standard levels, then some mini-games, puzzles, and survival seem like quite a bit now. Played for three hours so far tonight.[/QUOTE]

there is a lot to the game. I have 60 hours or so in it and havent really played since the goty update jacked my garden and erased my progress. It is a fantastic game.

guys mafia 2 is only 12.50 on amazon.com digital download, you can buy the game and activate the key on steam, thats what i did, just a heads up

Played through PvZ three times initially, then another time for the new achievements when GotY hit. Just gifted it to my brother for four bucks since he reported his iPhone version didn't have all the features I'd mentioned. (Then again, he also admitted to not letting it update so he would keep the Thriller zombie in its original form.)

[quote name='jazyje']Can you activate it on steam?[/QUOTE]
Yes and no. You cant activate it on steam but you can redeam it within game for use in any version of BF:BC2. Its really attached to your ea.com account.

I decided to pick up Amnesia, didn't know much about it until today.. should be interesting.. still tempted by the quake pack but for what you get that price is goofy compared to other deals we've been seeing.

only 4 more days left. do you guys think that any of the packs will be a daily deal? i'm still going to hold out until sunday, but it is looking less and less unlikely.

when did packs show up as daily deals in previous sales?

Man I wish my friend and I had beat Borderlands earlier, then we would have felt motivated to buy the DLC pack when it was on sale. Well here's hoping for a second chance offer on it or something.

Picked up Greed Corp. and Swords and Soldiers HD today. Both looked like fun little romps for $2.50 a pop.

Only thing I didn't pick up that I am wishing I would have so far is Risen when it was a daily. I ended up purchasing Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga at its sale price (though not daily deal) and am having a pretty fun time with it so far. I would assume Risen would be along the same lines.

Tried both the Kane and Lynch 2 demo and Archon.

Kane and Lynch 2 demo probably took me about an hour and half to get to run on my pc. First it wouldn't launch at all then I found out it didn't like one of my sound cards so I disabled it and got it to start then it would crash when trying to start a game. It finally started working and all I did was turn on subtitles... not sure if that fixed it or not.

As far as the game itself, it felt like it had a lot of potential. I liked the way it looked and the atmosphere but I felt like my bullets were really inaccurate and didn't pack a satisfying punch. I have no problem with bullet sponges but they just didn't feel like they had any velocity or weight, it was weird. I think it is a decent pick up at $5 but I'm not sure I'd get around to it with all the other AAA titles. I may change my mind and end up buying it.

Archon I didn't enjoy much at all. I like turn based games but the Real Time portions of the game were weird and I just couldn't get into them. I will pass on this one.

Gotta say, King's Bounty does bring back some memories of the original game. A lot of fun.

I did run into the flickering problem, but I used the workaround (going to the graphics menu and clicking on a check box until it stopped) and it worked fine after that.

They've been offering up games from the Potato Pack as daily deals and through other packs. Chances are that they will offer the pack either on New Year's Day or January 2nd during the recap. (Why not put the pack up first and sell it piecemeal instead? Money. They make more money if people buy games and then the packs later.)

This is just speculation, however. If there is a game you really want, grab it when it's a daily, don't gamble. For all we know, the potato pack really was a hoax.

Either already have or have no interest in the big-dollar games in the rumored Potato Indie Pack, so I decided to just buy Amnesia a la carte. Was definitely pleased to see it's even cheaper those who also already own the Penumbra games; good thing I didn't jump on the $10 deals last month.

I think I would've bit on Amnesia if I wasn't going to be too scared to play it. Kind of wish I could experience the game play but I hate horror anything :(

[quote name='TheLongshot']Gotta say, King's Bounty does bring back some memories of the original game. A lot of fun.

I did run into the flickering problem, but I used the workaround (going to the graphics menu and clicking on a check box until it stopped) and it worked fine after that.[/QUOTE]

I tried that, but it didn't work for me. Glad I tried the demo first. I wanted the game, but the flickering drove me mad.

[quote name='forbiddenx']I think I would've bit on Amnesia if I wasn't going to be too scared to play it. Kind of wish I could experience the game play but I hate horror anything :([/QUOTE]

Until Amnesia, I had no idea there were people so scared of horror games they wouldn't play them. Weird.

[quote name='contej85']Until Amnesia, I had no idea there were people so scared of horror games they wouldn't play them. Weird.[/QUOTE]

The first time I saw a zombie running full speed at me in the Resident Evil remake for gamecube I refused to play that game any further. Some of these games are genuinely scary in a way movies can't be.

[quote name='Japakneez']4 days left! Still haven't seen Dawn of War II or Elder Scrolls yet. Hope they show up.[/QUOTE]

Dawn of War II Gold is $19.99 if that helps. I had no idea DOW2: Retribution was coming out in March.

How much blood and gore is there actually in Amnesia? I love puzzle games and exploration games and the like, but I'm not too fond of games where it's just "kill kill kill blood blood blood zombie zombie evil undead witch" and stuff like that.

I haven't played Amnesia yet, but as I understand it most of the killing and bloodshed is done by the enemies. On you. Assuming you're too slow/unlucky/stupid enough to get caught by one of them. As another guy put it a few pages back, the biggest difference between Dead Space and Amnesia is in the first one you're pretty much killing everything, but in the other you're running the fuck away from everything.

[quote name='contej85']Until Amnesia, I had no idea there were people so scared of horror games they wouldn't play them. Weird.[/QUOTE]

I'm also scared of horror movies and won't watch them :p

[quote name='DigitalE']How much blood and gore is there actually in Amnesia? I love puzzle games and exploration games and the like, but I'm not too fond of games where it's just "kill kill kill blood blood blood zombie zombie evil undead witch" and stuff like that.[/QUOTE]

In terms of actual violence in Amnesia, there is virtually none. Almost all of the "gore" is purely atmospheric: blots of blood on the ground, notes talking about horrific events that happened in the castle, dead bodies piled up in a morgue, etc. All enemies need to be hidden or run from; there's absolutely no fighting back. It's pure puzzle/exploration/adventure with a horror theme, and no combat to get in the way.

[quote name='contej85']Until Amnesia, I had no idea there were people so scared of horror games they wouldn't play them. Weird.[/QUOTE]One of the biggest scares I had in gaming was in Half-Life early on when you went into the flooded office, hopping from desk to desk to keep from being electrocuted until you can cut off the power. I bashed out an air vent and looked in and it was clear. I looked away at Barney and then turned back to the vent to climb in and a headcrab was RIGHT THERE LEAPING AT MY FACE!!! I actually screamed. :shock:

Then there was a moment in System Shock 2 where I came out of an elevator, looked left, all clear, looked right, clear, looked back left and A fuckING ZOMBIE GUY IS LUNGING AT ME!!!! :shock: Screaming again. Pretty much swore of scary games after that. Bought the Penumbra bundle last year and started to play and it got so tense before I even saw anything, I walked away from the whole thing.

Yeah, I'm a wuss. :-({|=

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']What's different from the regular and GotY PvZ?[/QUOTE]

GotY adds achievements and the zombatar, the zombie avatar maker like the one on the game's official web site, you design a zombie and during play the zombie you designed shows up as the flag bearer for every wave. It also replaced the Michael Jackson zombie with a disco zombie.

Anyone think Orange Box or TF2 will show up for less? I don't like FPS but the budget gamer in me is sad he missed the Orange box for like $7 on Black Friday.

I'm with those that don't watch scary movies or play horror games. I like nice, happy things. Cartoons, children's films, comedies. Maybe it's a girl thing.

So yeah, I wouldn't even watch the trailer for Amnesia.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm with those that don't watch scary movies or play horror games. I like nice, happy things. Cartoons, children's films, comedies. Maybe it's a girl thing.

So yeah, I wouldn't even watch the trailer for Amnesia.[/QUOTE]

Nice zombie 360 avatar. :lol:

Bought Hearts of Iron III Complete - I LOVE Paradox! Holding out for Dawn of War Chaos Rising to become a DD at some point...

Picked up Plants vs Zombies and Amnesia. Got it cheaper because of the humble indie bundles (penumbra). Played for about an hour, definitely has a creepy atmosphere. On the fence about greed corps, might pick it up on the last day.

Finally something that perked my interest today, picked up Dead Space finally, The Ball and Greed Corp.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm with those that don't watch scary movies or play horror games. I like nice, happy things. Cartoons, children's films, comedies. Maybe it's a girl thing.

So yeah, I wouldn't even watch the trailer for Amnesia.[/QUOTE]

I love horror films but I've always been a huge wuss when it comes to horror games. I don't think the two even compare, actually playing out a scary scenario is much worse than just watching it in my opinion. Never had it in me to even play the Resident Evil games much alone except for RE4, and I remember how AvP2 scared me shitless in the marine campaign. Had to quit the game about an hour in since I felt so much anxiety and never touched it again. Very atmospheric game at the time, kinda wanna go back and see how it holds up today.

Still I have to say that for some reason Amnesia has me interested. Played the demo which got me quite spooked but I have some weird interest in the game for some reason. I think it's because I really admire the design decisions of the game and how the developers have obviously really thought out how to make you feel as scared and helpless as possible. Also my girlfriend is a big horror fan and is very interested in the game, although she doesn't play games herself. She tried the demo but she really struggles with the first person mouse/keyboard controls. Also, she doesn't understand what is so scary about playing a scary game, and that sort of bugs the hell out of me since she hasn't really experienced any sort video games except bejeweled type casual games.

That said, I'll wait. Don't get the Penumbra discount and I have plenty of games added to the backlog, so I'll wait for it to hit $5 and hopefully clear out some of my backlog in the meantime. Also I'm gonna dip my toes with Dead Space before I venture to one of the scariest games of all time.

[quote name='Edge']In terms of actual violence in Amnesia, there is virtually none. Almost all of the "gore" is purely atmospheric: blots of blood on the ground, notes talking about horrific events that happened in the castle, dead bodies piled up in a morgue, etc. All enemies need to be hidden or run from; there's absolutely no fighting back. It's pure puzzle/exploration/adventure with a horror theme, and no combat to get in the way.[/QUOTE]

While the "gore" may not be present, I found the torture chamber flashback sections pretty disturbing, probably b/c I was not expecting them. And I'm a jaded horror buff too.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Then there was a moment in System Shock 2 ...[/QUOTE]

"Siiilence the dissscoord!"

As great as these Indie Packs are, they make me paranoid about adding games like Greed,Archon,S&S directly to my account. I'll be purchasing gifts until I actually get around to playing them.

[quote name='DirkBelig']One of the biggest scares I had in gaming was in Half-Life early on when you went into the flooded office, hopping from desk to desk to keep from being electrocuted until you can cut off the power. I bashed out an air vent and looked in and it was clear. I looked away at Barney and then turned back to the vent to climb in and a headcrab was RIGHT THERE LEAPING AT MY FACE!!! I actually screamed. :shock:

Then there was a moment in System Shock 2 where I came out of an elevator, looked left, all clear, looked right, clear, looked back left and A fuckING ZOMBIE GUY IS LUNGING AT ME!!!! :shock: Screaming again. Pretty much swore of scary games after that. Bought the Penumbra bundle last year and started to play and it got so tense before I even saw anything, I walked away from the whole thing.

Yeah, I'm a wuss. :-({|=[/QUOTE]

Don't feel bad. I can't stand either as well (horror films or survival horror games). I only finished Resident Evil 3 because I wanted to save hottie Jill Valentine (she wasn't cute enough in RE1). :)

I went ahead and nabbed the King's Bounty games. They looked interesting enough.

[quote name='ras752000']While the "gore" may not be present, I found
the torture chamber flashback sections pretty disturbing,
probably b/c I was not expecting them. And I'm a jaded horror buff too.[/QUOTE]
Yeah thanks for ruining the surprise for everybody else, jerk.

Got a call from my bank asking if stuff purchased from "Valve Software" on my credit card was legitimate. I replied, "yes, unfortunately yes it is". I guess when you buy anywhere between $1.75 (flatout 1/2) to $20 (ME 1/2) each day of the entire Steam sale, your bank gets a little suspicious....

[quote name='TestType']Yeah thanks for ruining the surprise for everybody else, jerk.[/QUOTE]

He used a spoiler, he didn't ruin anything. Your fault for clicking.

[quote name='Wargamer']He used a spoiler, he didn't ruin anything. Your fault for clicking.[/QUOTE]

No, I used a spoiler tag, he didn't, if you check the original post. I'm not gonna draw further attention to a spoiler by quoting it in my own post without adding spoiler tags.

[quote name='TestType']No, I used a spoiler tag, he didn't, if you check the original post. I'm not gonna draw further attention to a spoiler by quoting it in my own post without adding spoiler tags.[/QUOTE]

Ah then, I stand corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back