Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Company of Heroes like World in Conflict because I will pick up WIC tomorrow if it is not? I generally suck at RTS but I like WIC because it is more about battling and not resources or buildling up bases.

[quote name='iso135']But 78 is 28 points above average? I kind of always assumed 70 to 75 was average....and 50 was garbage.[/QUOTE]

Well that just goes to show you don't know a damn thing about statistics. 50% is exactly in the middle, hence, "average."

Videogame criticism is on a massive curve.

[quote name='Mooby']Keep in mind the wait on Black Mesa Source might be longer than you think. They announced last year it would be out before 2010. Not bashing them, it's a labor of love and a lot of hard work but if you have the urge to play HL I'd say just go ahead and grab it now while it's dirt cheap and you can enjoy BM: Source whenever they get to it.[/QUOTE]

True. From what I've seen in the trailers, the wait will be worth it. It will come out eventually. I don't mind waiting :)

I have the original to play if I want to, and I don't think Source is that big of an improvement, from what I've seen/read. Rather spend the $1.50 on something else.

I would get HL1 Anthology for $2 and change instead of HL1 Source if you don't already have them. Better yet HL2 complete for $6 is awesome.

[quote name='Mooby']Keep in mind the wait on Black Mesa Source might be longer than you think. They announced last year it would be out before 2010. Not bashing them, it's a labor of love and a lot of hard work but if you have the urge to play HL I'd say just go ahead and grab it now while it's dirt cheap and you can enjoy BM: Source whenever they get to it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, the team has been working for around five years and there is no clear release date.

As for today I got Blood Money before the cutoff and just bought Sid Meier's Pirates!

Considering:

Civ IV complete
Zeno Clash
Ion Assault

I'm kind of relieved it's the last day, I just made my final order and then counted all of the games I bought from the last holiday sale, the summer sale, and this holiday sale. I have 195 Steam games now, accumulated all in one year. I doubt that I will ever play half of them, glad I got them all dirt cheap! Still, I don't even want to tally the total amount I've spent on Steam.

EDIT: $353.05. I knew I didn't want to know. Still, an awesome deal for 195 games!

I'd strongly recommend Zeno Clash at that price. The world is just so weird and unique that it's worth giving a try for $3.75.

A lot of good ones today, IMO...Divinity 2 is very, very tempting for me at $20, but I think I'm with the bulk of the forum population in that my backlog is a little too much. I've heard a ton of good things about the game, but I don't know if I can dedicate the many hours to it.

Ahh, what the hell, I'm probably going to get it.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Well that just goes to show you don't know a damn thing about statistics. 50% is exactly in the middle, hence, "average."

Videogame criticism is on a massive curve.[/QUOTE]

No need to get snippy with him. Not to mention that is factually inaccurate (average, aka mean, would be the sum of all scores divided by number of games reviewed, and hence would likely be somewhere in the 70s for video games). 50 is the midpoint on the grading scale, that's all.

For the deals today, I highly recommend Zeno Clash. It's fun and unique, and this is the right price for it.

Wavering on Mafia II and Divinity II. Wondering what the chances are for a Mafia II GOTY edition or some such nonsense, containing all the DLC. RE Divinity, just haven't heard enough about it yet to make a decision.

Got CoH Gold and Ion Assault. Done w/ buying video games for a LONG LONG time now.

Steam says I own 150 games now. Ugh! XD Gotta start playing them all.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Well that just goes to show you don't know a damn thing about statistics. 50% is exactly in the middle, hence, "average."

Videogame criticism is on a massive curve.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information.

[quote name='Newl']Any opinions on AaAaAA! A Reckless Disregard For Gravity?
for 2.50, was thinking of picking it up.[/QUOTE]

It's fun - feels like a racing game except that you're plummeting forward :). The levels are short (maybe 1-2 minutes), but it's the replayability in trying to get a better score for that level (you try to hit point bars, trying to skim the surface as close as possible, etc. I was surprised by how "busy" it can get trying to maximize the score) - you might end up spending ALOT of time on one level because you think you can just do a little better than before.

I played it initially because of the sweepstakes to get the ticket, but ended up having fun with it. (same with Chime, which is also addictive)

[quote name='gnargnargnar']Having a blast with the game so far - once your character gets powerful enough, you unlock some of the later talents, get some decent gear, and know what you are doing, it is quite enjoyable. Pretty rough for the first few hours, though. I think I have around 25 hours sunk into the game so far (restarted at the 5 hour mark on my first playthrough after I got a feel for the game). Tons of quests, side quests, multiple ways to complete quests, diablo-esque equipment to loot. And I haven't even reached the really cool parts of the game yet - I'm basically still running around the starting area finishing up my quest log..[/QUOTE]

I picked up Risen in November and am enjoying it. However, the game does that "wipe it out/pick it up and it's gone forever" kind of thing; in other words, you can't grind enemies or wait for plants to respawn, etc. I understand this design decision and think it's kind of neat, but I have to come out as being weaned on games where they don't use this feature.

That won't stop me from finishing Risen (I like the change of pace and what I think is a rather beautiful world), but I also want to add another game to my PC library where you can take your time and grind if I wish. Does DKS limit respawns and items, and do enemies level with you? Thanks for any info as well as your impressions so far!

[quote name='beefytwinkie']
Also picked up Dark Sector for five bucks. I know that game got a lot of flak but I really liked it so for five bucks I figure I can squeeze a couple more playthroughs in and have a blast.
[/QUOTE]

Dark Sector was a good time. Controlling the glave with the mouse was a lot easier than with the controller. Really enjoyed it.

[quote name='rhettdb2005']No need to get snippy with him. Not to mention that is factually inaccurate (average, aka mean, would be the sum of all scores divided by number of games reviewed, and hence would likely be somewhere in the 70s for video games). 50 is the midpoint on the grading scale, that's all. [/QUOTE]

This is actually exactly what I meant, as I am pretty sure I know that 50 lies halfway between 0 and 100, but the average score seems to be 70 to 75 as I stated. But, apparently I "don't know a damn thing about statistics". Whether I am wrong or right here doesn't really matter though, the main point is it was not necessary to insult me. Informing me of your opinion would have been sufficient.

Edit, after reading this it appears this is aimed at you Rhettdb2005, and it most certainly is not. I agree with what you stated.

I am wondering what you guys think of the Kids Pack to those that have purchased and played some of them...

Rush is great fun, so I am going to get Toki Tori regardless. I love my puzzle games. So it's either the pack for $5 or single game for $1.25.

Would rather not have the stupid horse game in my list, but its not going to annoy me or anything since my list is getting rather huge lol. It will be well hidden amongst the others ;)

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

[quote name='iso135']This is actually exactly what I meant, as I am pretty sure I know that 50 lies halfway between 0 and 100, but the average score seems to be 70 to 75 as I stated. But, apparently I "don't know a damn thing about statistics". Whether I am wrong or right here doesn't really matter though, the main point is it was not necessary to insult me. Informing me of your opinion would have been sufficient.[/QUOTE]

We're on the same page, I was actually trying to back you up haha :) anyways, no sense continuing this so... thoughts on Mafia II DLC?

[quote name='rhettdb2005']We're on the same page, I was actually trying to back you up haha :) anyways, no sense continuing this so... thoughts on Mafia II DLC?[/QUOTE]

I edited my post, it did look as though that was aimed at you and it was not at all.

As for Mafia 2, I don't own the game yet, but I certainly enjoyed the demo for console. There is nothing else I want today, so I will likely buy it.

I have the Half-Life platinum collection, so there's no need to buy it again. I seem to recall hearing in the past that you can activate your copy of Half-life on steam by entering the product key. I just took a look at the Hal-life page over on the steam site and I can't find a place to enter the key. Anybody know if this is still possible, and if so, how I'd go about doing it?

For the record, I tried to google the answer for this before asking here. But what can I say, my google skills suck. I guess I just wasn't phrasing the question right.

[quote name='Miracleman']I have the Half-Life platinum collection, so there's no need to buy it again. I seem to recall hearing in the past that you can activate your copy of Half-life on steam by entering the product key. I just took a look at the Hal-life page over on the steam site and I can't find a place to enter the key. Anybody know if this is still possible, and if so, how I'd go about doing it?

For the record, I tried to google the answer for this before asking here. But what can I say, my google skills suck. I guess I just wasn't phrasing the question right.[/QUOTE]

On steam, click games > activate a product on steam

[quote name='Miracleman']I have the Half-Life platinum collection, so there's no need to buy it again. I seem to recall hearing in the past that you can activate your copy of Half-life on steam by entering the product key. I just took a look at the Hal-life page over on the steam site and I can't find a place to enter the key. Anybody know if this is still possible, and if so, how I'd go about doing it?

For the record, I tried to google the answer for this before asking here. But what can I say, my google skills suck. I guess I just wasn't phrasing the question right.[/QUOTE]

Yea you can. Install steam and so it from inside the program. Just click on activate product on steam and put in your cd key and it will give you the games :)

[quote name='didamangi']On steam, click games > activate a product on steam[/QUOTE]

Oh, that was easy. Thank you very much. :)

Edit: thanks to sp8001 as well.

To anyone considering Company of Heroes:

Company of Heroes Online is free, and basically has the entire single player of the original and expansions AND the multiplayer plus expansions with some tweaks.

I'm not dissing on CoH. I bought it back when, and I love it. But, well, CoHO is free :x

http://www.companyofheroes.com/

I am reading though the forum and noticed a lot of people talking about a "Potato Pack". It looks like a lot of people are waiting for this but it has not come about yet. What is this "Potato Pack" supposed to be?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']In case anyone missed it, there is a Frozenbyte pack, including Shadowgrounds, Shadowgrounds Survivor, and Trine (all FANTASTIC games), on sale for just $5.99:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6957/

This one just went up recently, so it's easy to miss.[/QUOTE]

This looks very tempting. I don't think Trine has been less than $4 before, so this is basically $2 on top of Trine to get a couple Shadowgrounds games. Hmm, decisions, decisions.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']I picked up Risen in November and am enjoying it. However, the game does that "wipe it out/pick it up and it's gone forever" kind of thing; in other words, you can't grind enemies or wait for plants to respawn, etc. I understand this design decision and think it's kind of neat, but I have to come out as being weaned on games where they don't use this feature.

That won't stop me from finishing Risen (I like the change of pace and what I think is a rather beautiful world), but I also want to add another game to my PC library where you can take your time and grind if I wish. Does DKS limit respawns and items, and do enemies level with you? Thanks for any info as well as your impressions so far![/QUOTE]

Dragon Knight Saga is the same way in a sense enemies don't respawn and items are picked up once. They did that so you feel like you have a purpose in the game...what you kill does not just pop back up 5 minutes later. What decisions you make stick with you through the entire game (and there are game changing decisions you will have to make). They also did this to prevent one from becoming overpowered.

I understand where you are coming from though. Some like respawns and there is nothing wrong with that. This game takes the other route though.

Still it is a fantastic game (better than Risen imo, having played both).

[quote name='beefytwinkie']I am reading though the forum and noticed a lot of people talking about a "Potato Pack". It looks like a lot of people are waiting for this but it has not come about yet. What is this "Potato Pack" supposed to be?[/QUOTE]

Indie Potato Pack (yes, that's what it's called, don't ask me): AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Audiosurf, Bit.Trip Beat, Braid, Cogs, Defense Grid, Killing Floor, Red Orchestra, Super Meat Boy, The Ball, The Wonderful End of the world, Toki Tori

no word on what the price of it will be when if does come

[quote name='Sporadic']no word on what the price of it will be when if does come[/QUOTE]
I think it's the Steam sale equivalent of the Cow Level in the original Diablo.

[quote name='bobphone']2 hours in and the OP isn't updated?[/QUOTE]
Firstly if you want to know whats on sale just look it up yourself. Second the OP doesn't just post whats on sale he posts links for reviews of the game so people can make a better decision(as well as some personal recommendations). He is spending his time to help everyone and deserves a little more appreciation and not people complaining about how long he is taking.

I haven't said this yet but thanks OP. I appreciate all you are doing for your fellow cags.

[quote name='Hunter_Silver']Firstly if you want to know whats on sale just look it up yourself. Second the OP doesn't just post whats on sale he posts links for reviews of the game so people can make a better decision(as well as some personal recommendations). He is spending his time to help everyone and deserves a little more appreciation and not people complaining about how long he is taking.

I haven't said this yet but thanks OP. I appreciate all you are doing for your fellow cags.[/QUOTE]

x2

Still debating on Mafia II or Mafia II: Digital Deluxe Edition. If I could easily get the UK price on Mafia II standard I'd get it already but the Deluxe looks ok and is a little cheaper then UK which would make me feel a little better I can't get UK price lol. Will definatly get one of the versions though.

I kinda want the DLC also but I'm not sure how much more I want to spend because there is a few games I want on the last day of the sale and I've been spending a lot on games and going out the past few months...

Possible ast day pickups:
Woody Two-Legs Attack of the Zombie Pirates $2.49
Medieval II Total War $7.49
Elven Legacy Collection $7.49
Sid Meier's Pirates! $2.49

[quote name='Otimus']To anyone considering Company of Heroes:

Company of Heroes Online is free, and basically has the entire single player of the original and expansions AND the multiplayer plus expansions with some tweaks.

I'm not dissing on CoH. I bought it back when, and I love it. But, well, CoHO is free :x

http://www.companyofheroes.com/[/QUOTE]

so what's the catch? why would THQ offer the entire game (original + expansions) for free? :roll:

[quote name='bobphone']2 hours in and the OP isn't updated?[/QUOTE]

You do know today is New Year Day, right? He could be busy with other stuff IRL.

[quote name='greydt']It's fun - feels like a racing game except that you're plummeting forward :). The levels are short (maybe 1-2 minutes), but it's the replayability in trying to get a better score for that level (you try to hit point bars, trying to skim the surface as close as possible, etc. I was surprised by how "busy" it can get trying to maximize the score) - you might end up spending ALOT of time on one level because you think you can just do a little better than before.

I played it initially because of the sweepstakes to get the ticket, but ended up having fun with it. (same with Chime, which is also addictive)[/QUOTE]
thanks. read a few more reviews on metacric, looks good. decided to buy.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']In case anyone missed it, there is a Frozenbyte pack, including Shadowgrounds, Shadowgrounds Survivor, and Trine (all FANTASTIC games), on sale for just $5.99:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6957/

This one just went up recently, so it's easy to miss.[/QUOTE]
was thinking about pickin up trine, this makes it easier.
before i buy, has trine been on any of the daily sales? or been cheaper than $5?

[quote name='kosmos13x']I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Dragon Knight Saga. Larian worked their asses off to vastly remake/improve divinity 2 (along with throwing in an expansion in the pack). The story is stellar, the graphics are great, the voice acting is wonderful. I cannot stress this enough.

Yes I know where is a drm limit atm on the game, but larian pretty much said they understand the frustration and are looking to remove that in a future date.

Of course it is up to everyone's opinion of what they like and what they want to spend their money on, but if you are looking for a great adventure - action RPG with a dev studio that still cares about their customers and the quality of their games, please support these guys so that they can release more high quality games in the future :D[/QUOTE]

well after reading this review, I don't know if it worth the admission price.
http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/12/20/review-divinity-2-dragon-knight-saga/

While the first Divinity was a tepid Diablo clone with a generic story, it was still passable when it came to the presentation and gameplay. Divinity 2 Draogn Knight Saga completely fails on almost every level, and that's after a reissue with enhanced graphics and rebalanced gameplay. We fear what the original game is like if this is the far more playable version. This is a game that only the most dedicated of hack and slash players should play, even if there were elements of the game that were approached with a remote amount of care.

I think I will wait until it drop to $5.

Woohoo bought all of the Mafia 2 DLC! One of last years most underrated gems. I know a lot of folks thought it was "meh" but I loved it and I'm really looking forward to playing Joe's Adventure (Jimmy's not so much but its still more Mafia).

[quote name='agentghost']so what's the catch? why would THQ offer the entire game (original + expansions) for free? :roll:[/QUOTE]Check your facts again Company of Heroes online does not have any singleplayer modes. And no Company of Heroes online does not have any of the expansion packs. And Company of Heroes online is not even final yet its still in beta I think, So playing online would be a lot easier and funner on Company of Heroes Retail. And one last thing is MODS, Company of Heroes online has no mod support.

[quote name='Cornkrise']Check your facts again Company of Heroes online does not have any singleplayer modes. And no Company of Heroes online does not have any of the expansion packs. And Company of Heroes online is not even final yet its still in beta I think, So playing online would be a lot easier and funner on Company of Heroes Retail. And one last thing is MODS, Company of Heroes online has no mod support.[/QUOTE]

I believe the original CoH campaign is playable through CoH online.

Wow Settlers looks pretty cool, and I can stomach some DRM, but that is freaking ridiculous. Hasn't Ubi already learned their lesson?

Gonna pass.

[quote name='Mooby']The fact that they call the first Divinity (Divine Divinity) a 'tepid Diablo clone' makes me seriously question their ability to judge a game.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The review responses were pretty heated, too. I usually base my purchases on multiple reviews, comments, etc. and it seems to me that the BigDownload review is a bit of an anomaly. In general, DKS has gotten favorable reviews, especially for those who like this type of game.

Of course, appeal is subjective, so your mileage may vary, yadda, yadda as usual folks :D

Me? I'm going to pick the game up after reading someone's earlier comments in this thread and reading other reviews. Wish me luck :D

[quote name='bigant262']How much is Mafia 2 in the UK?[/QUOTE]

Mafia II -
$ 49.99 $ 12.49
£ 19.99 £ 4.99 » $ 7.75 (-37.95%)
€ 39.99 € 9.99 » $ 13.35 (+6.89%)

Mafia II: Digital Deluxe Edition -
$ 59.99 $ 14.99
£ 39.99 £ 9.99 » $ 15.51 (+3.47%)
€ 49.99 € 12.49 » $ 16.69 (+11.34%)

[quote name='doodofdoods']Elven Legacy Collection is/was $3.75 on Amazon's download store.[/QUOTE]

nice, thanks for the info!
http://www.amazon.com/Elven-Legacy-..._1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1293915706&sr=8-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back