Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sp8001']I am wondering what you guys think of the Kids Pack to those that have purchased and played some of them...

Rush is great fun, so I am going to get Toki Tori regardless. I love my puzzle games. So it's either the pack for $5 or single game for $1.25.

Would rather not have the stupid horse game in my list, but its not going to annoy me or anything since my list is getting rather huge lol. It will be well hidden amongst the others ;)

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks[/QUOTE]

ROFL! I didn't even realize there was a horse game in the pack! I saw Toki Tori, Max & TMM, The Crayon Physics game and I was sold. Such a great deal! I even checked out Delve Deeper but I completely glossed over Secret of the Magic Crystalis. That game will be ignored unless I'm absolutely bored and want to have a laugh.

Looks like I'll finally bite on the pack since I'm buying AaAaaa and Zeno Clash (finally on sale) already and it seems like a waste to spend less than $10 on Steam lol.

I'll wait on Mafia II and DLC since I already have it for consoles. It's a fun game that wanna overlooked but I recommend it for that price.

Hopefully this is the last of my purchases. :whistle2:#

[quote name='Mooby']You can't play Opposing Force or Blue Shift without the original Half-Life (non source version).[/QUOTE]

Okay. I didn't see anything saying that it was required, though.

I went ahead and bought Half-Life Complete. I've never even played a Half-Life game before, but after all the good things I've heard about them, I figured for $6 it was worth a shot.

[quote name='GameDude79']I went ahead and bought Half-Life Complete. I've never even played a Half-Life game before, but after all the good things I've heard about them, I figured for $6 it was worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

Your get $6 worth of fun out of them and way more.

I am glad I bought PvZ, just finished the adventure mode in 7 hours. Now the game has a few other modes to offer, and I loved the music video. Well worth the $4, and probably retail in my opinion, I really enjoyed it.

Also anyone upset they missed something? I'm kinda sad I didn't pick up the red alert command and conquer games. But I'm holding out hope they might reappear tomorrow if its a recap day.

[quote name='iso135']I am glad I bought PvZ, just finished the adventure mode in 7 hours. Now the game has a few other modes to offer, and I loved the music video. Well worth the $4, and probably retail in my opinion, I really enjoyed it.[/QUOTE]

Have you seen this video? She made the music. There is a cameo from the designer of pvz too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqpMFsnN7hM

[quote name='Terlan']Also anyone upset they missed something? I'm kinda sad I didn't pick up the red alert command and conquer games. But I'm holding out hope they might reappear tomorrow if its a recap day.[/QUOTE]

I wish I had picked up super meat boy, I didn't think I would like it. But, of course I try the demo on 360 the day after the repeat sale it was in and found out I loved it. Might still pick it up for $7.50.

[quote name='wasabi5858']Have you seen this video? She made the music. There is a cameo from the designer of pvz too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqpMFsnN7hM[/QUOTE]

Pretty cool, I thought it fit really well to play that right after you won the adventure mode. I am playing some of the mini-games and stuff now, but am not sure how long I can hold out before re-starting the adventure mode!

I'm sorry if I missed this, but does anyone know how much Settlers 7 is in for Euro? Is it cheaper then for us in the US?

[quote name='Terlan']Also anyone upset they missed something? I'm kinda sad I didn't pick up the red alert command and conquer games. But I'm holding out hope they might reappear tomorrow if its a recap day.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I missed out on the bonus deal with Dead Rising 2. If I'd have been paying attention I could have bought it for $14.99. When it came back as an encore deal they dropped the bonus and it was just $19.99.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Anybody play Republic Commando on PC? Is it worth the $5?[/QUOTE]

I played the xbox version on my 360 and loved it. I'm a big star wars fan so I'm sure that helped but I thought it was really well done. If your a SW fan I think 5 bucks is well worth it.

EDIT: wow I didn't know Crayon Physics is in the kids pack for 5 bucks. It looks like I'll have to pick that up. I've always wanted that game.

[quote name='gunstar808']Metro was on sale during the Treasure Hunt, don't think it was a holiday deal, iirc.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thats right. Sorry for the confusion, was supposed to be 11/29. :)

[quote name='CountChoculitis']???!!! I dont remember seeing it. That was last Wednesday so I might have been on the road that whole day and missed it.......[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Cornkrise']I have also missed it, It must have been hidden or something, because I'm pretty sure I would have remembered seeing it somehow.
[/QUOTE]

I don't think it was $10 on the 29th of December. It was $10 during that Treasure Hunt thing on December 14th where Steam had new deals every two days. I'm sure it will drop again. Maybe next time it goes on sale it will be even cheaper than $10. Hopefully you guys have enough games to keep you occupied until then! I know I sure do.

With tomorrow being the last day of the sale, and probably a repeat of this week, are there any deals that aren't daily that are worth buying? Obviously I looked at the OP post and his recommendations (so far PB Winterbottom is the only one I see that I want), but I was wondering if anybody else had any strong feelings on any games that weren't featured this year. Thanks.

I want to try sid meier's pirates for $2.50. You can also find a list from the steam forums a few pages back, that has many from the OP, and many more.

[quote name='sotc1988']With tomorrow being the last day of the sale, and probably a repeat of this week, are there any deals that aren't daily that are worth buying? Obviously I looked at the OP post and his recommendations (so far PB Winterbottom is the only one I see that I want), but I was wondering if anybody else had any strong feelings on any games that weren't featured this year. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

We have until Monday at 10 AM PST to buy any leftovers right?

Got Half Life 1 Anthology today. I already had Half Life, but I didn't have the expansions or Team Fortress Classic, and it was cheaper to just grab the pack than everything seperately. It's too bad I couldn't gift Half Life though.

And I wanted Zeno Clash, but like a couple other things I wanted, it runs miserably on my laptop. I'm thinking my laptop's trying to stop me from spending much more. lol

[quote name='oscargrouch']I wonder what games will get the best of treatment. I can't remember anything I was on the fence about that I hope comes back.[/QUOTE]
If they go GTA4 complete again, I'll probably bite this time.

Snagged Half Life anthology and Half Life 2 Deathmatch. Hope for some good repeats tomorow. Would like to grab the Monkey Island pack if it goes for 3.75 again.

[quote name='sotc1988']With tomorrow being the last day of the sale, and probably a repeat of this week, are there any deals that aren't daily that are worth buying? Obviously I looked at the OP post and his recommendations (so far PB Winterbottom is the only one I see that I want), but I was wondering if anybody else had any strong feelings on any games that weren't featured this year. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Vegas
Ceville
Sid Meier's Railroads
Evil Genius
Ghost Master
Vegas Make It Big
Freedom Force 1 and 2
Everyday Genius
Puzzler World
Megnetics
Tropico Reloaded
Patrians 3 Pack
Port Royale 2
Majesty Gold
Children of the Nile pack
Armed and Dangerous
Commandos Collection
Sherlock Holmes Pack

Picked up Mafia II on Amazon a few days ago for $12.50 (already finished, took me about 19 hours...great, great game), so I just picked up all the DLC for it. Also nabbed Sid Meier's Pirates for $2.49.

One more day to go...

Only thing I purchased from this sale so far was PB Winterbottom...the sale the other day w/ Dead Space, Amnesia, & PVZ was the best day IMHO. Figures that on that day I was waiting on people to pay for their ebay auctions & a restaurant fucked up & charged my paypal card TWICE. Ah well...

Anyone know how well COH works via Steam? I have the DVD version but never ended up playing it because the patch system is so brutal and terrible. If Steam handles the patching and does it well, I'd pay three bucks to finally get to play it.

Since the sale is winding down to a close, and no doubt so will this thread, I have a question to ask.

When you buy a game on steam, do you buy it with the plan of playing it until you complete it, or do you just buy it because of the cheap price and so it is worth a few hours gameplay?

The reason I ask is that I have bought a few games in this sale, and I already have a large backlog of games, but (almost) every game I play I won't quit until I complete it (unless I really hate it) from Witcher to Strong Bad, if I start it, I will finish it. I guess that is why I only end up playing a dozen or so games a year.

So, I think I'm done XD.

I got
P.B Winterbottom .49
Oddboxx - 12.49 (I think it was)
The Witcher - 5.00
FEAR 1 Complete - 2.49
C&C:RA3 - 5.00
Super Meat Boy 3.75
Civilization IV Complete - 6.24
and Amnesia: the Dark Descent. - Meh, I forget...4.80?

I also picked up BttF for me and my mom wanted Bejeweled 2 Deluxe. The only game that is on my radar now is Pirates!. I'd hope for a GTAIV Complete repeat, but my comptuer would shrivel up and die underneath the aewsomeness of that (The Witcher lags at some places!).

I think it's a little less than my haul from last year, but I stayed way under my budget. Thanks Steam.
EDIT: Ok, I bit on the Indie Beat pack, mainly for Rhythm Zone and Bit.Trip Beat

(P.S. The HL2 sale today? It's epic. I didn't play HL2 until earlier this (well, last year I guess) year, and it's only the 2nd FPS game I've really enjoyed in the past decade (Portal being the other, if you count it as such))

And to answer the post above me: I buy them to have them. It's nice to have variety, and it's nice to know that if I want to play it, it's there. I do intend to play and complete a great deal of them, but a great deal of them I'll play until I get bored - but at least at these insane prices, I won't feel bad I bought a game I didn't like.

I bought the witcher full price shortly after it came out and it was worth every penny. I only played through it once but man was it a ride. $5 a steal!

[quote name='Zipomatic2']Since the sale is winding down to a close, and no doubt so will this thread, I have a question to ask.

When you buy a game on steam, do you buy it with the plan of playing it until you complete it, or do you just buy it because of the cheap price and so it is worth a few hours gameplay?

The reason I ask is that I have bought a few games in this sale, and I already have a large backlog of games, but (almost) every game I play I won't quit until I complete it (unless I really hate it) from Witcher to Strong Bad, if I start it, I will finish it. I guess that is why I only end up playing a dozen or so games a year.[/QUOTE]

A little of both. There were only a few games this go around (not including the Treasure Hunt) that I bought "brand new" - most of the games I buy from Steam on the cheap are games I own on disc, but enjoy the convenience of digital download. These include the JK series, HL, Deus Ex, and the Lucasarts adventure games. The games I buy new get lumped into the backlog, but they're so cheap I don't feel ripped off I don't get to them immediately. I bought Zeno Clash back in the spring and still only pick away at it, but it was fun enough that I didn't feel any guilt.

I was like you, once, in that if I bought a game I felt compelled to beat it. More recently I've found myself playing something for a few hours and then trying something else to include non-game related stuff. It adds to the backlog, but unfortunately unless I get vacation days or a game REALLY hooks me (New Vegas was the last one), I don't feel compelled to finish straight through. That's not true for all of the games, but mostly the newer ones that I've never played. When I DO have a lot of time off, then I start to really dedicate time to games that I haven't beaten. Case in point, right now I have one day off and have finished up Sam and Max Season 3 and hopefully start/finish Jolly Rover.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xHOJUx']I was holding out for the Divinity II games... it's my lucky day :).[/QUOTE]

Same here, friend :) I was about to buy it for the $26 Steam and D2D had it at but I'm glad I also waited. It's taking a long time to download, though. I started at 1pmPST and it's still got 1.75GB left to go currently at 9:30pmPST. I live very close to Seattle by the way :\ Guess evereyone is getting their sale on today, so no biggie.

I just bit on Half-Life Complete Collection...with L4D/L4D2 in my library, it came out to $5.99. That's too good to pass up, even if its the second time I buy both HL's.

[quote name='AXV1']Thinking about getting Half-Life Complete...

Is it worth $5.99?[/QUOTE]

HL and HL2 are classic games, while TFC Classic should be fun to go back to, if anyone still plays it.

That would be awesome if they did a full recap of all the sales but a highly doubt they will. I know I would pick up a bunch of games I passed on cause I was wary of spending too much with the sale still going on for awhile.

Metro 2033 I just missed somehow so if they brought that back for $10 I would be happy. All others I can definitely wait on but I think I was driving home from Florida during the Metro sale and that is the only game I have left that I was planning on picking up during this christmas sale.

Hoping for Fallout 3 GOTY to come back on sale. I know it was last week, but there is still a chance. I'll still pick it up if it doesn't come back, but a few dollars off would make it a lot better.

[quote name='spwango']Anyone know how well COH works via Steam? I have the DVD version but never ended up playing it because the patch system is so brutal and terrible. If Steam handles the patching and does it well, I'd pay three bucks to finally get to play it.[/QUOTE]
Yes, steam automates the process and its painless. This a complaint I hear all the time about the series. It's also good to note that if you have a retail copy you can use that in your CoH account to unlock the campaigns. Then no matter which of the CoHs you buy off steam the content is accessible.

[quote name='agentghost']Company of Heroes doesn't require internet to play single player. You can LAN w/o internet also.

Good God.. it said "internet required" right below the requirement for multiplayer (of course, how else can you play with other people online?) and some people automatically assume that THQ has the same DRM "Permanent Internet Requirement" like Ubisuck.

This is not to bash anyone.. I just want to clear up the misunderstanding and misinformation. COH is a beautiful well-crafted game. It has no DRM (asides from Steam) At this price, it is a steal!!!! :)[/QUOTE]

It must just be those of us who failed to divine the subtleties of
"Internet connection required for single-player and multiplayer play"

on the item page that made this silly mistake. Thanks!

(for the record, I bought the first two either way...)

[quote name='AXV1']Thinking about getting Half-Life Complete...

Is it worth $5.99?[/QUOTE]

Why do you play video games again?

[quote name='Zipomatic2']Since the sale is winding down to a close, and no doubt so will this thread, I have a question to ask.

[/QUOTE]

In my case, although I apparently have a collecting compulsion, I tell myself I'm buying these games to play. (Unless they just came in a bundle or pack with the thing I wanted to play. If Uplink is $4.99 with and without 4 additional games, might as well get the extra games just in case, no?)

If I actually get around to starting one of the games I bought to play, I usually see it through to an ending, but actually digging in instead of just playing more of something interminable like TF2 is the trick here...

As for the couple hours of play part, some friends and I follow the SilVER, or Silicon's Value Entertainment Ratio, which says for every dollar you spend on entertainment, you should get one hour of entertainment back. Going to the movies? Bad deal. $5 game on steam? Better take at least 5 hours to complete! Orange Box (at full retail launch price)? Best SilVER purchase I've ever made.

[quote name='Distrato']Why do you play video games again?[/QUOTE]

I don't, I just buy them so people think I'm cool.

But I'll take your response as a "yes it is worth $5.99"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back