Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='paulcalypse']I'm looking at Deus Ex now. How often does that game go on sale? It's old, so $5 seems like a bit much for it. What do you all think?

I've never played it...is it amazing?[/QUOTE]

I thought it was alright, but a lot of people can't get past the outdated graphics. Basically if you don't mind how bad it looks, you'll probably like it.

What the heck, I'll list my haul too.

I just recently upgraded my computer and for the first time in my life, I have a computer capable of playing most games. As a result, before the sale started I only had a few games on my steam account. So I didn't find myself being in the position of passing on games because I already had them.

Listed from least to most expensive.

Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom $0.49
CivCity: Rome $0.99
FlatOut2 $1.00
Railroad Tycoon II: Platinum $1.24
Evil Genius $1.49
Sniper Elite $1.49
Defense Grid: The Awakening $2.00
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin $2.49
Hitman: Blood Money $2.49
Sid Meier's Pirates! $2.49
Shatter $2.50
Blue Toad Murder Files $3.00
Super Meat Boy $3.75
Grand Ages: Rome Gold $4.00
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 $4.99
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising $4.99
Indie Adventure Pack $4.99
Indie Fantasy Pack $4.99
Indie Fright Pack $4.99
Indie Mix Pack $4.99
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP + SoC $4.99
Torchlight $4.99
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition $5.00
Railworks 2 $6.00
Command and Conquer: Tiberium Wars $7.49
X3: Gold $8.50
Doom Pack $8.74
King's Bounty: Collection $8.74
FEAR Complete Pack (NA) $9.99

Total $123.80

I had been planning to buy the Indie Heavy Hitters pack as well, but after all that I spent, I don't think that I can justify the additional $20. There will be other sales.

My haul this year:
Winterbottom - $.49
Deus Ex Collection - $2.99
Killing Floor Bundle - $6.95
Machinarium - $2.99
Rush - $1.69
Swords & Soldiers - $2.50
Flight Control - $1.70
AAaaaA: Reckelss Disregard for Gravity - $2.50
Railroad Tycoon Platinum - $1.24
Tropico Reloaded - $1.74

Total spent - $24.79 or $2.48 average for 10 purchases, many of which were bundles. Well done. :applause:

Best buy: Either Machinarium or Swords & Soldiers because I had planned on buying them so long ago at higher prices, but waited out until they were low enough for me to bite.

Worst Buy: Deus Ex collection, only because I bought Deus Ex GOTY for $1.50 one month earlier. I basically paid $3 for just the 2nd game (Invisible War) instead of $5.

Most random buy: Flight Control. I had never heard of it before, but bought it because of all the CAG recommendations.

[quote name='paulcalypse']I'm looking at Deus Ex now. How often does that game go on sale? It's old, so $5 seems like a bit much for it. What do you all think?

I've never played it...is it amazing?[/QUOTE]

It is one of the best FPS RPGs. You actually have a lot of choice in how to get through levels, how to build your character, and how it affects how you play. Yes the graphics are old, it's a 10 year old game, but it still has a decently unique look. The story is a great cyperpunk/conspiracy theory story, and the voice acting is a mix of good and cheesy-in-a-good-way. I highly suggest getting it, but if it's just gonna get added to a backlog, I'd say wait because Steam has had both Deus Ex plus it's sequel in packs for 2 or 3 dollars for daily deals in previous sales, and would likely happen again in the summer sale if not before.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']It is one of the best FPS RPGs. You actually have a lot of choice in how to get through levels, how to build your character, and how it affects how you play. Yes the graphics are old, it's a 10 year old game, but it still has a decently unique look. The story is a great cyperpunk/conspiracy theory story, and the voice acting is a mix of good and cheesy-in-a-good-way. I highly suggest getting it, but if it's just gonna get added to a backlog, I'd say wait because Steam has had both Deus Ex plus it's sequel in packs for 2 or 3 dollars for daily deals in previous sales, and would likely happen again in the summer sale if not before.[/QUOTE]

Particularly since the new Deus Ex game is coming out soon. I would expect another deal around then.

[quote name='johnny konami']I asked about it a couple pages back. If you get it, post what you think! I'd love to hear your opinion on it. Same goes for Emerald City Confidential, another point and click adventure game - if anyone has played it, post your impressions. That's also 2.50.[/QUOTE]

ceville was ok, I didn't care for the king character and some of the puzzles were arbitrary. Emerald City was the better game, especially if interested in that subject matter.

Half-Life 2: Episode One, Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Serious Sam HD: SE
Borderlands DLC Claptrap
Overlord Complete Pack
Winterbottom
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Super Meat Boy

And Bioshock 2 over on Amazon.com.

Can't say I was as thrilled this year as last year, but there were still some good deals to be had. Super Meat Boy is the stand-out sale for me. I'd been holding off just in case it was in the holiday sales, and the Claptrap DLC is another one I was hoping to see.

Passed on Witcher last year, so looking forward to playing it this time around. Would have liked Steam to put Bioshock 2 down to $5, but I'd been holding out for that price and Amazon beat them to it.

$9.99 Mass Effect -will play0
$9.99 Mass Effect 2 (It was 24.99 in my region, so paypal gift someone to help me buy) -will play-
$0.49 Winterbottom
$1.50 Puzzle Quest
$5.10 Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light -will play-
$5.00 Burnout Paradise
$1.88 Madball (part of a Fourpack)
$3.75 Super Meat boy -will play-
$1.50 Everyday Genius
$2.50 Clones
$2.00 Defense Grid
Total $43.7

Not forgetting Humble Bundle #1 + #2 too

Alpha Protocol: $7.50
Amnesia the Dark Descent: $4.80
Battlefield Bad Company 2: $6.80
Borderlands GOTY: $18
Bully Scholarship Edition: $4
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway: $5
F.E.A.R. Collection: $10
PB Winterbottom: $0.49
Overlord Collection: $3
Mafia 2 + Joe's Adventures and Jimmy's Vendetta: $17.50

Total: ~$77

Today I was just using the end of some gift cards I'd gotten for Christmas, so I just grabbed Ankh 2 and Shattered Union.

Anyway, my final list:

Ankh 2: Heart of Osiris - $1.99
Blueberry Garden - $0.99
Caster - $0.99
F.E.A.R. - $2.49
FlatOut - $1.49
FlatOut 2 - $1.00
Half Life 1 Anthology - $3.74
Hitman: Codename 47 - $2.49
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - $5.10
Madballs in Babo: Invasion - $2.50
Magnetis - $0.50
Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom - $0.49
RUSH - $1.69
Serious Sam Gold Pack - $3.99
Shattered Union - $0.49
Super Meat Boy - $3.75

Total - $33.69

Gifted:
FlatOut - $0.75
FlatOut 2 - $1.00
Killing Floor - $4.99
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - $5.10
Machinarium - $2.99

Total - $14.83

I'd also bought some things over on GOG this year and Phantasy Star Portable 2 off the PSN sale.

I wanted a couple indie packs, but my backlog's really too huge now. On Steam alone, I've got around ~65 games, a lot of which aren't even installed yet. Terrible, I know. >.

Anyone know if the 2 Shadowgrounds games from Frozenbyte work well on Windows 7? I already have Trine on PS3 and PC so I'm trying to make a judgment about the Frozenbyte Collection just based on the Shadowgrounds games.

So I already own The Void, and with that knowledge out there, anyone wanna talk me into getting the Indie Fright Pack?

[quote name='johnny konami']I asked about it a couple pages back. If you get it, post what you think! I'd love to hear your opinion on it. Same goes for Emerald City Confidential, another point and click adventure game - if anyone has played it, post your impressions. That's also 2.50.[/QUOTE]

I'm just baffled by some of those. I almost bought a 'hidden object adventure' just to see, because it sounds absurd that a sub-genre has developed specifically out of what used to be dismissed as horrible game design, ie pixel hunting.

arghhh I can't believe I missed the Mass Effect 1 deal, and sad that it's not on today =( it's the only game I want to play right now, anyone know where I can get it for a good price (better than Steam's current price of $14.99)?

Mafia II
Mafia II DLC - Jimmys Vendetta
Mafia II DLC - Greaser
Mafia II DLC - Renegade
Mafia II DLC - Vegas
Mafia II DLC - War Hero
Mafia II DLC Joe's Adventures
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Plants vs. Zombies
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Borderlands DLC Claptrap
Lara Croft: GOL
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition
Red Faction
Tropico 3: Absolute Power
Mass Effect 2
FEAR Complete Pack
Super Meat Boy
P.B. Winterbottom

Total: $80.30

Not bad at all. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but considering all I got, well worth it.

I gifted a bunch of packs to friends as Christmas gifts. I don't think I bought much for myself: Kings bounty Witcher Mass effect 2 Super meat boy

[quote name='diishen']arghhh I can't believe I missed the Mass Effect 1 deal, and sad that it's not on today =( it's the only game I want to play right now, anyone know where I can get it for a good price (better than Steam's current price of $14.99)?[/QUOTE]

EA Store - $8.37

Thanks for the feedback. He was decribed as similar to Rowan Atkinson's Black Adder character in another review that I read, so chances are I will dig it. The Oz theme of ECC might even intrigue my gf. I picked up both. Can never have enough old school adventure games! Here's hoping A Vampires Tale comes to Steam also. Not to mention all the missing Lucasarts games like Day of the Tentacle, the original Sam N max, Full Throttle.. you get the idea. :)

Hope Santa Gabe got everybody the sales they wanted during the Steam Sale. That's it for me though, had a good haul which I won't bother to list.

Happy New Years! Start saving for that summer sale...

[quote name='vherub']ceville was ok, I didn't care for the king character and some of the puzzles were arbitrary. Emerald City was the better game, especially if interested in that subject matter.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheLongshot']Particularly since the new Deus Ex game is coming out soon. I would expect another deal around then.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! You guys are a great help.

do the regular deals throughout the year get as good as the end of year sale? I missed out on bad company 2 and Im wrestling with whether to pick it and the vietnam expansion at 30 before the sale ends. I maxed out everything in my roommate's ps3 version so I know i enjoy the game.

Anyone?[quote name='Wargamer']The indie game of the day is Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes for $2.99, normally 20 bucks. Description reads : "Grotesque Tactics* combines the features and clichés of Western and Asian console RPGs like Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics and provides a highly addicting and entertaining change to the current, more serious role playing games. The game is focused on providing the fascination of the Strategy RPG genre, but also weaves a humorous storyline and plenty of amusing dialogue, poking fun at some of the most successful RPGs, such as Oblivion, Final Fantasy and Lord of the Rings.

To protect the kingdom from the merciless cult "The Dark Church" which has murdered all of the kingdom’s heroes and knights, you will have to hire dubious soldiers and rescue jealous maidens who will follow you into combat as your groupies. Up to 10 heroes are deployed in tactical battles to take on the Dark Church with their mysterious special abilities.

*In chess, a Grotesque is a problem or endgame study which features a particularly unlikely initial position, especially one in which White fights with a very small force against a much larger black army. Grotesques are generally intended to be humorous
".

I am very temped. Anyone know of it? Can you play it on a pad?[/QUOTE]Also, don't forget, if anyone has a gift copy of Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, I want one. It was $5 as a daily deal, I'll pay a bit extra.

[quote name='Wargamer']Anyone have a gift copy of Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale? It was $5 as a daily deal, I'll pay a bit extra.[/QUOTE]

Just FYI, it was actually $6.80 when it was on sale. I remember because I thought it was a weird price. :p

[quote name='DietPoopSoda']Just FYI, it was actually $6.80 when it was on sale. I remember because I thought it was a weird price. :p[/QUOTE]

I swear it was $5...lol

I just started playing Armed and Dangerous again after putting it down ten years ago. Holy crap, that game is a riot. Still as funny as I remember! Best $2.49 I spent on this sale!

Indie Beat Pack - $4.99
Super Meat Boy - $3.75
Shattered Union - $0.49
FEAR: Ultimate Shooter Edition - $2.49
Battlefield Bad Company 2 - $6.79
Beat Hazard iTunes DLC - $1.00
Mass Effect 2 - $9.99
Cities XL - $4.99
Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY - $7.50
Half-Life 1 Anthology - $2.24
Grotesque Tactics - $2.99
Stalker Bundle - $4.99
Indie Fright Pack - $4.99

Total - $57.20
Not including the Beat Hazard DLC, that's $2.68/game. I'm happy with how everything worked out.

I've only played a couple of the games so far, but I've enjoyed Super Meat Boy and Beat Hazard a lot.

Dead Space - 6.80
Mass Effect 2 - 9.99
Fear pack - 9.99
Batman:AA - 7.49
Killing Floor - 4.99
Indie fear pack - 4.99
Amnesia - 4.80
Winterbottom - 0.49
HL2:EP2 - 1.19
Half Life - 1.49
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate - 24.99
The Witcher - 4.99

$81.00

Wow.... I told myself I would spend like 30 bucks and that's what I come out with. Oh well at least I won't have to worry about having something to do.

Battlefield Bad Company 2
Company of Heroes Gold
Crysis Maximum
Defense Grid: The Awakening
FEAR Complete Pack
King Arthur Pack
Mass Effect 2
Mirror's Edge
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands - Digital Deluxe Edition (with Sands of Time)
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Puzzle Quest
Star Wars: KOTOR
Super Meat Boy
Swords and Soldiers HD
The Deus Ex Collection
Titan Quest Gold
Torchlight

Total: $122.74 (though I do get taxed, so that added about $10 extra on top .. bah.)

[quote name='tenn_volsfan']Anyone know if the 2 Shadowgrounds games from Frozenbyte work well on Windows 7? I already have Trine on PS3 and PC so I'm trying to make a judgment about the Frozenbyte Collection just based on the Shadowgrounds games.[/QUOTE]

I dusted that one off a few months ago, and I don't remember having any issues with Win 7 (64-bit).
You should be good.

For any retro gamers out there - all the SEGA Classics packs are on sale. $5.62 per pack. 10 Games per pack. Most of them hold up pretty well, all have good controller support, and there's a nice front end to boot.

[quote name='keroppilee']do the regular deals throughout the year get as good as the end of year sale? I missed out on bad company 2 and Im wrestling with whether to pick it and the vietnam expansion at 30 before the sale ends. I maxed out everything in my roommate's ps3 version so I know i enjoy the game.[/QUOTE]

There's just about always a Weekend and Midweek Deal. Leading up to E3 last year (iirc) they ran publisher weeks and had some nice deals. The Summer Sale is a similar event to this one, though not quite as massive. Thanksgiving week had the scavenger hunt. So, yes, but the Holiday Sale is typically the biggest.

And... final haul:

Armed and Dangerous
Patricians and Merchants Pack

I went a bit overboard this year. Between games I purchased directly myself and ones CAGs helped me to get either because they cost more or aren't available in my region I picked up 103 games for $405.39. This included almost all of the higher profile games I've had my eye on for a while like Fallout 3 GOTY, Borderlands GOTY, Dawn of Discovery Gold, Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, Metro 2033, Amnesia, BF:BC2, Super Meat Boy, Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY, Dead Space, Just Cause 2 and Mafia 2 so I'm happy with the average of $3.94 per game. I also got a whole bunch of older titles to remove the guilt of pirating in the past, a few indie games and almost everything else I thought looked interesting.

Combined with the 35 (mostly in indie packs) games I got through the earlier November and December sales, not to mention the backlog I accumulated during the year, I think I'm set for the next few years. This was all pretty excessive but having legit copies of every game I might possibly want to play for the price of 4-6 games at Australian retail prices I'm very happy.

It's going to take me until the next holiday sale just to download all this stuff, let alone play it. Good times ahead.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread and a special thanks to eastx for all his effort.

I didn't get around to posting about C&C and Farcry 2 yesterday so what the hell I will today.

C&C is one of my favorite series of all time, from the original up until C&C 3. Unfortunately they decided to make Red Alert 3 cartoonish and C&C 4 flat out sucks. I wanted more than anything to like Red Alert 3 but it just wasn't good and C&C 4 is a joke. That's what you get when you don't put the proper funding or time into developing a game and on top of that try to change around core dynamics of a series.

I hope that not too many people bought C&C 4 and went into it with high hopes but thankfully if you did it was only 5 bucks. I hope the next C&C is a return to the roots of what made the games so good. Hopefully all the worst game and most disappointing game of the year nominations gets the message through.

I have Farcry 2 for PS3 and my god that game takes for freaking ever! It's a fun game but my god. I remember when it came out all the talk was between it and Fallout 3. I played it to about 50% then I couldn't deal with the lack of checkpoints anymore. Sometimes it takes a half an hour just to get to where your mission is after fighting through guard posts. And if you die anywhere along the way you are back to square one where you started from. Not fun at all especially if you get jacked up by some cheap bs. I think it's a fun game but not one you can play all the way through unless you have a lot of time on your hands and a whole lot of patience. Something I have neither of lol.

My list so far:
Battlefield Bad Company 2 $6.79
Darksiders $9.99
Day of Defeat Source $2.50
F.E.A.R. Collection $9.99
GTA IV Collection $10.00
Half-Life Complete $5.99
King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame $5.39
King's Bounty Platinum Edition $8.74
Overlord Pack $3.00

Total: $62.39

I'm thinking of getting Dead Space and Sid Meiers Pirates before the sale ends. Argh, I can't believe I passed up on Super Meat Boy! Any kind soul has an extra copy to give away? =)

Battlefield Bad Company 2 $6.79
Crysis Maximum Edition $6.74
Doom Pack $8.74
Half Life $1.49
Half Life: Blue Shift $0.74
Half Life: Opposing Forces $0.74

Total: $25.24

not a bad haul, might add Hitman: Codename Agent 47 and Hitman 2: Silent Assassin before the sale is over

My haul this year:

Dead Space
Greed Corp
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition
Super Meat Boy
FlatOut Ultimate Carnage (NA)
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
Borderlands GOTY 4-pack

Total: $48.10

I was hoping to show a little more restraint this year, but after looking back to my haul last year it looks like I came out about the same. Plus I still have time to decide whether I want to pick up the Fallout3 GOTY yet #-o

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!
The Ball
Bloody Good Time
Bullet Candy
Burn Zombie Burn
Command and Conquer 4: Tiberium Twilight
Divinity II - Dragon Knight Saga
Flight Control HD
Galcon Fusion
Geometry Wars
Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes
Guild Wars: Trilogy
Guild Wars: Eye of the North
Half-Life
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Infernal
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
The Path
Penumbra: Black Plague - Gold Edition
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Scourge Project
Super Laser Racer
Swarm Arena
Team Fortress Classic
Twin Sector
The Void
VVVVVV
Zeno Clash
Zombie Driver

Total: 141.01

It would have all been under 100 if not for Guild Wars, but I miss that game, and I really really wanted it back.

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']Battlefield Bad Company 2 $6.79
Crysis Maximum Edition $6.74
Doom Pack $8.74
Half Life $1.49
Half Life: Blue Shift $0.74
Half Life: Opposing Forces $0.74
Hitman: Codename Agent 47 $2.49
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin $2.49

Total: $30.22

not a bad haul, might add Hitman: Codename Agent 47 and Hitman 2: Silent Assassin before the sale is over[/QUOTE]

well I broke down and got both Hitman games, already have Blood Money so total now $30.22

[quote name='wedge119']I dusted that one off a few months ago, and I don't remember having any issues with Win 7 (64-bit).
You should be good.[/QUOTE]
Thanks very much for the info! I'll pick them up.

[quote name='Pheace']I don't see Evil Genius in quite a number of lists D:[/QUOTE]

It's been really cheap a few times so a few people probably already have it. Fun game though. Worth the money easily.

got 3 games, only liked 2

Mafia 2 with both DLC's = awesome game :D
Lara Croft and the Guardian of the Light = already had it on 360 but got it for me and my brother so we can play coop, he is working in another county :D
HL2 Episode 2 = did not like a bit, FPS is not my type of game but it was only 2 bucks so i just give it a try, maybe in the future i will try again

i wanted to get HL1 Anthology but i missed out by 15 minutes.

by the time i decided to pick it up since it was on my cart, the deal for the day was over.
I put Plants vs Zombies, which was the new deal for the day, and tried to pay it all together but it wouldnt accept it cause the other deal expired

;_;

Mine:
-360 wired pad for gaming on steam
-Indie Humble Bundle 1 and 2
-SimCity 4 Deluxe
-Civilization 4 Complete
-The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
-Super Meatboy
-Star Wars KOTOR
-Team Fortress 2
-Guardians of Graxia as a gift for my brother
-Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale