Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='keroppilee']do the regular deals throughout the year get as good as the end of year sale? I missed out on bad company 2 and Im wrestling with whether to pick it and the vietnam expansion at 30 before the sale ends. I maxed out everything in my roommate's ps3 version so I know i enjoy the game.[/QUOTE]

Christmas is usually the largest sale but from my experience sometimes it isn't the best deal on a particular game. For instance Defense Grid (in a pack) during Black Friday was cheaper than what was offered during the Christmas sale. Also I believe Borderlands and all it's expansions to that point were cheaper in the summer (someone can check me on that). This sale I thought BFBC2, GTAIV complete, Empire Total War Complete, Dragon Age UE, and Fallout were the toast of the sale IMHO and we wouldn't usually see that many AAA titles in the same sale. Also the whole freakin store was on sale and that pretty much happens only during the Christmas sale.

Deus Ex Pack
Flatout
Flatout 2
Half Life Anthology Pack
Winterbottom
Overlord + expansion
Civ 4 Pack
Pirates!
Super Meat Boy
Swords and Soldiers

If I counted non-Steam buys during the past couple of weeks, I'd have to list:

* Humble Indie Bundle 2 - $10 (so I could get HIB1 and give more to Child's Play)
* BFBC2: Vietnam - $4.99 w/$10 RecycleWhatever code.
* Sim City 4 Deluxe - Free due to same EA code.
* Mirror's Edge - Free ditto.

I spent less than $25 thanks to CAG!

Does anyone have an opinion on which Railroads/Railroad Tycoon game to pick up as a newcomer to the series? I remember enjoying a Dreamcast demo of RRT2 back in the day.

[quote name='BlStinger']Does anyone have an opinion on which Railroads/Railroad Tycoon game to pick up as a newcomer to the series? I remember enjoying a Dreamcast demo of RRT2 back in the day.[/QUOTE]

I just read a bunch about it and it seems like most will recommend the oldest first and then back from there. So the order would be 2 > 3 > Railroads! Unless you are a graphics buff and then it would be the opposite.

[quote name='lpburk2']Does anyone know if the Hitman games work with the XBox controller?[/QUOTE]

Can't say about the first two but I can tell you Blood Money disappointingly does not support a xbox controller or any controller for that matter, it is m/kb only. I would expect the same for the previous games.

However you could probably use third party programs to map keyboard and mouse input to your controller.

[quote name='TestType']Can't say about the first two but I can tell you Blood Money disappointingly does not support a xbox controller or any controller for that matter, it is m/kb only. I would expect the same for the previous games.

However you could probably use third party programs to map keyboard and mouse input to your controller.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. That is disappointing.

Okay I'm done.

At least I didn't go on a spending blitz like last year. There's too many to list but very disappointed that I didn't get Dragon Age: UE on Christmas.

My Haul:

Humble Bundle 1 + 2
The Ball
Serious Sam Gold Pack
Killing Floor Character Packs
Plants v Zombies
Amnesia
Winterbottom
Judge Dredd
Foreign Legion
Everday Genius
Ziro
Bad Rats
Greed
Indie Fright Pack
Indie Beat Pack
Indie Brain Pack
The Sherlock Holmes Collection:

Grand Total: 68.11 for 43 games so $1.59 per game.

Not bad.

I only got Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Lara Croft: Guardian of Light. That's what, 12 dollars? I'm impressed with myself. Although I have the Indie Fright & Smarts pack in my cart right now...

I'm going through the store now to see if there are any games I've missed other than the daily deals & indie packs.

Just out of curiosity, what games do you guys think are the "hidden gems" in this sale?

Might as well add mine:

HIB 1 + 2
Hitman: Blood Money
Tropico Reloaded
Tropico 3 Gold
Amnesia
Commandos Pack
NWN 2 Platinum
Winter Voices
Railroad Tycoon II Platinum
Sid Meier's Pirates
Monday Night Combat
Plants vs. Zombies
Winterbottom
Lego Star Wars Complete Saga
Civ IV Complete
Indie 2D Pack
HL Anthology
HL2 Ep2
Stalker Bundle
GTA IV Complete
Oblivion GOTY Deluxe
Sword and Soldiers HD
Rush
Batman: AA GOTY
Overlord Complete
The Witcher: EE
Burnout Paradise
BF:BC2
BC2 Vietnam
SMB

No idea total cost yet, but around $120.

I cleaned up. Too much, I think:

Sol Survivor
Super Meat Boy
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Burn Zombie Burn!
The Path
The Scourge Project
The Void
Zombie Driver
FEAR
FEAR: Extraction Point
FEAR: Perseus Mandate
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (I already owned this off Steam, but I love CDProjekt so much that I couldn't help tip them 5 bucks for a copy on Steam)
Disciples II Gold
Disciples III
FEAR 2: Reborn
Iron Grip: Warlord
Patricians and Merchants
King Arthur Pack
Borderlands GOTY
Star Wars: KOTOR
King's Bounty Collection
The Ball
Swords and Soldiers HD
Iron Assault
Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes
DogFighter
Everyday Shooter
Flotilla
Gratuitous Space Battles
Guns of Icarus
Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Deat
Sniper Elite
Edodus From the Earth
Call of Cthulhu
Elven Legacy Colleciton
Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood
Time Gentlemen, Please!
Bloody Good Time
Silverfall: Earth Awakening
Nation Red
Broken Sword: Director's Cut

And the backlog grows even larger...

Ended up picking up 5 of the indie packs... 2D, Brain, Fright, Future, and Kids.

Also if you passed over Magnetis because of it's cheap pricetag, like I did until last night, I would snatch it up before the sale expires. Its a fun tetris like game that is a lot better than its $0.50 price tag would lead you to believe.

Final tally...

VVVVVV
PG Winterbottom
PoP Sands of Time
PoP WW
PoP Two Thrones
PoP
PoP Forgotten Sands
The Witcher: Enhanced
Batman AA GOTY
Darksiders
Flight Control HD
HL1 Anthology
HL1 Source
Indie Kids Pack
Indie Flight Pack
Indie Future Pack
Mafia DLC
Sid Meier's Pirates

34 Games... $73.29 ... $2.15/game (not counting DLC)

My total...

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!
Plants vs. Zombies
Commander Keen Complete Pack
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP + SoC
Telltale Holiday Pack
Amnesa: The Dark Descent
Crysis Complete (NA)
Doom Pack
Star Wars: KOTOR
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Humble Indie Bundle
Puzzle Quest
The Deus Ex Collection
Winterbottom
Super Meat Boy
Humble Indie Bundle 2 - Retail
Flight Control HD
Shatter

$102.44

Haha, first steam sale for me, got caught up and didn't realize how much i spent. Oh well, that'll keep me busy for a while!

Oy, that's if for me this year. I had quite a haul, so thanks to eastx for keeping the thread updated and everyone for your help and suggestions. The game I really wanted for this sale, Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga, came in at a reasonable price. I even picked up some from my wishlist like Darksiders (which is awesome, folks). I think I'm set for the next year regarding PC games... :D

Some deals are still live, but, indeed, the website has reverted back to the normal layout; It's over.

Though many have already started, it's time to post our acquisitions and start musing about what the Summer Sale may bring.

I didn't end up getting much, most of what was on sale I already had or bought Black Friday:

Sim City 4 Deluxe - $4.99
Machinarium - $2.99
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY Deluxe - $12.49

[quote name='Sufuma']Website's back to normal.
It's sad to see it end, but my wallet is ecstatic.
All that's left now is to actually play these games.[/QUOTE]

What!!! We're supposed to play these games!!!???? Well I didn't sign up for that! Off to look for the next deal! :D

winter blossom
humble indie bundle #1 had steam games for #2 already
ai wars fleet command
super meat boy
rush
plants vs zombies
flight control hd
jedi knight bundle
commandos pack
half life anthology
republic commando
square logic
about $34

and waiting to here back form someone about kotor, missed due to originally planning to grab the star wars collection, but the jedi knight bundle was discounted to much so just grabbed that and republic commando instead.

My final haul for the sale:

Fear Complete
Super Meat Boy
PB Winterbottom
Mass Effect 1
Mass Effect 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Secret of Monkey Island SE Bundle
AI War: Fleet Command
Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum
Crysis Complete
King's Bounty Collection
Rush
Sword and Soldiers HD
Farcry 2
Dawn of Discovery Gold
Flight Control HD
Divinity 2 Dragon Knight Saga
Grotesque Tactics

Total spent - $126.03 for 30 games (including expansions as games), or $4.20per game. Not bad.

[quote name='evantrees']winter blossom
humble indie bundle #1 had steam games for #2 already
ai wars fleet command
super meat boy
rush
plants vs zombies
flight control hd
jedi knight bundle
commandos pack
half life anthology
republic commando
square logic
about $34

and waiting to here back form someone about kotor, missed due to originally planning to grab the star wars collection, but the jedi knight bundle was discounted to much so just grabbed that and republic commando instead.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for reminding me! I almost forgot to pick up Republic Commando.

Oooh, my turn!

Lara Croft x2 (gifted one for co-op)
FEAR 1
Blue Toad Murder Files
NWN 2 Plat
Fallout 3 GOTY (the big purchase)
Rush
Archon Classic
Swords & Soldiers HD
Company of Heroes
Everyday Genius: SquareLogic (at 10:30!)
Serious Sam HD: Second Encounter
Witcher (have EE on disc, but this is easier)
Winter Voices Ep 0/1 - my real find

Also got The Ball and Mafia II off Steam but activated. Compared to last year's winter sale - which was my first - I tried hard to keep my purchases this time as low as possible, and I think I did pretty good.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']What!!! We're supposed to play these games!!!???? Well I didn't sign up for that! Off to look for the next deal! :D[/QUOTE]

i know, i still have games from the summer sale that I have yet to try out...i didn't go as crazy this time...

picked up:

Operation Flashpoint $3.00
Indie 2D Pack $4.99
Indie Fright Pack $4.99
Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom $0.50
Judge Dredd $1.17
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Bundle $4.99
Sniper Elite $2.49

Have only played Operation Flashpoint, Zombie Driver (Fright Pack), and VVVVVVV (2D Pack) so far and am enjoying them...Especially Zombie Driver, I am having a blast with that game...

my haul

swords and soldiers
neverwinter nights
stalker bundle
command and conquer 4
jedi knight bundle
grotesque tactics
hinterland
plants vs zombies

total 26.95

My big problem is that I don't have enough space on my iMac's windows 7 partition to install all the games I downloaded. This makes me want to build a gaming PC :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
My haul:

Ceville
Everyday Genius: SquareLogic
Half-Life 1: Source
Half-Life 1 Anthology (had them on a different Steam account and wanted to consolidate, doh)
Half-Life: Episode 2
Plants vs. Zombies
Amnesia
Greed Corp
Swords and Soldiers
Blue Toad Murder Files
MI: SE Bundle
Dragon Age: Origins UE
Overlord Complete
Indie Fright Pack
Puzzle Quest
Super Meat Boy
Humble Bundle 2

Total: $76.19 or about $2.38/game (not including DLC).

I've only got my hands into Dragon Age and Plants vs Zombies (which I've loved, but I ended up playing too late one night and I actually had dreams/restless sleep all night that I was still playing the game, I haven't touched the game in four days since that experience, haha).

Honestly, I'm a bit upset at myself since the only game on my wishlist was Dragon Age. Oh well, the backlog grows!

Well here is my haoul for the whole sale:

Battlefield bad Company 2
BioShock 2
Crysis collection
Flight Control HD
Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich
Half Life 1 collection
Machinarium
Mafia 2 Deluex
PB Winterbottom
Monkey Island SE Collection
Neverwinter Nights 2
Plants vs Zombies
Railworks 2
Star Wars Jedi Collection
Super Meat Boy
Tropico 3 Collection
Wings of Prey

Still cant get over how much I bought, and my wife never said a word, lol. This can only mean bad things to come. There were some really great deals, need to set down and figure out how much I saved. But will have to figure in the price of a new HDD too sence I really filled it up lol.

Here's my final haul:

Killing Floor $5 - THANK YOU GRIMM for helping me out with this!
Hitman: Blood Money $2.50
Winterbottom $.50
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition $6.25
SimCity 4 Deluxe $3.30
King's Bounty: Collection $8.74
MI:SE Bundle $3.75
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition $25
Mass Effect 2 $10
Everyday Genius: SquareLogic $1.50
Bully: Scholarship Edition $3.75
MLB 2k10 $2
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition $5
Indie Kids Pack $5
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands - Digital Deluxe Edition $7.50
Indie Future Pack $5

$91.04 in total for about 30 games. So about $3 a game! Not a bad haul

I just played some of The Witcher enhanced... the game is pretty demanding for the graphics it produces. I get around average 35 to 40 fps with everything on high, 4x AA and 4xAF.

Athlon II x4
GTX 460 768mb

I have a monitor with a low resoltion...1366x768.

Final haul:

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Shattered Union
Disciples 3
The Polynomial
Clones
Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition
Mass Effect 2
Alpha Protocol
Overlord Complete Pack
Batman Arkham Asylum
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition
Monkey Island Bundle
Blue Toad Murder Files
FlatOut Ultimate Carnage
Neverwinter Nights 2 Platnium
Mirror's Edge
Serious Sam HD Double Pack
Rush
Simcity 4 Deluxe
Crysis Complete
Amnesa
Greed Corp
The Ball
Lara Croft GoL
Stalker bundle
Dawn of Discovery Gold
Flight Control HD
Guardians of Graxia
Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
Command & Conquer 3 Kane's Wrath
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising
Hitman Blood Money
Zeno Clash
Evil Genius
Need for Speed Undercover
Everyday Genius SquareLogic
Swarm Arena
Indie Kids Pack
Indie Fright Pack
Future Wars
Divinity 2 Dragon Knight Saga
Disciples 2 Gold
Penumbra Black Plague Gold Edition
Ghost Master
Grotesque Tactics
Sol Survivor
Nation red
Armed and Dangerous
Stronghold Collection
Fallout 3 GOTY
Sid Meiers Pirates

I'm set for the year lol. Only games I know I'm buying first day when they release is Dawn of War 2 Retribution and Space Marine.

Everyday Genius: SquareLogic. Bought it today at the last second and just now stopped.... It is very addicting and enjoyable.

I don't want to check everything I bought since the Black Friday/Chistmas Sale. It will probably make me cry. Although I'm sure the Indie Developers have a large grin.

[quote name='Draekon']I don't want to check everything I bought since the Black Friday/Chistmas Sale. It will probably make me cry. Although I'm sure the Indie Developers have a large grin.[/QUOTE]

Would be interesting to know how many units some of the Indie games sold.

Blood Bowl: Dark Elves Edition
Spore + Galactic Adventures
Indie Flight Pack
King Arthur Pack
Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum
Crysis Complete
Supreme Commander 2 + DLC
Far Cry 2
Jedi Knight Bundle
Grotesque Tactics

Eked out just under $70, which I'm pretty Happy with.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']My Total is $75.74. Made some judgement calls (Empire being that already own it without the DLC or Napoleon plus I bought Rome to get the Alexander expansion) and some downright impulse buys (Bioshock 2, Puzzle Quest, Jedi Knight Bundle and Republic Commando) and some stuff I really wanted before the sale started (The Witcher, Claptrap DLC to complete Borderlands). I passed on Dragon Age Ultimate Gambling that it will at least be that price or be lower about time I wish to really jump into it. Overall great sale!!!

My Haul
Indie Kids Pack - $4.99
Star Wars Republic Commando- $4.99
Jedi Knight Bundle - $5
Empire and Napoleon Total War complete $19.99
Rome Total War $7.49
Flight Control HD - $1.70
Altitude - $2.50
Battlefield 2 complete - $4.99
Borderlands Claptrap DLC $4.99
Puzzle Quest - $1.50
The Witcher - $5
Bioshock 2 -$7.50
Stalker Bundle $5[/QUOTE]

Last Minunte adds:
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom - .49
Sid Meier's Pirates! - $2.49

What games are people actually playing from the sale? Me Republic Commando and Defense Grid (Actually got it during the BF Sale)

You know, I just started playing Everyday Genius and was going to rag on it as a glorified sudoku.... but then I found myself obsessively trying to complete all the challenges in the ocean...

It is very addictive.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']What games are people actually playing from the sale? Me Republic Commando and Defense Grid (Actually got it during the BF Sale)[/QUOTE]

I'm having fun playing both PvZ and Flight Control HD at the moment, I also played a little bit of Super Meat Boy but I'll get back to it as soon as I get a gamepad. Just finished installing Civ IV I'll get started on that soon as well

[quote name='Commander0Zero']
What games are people actually playing from the sale? [/QUOTE]

I actually bought it during the BF sale (though it was on sale again this week), but I've been playing King's Bounty: The Legend and loving it. Can't wait to play the sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back