Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ribkage']Its actually a spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper. Which is one of the best pc games of all time![/QUOTE]

I was really excited until I actually watched the trailer. Graphics aren't often a deciding factor for me, but the jerky frame-rates are soooo bad. :(

[quote name='Ribkage']Its actually a spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper. Which is one of the best pc games of all time![/QUOTE]

My first thought on watching the trailer was "massive ripoff" not "spiritual successor".

[quote name='dfg']My first thought on watching the trailer was "massive ripoff" not "spiritual successor".[/QUOTE]

So what? "Ripoff" or not, would you rather we not have what is the closest we'll ever get to a Dungeon Keeper III? Because EA sure as hell isn't ever going to do it.

[quote name='Pheace']Europa Universalis is 80% off to celebrate the release of the new expansion

4 Euro for 'Complete'[/QUOTE]

I'm a sucker for a big discount, but when I looked through the Steam forums for this game and felt like there were mixed views. Can anyone that has played this game provide a recommendation to buy it or stay away from it and why?

[quote name='Pheace']Europa Universalis is 80% off to celebrate the release of the new expansion

4 Euro for 'Complete'[/QUOTE]

I might bite been wanting to try this out for forever. I believe this is the same price as the holiday sale (maybe cheaper).

EU III is a steal at that price, I'm picking up the $2 expansion pack. I'll probably wait for Divine Wind to go on sale though.

For anyone on the fence on EU III I recommend the demo on steam. The game does have a learning curve, but the demo should at least help you get a feel for how the game will go.

Wonder if I should wait for a deluxe complete EU3, hmmm maybe there will never be one since they didn't pack that $2 expansion along with the "complete" set.

[quote name='spacebooger']Anyone play A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda?
I'm thinking about picking it up.[/QUOTE]

I'm almost half done with the game (did some "grinding" for upgrades/inventory and tried to get some secrets) and can vouch for the solid gaming here. The $9 entry fee, though, is subjective. The game is the love child of Mega Man, Contra and Metroid's threesome, all in HD. Some people would say it's great but worth $5 or less, some wouldn't like it at all. Others would pay the full $10 (it's just 10% off now) and say it's more than worth it. If you like Mega Man with Contra "angles" and Metroid upgrades (mainly on weapons and movement abilities) and very slick an artsy 2D graphics, you're in.

I've spent more than the "alleged" 3 hour culmination just by the end of the 40% mark or so, just messing around harvesting parts for upgrades like I said, so you CAN find more than 3 hours here. There are collectibles (for further upgrades) and some arbitrary "database" components for character backgrounds, but it's nothing substantial. The broken English and shallow plot are meh, but harken back to NES days when that was par. The gameplay is fairly tight, I can stand by that. The 360 controller and the game's mechanics work fine with a low learning curve.

I don't regret it at $9, personally.

To add, there was a missing XNA update that they recently added. I and some others complained about the game not launching and a dev rep on the STEAM forum was there. I think our issues on release day helped sort it out.

Picked up Europa Universalis III complete and the expansion. I'll wait on the Divine Wind expansion. I've been looking forward to giving this a try.

[quote name='diishen']why does dead space show up as $10.20 for me? (66% off $29.99)

sorry for being a noob, I'm new to steam[/QUOTE]

Regional pricing. Depends where you live.

[quote name='BWS1982']I'm almost half done with the game (did some "grinding" for upgrades/inventory and tried to get some secrets) and can vouch for the solid gaming here. The $9 entry fee, though, is subjective. The game is the love child of Mega Man, Contra and Metroid's threesome, all in HD. Some people would say it's great but worth $5 or less, some wouldn't like it at all. Others would pay the full $10 (it's just 10% off now) and say it's more than worth it. If you like Mega Man with Contra "angles" and Metroid upgrades (mainly on weapons and movement abilities) and very slick an artsy 2D graphics, you're in.

I've spent more than the "alleged" 3 hour culmination just by the end of the 40% mark or so, just messing around harvesting parts for upgrades like I said, so you CAN find more than 3 hours here. There are collectibles (for further upgrades) and some arbitrary "database" components for character backgrounds, but it's nothing substantial. The broken English and shallow plot are meh, but harken back to NES days when that was par. The gameplay is fairly tight, I can stand by that. The 360 controller and the game's mechanics work fine with a low learning curve.

I don't regret it at $9, personally.

To add, there was a missing XNA update that they recently added. I and some others complained about the game not launching and a dev rep on the STEAM forum was there. I think our issues on release day helped sort it out.[/QUOTE]

I was really intrigued by the video, so I downloaded the demo and definitely had some fun with it. $9 really isn't much, but at this point, I think Steam has gotten me used to paying the least I can for games, which is a bit unfortunate. I will wait for a while to see if it drops, but if not, I'll probably just pick it up for $10 regardless. The music was great, I loved the animation, and it definitely is pretty fun. Thanks for adding a little more analysis, though, and it's good to see if you take some time grinding (which I usually do) it could potentially come out to $1 per game hour, which would be a great deal.

how often does the valve stuff, specifically orange box and the like go on sale? I know I missed the holiday sale, should have picked up the valve complete on the price mistake on the first day. I mainly want to pick up TF2 and am wondering if I should just shell out for a boxed copy of the orange box, or if it's worth waiting.

[quote name='BWS1982']I'm almost half done with the game (did some "grinding" for upgrades/inventory and tried to get some secrets) and can vouch for the solid gaming here. The $9 entry fee, though, is subjective. The game is the love child of Mega Man, Contra and Metroid's threesome, all in HD. Some people would say it's great but worth $5 or less, some wouldn't like it at all. Others would pay the full $10 (it's just 10% off now) and say it's more than worth it. If you like Mega Man with Contra "angles" and Metroid upgrades (mainly on weapons and movement abilities) and very slick an artsy 2D graphics, you're in...[/QUOTE]

Thank You for elaborating.

Demo was definitely fun, though I didn't go too far,
as the word on the street about playtime had me concerned
it would cut too deep into the copy I was just itching to buy.

Gonna throw the bread at the developer fresh out of the gate this time
instead of waiting for them to give it away later.

[quote name='mang9432']how often does the valve stuff, specifically orange box and the like go on sale? I know I missed the holiday sale, should have picked up the valve complete on the price mistake on the first day. I mainly want to pick up TF2 and am wondering if I should just shell out for a boxed copy of the orange box, or if it's worth waiting.[/QUOTE]

They go on sale occasionally throughout the year, but mainly during their summer and Winter sales. Summer sale begins around 4th of july I think.

[quote name='CreepinDeth']They go on sale occasionally throughout the year, but mainly during their summer and Winter sales. Summer sale begins around 4th of july I think.[/QUOTE]

good to know, i'll keep my eye out for a cheap retail copy in the meantime.

[quote name='Vulgarism']I was really intrigued by the video, so I downloaded the demo and definitely had some fun with it. $9 really isn't much, but at this point, I think Steam has gotten me used to paying the least I can for games, which is a bit unfortunate. I will wait for a while to see if it drops, but if not, I'll probably just pick it up for $10 regardless. The music was great, I loved the animation, and it definitely is pretty fun. Thanks for adding a little more analysis, though, and it's good to see if you take some time grinding (which I usually do) it could potentially come out to $1 per game hour, which would be a great deal.[/QUOTE]

Steam has made me that way too. I try to spend as little as possible. With all the indie pack action that we have seen over the past 2 months... I can't justify spending $9 on it ATM... I'm not saying that it isn't easily worth it... just with the sales that steam runs 10% off is a little weak... The game looks great though.

I hope the indie packs sold well and the devs are happy with the sales to let them continue.

Anyone pick up the puzzle pack during Black Friday? I picked it up and basically dismissed Tidalis but after trying it out it is one of my favorites. Very fun and addicting block breaker puzzle game. Easily worth the $10 asking price as I am 60% thru it and have put in 18 hours so far. But getting it for a dollar puts a smile on my face :) That's what CAG is all about

Greed corp on sale for $5 its 50% off for midweek madness. Anyone have any thoughts on it? The screens make it seem a little bland imo.

I want to get ARES... eventually... but like everyone else, I can't justify $9 on a short indie game atm. Too much other crap to play.

Also, those "Steam Exclusive" skins are such a joke. Probably took their artist a solid 5 minutes to change the yellow to blue and call it a new set of armor.

[quote name='Terlan']Greed corp on sale for $5 its 50% off for midweek madness. Anyone have any thoughts on it? The screens make it seem a little bland imo.[/QUOTE]

i bought it during holiday sale for $2.50. I'm still stuck in tutorial.

[quote name='Terlan']Greed corp on sale for $5 its 50% off for midweek madness. Anyone have any thoughts on it? The screens make it seem a little bland imo.[/QUOTE]

It's actually quite challenging, with a surprising amount of strategy involved. You have to balance your attacks against the fact that your land is crumbling under your feet on practically every turn.

[youtube]MNyA_4aZl3Q[/youtube][youtube]PzW39q3maRk[/youtube]

Steam Games on Sale
  • Greed Corps - $9.99 $4.99 - IGN review (360 version)
  • Apox - $14.99 $9.99
  • A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda - $9.99 $8.99
    Includes Steam exclusive armors!
    YellowSuit.png
    BlueSuit.png
  • Europa Universalis III Complete - $14.99 $4.00 - IGN review

[youtube]V9ofiDf54SE[/youtube][youtube]ODN_Y0OCUNU[/youtube]

Does anyone have any idea at what Breach is gonna be priced at, it releases on steam tomorrow. I looked around but couldn't find anything, it looks like a great game if you havent checked it out yet.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']The Penny Arcade Precipice games are the weekend deal. $2.99 for the both of them![/QUOTE]

Great deal. I bought ep 1 when it first came out on XBLA for $15. It was a lot of fun but mechanics weren't great. If you are a fan of the comic its a must buy. Please note that there are a lot of raunchy jokes though having to do with our favorite little fruit defiler.

I never played ep 2 even though I bought it. I'm debating double dipping. These prices almost seem like a mistake.

$3? Okay, I'll bite. Obviously I've wanted to try those since they were announced, but never did because of the activation. $3 though I'll try. Hope I'm not annoyed by the lack of voice or sort of crappy graphics (I'd have liked 2D...)

Sega's got a 4th collection of Genesis games up I just noticed. Wish they'd put them on GOG, but I went ahead and got it too as it's a pretty good pack.

Man I haven't bought anything from Steam in awhile, didn't get a thing during the holiday sale. I will definitely be picking up the Penny Arcade stuff though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back