Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am considering possibly buying one of these Command and Conquer games (I don't have any at all). I've ruled out C&C for because of the always online DRM. Anyone have any thoughts on the best one out of these?

[quote name='utopianmachine']I thought you always had to be online when playing Steam games?[/QUOTE]

Steam has an offline mode as well. It's a bit finicky sometimes, but for the most part it works as advertised.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I thought you always had to be online when playing Steam games?[/QUOTE]

Aside from the offline mode mentioned, the other key difference between Steam, and the "always online" DRM seen in games like C&C4 and Ubisoft games, is that Steam doesn't kick you out of the game (even singleplayer), if your connection flickers out for a few seconds.

[quote name='Mikerrrr']Steam has an offline mode as well. It's a bit finicky sometimes, but for the most part it works as advertised.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Aside from the offline mode mentioned, the other key difference between Steam, and the "always online" DRM seen in games like C&C4 and Ubisoft games, is that Steam doesn't kick you out of the game (even singleplayer), if your connection flickers out for a few seconds.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I could see how that distinction could be problematic for some people, especially for those operating wirelessly.

[quote name='hal']Should be noted: C&C 4 requirement listed - persitent online connection[/QUOTE]

Everything I heard about the game is horrible. I'm not talking about the copy protection just the game. However, it could be just purist in a fit over the changes.

Does the FEAR games ever go on sale? Anyone else just sell the copy new anymore?

My ISP is apparently "working on servers" to give us more bandwidth right now, and my Internet is a sad .60MB download. It's supposed to be 7MB down, but at the former it'd take a week to download a 17GB file.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Does the FEAR games ever go on sale? Anyone else just sell the copy new anymore?[/QUOTE]

They had the FEAR bundle (FEAR complete, FEAR2, FEAR2: Reborn DLC) as a daily deal for $10 during the holiday sale. I think you could each of them separately at 75% off as well if you didn't want the bundle.

So am I correct that all the Command & Conquer games they have on sale all have extra activation besides Steam? Looks like 3 needs activation, and 4 needs constant activation?

And why is EA so up and down with this stuff? They release some games with no activation at all-Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, Bad Company 2, etc. (all of which I've bought because of the lack of activation) and then the Command & Conquer games they throw multiple levels of activation on? What the hey?

[quote name='mr_bungle']My ISP is apparently "working on servers" to give us more bandwidth right now, and my Internet is a sad .60MB download. It's supposed to be 7MB down, but at the former it'd take a week to download a 17GB file.[/QUOTE]

That would just be 8 hours to download. And 7MB?!? That's craaaaaaazy fast. The 600+KB/s you're getting now is really really fast.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Does the FEAR games ever go on sale? Anyone else just sell the copy new anymore?

My ISP is apparently "working on servers" to give us more bandwidth right now, and my Internet is a sad .60MB download. It's supposed to be 7MB down, but at the former it'd take a week to download a 17GB file.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why people confuse this so much, probably because ISP's and computer manufacturers just want to make their bandwidth stats appear better than they are.

You have internet rated at 7 MegaBITS

You are getting .6 MegaBYTES

1 Byte = 8 Bits

So if you are getting 600kbps/s on a 7 Megabit connection you are very near your stated bandwidth allotment (875kbps) in download speed which is very good.

[quote name='mang9432']I don't know why people confuse this so much, probably because ISP's and computer manufacturers just want to make their bandwidth stats appear better than they are.

You have internet rated at 7 MegaBITS

You are getting .6 MegaBYTES

1 Byte = 8 Bits

So if you are getting 600kbps/s on a 7 Megabit connection you are very near your stated bandwidth allotment (875kbps) in download speed which is very good.[/QUOTE]

Except when I did a speediest back when we were at the rate we paid, and I was getting a 7Mb download/.5Mb upload, and now it's .60Mb and 2.Mb upload, there's nothing at all fast about that. When I was used to getting YouTube videos to finish before I could get done watching them and streaming HD on Netflix to waiting 1 minute on a 30 second clip and Internet being too slow for playback? Yeah..that pisses me off but good.

[quote name='Wolfpup']So am I correct that all the Command & Conquer games they have on sale all have extra activation besides Steam? Looks like 3 needs activation, and 4 needs constant activation?

And why is EA so up and down with this stuff? They release some games with no activation at all-Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, Bad Company 2, etc. (all of which I've bought because of the lack of activation) and then the Command & Conquer games they throw multiple levels of activation on? What the hey?

That would just be 8 hours to download. And 7MB?!? That's craaaaaaazy fast. The 600+KB/s you're getting now is really really fast.[/QUOTE]
Only C&C4 has the extra DRM. The blurb at the bottom of the other C&C games is just the normal EA legalese at the bottom of most of their games on Steam. For example, Mass Effect 2 has the same disclaimer. You should be safe so long as you avoid C&C4.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Only C&C4 has the extra DRM. The blurb at the bottom of the other C&C games is just the normal EA legalese at the bottom of most of their games on Steam. For example, Mass Effect 2 has the same disclaimer. You should be safe so long as you avoid C&C4.[/QUOTE]

Ah, okay, thanks! C&C 4 was supposed to be relatively bad compared to the other ones anyway. Guess I'll bite on the others for $5...rental priced anyway so I guess it works.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Ah, okay, thanks! C&C 4 was supposed to be relatively bad compared to the other ones anyway. Guess I'll bite on the others for $5...rental priced anyway so I guess it works.[/QUOTE]
Actually, I enjoyed C&C4 when it was in beta. From what I could tell, most of the hate was fan bile caused by the fact that the game is so radically different than previous C&C games. I've never been a big fan of C&C, so the fact that it was different did not bother me.

But still, the always-on DRM. I'm *very* hesitant to buy anything with that, which is why I didn't pick it up on the last sale, and probably won't this time.

[quote name='BitLooter']Actually, I enjoyed C&C4 when it was in beta. From what I could tell, most of the hate was fan bile caused by the fact that the game is so radically different than previous C&C games. I've never been a big fan of C&C, so the fact that it was different did not bother me.

But still, the always-on DRM. I'm *very* hesitant to buy anything with that, which is why I didn't pick it up on the last sale, and probably won't this time.[/QUOTE]

Didn't C&C4 have gameplay more like the Dawn of War 2 games? That's a plus for me, but I can understand why C&C purists would be pissed.

I haven't played DoW (yet), but I can tell you the main difference is a focus on unit management rather than base building. Your "base" is essentially a giant semi-mobile building that all your units are built at, and the goal is to capture and hold points on the map while the other team is doing the same thing. I think there may have been other ancillary building you could construct sometimes, but I never got that far; I tried asking about it, but the player base at the time was very hostile to new players. Hopefully it got more mature players with the retail release, but I couldn't say for sure.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Except when I did a speediest back when we were at the rate we paid, and I was getting a 7Mb download/.5Mb upload, and now it's .60Mb and 2.Mb upload, there's nothing at all fast about that. When I was used to getting YouTube videos to finish before I could get done watching them and streaming HD on Netflix to waiting 1 minute on a 30 second clip and Internet being too slow for playback? Yeah..that pisses me off but good.[/QUOTE]

I misunderstood your post, thought you were getting .6 Megabyte download. If you are getting .6 Megabits yeah that's fucking slow. fuck that.

[quote name='eagles5769']Which one of the C&C games is the best?[/QUOTE]
Good god, i don't remember the last time I saw a question that loaded. ;P

It's all down to preference. C&C95 is the best version of the original. Red Alert takes the core gameplay of the original and tacks a lot more onto it unit wise. TibSun and Red Alert 2 are where the series really start to split. The Tiberium series stays along the path of futuristic military warfare while Red Alert series revisits Cold War era technology with some silly and off the wall technology (Tesla guns, gigantic bomber zepplins, attack bears, jetpack infantry, etc)

That said, C&C3 is probably the closest (in this sale) you're going to see to the original Command & Conquer in terms of gameplay. Back when it first came out, it was a big attempt by EA to return to the series' roots in terms of gameplay. (I personally feel they succeeded, even if messing with the plot/world something fierce)

As for if you'd like the games or not, just go grab demos for C&C3 and RA3. Both are readily available and should give you an idea on whether or not they're worth your time + money in terms of gameplay.

(Also, when the hell did EA take down the free downloads for TibDawn, RA, and TibSun? >=| Those downloads had been up for months, maybe even a year or two. Would have grabbed them if I knew they were going anywhere.)

Alright, C&C 3: Tiberium Wars it is then. I'm just not sure if I should wait for a cheaper price because it may be a long time until I get to this game from my huge backlog of games.

If you have even a little interest in co-op gaming, Red Alert 3 and Command & Conquer 4 are absolute must buys at $5. Yes, even C&C4. The mediocre reviews it got are because it deviates from the classic formula too far - namely no base building, units have to be unlocked via RPG leveling, a wack, morose storyline, and the required persistent online connection. (If you're playing single-player and you get disconnected, the game makes an autosave.) So if you want classic gameplay, get Red Alert 3. If you're not afraid to try something new and have a buddy to play co-op with, get C&C4 (but do NOT get it if you don't intend to play co-op). I would get both.

Alternatively, you can get the classic games for free as DaedalusIkari mentioned:

Command & Conquer Gold
Red Alert: Allied Disc or Soviet Disc

I would just start with Red Alert if you're new to the series. You won't miss anything since the plot is basically World War II if Albert Einstein went back in time to kill Hitler and allowed the Soviets to come to power in place of Nazi Germany. Grab 'em quick because they won't be up there much longer. Unfortunately, I couldn't find Tiberian Sun.

[quote name='whitereflection']If you have even a little interest in co-op gaming, Red Alert 3 and Command & Conquer 4 are absolute must buys at $5. Yes, even C&C4. The mediocre reviews it got are because it deviates from the classic formula too far - namely no base building, units have to be unlocked via RPG leveling, a wack, morose storyline, and the required persistent online connection. (If you're playing single-player and you get disconnected, the game makes an autosave.) So if you want classic gameplay, get Red Alert 3. If you're not afraid to try something new and have a buddy to play co-op with, get C&C4 (but do NOT get it if you don't intend to play co-op). I would get both.

Alternatively, you can get the classic games for free as DaedalusIkari mentioned:

Command & Conquer Gold
Red Alert: Allied Disc or Soviet Disc

I would just start with Red Alert if you're new to the series. You won't miss anything since the plot is basically World War II if Albert Einstein went back in time to kill Hitler and allowed the Soviets to come to power in place of Nazi Germany. Grab 'em quick because they won't be up there much longer. Unfortunately, I couldn't find Tiberian Sun.[/QUOTE]
Tiberian Sun is available (along with the others) HERE

[quote name='keroppilee']RA2 is my favorite[/QUOTE]

+1...no, make that +10

Red Alert 2 with Yuri's Revenge is the best strategy gaming the PC world has seen IMO.

I've always preferred the Red Alert series to the base series. Red Alert is just more entertaining with what I consider better gaming, and the storylines are more lively. It's not so silly that it takes away from the plot, but it's silly enough to be endearing. Even the acting in the cutscenes just "clicks" for what it's trying to be in RA, rather than in C & C where it seems like it takes itself too serious at times. C & C is classic Westwood (PRE-Electronic Arts!!) so it's still great, though.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Does the FEAR games ever go on sale? Anyone else just sell the copy new anymore?

My ISP is apparently "working on servers" to give us more bandwidth right now, and my Internet is a sad .60MB download. It's supposed to be 7MB down, but at the former it'd take a week to download a 17GB file.[/QUOTE]

Fear gold was down to like 5 bucks I think during the xmas sale. And I think the mega collection of part 1 & 2 was only 10 bucks during the same time.

Fear 3 comes out in May so I expect all of them to go on sale around that time.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Do I want Painkiller?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but you want Painkiller Black http://store.steampowered.com/app/3200/ and not the crappy mods-turned-retail shovelware from JoWood. Black contains the original and expansion by developer People Can Fly. The base game is awesome and the expansion is reasonably good.

Having said that, I have heard that Redemption (the one on sale) is miles better than the god-awful Resurrection.

[quote name='BWS1982']+1...no, make that +10

Red Alert 2 with Yuri's Revenge is the best strategy gaming the PC world has seen IMO.

I've always preferred the Red Alert series to the base series. Red Alert is just more entertaining with what I consider better gaming, and the storylines are more lively. It's not so silly that it takes away from the plot, but it's silly enough to be endearing. Even the acting in the cutscenes just "clicks" for what it's trying to be in RA, rather than in C & C where it seems like it takes itself too serious at times. C & C is classic Westwood (PRE-Electronic Arts!!) so it's still great, though.[/QUOTE]
True! I loved RA2 Thinking about getting C&C4 but i'm still on the fence about it

[quote name='hal']Yeah, but you want Painkiller Black http://store.steampowered.com/app/3200/ and not the crappy mods-turned-retail shovelware from JoWood. Black contains the original and expansion by developer People Can Fly. The base game is awesome and the expansion is reasonably good.

Having said that, I have heard that Redemption (the one on sale) is miles better than the god-awful Resurrection.[/QUOTE]
Overdose was okay but should have been a mod and Resurrection was a buggy mess and I don't believe the co op ever worked properly. I have not played Redemption so I don't know what it's like.

Can anybody give me their opinion on which they think is the best C&C? I don't want to pick up all of them, I just want to play the best one.

[quote name='UnrealZero']red alert 2 and tiberian sun with expansions.[/QUOTE]
Only the ones that are on sale; on steam is what I'm talking about.

oh hmmm 3 was really good as was red alert 3 since it gave that nostalgic feel. I picked up 4 and so far it seems pretty good. It is different from the previous titles but still has the story arc which is great. I didn't get a chance to try the expansions.

[youtube]aAOplz5ri5k[/youtube][youtube]qwH0DvM9GPA[/youtube]

Steam Games on Sale - Updated 3/1
[youtube]JPF_f0vOixs[/youtube]

looks like braid is on sale for midweek madness! 70% off... not sure exactly what that makes it. i'm in europe at the moment so it shows up as 2.70 euro. if someone could post the price in the US store i'd appreciate it :)

[quote name='utopianmachine']B.U.T.T.O.N. looks so stupid. It's like they're begging to rip that laptop off the table.[/QUOTE]
I believe they are the only ones proud of buying that game, and probably the only ones that actually bought the game.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']anyone have a opinion on the spell force series?[/QUOTE]
Plays kinda like Titan Quest so far, I'm just doing the tutorial right now in the first game.

Honestly the whole RPG/RTS stuff drew me in and so far it's been great, then again I'm at the tutorial and 20 mins into this game it could be horrible but so far so good, I'll keep you updated in here lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back