Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember hearing that GTA4 PC had some major issues when it was first released. I'm assuming they've fixed them now? $10 is mighty tempting.

FINALLY gta4 is on sale. i had episodes from liberty city from the thanksgiving sale, but havent touched it cuz i wanted to play gta4 first. 5$ is pretty good.

Does the Episodes from Liberty City pack add extra content to the base game like extra cars and such? I don't really care about the story play, I'm much more interested in the open-world "do whatever you want" aspect.

[quote name='DigitalE']Does the Episodes from Liberty City pack add extra content to the base game like extra cars and such? I don't really care about the story play, I'm much more interested in the open-world "do whatever you want" aspect.[/QUOTE]

The EFLC pack more or less gives you a separate story. They have new vehicles and characters, but GTAIV, TLaD, and TBogt are all played separately.

This is the lowest the GTA IV Complete and Episodes have been on Steam. I had GTA IV base for quite a while but Steam has never bothered to put episodes on sale for me to snatch until today!

EFLC are WAY more fun than the GTA4 base game. I felt that GTA4 dragged on for way too long whereas the episodes are much shorter so you don't end up getting too bored and they were just a lot more fun in general.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Does anyone know if the GTA games will work on Windows 7 64 bit? I know it's just $7.50 for the collection, but that's what my laptop runs on.[/QUOTE]

I didn't have any problems (besides the game's general bugginess itself).

[quote name='Poshbishounen']Would anyone be interested in doing that Portal 2, 2 pack thing?[/QUOTE]

There are ways to get it cheaper than what the Portal 2 pack offers. Best Buy has it for $35 (PC) and some extra bonuses on top of that.

[quote name='Terlan']Ended up snagging the complete collection. Hopefully it doesn't take to long to download.[/QUOTE]

Funny you should mention that, because out of all of my games on Steam (100+), GTA IV is the only one to use up ~15 GB of space to download. And since you've got the complete collection, GTA IV and the episodes are installed separately because GTA IV and its episodes are considered stand-alone games. But this means that installing the the complete collection will require a total of ~30 GB of bandwidth. Do keep this in mind if you're on an ISP which limits your monthly bandwidth usage. :bouncy:

[quote name='TheKbob']There are ways to get it cheaper than what the Portal 2 pack offers. Best Buy has it for $35 (PC) and some extra bonuses on top of that.[/QUOTE]

It's still a pretty good deal. You get an extra copy of Portal to give to a friend, you don't have to pay tax (unless you're ordering online or live in WA), and you can pre-load and play it the moment it's released (which according the countdown should be sometime really early Tuesday morning).

I got mine from Amazon (had a bunch of gift cards) and I have to wait for the UPS guy before I can play. Which will be really late in the day. Probably around 6pm or so.

[quote name='robbyH']It's showing at $29.99 for me for the GTA pack.[/QUOTE]

thats because that was yesterday's deal. todays deal is the gta4 pack

Picked up the GTAIV bundle - dunno why, as I never really had much interest in GTA before...perhaps I'll get around to playing it someday :D

If anyone is interested, I have an extra copy of Portal 2. Willing to sell it for $30 via PayPal. PM me if interested. I won't get it until Tuesday though. So, you will have to wait until I get it. It's the code that comes bundled with the PS3 version.

[quote name='jim5364']If anyone is interested, I have an extra copy of Portal 2. Willing to sell it for $30 via PayPal. PM me if interested. I won't get it until Tuesday though. So, you will have to wait until I get it. It's the code that comes bundled with the PS3 version.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. I believe you need to sign in with your Steam ID on your PS3 to unlock the Steam copy, and since Portal on PS3 uses Steam while playing you can't play both copies at the same time.

I'm sure they've set this up so people don't go around selling their extra Steam copies en masse.

[quote name='TestType']I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. I believe you need to sign in with your Steam ID on your PS3 to unlock the Steam copy, and since Portal on PS3 uses Steam while playing you can't play both copies at the same time.

I'm sure they've set this up so people don't go around selling their extra Steam copies en masse.[/QUOTE]

The description is pretty vague. We'll find out tomorrow.

Is the Steam client really, really broken for anyone else? I can't adjust the ranking in my wishlist, a purchase for a gift had to be done via a browser instead... All navigation is shoddy...The STEAM forums show a lot of complaining for several weeks now...

I searched a few pages back from here to see if it's talked about much... It seemed like research showed that it was an update Valve did a few weeks back and all sorts of problems are there.

When I try to rank my wishlist (drag and drop interface, usually) it highlights the text/images...when I try to purchase stuff, it freezes.

I'd sometimes do a reinstall or something in a case like this (in case some DLL got effed with, etc...) but have no clue what kind of involvement that is re: STEAM with all the games/shortcuts installed...I was hoping since a lot of people on the STEAM forums complained, Valve was listening and an update would kill the issues. Still waiting...

[quote name='TestType']I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. I believe you need to sign in with your Steam ID on your PS3 to unlock the Steam copy, and since Portal on PS3 uses Steam while playing you can't play both copies at the same time.

I'm sure they've set this up so people don't go around selling their extra Steam copies en masse.[/QUOTE]

Not true.

http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/04/17/portal-ps3-and-steam-code-can-be-used-separately/

[quote name='BWS1982']Is the Steam client really, really broken for anyone else? I can't adjust the ranking in my wishlist, a purchase for a gift had to be done via a browser instead... All navigation is shoddy...The STEAM forums show a lot of complaining for several weeks now...

I searched a few pages back from here to see if it's talked about much... It seemed like research showed that it was an update Valve did a few weeks back and all sorts of problems are there.

When I try to rank my wishlist (drag and drop interface, usually) it highlights the text/images...when I try to purchase stuff, it freezes.

I'd sometimes do a reinstall or something in a case like this (in case some DLL got effed with, etc...) but have no clue what kind of involvement that is re: STEAM with all the games/shortcuts installed...I was hoping since a lot of people on the STEAM forums complained, Valve was listening and an update would kill the issues. Still waiting...[/QUOTE]

I haven't noticed any issues lately. I would try resetting your ClientRegistry.blob if you haven't already. It has fixed Steam issues for me in the past.

amazon has it for $149 + $12.85 tax with free shipping from prime
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004W75ATI/
I just ordered it for a total of $109 cuz i had $45 in gift certificates.
wohoo! btw if anyone didnt know, this card is significantly shorter (lengthwise) than the previous models.
That was a major factor for me, since my computer case is big enough to just barely fit my 5770 into it. now I can finally upgrade!

[quote name='wankerjr']Not true.

http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/04/17/portal-ps3-and-steam-code-can-be-used-separately/[/QUOTE]

Did you read that article? It says in there that you have to log into the steam account on the PS3 to do any of the online component... so the Steam copy and the PS3 copy are in fact linked. You can do the single player stuff without signing into steam though, so if thats all you are interested in... then sell off the steam copy

[quote name='justme99z']Did you read that article? It says in there that you have to log into the steam account on the PS3 to do any of the online component... so the Steam copy and the PS3 copy are in fact linked. You can do the single player stuff without signing into steam though, so if thats all you are interested in... then sell off the steam copy[/QUOTE]

You have to link your PSN account to your Steam account to access online, but that Steam account doesn't have to have a PC copy of Portal 2 on it.

So you can sell the PC copy of Portal 2 separately. Nevermind, check the bottom of the article: http://cl.ly/65bs.

The PS3 version has full functionality without the need of the PC code, but the PC version can't be activated without a PS3 version (and a PS3).
This means you can't sell the PC version (except to friends who have access to your disc and a PS3), but you can activate the PC version and sell your PS3 version (which was my original plan anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I'm one of those people who never bothered to get Steam before, I'm curious: how good of a deal is the Potato Sack compared to their usual Steam sale at the end of the year? ~$3 a game is a good price, sure, but it looks like they were selling bundles of five indie games (including some of the Potato Sack games) for $5 last fall. Is that likely to happen again or should I just jump on it now? I don't have to have any of these, but I've been wanting Amnesia and Audiosurf for a while.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Since I'm one of those people who never bothered to get Steam before, I'm curious: how good of a deal is the Potato Sack compared to their usual Steam sale at the end of the year? ~$3 a game is a good price, sure, but it looks like they were selling bundles of five indie games (including some of the Potato Sack games) for $5 last fall. Is that likely to happen again or should I just jump on it now? I don't have to have any of these, but I've been wanting Amnesia and Audiosurf for a while.[/QUOTE]

If you don't have any of the games and the majority interest you, I'd say it's a great deal. In my case, I already owned the five games out of there I wanted the most, so for me, it's a bad deal.

In my opinion Amnesia, Super Meat Boy, Defense Grid and Killing Floor are worth the price of admission alone. The rest is just gravy.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Since I'm one of those people who never bothered to get Steam before, I'm curious: how good of a deal is the Potato Sack compared to their usual Steam sale at the end of the year? ~$3 a game is a good price, sure, but it looks like they were selling bundles of five indie games (including some of the Potato Sack games) for $5 last fall. Is that likely to happen again or should I just jump on it now? I don't have to have any of these, but I've been wanting Amnesia and Audiosurf for a while.[/QUOTE]

The price's during the Steam holiday sale are absolutely ridiculous(ly low) but you'd have to wait 8 months with the possibility that the games you are interested in won't be discounted. That would be enough to deter me from passing on this deal if there was something I wanted, but if it isn't for you then go ahead and wait. I'm going to guess you will spend more in electricity refreshing CAG for the remainder of the year to see if there has been a better sale than the couple bucks you will end up saving (although if you are like me you will refresh CAG anyway :)

I don't think anyone other than yourself can answer this for you. You have to figure out which of these games is (to you) worth play time, and then do a little division. Most games in this pack have been 75% off at one time or another, and you can assume they will be again some day.

If you see 10 of the 13 games in this bundle that you *really* want to play, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise, just buy a la carte at 50% off.

You are right though that these same games were heavily bundled last winter sale, and there have been other "indie" bundles over the years with super low prices.

Me, I'm not very impressed with the games in this bundle. I don't like platformers or "music" games. I own Defense Grid. I want The Ball, but I expect I'll be able to get it on sale for $5 some day soon.

Good luck!

for me, the potato pack was DEFINITELY worth the purchase because i took part in the whole potato event and got all 36 potatoes. For everyone who got all the potatoes, we received a free copy of Portal 2 and the valve pack as a reward.
is it still worth the purchase to get the potato pack? Id still say yes. I played all the games in the pack for at least a few hours. Though I didn't enjoy some of them (cogs and 123 kick it), the rest were great and have re-playability. Also, if you care about steam achievements like I do, most of the games in the pack have steam achievements.

[quote name='Xealot42']I haven't noticed any issues lately. I would try resetting your ClientRegistry.blob if you haven't already. It has fixed Steam issues for me in the past.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip, but the wishlist is still broken. I haven't tried a purchase yet, but that was the other issue.

I'll wait it out I guess. I wasn't the only one according to at least one thread at the STEAM forums. Thanks anyway.

I got it off Amazon for the same price, its not that good.
Mechanics aren't bad per say (grid/turn based combat), but the game just isn't very interesting after a while.
Also, the story is pretty bland because its a translation of an originally German game.

[quote name='blitztwn36']

In my opinion Amnesia, Super Meat Boy, Defense Grid and Killing Floor are worth the price of admission alone. The rest is just gravy.[/QUOTE]
I agree. Toki Tori, Bit.Trip.Beat, and Rush are nothing to sneeze at either. The Ball is pretty impressive as well... particularly the new Portal test levels.

Well, I went ahead and bit since $3 a game is just too tempting, and there's at least 8-9 games that look interesting to me. As much as I dislike the ephemeralness of "cloud" stuff like Steam, damn if it isn't convenient having everything in one place.

Looking forward to getting in on some sales in the future.

[quote name='topplehat']Looks somewhat interesting, anyone played it?[/QUOTE]

Don't know - I snagged it this morning. Hopefully it won't suck :D

Weekend deal is Metro 2033 for 9.99 (50% off)...would bite but I'm sure it'll probably be $5 during the summer sale...

Gah, I bought that damn game for 12.50 months ago (thanks THQ) and haven't played yet. I need to make a rule for myself not to buy Steam games > $5 until I beat like 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back