Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='utopianmachine']EA is selling Sims 3 for 50% off today at their online store. I sure hope the same is done for Steam. Maybe today is Sims day. :D[/QUOTE]
It's $19.99 on their store and $23.99 on Steam - typical for EA.

Also, the new EA Store daily deal is Crysis 2. It stands to reason that tomorrow will probably be Crysis day on Steam.

I don't have a problem with the Sims, but these aren't cheap enough for me to bite.

If they had a Sims Complete or Sims 2 Complete up, on the other hand...

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I don't have a problem with the Sims, but these aren't cheap enough for me to bite.

If they had a Sims Complete or Sims 2 Complete up, on the other hand...[/QUOTE]
Agreed. My steam money lives to see another day.

[quote name='gcorlett']Check out SteamgameSales.com for questions like this. It only goes back 12 months, but it confirms the sales you've asked about.

Mass Effect 1 was $4.99 on July 19/20, 2010, and $9.99 during the Holiday sale last year. Link.

I personally bought it for $5 on Direct2Drive on 12/1/2009. Not Steam, but it was the first time anyone had it for $5. I've still got the email receipt to prove this price...

Mass Effect 2 was $9.99 on Steam during the 2010 Holiday sale, the same day that ME1 was $4.99. Link.

Here's hoping for $2 ME1 and $5 ME2 during the Summer sale! :)[/QUOTE]

thanks mate, didn't know about that site ;D

So this really bothers me: If you go by Sims 3 in the store, you get it for PC and Mac, but Steam doesn't even sell the Mac version. Which means I either have to get the PC version and accept that I'll always have to bootcamp over to play it, or buy it from the EA store and not have the reliability of Steam. Bleh.

if tomorrow is crysis day, i am looking forward to it. I played Crysis 2 Demo and I was pretty hooked. I've never been a big fan of fps, but that one stood out for me.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I don't have a problem with the Sims, but these aren't cheap enough for me to bite.

If they had a Sims Complete or Sims 2 Complete up, on the other hand...[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Especially since EA likes to make 17 add-on packs for The Sims, partly of which is just new items that should be free.

[quote name='pROvIs'];) On the Positive side at least Sim City 4 is 75% off on sale as well :)[/QUOTE]
How is Sim City 4? $5 is a damn good price, but I never played it.

[quote name='wilflare']kinda regret getting Dragon Age. simply not my kind of game.
20USD wasted :/[/QUOTE]

How far are you into the game? After 2 hours I got sucked into it.

ok. maybe i should give the game a bit more time. I just killed the giant rats and all the excessive blood kinda put me off. i was trying the game out after Borderlands so it might have affected my perception of the game a little.

Reminded me alot of Neverwinter Nights.. which while nice, was slow...

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']How is Sim City 4? $5 is a damn good price, but I never played it.[/QUOTE]

It's fantastic. There's a beginners way to play, which is fine and dandy and will definitely be worth the 5 dollars. You know, just screwing around and mkaing some small towns and stuff. But there is also the more advanced way to play where you link all the towns together, make mass transit, build commercial centers... everything. Thats where you really get your money's worth.

[quote name='baz8771']It's fantastic. There's a beginners way to play, which is fine and dandy and will definitely be worth the 5 dollars. You know, just screwing around and mkaing some small towns and stuff. But there is also the more advanced way to play where you link all the towns together, make mass transit, build commercial centers... everything. Thats where you really get your money's worth.[/QUOTE]
Nice, will buy once I get home. Just have to remember it's on sale :lol:

[quote name='ndawgdrake']Possibilities for the next two days:

-Mass Effect Day
-Crysis Day
-Dead Space Day[/QUOTE]

You forgot:
-Battlefield Day
-Medal of Honor Day
-Command & Conquer Day

Though I would like a Crysis Day and Dead Space day.

[quote name='j-cart']You forgot:
-Battlefield Day
-Medal of Honor Day
-Command & Conquer Day

Though I would like a Crysis Day and Dead Space day.[/QUOTE]

I doubt they will have medal of honor day.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Nice, will buy once I get home. Just have to remember it's on sale :lol:[/QUOTE]

When you do get it, I recommend you save often. Not sure if it's my PC or not, but it's crashed on me a couple of times and both times I had not saved for a long period. Just a heads up.

Going from the past EA sale they will probably have a 'military' day that will include Battlefield and MoH. C&C will be its own day and I think Deadspace was combined with something else last time, too.

The first post is now a Wiki so we all can edit it.

I had sent Shrike a PM. He said that it was made a wiki but the setting was disabled (likely OP) but he changed it back now.

[quote name='jling84']Does Half-Life 1 ever go on sale on Steam?[/QUOTE]

I remember it being like 97 cents before. But it was a couple of sales ago.

[quote name='wilflare']ok. maybe i should give the game a bit more time. I just killed the giant rats and all the excessive blood kinda put me off. i was trying the game out after Borderlands so it might have affected my perception of the game a little.

Reminded me alot of Neverwinter Nights.. which while nice, was slow...[/QUOTE]

I believe all the blood can be turned off by a simple toggle in the options. I'm pretty sure i went through the game without because i felt it was excessive.

It does here and there, but mostly it's on sale through pack deals for either all the half life games or all of valve's games. The cheapest they ever had it was at $1 on it's anniversary one year.

[quote name='icedrake523']The first post is now a Wiki so we all can edit it.

I had sent Shrike a PM. He said that it was made a wiki but the setting was disabled (likely OP) but he changed it back now.[/QUOTE]

Thank goodness. So many peeps missing deals! TY TY TY

It was 99 cents once. It may have even been free once.

[quote name='Mooby']Going from the past EA sale they will probably have a 'military' day that will include Battlefield and MoH. C&C will be its own day and I think Deadspace was combined with something else last time, too.[/QUOTE]

Considering that May 8 (or 9, depending on where you are from) is a Victory Day, I would expect nothing less.

[quote name='baz8771']It's fantastic. There's a beginners way to play, which is fine and dandy and will definitely be worth the 5 dollars. You know, just screwing around and mkaing some small towns and stuff. But there is also the more advanced way to play where you link all the towns together, make mass transit, build commercial centers... everything. Thats where you really get your money's worth.[/QUOTE]

To me Tropico was always a better franchise then Sim City. More story-driven, with varied challenges and good doze of humor. This and the fact that Sim City is an 8 year old game, while an excellent Tropico 3 is less then 2 years old. Oh, and EA certainly have some balls to charge $20 as a regular price for this game and then pretend like $5 is a huge deal.

Not saying that Sim City is not a good game - it was certainly one of the beter games when just released, but if you only have stomach for one city building simulator, I would recommend Tropico 3 (when it goes on sale next time which happens every couple of months) over Sim City.

[quote name='KingDox']It was 99 cents once. It may have even been free once.[/QUOTE]

It was $.98 back in 2008 on the 10 year anniversary of release I believe.

The original Half-Life games were basically a dollar back during the Holiday Sale. I picked up a package of HL1, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, and Team Forterss Classic for $2.75 or something.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Can anyone confirm if Sims 3 can work in offline mode? (Can all Steam games work in offline mode?)[/QUOTE]

Almost all Steam games work in offline mode. IIRC the only Steam game that didn't work for me in offline mode was an indie game that used Steamworks, and that was later patched so it worked in offline mode.
[quote name='j-cart']You forgot:
-Battlefield Day
-Medal of Honor Day
-Command & Conquer Day

Though I would like a Crysis Day and Dead Space day.[/QUOTE]
I'm hoping for a Risk Factions day. Pretty much the only EA game I would buy during this sale. Maybe Spore complete if it's $10.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']I'm hoping for a Risk Factions day. Pretty much the only EA game I would buy during this sale. Maybe Spore complete if it's $10.[/QUOTE]

i'm hoping for risk too!

I'm relatively new to Steam and completely new to the steam deal thread. I am looking to pick up Gothic 2 Gold and Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition (released mar. 2011). Will these games ever go on sale individually possibly this year, or are there % off your order coupons from steam ever? They are 9.99 currently

[quote name='hwmusic']I'm relatively new to Steam and completely new to the steam deal thread. I am looking to pick up Gothic 2 and Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition (released mar. 2011). Will these games ever go on sale possibly this year? They are 9.99 currently[/QUOTE]

I think all Gothic games were 75% off 5 or 6 weeks ago but they will probably go on sale again as JoWood is going out of business. Maybe during the summer sale.

[quote name='Xealot42']I think all Gothic games were 75% off 5 or 6 weeks ago but they will probably go on sale again as JoWood is going out of business. Maybe during the summer sale.[/QUOTE]

Ouch, I looked into Gothic too late! I wrote them off because I have windows 7 64bit but I did some research and looks like I can probably run Gothic 2 and definitely Gothic 3

[quote name='hwmusic']I'm relatively new to Steam and completely new to the steam deal thread. I am looking to pick up Gothic 2 Gold and Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition (released mar. 2011). Will these games ever go on sale individually possibly this year, or are there % off your order coupons from steam ever? They are 9.99 currently[/QUOTE]

no to the coupon question, but sales are plentiful, varied, and frequently delightful :bouncy: just keep an eye on this thread and you'll catch on quick.

Thinking of picking up Sim City 4 Deluxe, but I've read mixed things on it's compatibility with Win 7 64 bit. Can anyone that's bought it confirm whether or not they have gotten it to work well with Win 7 64?

[quote name='jimbodan']Thinking of picking up Sim City 4 Deluxe, but I've read mixed things on it's compatibility with Win 7 64 bit. Can anyone that's bought it confirm whether or not they have gotten it to work well with Win 7 64?[/QUOTE]

I bought it on Steam and it plays fine for me on Win 7 64. Didn't have to do anything special to get it to work, but you do have to modify the shortcut to enable widescreen resolutions.

[quote name='Aleman']I bought it on Steam and it plays fine for me on Win 7 64. Didn't have to do anything special to get it to work, but you do have to modify the shortcut to enable widescreen resolutions.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='hwmusic']I'm relatively new to Steam and completely new to the steam deal thread. I am looking to pick up Gothic 2 Gold and Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition (released mar. 2011). Will these games ever go on sale individually possibly this year, or are there % off your order coupons from steam ever? They are 9.99 currently[/QUOTE]

I know this is a thread about steam deals, but if you didn't mind that it wasn't on steam you could have gotten Gothic 2 Gold at gog yesterday for 5.99. They had a sale on JoWood games that lasted a week.

(I would post a link that shows what games were on sale but I'm not allowed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back