Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised there isn't even a token sale on Crysis 2.

Was hoping for a bigger discount on Dead Space 2, I'll wait on it it it's the same price tomorrow.

Maybe some of the old Crysis vetrans could answer these for me.

1. Is it true that the original Crysis is more cpu & gpu demanding? I've read on boards that Crysis 2 seems to run better than the original Crysis.

2. Is the original Crysis multiplayer community still active?

[quote name='fortunado']They fixed it; looks like we will know one day this week will be Dead Space day w/ 25% off DS2 and 75% off DS.

Crysis $7.49
Crysis Warhead $4.99

or get both Crysis Maximum $9.99

Was waiting for Crysis day, I don't even mind that Crysis 2 isn't sale I'm going to wait until its sub $30 for that one, grabbed Crysis Maximum Edition great deal at $10

[quote name='SakBee']Maybe some of the old Crysis vetrans could answer these for me.

1. Is it true that the original Crysis is more cpu & gpu demanding? I've read on boards that Crysis 2 seems to run better than the original Crysis.

[/QUOTE]

I can answer the first. Crysis 1 at the time (2007) was more demanding for the hardware that was available. Basically you couldn't max it fully at the time with the more common high-end hardware when it was released. Now with Crysis 2, you can max it out with current high-end hardware. Even mid-range stuff can do very well with Crysis 2. Not to say it doesn't look good, because it does. Crysis 2 is still more demanding in terms of PC requirements, but Crysis 1 is still nothing to sneeze at if you want "maximum game".

Finally bought Crysis Maximum Edition...was hesitant to get it during the winter sale, but I couldn't pass it up this time around for $10.

Also, for anyone that saw the supposed Dead Space deal, did it show how much DS1/DS2 is going to be?

Supposedly according to Canyourunit.com my laptop can run the original Crysis. I bought this thing almost 2 years ago and only paid about $550. I know I won't be able to max it but I'm surprised the specs indicate I could run it at all.

What is everyones opinion on these games btw? Is the original crysis worth getting (it is only $5 to be fair, so i guess it is) or is it better to save those $5 and just get warhead

[quote name='kart007k']Tomorrow - Dead Space Day
Sunday - DICE DAY ( Battlefield & Medal of Horror)[/QUOTE]

Are those guesses or fact?

If fact, darn, I was hoping for a C&C day.

[quote name='Chris249942']What is everyones opinion on these games btw? Is the original crysis worth getting (it is only $5 to be fair, so i guess it is) or is it better to save those $5 and just get warhead[/QUOTE]
Yes it's worth it. Get Max Ed.

I was about to jump all over that Crisis Deal, but I see they still have Securom on there. No way I'm knowingly putting that shit on my system ever again. Last time crashed my system so bad I had to rebuild it from scratch. Luckily, I didn't really lose anything as I had just gotten done setting things up on it about a week previous. Steam is it's own DRM, why does EA have to stick with that idiot software?

[quote name='erik_wolff']I was about to jump all over that Crisis Deal, but I see they still have Securom on there. No way I'm knowingly putting that shit on my system ever again. Last time crashed my system so bad I had to rebuild it from scratch. Luckily, I didn't really lose anything as I had just gotten done setting things up on it about a week previous. Steam is it's own DRM, why does EA have to stick with that idiot software?[/QUOTE]

Can you elaborate please? I've been hearing conflicting reports on whether or not securom actually does anything

Well, my laptop is above the recommended settings, so I guess I have no excuse to pass on Crysis for $5. I'm sure I'll have to run at liw to medium settings, but you can't beat $5. How does this stack up against the sequel? I heard this one has a lot more variety with the Nanosuit. Are the levels still open and varied?

debating getting this I am in the process of purchasing a gaming pc but It won't be finished until the end of the summer. These deals are good but for some reason I just don't feel right purchasing a game I won't be able to play for a couple of months. I'm guessing I should just wait for those winter deals instead.

On the one hand, I feel like I should be all over Crysis since it looks amazing on youtube and especially considering the 5 euro for the complete pack. But I simply hardly ever play Single Player shooters.

Guess I'll just leave this either forever, till I'm bored, or at least till they strip out that crap 5 activations no deauthorizations securom on the first one, and just put the money into a copy of Men of War instead

[quote name='jagdeep820']debating getting this I am in the process of purchasing a gaming pc but It won't be finished until the end of the summer. These deals are good but for some reason I just don't feel right purchasing a game I won't be able to play for a couple of months. I'm guessing I should just wait for those winter deals instead.[/QUOTE]

'Summer Sale' seems to be about the right time for your new PC (End of June).

However, whether you'll have money to spare rather than put into the pc, that's something else I guess xD

Can someone confirm that the Crysis Max edition has SecuRom on it or not? I'd like to pick up this deal, but no way am I installing that intrusive crap on my PC.

Crysis is an awesome game. Too bad I already own them or I'd buy the Maximum Edition. I never got why people said it's just a tech demo since I think its one of the best action games ever (just played it this year).

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Freaking yes on Dead Space day. Been hoping. Not 100% sure if I'll be grabbing DS2, but DS1 at $5 is easily a must buy. :D[/QUOTE]
Dead space is more likley to be $6.80 since all these sales are just repeats of other sales.

It's very difficult to remove once installed and can cause other functional programs on your machine to stop working. I've heard of cases where people have had to completely reformat their HDDs because of it.

[quote name='lito88']Dead space is more likley to be $6.80 since all these sales are just repeats of other sales.[/QUOTE]

DS was $5 earlier today for a little while by mistake

[quote name='doh23']DS was $5 earlier today for a little while by mistake[/QUOTE]
indeed i was just saying i would figure it would be the same price since a lot of these sales are just repeats.

Just take note: That "5 Machine activation limit" is 5 *Simultaneous* installs; Ie, you can't have it on more than 5 separate computers at once. You can revoke installs by uninstalling the game properly, or in a worst-case-scenario (Where your computer crashes several times and can't revoke/uninstall properly) you can call the support line and have them revoke for you. And uninstalling/reinstalling on the same computer doesn't affect the activation count.

Quite the dilemma, I really want to finally play Crysis but, I hate SecuRom.....

[quote name='Chris249942']Can you elaborate please? I've been hearing conflicting reports on whether or not securom actually does anything[/QUOTE]

I'm no expert, but if you search for the list of PC games that use Securom, it's obvious it's on millions of machines. Lots of really big titles have used it. So if it was fundamentally flawed there would be more than just the general hearsay. ;)

I remember Starforce and how bad that was. Securom was around for years with virtually no press until Bioshock came out. That version of securom (there are several, some are just disc checks) had limited activations, which a few people discovered when they tried to install their copy of bioshock on 30 or so of their friends machines. LOL. And since it wasn't cracked for about 2 weeks, they pitched a fit and generated all the hysteria we've been living with since.

I'm sure it caused problems on a few machines, just like any other bit of software. But its not the bogeyman people would have you believe. That's my opinion. :speaktothehand:

For anyone who are still doubting the purchase of Crysis: do it!

I've bought the pack for the same price (iirc) in the winter sales (€5 here in NL) and immedeately started playing. My rig could just barely handle ultra settings on a playable level and even these days the graphics still amaze me! It's a beautiful game with a great atmosphere. Although the Warhead add-on single player was a bit of a letdown (too short). But seriously, 10 bucks (or 5 euro's) for the whole deal is a steal!

I have no clue about multiplayer as I haven't played that.

Too bad crysis 2 isn't on sale. I'd really like to play the SP on my PC.

Crysis is well worth the money...if you haven't played it and like FPS's you are really selling yourself short by not getting it.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Quite the dilemma, I really want to finally play Crysis but, I hate SecuRom.....[/QUOTE]

Same here, especially because this is such a great deal. I'm waiting for someone to make me comfortable by reassuring it's not as bad as some make it sound. :lol:

[quote name='Hawkamania']Same here, especially because this is such a great deal. I'm waiting for someone to make me comfortable by reassuring it's not as bad as some make it sound. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I have the game and

1) I have no problems at all that indicate securom being something that's bad for your PC
2) Why would a 5 machine activation limit be such a problem? I've installed it once, played the single player, ENJOYED IT ALOT, and uninstalled it. Done. No problem. €5 well spent.

If that doesn't convince you, it's your loss :bouncy:

[quote name='Hawkamania']Same here, especially because this is such a great deal. I'm waiting for someone to make me comfortable by reassuring it's not as bad as some make it sound. :lol:[/QUOTE]
I been installing Securom games for years and never had a problem once. Everyone installs fine, runs fine, and well works good. Plus $10 for Crysis is a steal. Still one of the best shooters this gen and the graphics are still fucking superb.

[quote name='doh23']What's wrong with SecuRom?[/QUOTE]

It installs a rootkit on your computer, at least it used to, not sure if it still does. While securerom doesn't necessarily do anything bad to the computer a lot of people don't like rootkits on their comp as they can be pretty intrusive when it comes to what you do on your computer.

Sony tried to do a rootkit on one of it's music cd's one time and people fumed, they finally stopped using those.

Definition of a rootkit is

A rootkit is a collection of tools (programs) that enable administrator-level access to a computer or computer network. Typically, a hacker installs a rootkit on a computer after first obtaining user-level access, either by exploiting a known vulnerability or cracking a password.

While I"m sure the ones you install from big name companies are going to be harmless, and I doubt securerom is going to steal your info, a lot of people are still weary of it however. I personally don't have a problem with it, as I'm not paranoid. Remember though, there are people out there that still make tinfoil hats so the government can't read their mind :p

[quote name='dmdragon']It installs a rootkit on your computer, at least it used to, not sure if it still does.[/QUOTE]

I dun want no rude kid on my 'puter :nottalking:

@ Sir_Fragalot: OMFG ZILTOID!

[quote name='doh23']can anyone tell me when was the last time Star Wars KOTOR was on sale and for how much?[/QUOTE]

It was on sale during the Xmas season. I think is was 2.4X

[quote name='videodrone']It was on sale during the Xmas season. I think is was 2.4X[/QUOTE]

Thanks, guess I'll wait until it goes on sale again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back