Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
picked up Crysis Max edition...i remember wanting to play this when it first came out but my PC was junk...now that I have a PC that can run it, i look forward to finally playing it!!!

[quote name='heybtbm']Plants vs. Zombies is still $9.99. Not on sale.[/QUOTE]

It was the midweek deal and ended on Thursday.

I'm going to be getting this computer soon

Intel Core i7 930 processor (8MB L2 Cache, 2.80 GHz)
12GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 GDDR5

Good enough for Crysis right?

[quote name='doh23']I'm going to be getting this computer soon

ATI Radeon HD GDDR5

Good enough for Crysis right?[/QUOTE]

it'll run fine at 1080, might need to run a few setting on medium, nothing at ultra, and don't expect to set any framerate records. Crysis is STILL one of the most demanding games, I think it taught the industry a lesson when a ton of people didn't buy it because it took years for tech to "trickle down" enough for the avg person to play it well

Thanks, I'll probably not buy Crysis right now but it's nice to know it will run it fine lol. I feel like I missed out on so much great PC games so I think I'll start buying the older titles from years ago before I move onto the newer ones

Get a 5850 or 5870

[quote name='dmdragon']It installs a rootkit on your computer, at least it used to, not sure if it still does. While securerom doesn't necessarily do anything bad to the computer a lot of people don't like rootkits on their comp as they can be pretty intrusive when it comes to what you do on your computer.

Sony tried to do a rootkit on one of it's music cd's one time and people fumed, they finally stopped using those.

Definition of a rootkit is

While I"m sure the ones you install from big name companies are going to be harmless, and I doubt securerom is going to steal your info, a lot of people are still weary of it however. I personally don't have a problem with it, as I'm not paranoid. Remember though, there are people out there that still make tinfoil hats so the government can't read their mind :p[/QUOTE]

I hate DRM! first, like said with Sony and their music CD's. I went out at like 9am to pick up the new Foo Fighters Album in 2005, opened it up and thrown it in my CD player in my car and it played fine. Well later that day we were going out wakeboarding in the boat and wanted to put it on my iPod. It ripped "successfully" and threw it onto my iPod only to listen to it on the boat and it skipped every other second. I called and they asked if my CD was scratched, CD drive was broken, had a computer with crap specs... everything but telling me they had a rootkit. About 2 weeks later people started figuring it out, and from that point on, I have no sympathy for companies complaining about piracy, you are part of the problem Sony.

In the early 2000's, some Ubisoft game would no longer let me burn audio cd's or even data dvds to backup my photography. I had to root around in the registry and reflash my drive. Screw that... I should never had had to do that, but since Starfoce thought I was a pirate when I legit bought the game... it effectively killed my DVD/CD-burner without even asking me if it was alright first.

Crysis pack is well worth it. Warhead is very action heavy and I'm still surprised by how good the game looks compared to some games today. Still makes my pc cry when tons of explosions go off at once haha

[quote name='SeanTM22']Get a 5850 or 5870[/QUOTE]

I would recommended this also. I bought a 5770 about a year a go when it was the best deal. Now the 5870 is the best card for 150-200 dollar range.

it should run it, but video card might hamper you if you play at higher resolutions.

[quote name='SeanTM22']Get a 5850 or 5870[/QUOTE]

I'm ordering from Dell and it's not an option to change the card

[quote name='doh23']I'm ordering from Dell and it's not an option to change the card[/QUOTE]

not from factory, but you can always change it when you get the PC at home. If you get the option to downgrade the card from factory to save a few bucks, you should and hop on that 5850 deal I saw on the main page. If not the 5770 is decent but as user mentioned above FullHD may struggle.

[quote name='doh23']I'm ordering from Dell and it's not an option to change the card[/QUOTE]

dont buy a dell its simple to build your own machine and alot cheaper...

[quote name='ElementR7']dont buy a dell its simple to build your own machine and alot cheaper...[/QUOTE]

I second that and many around here will help, especially in the pc thread. I personally will never buy a dell, hp, etc again. They or they used to be very hard to upgrade cuz of proprietary parts or or not enough room or juice from the psu

[quote name='Hawkamania']Same here, especially because this is such a great deal. I'm waiting for someone to make me comfortable by reassuring it's not as bad as some make it sound. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I just finished downloading this morning and the online activation is refusing my key, apparently lots of people are having that problem right now, so it does cause problems. But Steam often has key-related problems during popular sales, activation or not.

It's nowhere near as bad as some people make out, I've never had system-level problems with Securom being installed (unlike StarForce), just glitches with the protected game itself, and it's not like the game developers or Sony are out to steal your bank passwords and credit card number with their 'rootkit'.

But it does have small problems. Old versions of Securom, like the one on Crysis, refuse to load if you have various unrelated utilities running, like the SysInternals task manager. If you have any sort of virtual cd drive (popular amongst developers and sysadmins) even the newest versions will refuse to load, maybe even until you've uninstalled the virtual drive or wiped your OS.

Also, it's more likely that in the future a Securom-protected game will have compatibility problems with Windows 9 or whatever, than a DRM-free game.

The online activation also is slightly annoying, aside from the current glitch. Needing to deauthorize is a bit of a pain. I don't know about you, but I have terabytes of storage and just leave my old games installed now in case I ever want to go back to them. There's no way I'm going to remember the two or three titles which have to be uninstalled before a planned OS reinstall, and of course there's no way to predict when an unplanned reinstall will happen. So those activations are going to get used up someday in the future.

But all of it goes away with a cracked exe. I've stuck one on my new steam copy right now to get around the activation being broken, and I don't know if I'll ever bother going "official" and using up my limited count. That route might cause problems with punkbuster and multiplayer though, I don't know.

[quote name='aznguyen316']not from factory, but you can always change it when you get the PC at home. If you get the option to downgrade the card from factory to save a few bucks, you should and hop on that 5850 deal I saw on the main page. If not the 5770 is decent but as user mentioned above FullHD may struggle.[/QUOTE]

Ye I'll upgrade the video card in the future for sure but as of right I'm happy as long as I can run most games (older games is what I'm mostly looking at). I heard now a days Dells are easier to upgrade than before, from what I hear the only thing you would have to buy from Dell would be the power supply. Again, that's what I heard, anyone can correct me if they want. I also need the computer right away for school too while building one would take a while because I don't have all the money right now, Dell offers financing with 6 months no interest which helps me out. My next PC though I'll build for sure as I am learning about stuff like that in college.

[quote name='bitter1961']I just finished downloading this morning and the online activation is refusing my key, apparently lots of people are having that problem right now, so it does cause problems. But Steam often has key-related problems during popular sales, activation or not.

But all of it goes away with a cracked exe. I've stuck one on my new steam copy right now to get around the activation being broken, and I don't know if I'll ever bother going "official" and using up my limited count. That route might cause problems with punkbuster and multiplayer though, I don't know.[/QUOTE]

I'm having the same problem...any word on a fix? How did you get it running? I'm not too worried about multiplayer.

jumping DS1 and waiting for cheaper deal on DS2.
I always try to wait for price to drop more than 50%

only exception is either the game has multiplayer and friends getting, or it just that much of a good deal to jump a 50% sale deal

I'll just reiterate my post from a few pages back: Dead Space 2 contains DRM.

It's not listed in the usual manner on Steam, need to read the "Online Disclaimer" to find out it uses Tages Solidshield.
Therefore I will not be getting it.

Too bad. I already have DS and DS2 will go lower than that $24 soon enough. Either during the Perils of Summer redux or as part of a Halloween sale at one of these digital stores. If not just as part of some random sale.

That $24 price point amuses me because if EA had bothered to make it an even 50% off, I probably would have bought it. But that $4 is very off-putting to me for some reason. Heh. Wonder what tomorrow's will be...

[quote name='6er']it's EA week right? So prob back to normal type deals. I heard a big summer sale should be soon[/QUOTE]

The main page has "Sunday: ????" so we'll get one more EA deal this week.

Dead Space sale... what a surprise.

Already played DS1 on the :360: so no need to buy that. DS2 is still too expensive for € 29,99. I can get it at least €10,- cheaper for the 360. Passing today![FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Gonna pick up DS1 -- kinda wished they have the new MOH for real cheap, maybe >$10. I supposed there is always tomorrow, but I've got a feeling we are in for another C&C sale...:roll:

[quote name='Hudson187']Gonna pick up DS1 -- kinda wished they have the new MOH for real cheap, maybe >$10. I supposed there is always tomorrow, but I've got a feeling we are in for another C&C sale...:roll:[/QUOTE]

id buy it if it was

Even though I already have both Dead Space 1 and 2...
For others around here, I wonder if the Steam versions of DS1 and 2 activate on EADM.

[quote name='MysterD']Even though I already have both Dead Space 1 and 2...
For others around here, I wonder if the Steam versions of DS1 and 2 activate on EADM.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I have mirrors edge on steam, but don't know how to get a key code, I'll look around when I get home in a few hours. Not that it matters. Buy on steam and own for life, right? Key ode activations for DRM would apply to code, not service used, I assume

[quote name='Jugglenaut']The main page has "Sunday: ????" so we'll get one more EA deal this week.[/QUOTE]
I believe we're going to have one on Monday as well...the store page says it goes until the 9th soo who knows we might see two more days of deals.

[quote name='Hudson187']Gonna pick up DS1 -- kinda wished they have the new MOH for real cheap, maybe >$10. I supposed there is always tomorrow, but I've got a feeling we are in for another C&C sale...:roll:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='paz9x']id buy it if it was

For others around here, I wonder if the Steam versions of DS1 and 2 activate on EADM.[/QUOTE]

I have Dead Space 2 retail version, but my Dead Space 1 was added to my EADM account with my cd-key from Steam.

However I just noticed the CD-Key option isn't available for the game in the library. So maybe it's not available to be added to EADM anymore?

Ah crap, I was gonna get Crysis today but, oh well. I didn't realize it was one EA deal per day :/

It'll be on sale again I'm sure.

[quote name='Hudson187']My bad.. LOL -- been a looooonnnnngggg week :lol::bouncy:[/QUOTE]

no worries, i wasnt trying to be a boner. I think im in at $10 or less though I expect it to be more. they couldnt even manage 50% for ds2 so im sure they wont go out of their way for moh.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I picked up DS1, now to sell my sealed PS3 copy.....

Edit: I guess I already sold it a few months ago for 11.25 credit to Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I lose track of games like that too. I once bought Prey and when I went to put it with my games there was already a copy there. lmao

[quote name='Evil Merlin']I have Dead Space 2 retail version, but my Dead Space 1 was added to my EADM account with my cd-key from Steam.

However I just noticed the CD-Key option isn't available for the game in the library. So maybe it's not available to be added to EADM anymore?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't see a key listed for DS1 in my library either. But I have DS2 on steam and I was able to activate it on EADM with the key provided.

Edit - Just found this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1872361
Haven't tried it yet though as I don't have DS1 installed.

[quote name='wilflare']anyone thinks Witcher will be back for USD4.99 this week again?[/QUOTE]

It's $5 for one day next week at Good Old Games (GOG.com), as I posted here.

It was $5 on Steam during the last Winter sale, and $6.80 during the 2010 Summer sale. I wouldn't be surprised to see $5 again during the 2011 summer sale (if!).

GOG is a sister company of CD Projeckt Red, the people who make the Witcher games. That is why they will be selling The Witcher 2 DRM-free, and the only one doing so. Plus, a TON of bonuses if you preorder Witcher 2 at GOG. It's worth checking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back