Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='brandonandtiff']Try the demo, it's only 600mb. Seems like a great game so far.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I always forget about demos on Steam. I got an okay gaming PC back in November, then just got in the habit during the christmas sale of just buying what looked interesting

Any opinions on the Sam & Max collection? I did try the XBLA versions and liked them but their high price turned me off. Also does anyone know their file sizes?

About HOARD:

I bought it in a 4-pack (and shared the price with some of you, IIRC). It's fun. It's really polished and sparkly. It's a bit repetitive.

Unfortunately, nobody is playing it. It quickly fell off the top-100 Steam games-being-played list, and that makes it hard to put a game together if you don't have friends playing it.

There is no in-game chat or voice, but if you open a steam chat and turn on voice, you can use that. again, you would need to be playing with friends on your Steam list to do this.

When I bought it, I played Keyboard and Mouse (KM) and thought that it would be better with a controller. Recently I acquired an Xbox controller for my PC, and I was surprised that it wasn't outright better. A controller gives me 360-degree turning, where KM is just 8 turning positions, but I found KM better for tight maneuvering.

Um, what else can I say. Matches take 8 minutes to play, and it's common for people who aren't winning to drop out. I hate that. But if you play in cooperative mode, nobody drops out... and it gives you individual scores at the end, so there's a slight competitive element to cooperative, too. But the AI is good, so if a player drops out, you don't really miss them.

Lots of maps, tailored for 2-, 3-, or 4-player games. The demo only gives you a few of these, but the Demo gives you a pretty good idea of gameplay.

I'm not going to gush "OMG this game is totally worth $5, buy it immediately!!!!!" But I think $5 is a good price for this game. You'll get a few hours of entertainment from it; maybe more if you have friends with headsets who want to play with you. I actually drool to think about the damage that a coordinated team with headsets could do in Co-op ...

As I've been typing this, I've been logging in to Steam in the background so I can get the review I left for my friends. Here it is:

[quote name='me on Steam']
HOARD received a disappointing reception from the Steam community. I enjoy playing this game, but it quickly fell off the top 100 games list. There's nobody playing this now, which makes matchmaking difficult. While the AI is pretty good (better than me, actually), it's more fun to play with human opponents and their quirky styles.

The gameplay is fun. Fast-paced and frantic, like an arcade game. In multiplayer, however, there is no way to talk to the people in your game. If you're playing with people on your friends list, I suppose you could use Steam Chat to open up a voice channel, but for the most part you're playing blindly with strangers. This is OK, generally, except that matches take 8 minutes (I believe) and players sometimes drop out if they're losing. The Co-op game mode has the best chance of keeping a foursome together.

Whatever, it mostly works, even though nobody plays. If you buy this, hit me up. I'd install it again to play with someone I know. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='ohboy10451']Any opinions on the Sam & Max collection? I did try the XBLA versions and liked them but their high price turned me off. Also does anyone know their file sizes?[/QUOTE]

I had season 1 on disk - I think all six episodes were under a gigabyte, TOTAL.

Can't speak for seasons 2 and 3, but I imagine not much bigger.

Picked up Trackmania. Was just thinking about how I wanted it the other day but did not want to spend $40 on it. Considering how little it's dropped when on sale before, $10 seems pretty damn good.

[quote name='ohboy10451']Any opinions on the Sam & Max collection? I did try the XBLA versions and liked them but their high price turned me off. Also does anyone know their file sizes?[/QUOTE]

I liked the original game a lot. Season 1 seems to be a little over a gig. Each episode is about ranges from 215mb - 275mb x 6? Season 2 episodes are all 256mb x 5. Season three is where the episodes get bigger. Smallest was 475mb and biggest was about 635mb I think. I think season 3 is close to 3gbs at ~2.6gb

[quote name='justme99z']Any input on Hoard? It looks interesting but cant really tell from the little I have seen...[/QUOTE]

Oops forgot to comment on this. Its a fun game, but if you want make sure to have people to play with. I'm not sure if it works the same on the pc, but in order to play the other maps on co-op you need to have a certain # of players. I recommend it if you have several other friends interested. At least this is my experience on ps3..

Hoard is great fun. But like gcorlett said, it's mostly dead. Make sure you'll have friends to play it with.

Still waiting for World in Conflict....

[quote name='Phasher99']For people who don't know - Trackmania Nations Forever is free on Steam.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/11020/

Might want to give that a try before buying United Forever if you're on the fence. There's a little bit of discussion on the steam forums about the differences.[/QUOTE]

What ARE the differences? I can't find these discussions you're talking about.

Any opinions on DUNGEONS anyone?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Hoard is great fun. But like gcorlett said, it's mostly dead. Make sure you'll have friends to play it with.

Still waiting for World in Conflict....[/QUOTE]

I wish I had friends to play it with :(

I've never played a racing game on a PC. Seems to me like playing a racing game with a mouse/KB would be kind of weird. Anyone w/ experience with this (with TrackMania, or in general) care to comment?

[quote name='madcatz1999']I've never played a racing game on a PC. Seems to me like playing a racing game with a mouse/KB would be kind of weird. Anyone w/ experience with this (with TrackMania, or in general) care to comment?[/QUOTE]

use a controller?

[quote name='madcatz1999']I've never played a racing game on a PC. Seems to me like playing a racing game with a mouse/KB would be kind of weird. Anyone w/ experience with this (with TrackMania, or in general) care to comment?[/QUOTE]

I played a little of the free version. Looks like all you use are the arrow keys (enter to respawn) and it works really well.

Anyone know if you can customize controller settings in Trackmania? I tried the free version and liked it but the default controls are weird (i.e. accidentally pushing in the left stick a little on a hard turn pauses the game and brings up the menu). Overall this game seems like a good time.

Oh I knew Steam would get me again eventually.

The free version of Trackmania was one of the first things I installed when I got my new laptop a couple years ago. Loved it and have been waiting for a good price drop ever since. I'll happily grab it at today's price.

You can race with KB but it is going to be a lot harder than with an analog method. The place I saw it the most was lining up jumps but it's definitely doable and you can get some commendable times but it is a lot more fun and easier with a controller. It's the equivalent of using a controller instead of KB/Mouse in an FPS. Sure you can do it and some people can do it really well but the people using the KB/mouse are going to have an inherent advantage.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Hmmmm, for the trackmania on sale is there any customization on the cars? like engines shocks ect?[/QUOTE]

No customization on the cars besides your paint job. In the paid version there are different cars that handle MUCH differently but the track you're playing will determine the type of car you're driving. In other words, it's always going to be a level playing field.

[quote name='rybrad']Anyone know if you can customize controller settings in Trackmania? I tried the free version and liked it but the default controls are weird (i.e. accidentally pushing in the left stick a little on a hard turn pauses the game and brings up the menu). Overall this game seems like a good time.[/QUOTE]

You can definitely customize the buttons on your controller however you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know any Diablo style games on steam other then Torchlight, Titan Quest, Numen, Sacred or Dungeon Siege? I really have the itch to play one....but I think I may own them all.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Does anyone know any Diablo style games on steam other then Torchlight, Titan Quest, Numen, Sacred or Dungeon Siege? I really have the itch to play one....but I think I may own them all.[/QUOTE]

There's also Avencast, Greed : Black Border, and Hazen.

[quote name='Zbornak']There's also Avencast, Greed : Black Border, and Hazen.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Had not heard of most of those! I will look in to them, hopefully my pc runs them, they are quality and not too expensive! Much obliged any way you look at it!

[quote name='MSI Magus']Does anyone know any Diablo style games on steam other then Torchlight, Titan Quest, Numen, Sacred or Dungeon Siege? I really have the itch to play one....but I think I may own them all.[/QUOTE]

lol, same here bro. i think you just named all the good ones. I actually ended up continuing Untold Legends on my PSP today. its been a few years since I played this game, but damn do I love me dungeon hack-n-slashers.
the only other good pc d-clones i can think of are Divine Divinity and Hellgate London.
Divine Divinity is old but great, and is heavy on story.
Hellgate isnt exactly a diablo clone. its more 3rd person shooter/melee-ish. i never got that far in it cuz i found it pretty boring. but there are people who seem to like it a lot.

Bought Trackmania...pretty damn fun arcade-ish racer with lots of variety from the few tracks I tried in 25 minutes. It was hard using the arrow keys to steer...then I plugged in my USB controller and it was all good :D

So far it's worth my $10...

Don't forget Magicka.

[quote name='etcrane']Anyone think AC: Brotherhood will be part of the Ubi sale?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Steam']EXCLUDES IL-2 STURMOVIK CLIFFS OF DOVER AND ASSASSIN'S CREED BROTHERHOOD.[/QUOTE]

Sucks, but hopefully it will be on sale during the summer sale.

[quote name='etcrane']Anyone think AC: Brotherhood will be part of the Ubi sale?[/QUOTE]

99% sure it won't be. When it was announced in the news release that all Ubisoft titles were 33% off, it specifically stated that it excluded AC: Brotherhood.

Hmm, guess I'll wait it out, looking for a PC copy to replace my 360 version. Eh, I can wait ... still haven't played most of II and I've heard playing Brotherhood will ruin most of II's plot.

[quote name='spuffin']
You can definitely customize the buttons on your controller however you want.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info, convinced me to pick it up.

[quote name='Khamous']What does the trackmania full add that the free one doesnt have in order to be worth the $10?[/QUOTE]

5 different track types, as opposed to just the one of Trackmania free IIRC. I'd say it's worth it if you really like the free version.

[quote name='Khamous']What does the trackmania full add that the free one doesnt have in order to be worth the $10?[/QUOTE]
The free version has also been crippled with the freezone. they kick you after 5 tracks and restrict what servers you can go into

Am I the only one that isn't endeared to Sam & Max? I got the Wii compilation of the first season, and I found the gameplay got old. Maybe because I was playing the episodes back to back? Perhaps these kind of games do better with a nice gap in between episodes.

Here's a question for folks that own these season packs on Steam. I originally owned Sam & Max Wii, but I didn't finish it. I stopped playing on Abe Lincoln Must Die. If I buy the Steam complete pack, will I be able to start Season 1 at the 4th episode, or will it require me to play through the three previous episodes first?

[quote name='utopianmachine']Here's a question for folks that own these season packs on Steam. I originally owned Sam & Max Wii, but I didn't finish it. I stopped playing on Abe Lincoln Must Die. If I buy the Steam complete pack, will I be able to start Season 1 at the 4th episode, or will it require me to play through the three previous episodes first?[/QUOTE]

All of the episodes show up as individual games, so yes.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Am I the only one that isn't endeared to Sam & Max? I got the Wii compilation of the first season, and I found the gameplay got old. Maybe because I was playing the episodes back to back? Perhaps these kind of games do better with a nice gap in between episodes.[/QUOTE]

I like playing them with my Fiance. You have to like adventure games. I never used to enjoy them when I was younger but I appreciate them now.

[quote name='septim']Does Trackmania have full gamepad support? I'd assume so, but the Steam page doesn't have it listed.[/QUOTE]

I know Trackmania Nations Forever does because I have done it so I am would be almost 99% sure Trackmania does as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back