Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SqueeMK2']Only real disadvantages for free to play players is they won't get hat drops.[/QUOTE]
Hooray for most of us having already paid for the full hat simulator experience. I give that aspect a big fat meh anyway.

They'll probably want the TF2 being free ad up on the main store page for the weekend and then give us the summer sale next week.

[quote name='fishphoenix']They'll probably want the TF2 being free ad up on the main store page for the weekend and then give us the summer sale next week.[/QUOTE]

Very effective probably.

[quote name='etcrane']Anyone know why neither of the HALO PC games are on Steam or any other DL service for that matter?[/QUOTE]
Because the Halo games are published by Microsoft and by making them exclusive to GFWL naturally everyone will flock to their service and ignore that stupid Halo-less Steam.

Also, for the last few years MS has been basically ignoring the PC as a platform, only making a half-assed effort with GFWL because they saw Steam making truckloads of money and decided they wanted a piece of that.

Perhaps one day they'll extract their heads out from their collective posteriors and try to sell us PC gamers product again, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Since TF2 going free to play is really happening now, I guess they're going to delay the summer sale a bit.[/QUOTE]

That is the opposite of what I'd expect. People get drawn in by free game(s) and then they're hit with incredibly low prices every day for like, 2 weeks. Guess how many of those free game people they've now made in to customers?

Yeah, but they want people to know about TF2 first! Once the summer sale hits it completely takes over the site. Knowing Valve they probably want to spend at least a weekend, if not a week, testing out all the new servers and the influx of new players before jumping over to the Summer sale, which will slow down the Steam network all by itself.

[quote name='terb73']Lawl, too bad SC2 is created by the most greedy company in the history of video games. SC2 on steam will never, ever happen.[/QUOTE]

And you are basing your review of "Greedy" company on what exactly?

You sound like a bitter wow player

Capcom would like a word with you about greed.. Thanks

[quote name='dmdragon']And you are basing your review of "Greedy" company on what exactly?

You sound like a bitter wow player

Capcom would like a word with you about greed.. Thanks[/QUOTE]

I think he means published.
Activision's greed as part of ActivisionBlizzard overpowers Blizzard's awesomeness unfortunately.

The Europa Universalis games are on sale until 6/30. The Chronicles edition (which is really the complete edition, the edition called Complete does not include one of the expacs) is only $7.50

Europa Universalis III Chronicles - $7.50 (includes Divine Wind and Heir to the Throne expacs)
Europa Universalis III Complete - $3.75 (does NOT include Divine Wind and Heir to the Throne expacs)

Edit: Just realized this is a wiki post, so I edited these into the OP.

Any opinions on this?

Reviews seem pretty good...

[quote name='Rehykja']The Europa Universalis games are on sale until 6/30. The Chronicles edition (which is really the complete edition, the edition called Complete does not include one of the expacs) is only $7.50

Europa Universalis III Chronicles - $7.50 (includes Divine Wind expac)
Europa Universalis III Complete - $3.75 (does NOT include Divine Wind expac)

Edit: Just realized this is a wiki post, so I edited these into the OP.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Pheace']Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light on GG for €3.74, should activate on Steam I think[/QUOTE]

GOL requires Steam period.

[quote name='jkimrey']Any opinions on this?

Reviews seem pretty good...[/QUOTE]

I haven't played much of it other than the demo (which sold me), but it seems like a pretty dang deep strategy sim. There's a demo of the base EU III game on Steam that'll give you a good idea of how it plays.

I'd say the EU III game and expansions are worth it. I still haven't gotten the latest expansion but I've put over 30 hours into the game. If your unsure try the demo, but keep in mind the game has a learning curve so don't let it scare you off.

Think I'm gonna grab it. It probably doesn't have controller support, but, whatever. I love San Andreas

It ain't working for me. Got to the "Transaction is almost complete" page and I clicked on the thing, but it does nothing. Gotta wait and see if I get charged. Haven't gotten notification of a charge yet.

[quote name='ShinSolidus']Think I'm gonna grab it. It probably doesn't have controller support, but, whatever. I love San Andreas

It ain't working for me. Got to the "Transaction is almost complete" page and I clicked on the thing, but it does nothing. Gotta wait and see if I get charged. Haven't gotten notification of a charge yet.[/QUOTE]

I have it for PC and I'm pretty sure it has controller support. Been a while since I played it. I used an Xbox 360 USB controller and recall it working, but it was a little clunky.

[quote name='ShinSolidus']Think I'm gonna grab it. It probably doesn't have controller support, but, whatever. I love San Andreas

It ain't working for me. Got to the "Transaction is almost complete" page and I clicked on the thing, but it does nothing. Gotta wait and see if I get charged. Haven't gotten notification of a charge yet.[/QUOTE]

It does, but it's better to use a controller that does not have analog triggers like the xbox 360 controller. They won't work.

I personally use a DualShock 2 to play the older GTAs. All the buttons work.

[quote name='CreepinDeth']It does, but it's better to use a controller that does not have analog triggers like the xbox 360 controller. They won't work.

I personally use a DualShock 2 to play the older GTAs. All the buttons work.[/QUOTE]

Are you using a DS2 to USB adapter or something like that? If so, any recommendations on where to buy?

[quote name='Rehykja']Are you using a DS2 to USB adapter or something like that? If so, any recommendations on where to buy?[/QUOTE]

Indeed I am using an adapter. I bought mine at Fry's. It's similar to this one on Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/PS2-USB-Dual-..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1309025549&sr=1-1

It's not the same one I have but looks just like it. It seems that the tech is licensed through a bunch of companies and they all just happen to look the same. It's only $4 and change. I don't think it would be a bad idea to try it out.

[quote name='CreepinDeth']Indeed I am using an adapter. I bought mine at Fry's. It's similar to this one on Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/PS2-USB-Dual-..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1309025549&sr=1-1

It's not the same one I have but looks just like it. It seems that the tech is licensed through a bunch of companies and they all just happen to look the same. It's only $4 and change. I don't think it would be a bad idea to try it out.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, $4 and change sounds like a good price to have the option to use a PS2 controller on PC when I need to. Thanks man!

[quote name='Rehykja']Awesome, $4 and change sounds like a good price to have the option to use a PS2 controller on PC when I need to. Thanks man![/QUOTE]

I use a DS3 on mine, there is a program that will emulate the 360 controller one all those games that automatically set it up without actually buying the adapter and a 360 controller.

[quote name='dmdragon']I use a DS3 on mine, there is a program that will emulate the 360 controller one all those games that automatically set it up without actually buying the adapter and a 360 controller.[/QUOTE]

Do the L2 and R2 triggers work on older games? That's one of the reasons to use older controllers, because analog triggers, like on the xbox 360, won't work on them.

[quote name='CreepinDeth']Do the L2 and R2 triggers work on older games? That's one of the reasons to use older controllers, because analog triggers, like on the xbox 360, won't work on them.[/QUOTE]

If you use a button mapping program like Pinnacle, you can map the triggers as binary inputs, even though they are actually analog. That is how I played San Andreas using a 360 controller.

[quote name='dmdragon']I use a DS3 on mine, there is a program that will emulate the 360 controller one all those games that automatically set it up without actually buying the adapter and a 360 controller.[/QUOTE]

So you're connecting the DS3 to your PC wireless through Bluetooth I take it?

[quote name='Rehykja']So you're connecting the DS3 to your PC wireless through Bluetooth I take it?[/QUOTE]

Nope, don't have a bluetooth adapter so I use the usb.

Either way, I like the DS2. I figured there would be programs out there, but I didn't want to bother. Plus, I can't stand the L2 and R2 on the DS3.

[quote name='Bonobos']Anybody think that Batman AA: GOTY for $5.99 in gamersgate daily deal is a good price to get? Or I should wait for the Steam Summer Sale?[/QUOTE]

Fantastic game...got it for $7.50 on Steam. Didn't play for the longest time and just did one day out of boredom...I was blown away! It's a good price...if you don't care about not having it on Steam. I don't think it's a Steamworks game? It does have GFWL...

[quote name='Hizaki']Fantastic game...got it for $7.50 on Steam. Didn't play for the longest time and just did one day out of boredom...I was blown away! It's a good price...if you don't care about not having it on Steam. I don't think it's a Steamworks game? It does have GFWL...[/QUOTE]

Batman: AA on the PC only requires G4WL.

[quote name='Hizaki']Fantastic game...got it for $7.50 on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Already got 100% achievement though. But for the sake of the price I bought it with the last GTA: San Andreas deal on steam as a gift :D
By the way, today deal on Steam seems not any good at all. Can't wait for their summer sale. :roll:

[quote name='RockMySocks10']Fingers cross for Summer sale starting tomorrow

what im hoping for
Magicka 75% off
Terraria 50% off
Metro 2033 75% off
Dead Rising 2 80% off[/QUOTE]
Even if Terraria doesn't go on sale i recommend getting it anyway, I've put countless hours into it, And with the frequent content updates it's well work $9.99

[quote name='tankyroo']Even if Terraria doesn't go on sale i recommend getting it anyway, I've put countless hours into it, And with the frequent content updates it's well work $9.99[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Terraria is a steal already at $10, especially if you got a couple friends to play it with.

[quote name='Subliminal']So who else is going to be refreshing steam at 1pm EST tomorrow hoping to see the Summer Sale ? :applause:[/QUOTE]

I thought we decided the 30th was the likely start date, why must you get my hopes up for tomorrow???

It's 50/50 on when it'll start. The Winter Sales mentioned in the OP started Wednesday/Monday/Monday, in that order; the last summer sale started on a Thursday, if what I've read is correct. So there's precedence for it being on either day.

[quote name='VexxedCS']Yeah, Terraria is a steal already at $10, especially if you got a couple friends to play it with.

I thought we decided the 30th was the likely start date, why must you get my hopes up for tomorrow???[/QUOTE]

You could wonder why they would bother to have a start of an event on the same day as the Steam Sale start. It's just going to get ignored that particular day.

Unless of course the Summer sale is a different event this year and more 'treasure hunt' like.

Assuming it's part of the Summer sale all it indicates is that by Thursday the Summer sale should start/have started.

[quote name='Subliminal']So who else is going to be refreshing steam at 1pm EST tomorrow hoping to see the Summer Sale ? :applause:[/QUOTE]

This thread on the Steam Forums persuasively makes the case that the Sale will start on the 30th, based on the mods and comments of many indie developers.

But sure, we might get a teaser notice this week. Steam already has me checking in every day at 10 pacific to see what the deal of the day is. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back