Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
75% off Hydrophobia Prophecy on Steam for Midweek Madness

According to the developers twitter supposedly... sigh.

The serious same thing could be Summer sale start (= game on sale) and monday it's a daily? xD

KF and Serious sam both this weekend could bode well for a summer sale though compared to either having something this weekend.

[quote name='GuardianE']But it says "owners".[/QUOTE]

They assume you will buy it after playing for a few minutes, while most will wait until the free trial is over. If there even is one.

"Even more on Monday" would lead me to believe the Steam summer sale starts this weekend, and Serious Sam HD is going to be one of the daily deals on Monday.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Anyone have any kind words for this one? Looks like it might be a decent game.[/QUOTE]

I got it for $5 on XBLA and was satisfied. Its decent.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Anyone have any kind words for this one? Looks like it might be a decent game.[/QUOTE]

Kinda wondering the same thing.

Midweek madness says it's ending 6 hours earlier than normal (!)

That said, the counter seems to be running the normal amount of time, ending at 4pm pacific

Any opinions on Blue Toad? Says it's 1-4 players co-op. Is it fun if you play single player?

I also got it for 400 points on XBLA. It was okay for that price. $3.00 is certainly fair.

[quote name='Sinsarmor']quote from devolver digital, the creators of the serious sam games -

"This weekend there will be a whole bunch of new Serious Sam HD owners on Steam. Even more on Monday. #SeriousFireworks"

http://twitter.com/#!/devolverdigital

well somethings coming i just hope what ever it is was worth the wait :)[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the Summer Sale will start Thurs/Friday (where almost all prices are slashed) with SSHD being a daily deal on Monday for an extreme 90% discount. To the guy who said 'free weekend,' they aren't going to do a free weekend promo on SSHD...

[quote name='utopianmachine']Any opinions on Blue Toad? Says it's 1-4 players co-op. Is it fun if you play single player?
[/QUOTE]

Eh, it's an extremely casual/easy puzzle solver. If I recall right it was even cheaper during the Holiday sale (around $2) -- even if you're interested you're still better off waiting.

I'm about an hour or so into Hydrophobia and I think it's almost worth $3. It's woefully underpolished and has weak craftsmanship. The water looks like gelatin but still flows back and forth in a weighty manner. The developers have been behaving bizarrely since the XBLA original release, never quite managing to approximate normal human behavior.

Checked the FAQ for the XBLA version and it appears I'm at the 40%-ish mark and have only just seen the barest flecks of combat. The whirrr-blast charge up of the basic ammo is a satisfying mechanic.

I can't really decide if I like it. The basic level design, pacing, graphical style, plot... pretty much all of the intangibles... they just aren't anything special, but the crunch still isn't bad. It's not a waste of time...

It's hard to describe. I'd put it like eating at McDonalds, for their Chicken McNuggets or their Sausage and Egg McMuffins. They aren't made well. They're cheap. But they have that certain texture that is satisfying, that makes them nice to eat now and again, but certainly as a rarity.

EDIT: Serious Sam HD is decent but gets boring fast. Calling it an "old-school" shooter is a misnomer. Doom and Duke and Dark Forces never ground the game to a halt to fight 100 of the same enemy.

And then later for 120.

And then again.

And then 150.

And then again.

[quote name='RollingSkull']EDIT: Serious Sam HD is decent but gets boring fast. Calling it an "old-school" shooter is a misnomer. Doom and Duke and Dark Forces never ground the game to a halt to fight 100 of the same enemy.

And then later for 120.

And then again.

And then 150.

And then again.[/QUOTE]

If fighting huge numbers of enemies is something that brings a game to a "halt" for you, Serious Sam probably isn't your game. Most fans love SS because of those enemy counts.

Perhaps they should insist on better basic gameplay fundamentals and pacing rather than being wowed by simple numbers. As it stands, comparing Serious Sam to the "classics" is an insult to the latter.

Well from what I've heard Hydrophobia is only about four or five hours long at most.
I think 5 hours is a stretch by most measures. Reviewers quote 3-4 more often than 5.

As it stands though, I think the point is you can't expect that, just because it is short, it is tightly packed like an arcade game. It's 3-4 hours with the same sort of fluff you can expect from standard games.

I've always felt Serious Sam was pretty good. It's not the kind of game you play if you're looking for depth, you pick it up because you want to shoot hordes of crazy enemies for a while.

If you really want to see the the full potential of it, use a cheat code and skip ahead to the last couple levels. Hundreds of enemies relentlessly swarming at you in a massive arena, wave after wave of them forcing you to use every weapon in your arsenal as you slowly run out of ammo and health... If that doesn't appeal to you, you're probably not in the game's target audience. Personally, I will probably jump at the sound of skeleton hooves and distant screaming for the rest of my life.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Perhaps they should insist on better basic gameplay fundamentals and pacing rather than being wowed by simple numbers. As it stands, comparing Serious Sam to the "classics" is an insult to the latter.[/QUOTE]

I've always considered SS to be a game that got the core shooting gameplay spot on. Otherwise, the enemy counts would make for a pretty crappy game. But hey, to each their own.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Perhaps they should insist on better basic gameplay fundamentals and pacing rather than being wowed by simple numbers. As it stands, comparing Serious Sam to the "classics" is an insult to the latter.[/QUOTE]
If it were as easy to do as you seem to think it is and all you have to do is throw a huge enemy count on top of crappy everything else to have success, there would have been more games of the type to get popular in recent years. Off the top of my head, I can think of Serious Sam and Painkiller; everything else that is similar has faded into obscurity.

It's got more going for it than simply numbers.

[quote name='RollingSkull']

EDIT: Serious Sam HD is decent but gets boring fast. Calling it an "old-school" shooter is a misnomer. Doom and Duke and Dark Forces never ground the game to a halt to fight 100 of the same enemy.

And then later for 120.

And then again.

And then 150.

And then again. [/QUOTE]
Woah... encroaching on sacrilege there!

Serious Sam is the very definition of an old-school shooter but it took the genre in its own direction. The depth comes in juggling the weapons necessary to take each enemy down the fastest and the endurance factor is part of what it intends to do. Take your time exploring each level - there are many many secrets in each. Lots of great traps too.

Having said that, SSHD:SE is the better of those two and is quite exciting.

Serious Sam may be slightly repetitive in that it requires endurance, but boring, sir, it is not! (maybe you just don't like the sub-genre?)

[quote name='Zipomatic2']For $3, heck I'll give Hydrophobia a shot, and the fact that it is a short game is a huge bonus for me (I can say I completed it then!)[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you. I love short games, easier to beat, haha.

Still contemplating if I want Hydrophobia or not, I already have a backlog and who knows how much it'll grow with the Summer sale.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']I totally agree with you. I love short games, easier to beat, haha.

Still contemplating if I want Hydrophobia or not, I already have a backlog and who knows how much it'll grow with the Summer sale.[/QUOTE]

3rded.

[quote name='gunm']$3 for four to five hours of entertainment seems fair enough to me. I bit on it. :p[/QUOTE]

Not if you have better things to do with your time (good games to play instead).

I've been following Hydrophobia for so long that I can't imagine skipping it for $3. Even if the super ultra deluxe "we fixed everything" version still isn't amazing.

[quote name='doodofdoods']I'd look at the PSN deals this week, like Deathspank and Shank. I expect both to be on sale for the same price on steam, or perhaps even cheaper.[/QUOTE]
I have both on XBLA, but since this is a large sale I expect there should more games than just three and I am bound to not have a few of them.

Chewbacca's Abortion;8613694 said:
So, any speculation on what we will be getting for the summer sale other than Serious Sam?

If it's anything like the other one, lots of Developer packs for cheap, the bulk of the collection for sale for decent-great prices, and daily sales for decent - awesome prices.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']I totally agree with you. I love short games, easier to beat, haha.

Still contemplating if I want Hydrophobia or not, I already have a backlog and who knows how much it'll grow with the Summer sale.[/QUOTE]

I have it on XBLA and I loved the game, granted it's the only game at the time (Fallout 3 has done it once now) to totally lock up my 360 not once but twice, but it was fun nonetheless. I figured for $3 I'd give the revamped PC version a shot since I enjoyed that one so much.

It took me about 5-6 hours to beat, some areas were a little confusing, definitely a fun game overall though.

I bought Hydrophobia. 3$ is very fair to try something new. Plus the devs really seem to have put a bunch of time in and fix things up making a superior version. I'll probably give it a spin later today.
Bring on that summer sale!

[quote name='FaintDeftone']This weekend maybe?[/QUOTE]
Lots of speculation that it'll be tomorrow; if not then, this weekend for sure. Can't see them starting it much later than that, personally. But we'll see.

My body is ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back