Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shosh']elder scrolls oblivion goty at 6.80 is cheap right? is that game any good?[/QUOTE]

Yea that game is awesome, especially as a primer to Skyrim coming out later this year.
It's 5 years old and shows a bit, but you can d/l mods that make it look killer. Still nice looking w/o the mods, too.

[quote name='shosh']elder scrolls oblivion goty at 6.80 is cheap right? is that game any good?[/QUOTE]

People like this expect to get something for nothing. You're seriously asking if $6.80 is cheap?

It's worth repeating to anyone new to the sale this year... don't buy anything that isn't a daily deal until the last day.

Just come back in an hour or two and they should have this figured out. I wouldn't buy anything right now with all the bugs appearing anyway.

summersale.png

Looking good, funny last 4 lines.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']WAY Worth the $7. Hell it's worth a full $50.

Hopefully Terrarria gets on sale for under $5. I got a friend who might want it, and if it's under $5 I might just buy it for her to play with us.[/QUOTE]

You may, at best, see a 25% off for Terraria, mostly since it was released just a little over a month ago. Also the fact that it's still one of Steam's top sellers makes it seem less likely it'll go down any lower.

Despite that, I do hope it goes on sale so I can entice some friends into getting it. :D

I gotta say, it does amaze me a bit that Steam has not gotten down deploying big sales well yet. They always stumble for like an hour trying to get it all setup lol.

[quote name='shingletingle']People like this expect to get something for nothing. You're seriously asking if $6.80 is cheap?[/QUOTE]
thats because like any other steam sale, it can be a daily deal.

Echoing another 'yes', although I would buy the deluxe pack for the extra $1.90.

[quote name='jaide']Games part of a complete pack can't be gifted right?[/QUOTE]

Unless specifically mentioned, correct. Valve games will generally give you an extra copy to gift if you already own them, while most others won't.

[quote name='SpecialK7225']How do we tell which ones are daily deals and which ones aren't?[/QUOTE]

Wait until their store front is updated. Otherwise we find out tomorrow when they stop being on sale for that much.

[quote name='hal']It's worth repeating to anyone new to the sale this year... don't buy anything that isn't a daily deal until the last day.[/QUOTE]

Is this because some of the daily deals and "regular" deals overlap?

I'm kind of new to the summer sale this year. How long does it typically last? Also, do the prices on day 1 last all the way until the last day?

[quote name='Genocidal']Unless specifically mentioned, correct. Valve games will generally give you an extra copy to gift if you already own them, while most others won't.[/QUOTE]
wait, they give you extras to gift if you already own them?

im looking at the valve pack and i have l4d1, l4d2, all CS iterations, portal, hl2 and all those deathmatch iterations.

if i can pick it up and sell off those pieces for like 5 bucks would be killer

[quote name='utopianmachine']You're my new best friend.

:whistle2:s

Kinda a big deal.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion[/QUOTE]

Heh trust me you dont want to be my friend. Im a loud mouth and a horrible womanizer. Seeing as you already admitted your a girl we cant be friends ;)

More serious note, you should think about getting an Ipad. Steam and IOS are the place to be for indy and casual games right now. Between the two I can play dozens of great games for $1-$5 each every week if I want to. I mean seriously I still play my consoles and I still play hardcore games...but I think I could keep myself entertained for dirt cheap for eternity.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']EA = Joke[/QUOTE]

I said earlier in this thread we would see by this summer sale if EA and Steam were going to work together or that the Crysis 2 thing was just a small episode. Seeing as how nearly nothing is on sale, which doesn't surprise considering they are having a sale on Origin, it kind of makes me think they will probably be just pushing Origin from now on with sales, but who knows.

It just sucks that now that I have money EA decides to not put Dragon Age Ultimate on sale...

Good deals from my Wish List:

Defense Grid DLC is 50% off (50 cents each!)
Lume is $2.38!! (that's for you Utopianmachine)
Frozen Synapse - 2 copies for $17 (it's always 2 copies)
Harvest Massive Encounter is $2.50... but I don't like the new videos they posted.
Cities in Motion sees it's first real deal: $13

There are some modest discounts on everything else. Hoping to see some sort of front page soon that explains the deals. Daily discounts, packages, etc.

[quote name='shosh']wait, they give you extras to gift if you already own them?

im looking at the valve pack and i have l4d1, l4d2, all CS iterations, portal, hl2 and all those deathmatch iterations.

if i can pick it up and sell off those pieces for like 5 bucks would be killer[/QUOTE]

Hell, I have 90 percent of that pack including portal 2. I'm sure I could get the whole 50 or more out of the pack separately for the gifted ones and get the ones I don't have free lol

[quote name='scarhawk']*looks at screenshots*
EWWW![/QUOTE]

Lol, a lot of people hated missing it last year when it was part of one of the 5 indie games for $5 thing. Recettear is normally $19.99.

I enjoyed it. It's sort of like Atlier Annie, but with dungeon crawling added.

[quote name='ndawgdrake']Is this because some of the daily deals and "regular" deals overlap?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, something that is 33% off today might be the daily deal tomorrow for 75% off.

It always pisses me off that those packs have hugely inflated prices. I mean it claims you save $200 but when you look at it half those games are overpriced. Its like yeah I get all these great EA games...but in reality its like a 20% discount not 90% because most of the stuff is still overpriced.

Reminds me of stores that mark an item up 20% before discounting it 30%.

[quote name='ndawgdrake']Is this because some of the daily deals and "regular" deals overlap?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, without fail there are certain items that are on "regular" sale during the event that will be featured in daily sales at a much deeper discount.

There have only been a couple of exceptions to that rule - most notriously The Witcher, which was on sale for an unbelievable price only to have Atari pull the rug out from underneath of it a day or two later.

[quote name='Genocidal']Also worth noting: Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is 33% off. This is only the second time it's been on sale as far back as I can remember; it usually isn't discounted during their holiday sales. http://store.steampowered.com/app/2600/[/QUOTE]

I think that was the first game I picked up from a steam sale, back in 2007 or 2008.

[quote name='dmdragon']I'm kind of new to the summer sale this year. How long does it typically last? Also, do the prices on day 1 last all the way until the last day?[/QUOTE]

It looks like it's going to last 11 days or so, if the "time left on deal" counter on the daily deal is to be trusted. Typically they last at least a week though.

As for prices, the prices you're seeing now are pretty stable. Every day will have its own set of daily deals, which are reduced even further from the current sale price.

General rule of thumb to maximize savings: If you want to buy something, wait until the last day of the sale to see if it possibly goes on daily deal first.

[quote name='Genocidal']Unless specifically mentioned, correct. Valve games will generally give you an extra copy to gift if you already own them, while most others won't.[/QUOTE]

If someone could confirm that with this pack I would really appreciate it. I have 90% of these games as well but I would love to get Portal 2 and the few other games I am missing while being able to gift the other multiplayer games like L4D

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']It looks like it's going to last 11 days or so, if the "time left on deal" counter on the daily deal is to be trusted. Typically they last at least a week though.

As for prices, the prices you're seeing now are pretty stable. Every day will have its own set of daily deals, which are reduced even further from the current sale price.

General rule of thumb to maximize savings: If you want to buy something, wait until the last day of the sale to see if it possibly goes on daily deal first.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, ok that makes sense, and since these are digital you don't have to worry about something selling out. Thank you

And what is that program earlier that is showing the steam sales and comparing it with your game list?

My rule for steam sales is 75% off or better: buy it.

66% off: buy if I really want it, but wait for a daily sale.

50% off: Wait for a daily deal.

less than 50%: lol @ EA. Learn 2 steam sale.

For some reason, I think this only applies to the Orange Box.

[quote name='Wompdevil']If someone could confirm that with this pack I would really appreciate it. I have 90% of these games as well but I would love to get Portal 2 and the few other games I am missing while being able to gift the other multiplayer games like L4D[/QUOTE]

No. You cannot gift extra copies of games in the Valve Complete pack. Is that clear enough for you? :whistle2:D

It's best use is a gift for friends who are just getting into PC gaming. With one cheap purchase, you can get them about a dozen A+ games from the past 12 years.

Sale prices seem to be trickling up. Raceteer was part of a pack last time around that made it way cheaper. The indy packs were 5 games for $5 now they are 4 for 5 or worse. It seems like every steam sale the prices slowly trickle up.

[quote name='gcorlett']
Lume is $2.38!! (that's for you Utopianmachine)[/QUOTE]

Lume looks really great, but a little too short for my budget.

http://www.totalpcgaming.com/reviews/lume-review/

[quote name='MSI Magus']Heh trust me you dont want to be my friend. Im a loud mouth and a horrible womanizer. Seeing as you already admitted your a girl we cant be friends ;)

More serious note, you should think about getting an Ipad...[/QUOTE]

It's okay. I'm married and happy.

As for an iPad, waaaaaaaants. I know there's a bazillion games I would enjoy on it. Just not in the cards after recently getting a 3DS.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Gonna buy Recieteer when I get home. Can't pass up $5[/QUOTE]

You, Sir, are a wise man.

Just have to toss in my thoughts on Recettear - love it love it love it. Very fun game, lots of humor, several different characters (w/ different skills/playstyle) for the dungeons, decent shop-sim, and a new-game + mode of sorts (and like boss attack and some other stuff I believe, its been awhile). Obviously not as good as the indie pack from last year, but still a solid game in its own right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back