Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend skipping Reccetear. Got it from the 5 games for $5 pack a while back and it didn't really float my boat. Primarily because while I liked the basic premise (Running an RPG world shop) in practice it ended up just being a poor dungeon crawler with extra hoops to jump through to sell your crap.

Example, run your shop normally and you buy items wholesale and get a minor profit, and occasionally buy items from customers for a much bigger profit. Seems fairly straightforward there, but then you realize you can "Hire" an adventurer for 0 pay, go into a dungeon and beat the treasure out of monsters, take the treasure (The adventurer claiming none of it) and then sell it for 100% profit in your store. So at that point you're plundering dungeons, only instead of hammering the "Sell crap" button when you get back to town, you have to do a song and dance of pricing your loot and usually haggling a bit.

Picked up Back to the Future and Railworks 2.

Love that almost everything is on sale, even the shitty kind of games that I like.

Tried out Borderlands GOTY, and it's pretty obvious that it was made for consoles and then later ported to PC (The menu system in particular). I guess I can't complain much for the $6~ that I paid, but still... I can't help but feeling like it would be better/more streamlined on a console, especially since my PC has an outdated graphics card (8600GT).

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Tried out Borderlands GOTY, and it's pretty obvious that it was made for consoles and then later ported to PC (The menu system in particular). I guess I can't complain much for the $6~ that I paid, but still... I can't help but feeling like it would be better/more streamlined on a console, especially since my PC has an outdated graphics card (8600GT).[/QUOTE]

This is what everyone has said. either hook up a controller or get it for 360 is the general consensus.

So.. did I miss something that happened between EA and Valve which caused none of EA's games to be on sale..? With the exception of Medal of Honor (today's deal) and Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe Edition (the regular edition is holding at MSRP $19.99).

I was kinda hoping to pick up ME2 and maybe even Risk: Factions. :x

[quote name='immanewb']So.. did I miss something that happened between EA and Valve which caused none of EA's games to be on sale..? With the exception of Medal of Honor (today's deal) and Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe Edition (the regular edition is holding at MSRP $19.99).

I was kinda hoping to pick up ME2 and maybe even Risk: Factions. :x[/QUOTE]

Origin.com happened, unfortunately.

[quote name='immanewb']So.. did I miss something that happened between EA and Valve which caused none of EA's games to be on sale..? With the exception of Medal of Honor (today's deal) and Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe Edition (the regular edition is holding at MSRP $19.99).

There are still a lot of days left in the sale. Be patient!

[quote name='Needles-Kane']Is the upcoming Oblivion 5th Anniversary the same as the digital deluxe or is just GotY with that bonus material?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I got the same question, hoping someone can clarify! Thanks!

[quote name='SqueeMK2']I'd recommend skipping Reccetear. Got it from the 5 games for $5 pack a while back and it didn't really float my boat. Primarily because while I liked the basic premise (Running an RPG world shop) in practice it ended up just being a poor dungeon crawler with extra hoops to jump through to sell your crap.

Example, run your shop normally and you buy items wholesale and get a minor profit, and occasionally buy items from customers for a much bigger profit. Seems fairly straightforward there, but then you realize you can "Hire" an adventurer for 0 pay, go into a dungeon and beat the treasure out of monsters, take the treasure (The adventurer claiming none of it) and then sell it for 100% profit in your store. So at that point you're plundering dungeons, only instead of hammering the "Sell crap" button when you get back to town, you have to do a song and dance of pricing your loot and usually haggling a bit.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that opinion. I was on the fence on this game, but I think I'll pass now.

EA just recently launched their own Steam-wannabe called Origin. They also had a disagreement with Valve over Crysis 2 because of DLC policy or something-or-other, leading to the game being pulled from Steam. They're not really getting along right now, so it appears EA had a hissy fit and now they're boycotting the sale.

Joke's on them, I already bought what I wanted at the last sale. Except Dragon Age. And Bulletstorm. And Shank. And Deathspank. And... screw it, they don't need my money, I have plenty other games to choose from in this sale. Come on, $5 Dead Rising 2! (Hey, it could happen...)

[quote name='The End']Thanks for that opinion. I was on the fence on this game, but I think I'll pass now.[/QUOTE]
At least try the demo. It's something you either love or hate, once you get through the first bit of the game you'll know which it is.

I picked up Medal of Honor, bit.trip runner, and like many I thought EA games were missing from the sale. I did manage to find the Sims 3 Pack for $80, but I had to browse the store, as it wasn't advertised for some reason. There are a couple other packs for sale of EA games, but also not really advertised.

If EA continues pushing this Origin.com crap and Steam doesn't get some games in the future, then EA will lose business from me on the PC.

[quote name='VexxedCS']Origin.com happened, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='BitLooter']EA just recently launched their own Steam-wannabe called Origin. They also had a disagreement with Valve over Crysis 2 because of DLC policy or something-or-other, leading to the game being pulled from Steam. They're not really getting along right now, so it appears EA had a hissy fit and now they're boycotting the sale.

Joke's on them, I already bought what I wanted at the last sale. Except Dragon Age. And Bulletstorm. And Shank. And Deathspank. And... screw it, they don't need my money, I have plenty other games to choose from in this sale. Come on, $5 Dead Rising 2! (Hey, it could happen...)
[/QUOTE]

I was aware of EA's own digital distribution platform that was released recently, and the whole mess with Valve yanking an EA game, in which EA blames Valve because it was against some sort of agreements. I just had thought something else blew up between the two that I missed which caused Valve not to feature any of EA's games.

Shame, really. But here's to hoping that the two will learn to play nice with each other.

@BitLooter: Hah, I'm estimating the lowest DR2 would go is $10, since it's still stubbornly being priced at MSRP of $39.99 (while Amazon's boxed version of the game have been MSRP at $19.99 for quite some time). But I'll snatch it up without hesitation if it did hit $5! :D

[quote name='The End']Thanks for that opinion. I was on the fence on this game, but I think I'll pass now.[/QUOTE]

I agree with BitLooter on this one: try the demo at the very least. It's a game you'll either love or hate.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Not really. Usually the daily deals end up being where the bang is. I have not interest in buying any of the bundles and like I said you cant buy anything just on sale due to the fear it will be a daily deal.[/QUOTE]

(Today's daily deals are what I was talking about.)

[quote name='BitLooter']At least try the demo. It's something you either love or hate, once you get through the first bit of the game you'll know which it is.[/QUOTE]

&
[quote name='immanewb']I agree with BitLooter on this one: try the demo at the very least. It's a game you'll either love or hate.[/QUOTE]

Alright. I'll give the demo a shot before I decide.

I have a good feeling The Witcher 2 will be at least $20 during the holiday sale. I still haven't even played the first one since it's somewhere in my Steam backlog. So tempting though atm :lol:

hmm just tried Reccetear.
it's something you'll either love or hate
and personally, something better played with a controller or a mobile gaming device iPad/DS/PSP

[quote name='vlv723']I have a good feeling The Witcher 2 will be at least $20 during the holiday sale. I still haven't even played the first one since it's somewhere in my Steam backlog. So tempting though atm :lol:[/QUOTE]

Pshhh, skip the 1st game. At this point it really is kind of prehistoric, and the 2nd game is absolutely breathtaking.

I picked it up for 40 and almost immediately dumped 60 hours into the game. Half way through a 2nd play through now.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Pshhh, skip the 1st game. At this point it really is kind of prehistoric, and the 2nd game is absolutely breathtaking.

I picked it up for 40 and almost immediately dumped 60 hours into the game. Half way through a 2nd play through now.[/QUOTE]
The witcher isn't good and should be skipped for The Witcher 2? #-o

[quote name='lito88']The witcher isn't good and should be skipped for The Witcher 2? #-o[/QUOTE]

It's just older, and just not as high a quality of a game. I tried to play through the first too, but then made the jump when I saw 2 hit 40 bucks like a week after release and I'm glad I did.

And while there is an import save feature, from what I've read around the interwebs the effects are quite minimal. I would just read a synopsis of the first game to understand some of the major players of the Witcher Universe and jump into game 2. The story is completely separate so you won't be left in the dark if you didn't play the first game.

Question: Anyone know anything about this Back to the Future game? Is it any good?

I loved Recettear...had pre-ordered it for $19 or something. Totally worth it.

Also, Steam support rocks. Contacted them about refunding my $6.80 so I could get the Deluxe edition of Oblivion and they did it :)

[quote name='G-Nitro']I picked up Medal of Honor, bit.trip runner, and like many I thought EA games were missing from the sale. I did manage to find the Sims 3 Pack for $80, but I had to browse the store, as it wasn't advertised for some reason. There are a couple other packs for sale of EA games, but also not really advertised.

If EA continues pushing this Origin.com crap and Steam doesn't get some games in the future, then EA will lose business from me on the PC.[/QUOTE]

There are several packs not listed anywhere. At least the Sims one is in the top sellers. Nancy Drew pack of 17 games for $40. Star Wars pack of 13 games for $50. Quite a few more like that, not to mention all of the games on sale that aren't advertised anywhere. The first thing I bought yesterday was the Spectromancer 3 pack, which I wouldn't have even known was on sale for 75% off, if it hand't been on my wishlist. The sale prices are great. The presentation... not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RollingSkull']Also hated Borderlands. [/QUOTE]

Just quoting this so those of you familiar with RollingSkull's game opinions will know this means Borderlands is totally awesome when played with friends, and not bad solo.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Just quoting this so those of you familiar with RollingSkull's game opinions will know this means Borderlands is totally awesome when played with friends, and not bad solo.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think Borderlands is one of the top 20 or so games of the last 5 years, so I really don't understand how anyone could hate it unless you just hate FPSs, and if that's the case, why were you playing it in the first place?

All I want is Civ 5. There's no list on what goes on sale when? Man....I don't want to pay 33 bucks

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']This is what everyone has said. either hook up a controller or get it for 360 is the general consensus.[/QUOTE]

While Borderlands does suffer from consolitis, the general consensus is definitely NOT hook up a controller or buy it on console. Download this Advanced Settings Tool and it's not nearly as bad. You can change the little things like FoV and toggle zoom/crouch (which should have been configurable in the main game to begin with) and can even disable those black outlines around everything if you hate the default look.

And don't forget to check out the mods. I highly recommend checking out the fast travel for DLC mod. Makes getting around much easier.

[quote name='AoA']All I want is Civ 5. There's no list on what goes on sale when? Man....I don't want to pay 33 bucks[/QUOTE]

You can check out the GamersGate thread that's on the front page: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298318

If you buy from the UK site, CIV 5 will run you $11 and you can activate it on STEAM. If STEAM doesn't have a Civ 5 deal today then I'm buying it from GamersGate. I too have been waiting for some Civilization.

[quote name='AoA']All I want is Civ 5. There's no list on what goes on sale when? Man....I don't want to pay 33 bucks[/QUOTE]

You don't want to just buy it from Gamersgate? Seems pretty cheap, or are you holding out for Steam to be even cheaper?

[quote name='JawnMan']You can check out the GamersGate thread that's on the front page: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298318

If you buy from the UK site, CIV 5 will run you $11 and you can activate it on STEAM. If STEAM doesn't have a Civ 5 deal today then I'm buying it from GamersGate. I too have been waiting for some Civilization.[/QUOTE]

I just picked it up, ran me $11.18 after conversion fees.

I honestly don't think you'll see it this low from Steam this week. And as stated, it's today only, so don't wait too long to pick it up.

[quote name='wilflare']hmm just tried Reccetear.
it's something you'll either love or hate
and personally, something better played with a controller or a mobile gaming device iPad/DS/PSP[/QUOTE]

I play it with a 360 pad and love it.

Can't really imagine using mouse and keyboard, though.

Maybe I'll just buy it from GamersGate. I don't like having eight thousand different accounts for buying things everywhere. I never bought from them, you just get a code for use on Steam?

[quote name='AoA']Maybe I'll just buy it from GamersGate. I don't like having eight thousand different accounts for buying things everywhere. I never bought from them, you just get a code for use on Steam?[/QUOTE]

For Civ 5, yes. That code is Steam activatable and you'll never need to use GamersGate again if you don't want to.

In fact, I believe that game requires Steam. So you couldn't even really use GamersGate for Civ 5 if you wanted to. You're just purchasing the code.

Just Bit.Trip.Runner for me today. I've already got Borderlands and Oblivion or I'd have been all over those.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']This is what everyone has said. either hook up a controller or get it for 360 is the general consensus.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's the general consensus at all! A previous poster mentioned a few reasons and I had absolutely no trouble with m/k at all. It's quirky, but it works fine.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Just quoting this so those of you familiar with RollingSkull's game opinions will know this means Borderlands is totally awesome when played with friends, and not bad solo.[/QUOTE]

Indeed

[quote name='AoA']Maybe I'll just buy it from GamersGate. I don't like having eight thousand different accounts for buying things everywhere. I never bought from them, you just get a code for use on Steam?[/QUOTE]

I was the person who mentioned they bought the game from the UK site and registered it on Steam. To answer your question, yup, just place your order (GG is totally legit) then you'll be taken to your games page with the download link and registration code. You'll also get a link to the Mac version.

Enjoy! I'm also unsure if Steam will even remotely match this price, which is why I just went ahead and bought it from GG.

[quote name='Ramun Flame']I was about to purchase the THQ pack, but I realized it didn't include the old dawn of wars(arguably the better ones). Too bad, deal breaker for me... :([/QUOTE]

Hmm it seems like they replaced the "Complete Pack" with the "Hit Collection". Very sneaky!

I'm on the fence about Back to the Future. I know it's only 12 bucks, but the CAG in me thinks it'll go lower.

Someone, quick, sell me on this game. lol

Is there any way to search for just the daily deals? I know on the summer camp screen they have them listed, but bit.trip.beat and oblivion goty deluxe are daily deals for example, and not on the screen. Just trying to see if there are any other daily deals that are easily missed.

[quote name='Terlan']You cannot cut the pack apart like that sadly, if you buy the pack its all yours.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying. The Square/Eidos pack is a great value, but a lot of the games I already own, so they do me little good. Too bad.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']While Borderlands does suffer from consolitis, the general consensus is definitely NOT hook up a controller or buy it on console. Download this Advanced Settings Tool and it's not nearly as bad. You can change the little things like FoV and toggle zoom/crouch (which should have been configurable in the main game to begin with) and can even disable those black outlines around everything if you hate the default look.

And don't forget to check out the mods. I highly recommend checking out the fast travel for DLC mod. Makes getting around much easier.[/QUOTE]

I like the setting where you can turn off the black outlines and change the FOV. They both make a huge difference. That said I still used a 360 controller as it felt more natural for that game. Even though I'm a PC gamer for a loong time anyway it just felt more fun with the controller.

[quote name='vherub']Is there any way to search for just the daily deals? I know on the summer camp screen they have them listed, but bit.trip.beat and oblivion goty deluxe are daily deals for example, and not on the screen. Just trying to see if there are any other daily deals that are easily missed.[/QUOTE]

Well, Bit.Trip.Runner's banner does say "Franchise Sale" and the Deluxe version of GOTY comes up as a daily if you click the banner for Oblivion, so I'd say that aren't any "different" dailies that don't show up on the front page. It's not like you can miss the hidden ones if you click their respective games, at least.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']I'd recommend skipping Reccetear. Got it from the 5 games for $5 pack a while back and it didn't really float my boat. Primarily because while I liked the basic premise (Running an RPG world shop) in practice it ended up just being a poor dungeon crawler with extra hoops to jump through to sell your crap.[/QUOTE]

I found Recettear very engaging and have put over 15 hours into it. It's a very unique game. While part of involves you managing the items your shop sells, the other part is a dungeon crawler. You have a variety of characters that you can use when you go into the dungeon, and each one has his/her own playstyle.

One thing to note is that Recettear is a game which you actually must play many times. You're trying to pay off a sizeable debt, and it's not possible to do so during your first playthrough. You'll only get so far, and then you'll fail and start over. This is intentional. When you start the game over, you still have all the items you had before, and your heroes still retain all their stats and equipment. Each time you restart, you're a lot further ahead than last time.

The storyline is really cute, the characters are great, and the boss battles are fantastic. I couldn't recommend this game enough.

[quote name='ddrlenz']I'm on the fence about Back to the Future. I know it's only 12 bucks, but the CAG in me thinks it'll go lower.

Someone, quick, sell me on this game. lol[/QUOTE]

Considering the newness of the game, $12.49 is a terrific price, being half off. It's the first time it's been on sale, and while future sales are inevitable, this may be the cheapest price you'll see for quite a while.

[quote name='ddrlenz']I'm on the fence about Back to the Future. I know it's only 12 bucks, but the CAG in me thinks it'll go lower.

Someone, quick, sell me on this game. lol[/QUOTE]

Honestly, if you like BTTF, you should've even bought it at $25.

I've never watched these summer sales before so can someone please let me know if I'm understanding this correctly:

From now to the end of the sale, there is a generic "percent off" on all the stuff listed
The list of daily games are even cheaper than the "all-sale-long price"

Is there a certain time to pull the trigger on a given game? Wait until the last day of the sale to see if it hits a daily? What is the best way to go about this thing?

[quote name='callmewoof']I've never watched these summer sales before so can someone please let me know if I'm understanding this correctly:

From now to the end of the sale, there is a generic "percent off" on all the stuff listed
The list of daily games are even cheaper than the "all-sale-long price"

Is there a certain time to pull the trigger on a given game? Wait until the last day of the sale to see if it hits a daily? What is the best way to go about this thing?[/QUOTE]

Steam Sale Flowchart

Is it a Daily Deal? --Yes--> BUYBUYBUY
|
No
|
v

Wait until the last day, then BUYBUYBUY

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back