Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Didn't see your post. Depends on the game. If the game is Steam only like Saints Row 2 and Just Cause 2 then all versions will have to activate on Steam. Other games will not.[/QUOTE]

You can download it through amazon's downloader without using steam so I wasn't sure if it gave you a product key, but it does on your digital purchases part of the website.

is checkout borked for anyone else? i keep getting an "error initializing..." message :/

edit: got it to work, finally.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jkimrey']Looks interesting. How difficult is it to get up to speed on the rules?

And it's not a daily deal, correct? So it should stay that price (if not go cheaper) before the summer sale is over, right?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

No it's not a daily deal. It's already discounted 75% though, so I'm skeptical it would be discounted further. That price should stay till the end of the summer sale though.

It's easy to get up to speed on the rules.

[quote name='doom3killer']As a note, the 2 penny arcade adventure games are bundled together for $1.80 Definitely worth buying.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. Been waiting to pick these up and I don't see them ever being cheaper than this.

This is my first purchase this sale, there have been some tempting dailies but so far nothing to make me push the button. May pick up Hoard. Watching Jamestown and Spectromancer. Anything else that hasn't seen a daily yet that I should keep an eye on?

Also, another recommendation for Darksiders. It was a very pleasant surprise.

Is there any place to get the Bioshock 2 DLC cheaper than $10 each on GFWL? I'm interested for $5 but I'm not about to spend 4 times what I paid for the game just for completion's sake.

[quote name='dmdragon']You can download it through amazon's downloader without using steam so I wasn't sure if it gave you a product key, but it does on your digital purchases part of the website.[/QUOTE]
Right but even with retail copies of saints row 2, it activates through steam. Any game on Amazon should give you a CD key, but Saints Row 2's will bring up the Steam page when you go to install it.

[quote name='Sepatown Tippie Tais']Is there any place to get the Bioshock 2 DLC cheaper than $10 each on GFWL? I'm interested for $5 but I'm not about to spend 4 times what I paid for the game just for completion's sake.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the DLC is exclusively through GFWL. It's why so many people don't even realize Minerva's Den is out already. A shame, after all the protest to get it released on PC, and now it probably won't sell well.

a caution to bioshock 2 dlc - the PC version does not have the biggest piece of dlc that the game has. that was left as a console exclusive. so if that matters to you, well, you're not getting what's generally regarded as the best and is one of those mini-expansions.

...whoa wait they actually doubled back on that? *checks*
...wow. came out two months ago. awesome! but the only way to play it in that case would basically be a hard copy or through shadier tactics right now i assume?

[quote name='DarkZero104']a caution to bioshock 2 dlc - the PC version does not have the biggest piece of dlc that the game has. that was left as a console exclusive. so if that matters to you, well, you're not getting what's generally regarded as the best and is one of those mini-expansions.[/QUOTE]

All of the Bioshock 2 dlc is available on PC through GFWL now. And the steam one should work with all of the DLC from GFWL. The steam version requires you to use GFWL still anyway.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Right but even with retail copies of saints row 2, it activates through steam. Any game on Amazon should give you a CD key, but Saints Row 2's will bring up the Steam page when you go to install it.[/QUOTE]

I did not realize that.

I'm wondering what the difference is besides patches. Amazon says it's 6 gigs and steam is downloading almost 12

...whoa wait they actually doubled back on that? *checks*
...wow. came out two months ago. awesome! but the only way to play it in that case would basically be a hard copy or through shadier tactics right now i assume?

+Rep to whoever mentioned Spectromancer and put it on my radar. Looks like something that's right up my alley.

I bought Jolly Rover today because A) I wanted it B) There was a camp activity achievement for it.

Then I realized that it wasn't a special daily price. No way they would later offer it as a daily deal right? That would be...

[quote name='gunstar808']+Rep to whoever mentioned Spectromancer and put it on my radar. Looks like something that's right up my alley.

I bought Jolly Rover today because A) I wanted it B) There was a camp activity achievement for it.

Then I realized that it wasn't a special daily price. No way they would later offer it as a daily deal right? That would be...[/QUOTE]

I hope not. That would be a waste of a daily deal slot =p

Mercifully, the Jolly Roger achievement is really easy to get. Turns out I have it from a holiday "Indie Story Pack" I picked up long ago. You only have to go through about five rooms total to make it happen. I'm actually glad there was a cheeve for the game; I hadn't played it until now. It's more charming than I gave it credit for. Will beat it whenever I get to finishing Gabriel Knight 1...

BTW, I love how Steam only highlights the games you don't have in the summer camp achievement description list. Of course, my OCD nature wants me to click on the games I don't have so that it's clear all the way down ;D Curse you, Steam!

[quote name='JakeNome']it kinda scares me that theres still 8 days left[/QUOTE]

Agreed x.x My wallet is crying already.
If only there was a Steam Library Collection... for 99% off...

[quote name='scarhawk']I hope not. That would be a waste of a daily deal slot =p[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. But really anthropomorphic Monkey Island - how could you not love the idea?

On another note, I redeemed tickets for the TF2 summer shades. You can get some lulzy loadouts with it. Particularly on a Pyro. Or a Spy wearing Noh Mercy.

got HOARD, but i can't play it...the .exe crashes on startup (at the splash page)...after a quick google, this seems to be a common problem for ATI cards.

anybody have any advice? hope i didn't throw three bucks away...

[quote name='Spokker']Are you serious? You could try branching into new games for $1-$5. It's not a big risk. This is the perfect time to try new genres.[/QUOTE]

Thats what happens when you been a long time Steam member and buy shit tons of games during every sale. I have a HUGE backlog.

[quote name='gunstar808']Fair enough. But really anthropomorphic Monkey Island - how could you not love the idea?

On another note, I redeemed tickets for the TF2 summer shades. You can get some lulzy loadouts with it. Particularly on a Pyro. Or a Spy wearing Noh Mercy.[/QUOTE]
Yeah the shades look like the only thing worth getting off the whole prize booth.
I bet my Hound Dog wearin' Heavy would look badass with those shades lol.

[quote name='scarhawk']Yeah the shades look like the only thing worth getting off the whole prize booth.
I bet my Hound Dog wearin' Heavy would look badass with those shades lol.[/QUOTE]

There are some other things worth getting. Character pack for killing floor, a ful game in alien assault I think, a level for zombie driver......its what I have my eye on....lol

On a similar note, if I use my tickets does that remove entries for the grand prize drawing?

[quote name='Dragonsbane']There are some other things worth getting. Character pack for killing floor, a ful game in alien assault I think, a level for zombie driver......its what I have my eye on....lol

On a similar note, if I use my tickets does that remove entries for the grand prize drawing?[/QUOTE]

I might go for the KF character pack because I loved KF so much I'd like to revisit it.
Also no, you don't lose your entries. I just redeemed my tickets for the shades.

Really hoping for Dwarfs?! or Delve Deeper tomorrow, both look like really interesting games. I keep checking out both and I'm really tempted to buy one or the other just to play now. D:

I can vouch for both Dwarfs and Delve Deeper being good. Dwarfs as a score-getting arcade game (Sorta), and Delve Deeper as a tile-placing man-moving boardgame.

[quote name='gunstar808']But really anthropomorphic Monkey Island - how could you not love the idea?[/QUOTE]

Um, easily. In fact, that goes for anthropomorphic ANYTHING.

[quote name='dmdragon']Does amazon give keys when you get games from them? They have saints row 2 for 6 bucks and I would love to have that, but only if it gives me a key since it can be registered on steam.[/QUOTE]

It depends on the game. I bought Cities in Motion on Amazon because at the time it was $16 vs Steam's $20. It spits out a key and it is on the list of games that Steam accepts, but this particular key was not accepted.

I sure do wish I had waited for the Steam sale with the game and all DLC 33% off, though. But on the other hand I have played it for hours and hours already.

I think all the hatred for AaaAAaa comes from people only playing the purposely frustrating levels during the Portal ARG and this Summer Sale.

If you play the game normally, it's pretty good. It's one of those games that you COULD do in really small, quick sessions of a few minutes yet you find yourself playing "just one more round".

[quote name='DarkZero104']a caution to bioshock 2 dlc - the PC version does not have the biggest piece of dlc that the game has. that was left as a console exclusive. so if that matters to you, well, you're not getting what's generally regarded as the best and is one of those mini-expansions.[/QUOTE]

If you're talking about Minerva's Den, that came out on PC 2 months ago: http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/article/minervasdennowavailablepc

[quote name='Phrozenx']I havent bought nothing the past two days, I'm hoping something special comes out tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Me neither. Didnt even buy some of the Just Cause 2 DLC. I was looking at the Battlefield BC2 pack and Magicka but I may hold off.Even was looking at Bioshock 1/2, especially 1 but its been that price before and I have other games.

Darksiders is a great game, one of the best Console Ports I have ever seen on the PC in all my years!!!!

this game is a console port, but with a 360 controller I wouldn't be able to tell you it is (LOL guess there is some comedy to that statement) ....it is SO SMOOTH and game mechinics are perfect, this is a game with roots from God of War, but it isn't just a clone it is a new game in the genre..... all fight games have punch / kick thus you can say they are all clones of whatever you consider the first fight game, this game has chest and triggered hit assigned button at right time just like God of War but it is different, art style, graphics and smoothness I have never seen a game of this type be so SMOOTH on the PC or even console last I play God of War 1/2 and Conan neither was this smooth....

Played on x4 965 + Sapphire Xtreme 5850 + 8gig ram and win 7 64bit + 360 controller (for those who might want to know)

Are the things in the prize booth which you can buy with tickets the only things you can buy? Or will there be more? Or is there a button to go to a "next page" that I'm not seeing? :p

Otherwise I'll just get Alien Breed 2 with my 3 tickets as that's the only interesting prize I see.

Question regarding getting tickets. If I don't own a particular game that has one of the challenges, but there is a demo for that game (like Hoard today) could I possibly complete the challenge by playing the demo and get the ticket?

[quote name='Therapy']Are the things in the prize booth which you can buy with tickets the only things you can buy? Or will there be more? Or is there a button to go to a "next page" that I'm not seeing? :p

Otherwise I'll just get Alien Breed 2 with my 3 tickets as that's the only interesting prize I see.[/QUOTE]

Those seem to be the only prizes. You can use your tickets to redeem prizes for other games which you may not own yet. If you decide to get the game down the road, the prize will still activate.

[quote name='The End']Question regarding getting tickets. If I don't own a particular game that has one of the challenges, but there is a demo for that game (like Hoard today) could I possibly complete the challenge by playing the demo and get the ticket?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't think so. You're getting an actual achievement when you do the challenge, and demos don't reward achievements.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I wouldn't think so. You're getting an actual achievement when you do the challenge, and demos don't reward achievements.[/QUOTE]

Ooooh, I see. So the challenges are just achievements? In that case, I wonder if there turns out to be a challenge that pops up over the remaining week which I've already received the achievement for, if I'll automatically get a ticket for it? If the challenges are just achievements, I would imagine so.

I've probably got a few "freebie" tickets coming to me over the next few days.

Thanks for the reply.

[quote name='The End']Ooooh, I see. So the challenges are just achievements? In that case, I wonder if there turns out to be a challenge that pops up over the remaining week which I've already received the achievement for, if I'll automatically get a ticket for it? If the challenges are just achievements, I would imagine so.

I've probably got a few "freebie" tickets coming to me over the next few days.

Thanks for the reply.[/QUOTE]

Actually, all the achievements for the Summer Camp promotion are new achievements that were added to the game very recently, specifically for the summer promotion. These achievements weren't built into the original game.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Actually, all the achievements for the Summer Camp promotion are new achievements that were added to the game very recently, specifically for the summer promotion. These achievements weren't built into the original game.[/QUOTE]

I see. Well that explains the recent addition of an achievement in Defense Grid. I thought it was kinda strange that they'd just add one new achievement from out of the blue like that. So that's probably gonna be one of the challenges coming up over the next few days.

I think I'll try and get that achievement this morning and see if I either get the ticket early, or if it's added to my tally automatically when the challenge is revealed.

Thanks for the clarification.

[quote name='jester55']Anyone have any thoughts on Meridian 4 Complete Pack? I don't own any of the games, and yet some seem very interesting! http://store.steampowered.com/sub/8681/

89% off too - having a hard time showing restraint! tell me not to do it!![/QUOTE]

I looked through it, and it seems to me full of game people wouldn't pay a dollar for, and adventure games most people don't like. they were maybe 11 okay games, and 5 games I would buy in a sale. Rest I would have never played.

I suggest you look though, and count the games you like, or think you will actually play, then divide 35 by that number of games. If you are willing to pay the resulting price for each, then it would be a good deal, if not, then no.

[quote name='The End']I see. Well that explains the recent addition of an achievement in Defense Grid. I thought it was kinda strange that they'd just add one new achievement from out of the blue like that. So that's probably gonna be one of the challenges coming up over the next few days.

I think I'll try and get that achievement this morning and see if I either get the ticket early, or if it's added to my tally automatically when the challenge is revealed.

Thanks for the clarification.[/QUOTE]

You won't get the ticket early, but when the challenge pops up you'll get it.

I'm not sure if its been noticed yet, but I searched for Indie packs to see if there was anything like the last couple of sales and saw "Indie Action Pack". It's currently listed for $49.95, and set for release July 12. However, when you click on it you're redirected to the main page. Hopefully this will be another of those hugely discounted packs of great games right after the sale.

[quote name='Nilbog']I'm not sure if its been noticed yet, but I searched for Indie packs to see if there was anything like the last couple of sales and saw "Indie Action Pack". It's currently listed for $49.95, and set for release July 12. However, when you click on it you're redirected to the main page. Hopefully this will be another of those hugely discounted packs of great games right after the sale.[/QUOTE]

Heres tha page.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:T9YL1NG4EZsJ:store.steampowered.com/sub/4596/

It's actually an old pack that's around year long. Maybe the removed tha page until they can make the price match up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back