Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone sell me on the Fallout: New Vegas DLC? Are they worth it? Is one way better than the other? I plan to get the game from BBY for $10 soon...

Someone in the Spiral Knights forum said the achievement for buying a firecracker bomb will be on the camp list for Wednesday. It took me about 45 minutes of playing to buy one. I just did the mission to get to the terminal in the Clockwork or whatever. People are saying the achievement will unlock Wednesday and you will get the ticket then. Link

[quote name='jj5206']trying to decide whether or not the extra $4 is worth it for the Doom Complete Pack or if I should just get Doom 3...any opinions?[/QUOTE]

I'd at least pick up Doom 3 + expansion, which comes out to $6.25. Then it's up to you if a few dozen levels of a well designed arcade FPS is worth the additional $2.50. IMO, it is, just grab one of the many source ports so you can play them in higher resolutions and with mouse control.

[quote name='Wolfmight']You sir - indeed - win a cheap ass honor for waiting this long in the sale. Actually I respect it too - it's tough to pass up that much candy.

You did the right thing. This is the best game out of them all in my opinion. But I'm also a die-hard Fallout fan- started all the way back with the first one which was just as epic and recommended if Steam puts the classics on sale (or even has them - I haven't checked)[/QUOTE]

They're on sale, but not a daily deal. http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2008/

[quote name='Lhallfin']I can't believe I still haven't purchased a single thing!

Apparently I am a cheap ass.

I did go really crazy on the winter sale, like 75 bucks for like 15 games, several of which Ive never even installed.

Its actually surprising (dissapointing) to see how many of those games are on sale again now for more money than before.[/QUOTE]

It's not just you. I haven't bought anything, either. I think some of the sales are good but most of the games we're seeing we already own or have played to some capacity. The games on sale aren't too appealing. Kind of regret not picking up War for Cybertron, but I have played it before so I didn't -need- to. Point, I guess.

Would anyone recommend new vegas for someone who though Fallout 3 was meh? I really just didn't like the shooting more than anything.

[quote name='agentofdoom']Would anyone recommend new vegas for someone who though Fallout 3 was meh? I really just didn't like the shooting more than anything.[/QUOTE] You can play as a melee character! Though it's not as fun as in Oblivion.

Yeah, Bionic Commando (the 3D one at $9.99) is one to avoid. I think that game totally missed the mark and has a really weird story.

Interestingly, I found the zip line in Just Cause 2 (which needs to be mentioned more in my opinion) to be one hell of a great Bionic Commando/Spider-Man mechanic. You don't swing necessarily, but there's a fairly easy grapple/climb mechanic, and you can use it to yank things around, tie two things together and zip them together (people and vehicles, two people, a fuel tank and another object, etc.). You even grab onto most buildings and poles with it then zip up and clamp on, ready to pick off enemies and obstacles easily.

Try the demo out to see for yourself. One of the freshest surprises of a game I've come across in a long time.

Oh, and Bionic Commando ReArmed is totally rad, too. I didn't like the individual VR Mission style missions because they were sometimes unfairly hard (IMO), but the core game is a real gem. This is coming from a guy who got the NES versionfor Christmas in '88 and beat the hell out of it multiple times. Just make sure to use a controller; I can't imagine using a keyboard with the game.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I'm not really feelin defense grid so far. I am not a fan of the limited places you can put towers, makes it feel like there is a certain place/combo of towers that will beat each level easily. I was hoping for a more freeform TD game like SC/WC custom maps. If it looked better I'd give it more of a chance, but so far only regret so far during the sale.[/QUOTE]

You would probably love Sol Survivor. It's a completely freeform tower defense game. It goes on sale a lot, it might even it hit a daily.

EDIT: Beaten by Drizzt. That's what I get for responding to a thread before reading it.

I'm trying not to spend too much money on each individual day, since I don't know what future daily deals will have. Trying to decide between Singularity and Alpha Protocol at the moment.

[quote name='agentofdoom']Would anyone recommend new vegas for someone who though Fallout 3 was meh? I really just didn't like the shooting more than anything.[/QUOTE]

I can't think of any reason to recommend New Vegas to someone who didn't like Fallout 3, but maybe someone else can.

If anything, I felt like there was more shooting. In FO3 I mostly used VATS, in New Vegas, VATS gets "nerfed" a little, and guns get iron sights, so I mostly just played it like a normal shooter.

A normal shooter in which enemies strafe randomly across the terrain, wasting your ammo, grarrrr!

[quote name='Genocidal']Any opinions on Bionic Commando (not Rearmed)? The Metascore is low, but the trailer looked interesting, almost Spiderman-esque.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed it. The swinging takes a little finesse, and the action is kind of arcadey in the way console games were before this generation.

As far as I can tell there are two main problems with the game, whether or not you are okay with them will probably determine how tolerable you find the experience.

1) The environments are not wide open, you have a path (not too narrow mind you) that the game wants you to follow. If you go outside this path, you die to radiation, sometimes with little to no warning. So be careful when exploring for goodies.

2) You can't replay a level after completing it, or go back to previous checkpoints in a level. This means if you want a 100% and get all the collectibles, you have to do it in one playthrough. Combined with #1, and this can be pretty annoying to attempt on a first playthrough.

The story is also stupid, but who cares. ;)

It's ridiculous to me that I paid $39.99 for Alpha Protocol not long after its release, and have yet to play it. I've had two false starts with the game, but still, it's sitting pretty much untouched on my PS3 game shelf. Now it's $4.99 on Steam. :drool:

[quote name='agentofdoom']Would anyone recommend new vegas for someone who though Fallout 3 was meh? I really just didn't like the shooting more than anything.[/QUOTE]
nah if you didn't like Fallout 3 chances are you won't like this one either. It's very similar + a bunch of extras and more fun essentially but you gotta like Fallout 3 to like it as well in my opinion.

Half of the time in FO:NV I beat up people using brass knuckles though. lol. The devs tried this time to really get people to make melee builds with the new perks.

I thought the shooting in New Vegas is better, since VATS is de-emphasized and the iron sights really adds to the feel of regular shooting.

But New Vegas still plays a hell of a lot like FO3, so it likely won't be changing your mind if you played enough of FO3 to give it a chance. (My dad stopped playing before the tutorial ended, and I had to convince him to start playing it again by showing him later stuff in the game.)

In terms of actual order of release it's: Mount & Blade -> With Fire & Sword -> Warband.

With Fire & Sword was only recently reworked and released outside of its home territory and that's why it feels like a step-down from Warband.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Can anyone sell me on the Fallout: New Vegas DLC? Are they worth it? Is one way better than the other? I plan to get the game from BBY for $10 soon...[/QUOTE]

The way I see it, the DLC won't be much cheaper for quite a while. Sure it might hit $2.50, but I doubt you'll see them for $2 or less for at least a year. So if you're remotely interested, I'd say buy them now while they're this cheap.

As for them being good or not, I don't know.

[quote name='Violentcolin']They're on sale, but not a daily deal. http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2008/[/QUOTE]
Sweet, the Fallout Classics for $10 is not bad at all. If it goes to $5 - instant no brainer. But even $10 leans heavily towards a good deal for people who loved let's say... Fallout 3 and Diablo 2. It's turn-based RPG, but pretty nice.
3 Solid Games for $10.

[quote name='Wolfmight']Sweet, the Fallout Classics for $10 is not bad at all. If it goes to $5 - instant no brainer. But even $10 leans heavily towards a good deal for people who loved let's say... Fallout 3 and Diablo 2. It's turn-based RPG, but pretty nice.[/QUOTE]
I think they're 2.99 at GoG. So 4 dollar savings.

Good lord... the totalhalibut review makes me want to buy frozen synapse so much. I was almost positive there was nothing on the deals list for me today until watching that. The only bummer is being forced into buying a 2-pack... not going to get this game unless I split it with someone. :p

[quote name='RedGamer']Thoughts on the THQ pack?[/QUOTE]

Mattering how many of those games you have, it can be a great value. If you don't have any of them, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Has real-time strategy, action adventure, a diabloesque game, some excellent first-person shooters, including an RPG hybrid one, an open world romp like GTA, etc. And all of them are quality games.

I'm not going to go through which games are which, just know if you want a variety of really good games in different genres, it's a fantastic deal.

Some games like Metro 2033 are going to tax the hell out of any midrange system, though. You might want to check your specs against some of the newer items like that and Homefront.

[quote name='jamezuva']Anyone know if you have the retail copy of a game (e.g. Fallout NV) whether the dlc off steam will work with it??[/QUOTE]

You can't have a non-Steam copy of New Vegas.

[quote name='jamezuva']Anyone know if you have the retail copy of a game (e.g. Fallout NV) whether the dlc off steam will work with it??[/QUOTE]
Yeah it will as long as you got the PC Retail copy. The PC retail copies are forced to run through Steam, that's why. It's all fully supported.

[quote name='o_O']You can't have a non-Steam copy of New Vegas.[/QUOTE]

If that wasn't clear enough, it doesn't matter where you get the game, it uses Steam and these downloads will work with it

I really can't recomend Alpha Protocol.

I dunno, I was so into it as I like Splinter Cell and the whole espionage thingy. But after getting to the first boss I was just annoyed. See, I created a completely espionage dude, so I pretty much spent my points in walking silently and doing quiet shit. Then ALL THE fuckING BOSSES JUST RUSH AT YOU. I couldn't kill them, there is this one boss that's freaking INVISIBLE and he rushes at you and freaking kung-fus your *ass into oblivion.

I actually had to cheat my way through the bosses, first time I've ever done that in my life.

Apparently, I had to spent point into a specific stealth skill to be able to kill the boss if my char was stealth, which I didn't do.

It seems the games was not meant to be played stealthly, at least not the bosses.

[quote name='zico']I really can't recomend Alpha Protocol.

I dunno, I was so into it as I like Splinter Cell and the whole espionage thingy. But after getting to the first boss I was just annoyed. See, I created a completely espionage dude, so I pretty much spent my points in walking silently and doing quiet shit. Then ALL THE fuckING BOSSES JUST RUSH AT YOU. I couldn't kill them, there is this one boss that's freaking INVISIBLE and he rushes at you and freaking kung-fus your *ass into oblivion.

I actually had to cheat my way through the bosses, first time I've ever done that in my life.

Apparently, I had to spent point into a specific stealth skill to be able to kill the boss if my char was stealth, which I didn't do.

It seems the games was not meant to be played stealthly, at least not the bosses.[/QUOTE]

Usually the stealth aspect is lowered for bosses and sometimes removed entirely. But yeah I'm holding off on Alpha too.

Hey guys, don't know if this has been mentioned or not but Chime is $1.25 right now. I think that's a really excellent price for this game. Even if it becomes a daily deal, I don't think it could get much cheaper?

I dont really get people not recommending Alpha Protocol for $5. For anything over $10 I'd say no, but any average retail game less than 5 years old is worth at least $5 in my book, and I'd put AP directly in the average category.

[quote name='Wolfmight']Usually the stealth aspect is lowered for bosses and sometimes removed entirely. But yeah I'm holding off on Alpha too.[/QUOTE]

After the invisible boss I just cheated all the way till the end.

This one boss that pissed me off is the one that is on the sencond floor, he comes down and melees your ass and then goes up to the second floor. Then he freaking throws bombs at you, and at the same funcking time, reinforcement comes in in the lower floor, where you are at. And there I am, a stealth dude with a pistol that can only take cover and kill folks sneaking.

It's irritating.

so the question I need to ask is.
Do I go ahead and get Bully Cheap, or do I go ahead and spend the $40 for the entire Rockstar collection. Hell of a great price. Considering each of the 12 games cost that much or more when they came out.

[quote name='sunnysky']so the question I need to ask is.
Do I go ahead and get Bully Cheap, or do I go ahead and spend the $40 for the entire Rockstar collection. Hell of a great price. Considering each of the 12 games cost that much or more when they came out.[/QUOTE]

I'd get the Rockstar pack if you don't own any of those games.

I liked the boss fights. I don't see why people would play a game that was clearly modeled after Syphon Filter, where more than half your controls and skills are shooting oriented, and then be surprised by combat.

The bosses were surprisingly well-designed, in my opinion, for the genre.

Also, if you go to China first and meet with the bro there, he'll offer an intel thing to poison the cocaine of the Germany boss so you won't have to deal with his invincible knife attack. That's a stupid dodge because going to China first breaks the ENTIRE SIGHT GAG of China and still kinda messes up the pacing that was designed for Germany to come first.

So maybe if you do all of Germany but the boss level and then go do one level of China just to meet the bro and then head back...

Do I go ahead and get Bully Cheap, or do I go ahead and spend the $40 for the entire Rockstar collection. Hell of a great price. Considering each of the 12 games cost that much or more when they came out.[/QUOTE]

I would buy the pack ONLY if you really, really want to play a crap-ton of GTA. Otherwise, just save your money and buy Bully.

I'm considering getting the Doom 3 pack and I'm a cheap bastard so I want to ask if I should really spend the extra 2-ish and get the complete pack with the older games (feel like I'd regret not choosing the latter).

But have you played a stealth character and found it well designed?! I can see you saying that if you had a shotgun or a submachine gun agains the bosses. Which is what I did after I cheated, it was much better.

I don't remember the sequence I did, but I got owned badly when he meleed me.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I liked the boss fights. I don't see why people would play a game that was clearly modeled after Syphon Filter, where more than half your controls and skills are shooting oriented, and then be surprised by combat.

The bosses were surprisingly well-designed, in my opinion, for the genre.

Also, if you go to China first and meet with the bro there, he'll offer an intel thing to poison the cocaine of the Germany boss so you won't have to deal with his invincible knife attack. That's a stupid dodge because going to China first breaks the ENTIRE SIGHT GAG of China and still kinda messes up the pacing that was designed for Germany to come first.

So maybe if you do all of Germany but the boss level and then go do one level of China just to meet the bro and then head back...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheLongshot']Nothing for me today.

BTW, has anyone else had problems loading Trine who already owned it? I can't get past the loading screen.[/QUOTE]

I had an issue where the load screen was all white, but did the "verify integrity of game cache" option from the steam games library/ properties/ local files for trine and it fixed it right up. Give it a try.

Have you played any of the GTAs before (GTA 3 or later that is)?
If you want to play them, it's a damn good deal. Personally I love these games and $40 is a breathtaking deal, but you gotta promise to not cheat yourself of playing through their pretty awesome storylines (perhaps start with Vice City :cool: mmm)

For new comers, I recommend starting with III or Vice, then San Andreas - before the IV and EFLC. The classic ones have more gameplay while the newer ones were trying out much more intense graphics in exchange for a lot of the traditional gameplay which sorta ticked me off a bit. All great games in their own ways though none the less.

Steam did have that GTA classics say (GTA-San Andreas I believe) in the very beginning for about $7 and it was pretty amazing too. They've only had that twice tho and I grabbed it the first time around. Then GTAIV for $5 later on.

Just got the rare Left4Dead achievement on Lead and Gold - some powerful luck and epicness with the online gaming this morning haha.

I hope Splinter Cell Conviction and Batman Arkham Asylum both go on sale tomorrow for $4.99, or at least sometime during this sale.

I tried to buy Torchlight yesterday, several times, and ran into problems all along the way. I don't know if it's because I'm on a Mac or because it was late at night (the sale still had several hours to go however) or what was going on, but it was lame. I'd put in my credit card information but the purchase button was grayed out. I tried paypal too without success. I really wish you didn't have to use their stupid desktop application to buy and play their games. My Trine purchase went through without any problems though.... too bad it's Torchlight I'd rather play!

[quote name='AndrewCP']I'm considering getting the Doom 3 pack and I'm a cheap bastard so I want to ask if I should really spend the extra 2-ish and get the complete pack with the older games (feel like I'd regret not choosing the latter).[/QUOTE]

If you don't have the old ones, then yeah.
Classic gaming.
As suggested, use Zdoom or other source port to play.

[quote name='imacjenn']I tried to buy Torchlight yesterday, several times, and ran into problems all along the way. I don't know if it's because I'm on a Mac or because it was late at night (the sale still had several hours to go however) or what was going on, but it was lame. I'd put in my credit card information but the purchase button was grayed out. I tried paypal too without success. I really wish you didn't have to use their stupid desktop application to buy and play their games.[/QUOTE]

You can use their website as well, just log in. The only reason that I can think of for a greyed out button is the terms and conditions box wasn't checked....that gets me every time : D

If anyone wants to go half on a frozen synapse (since they force you to buy in a 2-pack, e.g. I'll paypal $6.25 for the gifted game), let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back