Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='callmewoof']If anyone wants to go half on a frozen synapse (since they force you to buy in a 2-pack, e.g. I'll paypal $6.25 for the gifted game), let me know![/QUOTE]
check PMs

[quote name='Vegan']I know this is CAG and all, but I can't believe so many people are asking if things that are $2-$3 are "worth it".[/QUOTE]

A couple of $2 or $3 things can combine into or are, in fact, other games you can buy.

Played some frozen synapse. 2 things

1. I played the first mission and I suck at this
2. My head hurts from all this thinking and strategy

So far I have gotten Lead and Gold and Magicka. The only game i'm interested in today is Fallout: NV but i'm going to try to get that at Best Buy. Hopefully Portal 2 gets a good sale sometime soon as I would get that if the price is right(if not then i'll probably just get the Valve Complete pack).

I'm glad I own a lot of the camp activity games. I already have 16 tickets and I'm trying to get 27 so I can get all the content for the games I own.

Trine is soooo cheap! I brought it a couple of months ago off the App store (it was on sale) although not as cheap as currently on steam.

Nothing good for me (Mac gamer) bla hopefully tomorrow!

[quote name='Mooby']A couple of $2 or $3 things can combine into or are, in fact, other games you can buy.[/QUOTE]

And if you only have a few dollars to your name, maybe you shouldn't be buying games today.

[quote name='Vegan']And if you only have a few dollars to your name, maybe you shouldn't be buying games today.[/QUOTE]

Is not about that. A decent steam sale has people buying at least $100 of products. That is buying lots of small 5~10 games that you know are worth it. If you add to that the ones you are not sure about but just buy for the hell of it, you could easily reach the $150 mark, and $50 is a decent amount of cash that you could be using somewhere else.

[quote name='Vegan']And if you only have a few dollars to your name, maybe you shouldn't be buying games today.[/QUOTE]

Missing the point. Not a matter of people only having a few dollars to their name it's a matter of going into a sale having a budget of $50, $100 or whatever and wanting to keep within that. Never mind the fact that $3 on a bad game is $3 wasted. In the past I've bought more than a few sub $5 games on Steam only to find that I don't really like them and consider that money poorly spent. I make a comfortable living but I still don't wipe my butt with dollar bills. Of course, if you are otherwise predisposed feel free to take a five dollar bill out of your pocket and tear it to pieces since, hey, it's only five dollars.

[quote name='Hunter_Silver']So far I have gotten Lead and Gold and Magicka. The only game i'm interested in today is Fallout: NV but i'm going to try to get that at Best Buy. Hopefully Portal 2 gets a good sale sometime soon as I would get that if the price is right(if not then i'll probably just get the Valve Complete pack).

I'm glad I own a lot of the camp activity games. I already have 16 tickets and I'm trying to get 27 so I can get all the content for the games I own.[/QUOTE]

The only ticket items that interest me atm are Alien Breed 2 (hard to say no to a free game) and the TF2 Summer Shades. Both of which I can get now (I have 7 tickets), but I'm holding out until the last day just in case there's some sort of surprise ticket item.

Trine: Already got it during the winter sales. It's a beautiful game and quite fun too. A no-brainer for 2 euros.

Fallout NV: A tad too expensive still, especially since I still need to finish Fallout 3 GOTY on my xbox :p So this will have to wait

Frozen Synapse: Looks really interesting but seeing the price I'll wait. What with my backlog and all.

Ruse: Also looks interesting as I like strategy alot. Although I'm not sure if I like this one since I'm more of a generic C&C-type of strategy player. Might bite on it later if it ever gets cheaper.

The rest is not interesting at all to me. Don't know what's so good about Bully. DOOM3 is old and boring. Homefront is too expensive and I keep hearing bad things about it anyway.

Sales seem really average so far for me. I've only bought this so far:

The Heroes Pack 6,24
Magicka DLC 4,70
Torchlight 2,99
Defense Grid +DLC 3,12

Grand total of 17.05 euros

[quote name='Mooby']Missing the point. Not a matter of people only having a few dollars to their name it's a matter of going into a sale having a budget of $50, $100 or whatever and wanting to keep within that. Never mind the fact that $3 on a bad game is $3 wasted. In the past I've bought more than a few sub $5 games on Steam only to find that I don't really like them and consider that money poorly spent. I make a comfortable living but I still don't wipe my butt with dollar bills. Of course, if you are otherwise predisposed feel free to take a five dollar bill out of your pocket and tear it to pieces since, hey, it's only five dollars.[/QUOTE]

I just did that :) then I spent another $5 on Doom 3

Anyone else having problems loading up M&B: Warband? Every time I start it up, it encounters the generic windows error and the option to send an error report to Microsoft then closes. I've reinstalled the game and checked the local files but still no dice. Any help?

Picked up Doom 3 for $5. I tried playing it when I was 13 with my cousin and both of us got so scared we stopped after a hour. Recently though I have been wanting to try it out again and $5 is my sweet spot for it. I am really looking forward to playing it.

I went in to this sale saying that I will only get stuff that I really want to get and know I will play. Between last summers sale and the Christmas sale I spent way too much money on games that I didn't like or haven't even played. So this sale I made sure that if I had any doubt to not pick it up. Good thing too as I most likely would have bought at least five or six other games but passed because I second guessed myself and decided that I didn't want it...

Oh and the trine ticket achievement sucks :p I just started it up since I already got that item that makes me breath underwater. Thinking I'd fix me an easy ticket, I've played for an hour and haven't seen any friggin water yet :( passed that part just before the ticket came live... lol.

[quote name='Liveforlaughs76']PM Me if you want my extra copy of Frozen Synapse and are willing to paypal me 6.24[/QUOTE]

I know flashburn needs one, pm him if you want, if he doesn't already have one he would buy it.

[quote name='Therapy']Oh and the trine ticket achievement sucks :p I just started it up since I already got that item that makes me breath underwater. Thinking I'd fix me an easy ticket, I've played for an hour and haven't seen any friggin water yet :( passed that part just before the ticket came live... lol.[/QUOTE]
Main Menu -> choose level -> pick level 5 -> get achieve

Gonna try and get NV from BB, thinking about FS now since I got FnS gifted.

THISSSSS ISSSSSSSSSSS CAGGGG!!!!!!!

this is cag man.... we cheeep up on here... :D

Bleh. In my effort to retrieve my save game file from my old OS for Trine, I seem to have lost all of my tickets. I've contacted Steam support, but any help you can give me would be welcome.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Bleh. In my effort to retrieve my save game file from my old OS for Trine, I seem to have lost all of my tickets. I've contacted Steam support, but any help you can give me would be welcome.[/QUOTE]
1) Make sure that you are actually logged into Steam. Sometimes during this sale I've been disconnected randomly from my account, but still been able to do things like browse the store.

2) Close out of Steam, relaunch it.

I'm pretty sure you didn't actually "lose" any of your tickets - they just aren't showing up correctly right now. It's happened to me a few times, but I've still been able to redeem my tickets for rewards even when it shows 0 (as long as you have 3+).

It was the former. Weird, because it had looked like it was logged in, but then I clicked on it and it asked for a login. Never mind it was showing and launching my games.

i actually liked Bionic Commando quite a bit and it's a love it or hate it game. but it's weird to see a steam sale where the console version - which the game was made for - can be gotten for LESS than the PC version in a steam sale. Rearmed is download only and worth considering for $5 at least.

[quote name='Mooby']Missing the point. Not a matter of people only having a few dollars to their name it's a matter of going into a sale having a budget of $50, $100 or whatever and wanting to keep within that. Never mind the fact that $3 on a bad game is $3 wasted. In the past I've bought more than a few sub $5 games on Steam only to find that I don't really like them and consider that money poorly spent. I make a comfortable living but I still don't wipe my butt with dollar bills. Of course, if you are otherwise predisposed feel free to take a five dollar bill out of your pocket and tear it to pieces since, hey, it's only five dollars.[/QUOTE]

Well, I still think that ANY game has something that can be gotten out of it that was worth 2 dollars.

[quote name='Khamous']Main Menu -> choose level -> pick level 5 -> get achieve
[/QUOTE]

whoops! I didn't know I could choose levels :p thanks mate. Got the ticket now :cool:

Can't decide between Singularity or Trine. Downloading the Trine demo right now to try. I know Singularity has mixed reviews but the videos and pictures I've seen look really interesting.

Hmmmm is it worth picking up the Doom Pack or should I just get the ID super pack......Only things I've picked up so far were Lead and Gold, Battlefront 2, and Empire at War.

MoCiwe it would depend on if you want the things in the ID pack besides Doom. if your just interested in the Doom stuff I'd say no (even if the pack has some gems in it) but if you like the looks of the pack it might be worth it.

Trine was kind of fun but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. How's Singularity? My friend payed $60 for it, he said $8 is a hell of a deal.

[quote name='fishphoenix']Trine was kind of fun but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. How's Singularity? My friend payed $60 for it, he said $8 is a hell of a deal.[/QUOTE]

I had a blast with it. It's like Bioshock if you replace the elemental powers with time powers and objectivism with communism.

[quote name='Sufuma']I had a blast with it. It's like Bioshock if you replace the elemental powers with time powers and objectivism with communism.[/QUOTE]

If I had not already rented Singularity (back when I had gamely) I would totally buy it... I might anyway, multiplayer is probably deserted but just really love the atmosphere. Kinda sci fi cold war like fallout and bioshock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Singularity is one of the best FPS that I have played in the last few years, if you enjoyed Bioshock then this game is a no brainer. I paid $60 for it when it came out for the 360 and would pick it up again if I didn't have a limited budget and I'm using those funds for games I haven't played yet.

[quote name='utopianmachine']All this talk about Trine today had me start up my game for the first time. I was really happy to see it lived up to all the hype. The game is gorgeous.[/QUOTE]

Trine 2

[quote name='Lhallfin']If I had not already rented it (back when I had gamely) I would totally buy it... I might anyway, multiplayer is probably deserted but just really love the atmosphere. Kinda sci fi cold war like fallout and bioshock.[/QUOTE]

Am I missing something or is this not about Trine? Because Bioshock is not really something that crossed my mind while playing Trine. Not even close.

Lol, my husband has been playing Borderlands the last couple days. He's not used to RPG sort of games, and he finds leveling up and grinding and so forth a waste of time.

This is a conversation we just had.

Me: "Ah, so we finally found a game type you don't like."
Him: "RPG: Really Poor Game."

;)

Have been buying a lot of stuff on the Steam sale so far, but I was looking on Amazon downloads today and noticed that it looks like Amazon download has been price matching a lot of Steam summer sale prices (including daily deal prices). If any of you guys are like me and have lots of credit over there, it might be worth checking out.

I just picked Dawn of Discovery gold (download) for $11.98 and as you might know that is no longer sold on Steam if anyone is looking for it.

[quote name='Therapy']Am I missing something or is this not about Trine? Because Bioshock is not really something that crossed my mind while playing Trine. Not even close.[/QUOTE]

Lol sry that was about singularity.

[quote name='Lhallfin']Lol sry that was about singularity.[/QUOTE]

Looking more closely I think I misread :p I skipped the question part you obviously were answering xD

Wow, looked at what I've bought this sale and I have spent relatively large amount of money. Oblivion, Bioshock 1 and 2, Darksiders, Fallout NV + DLC, and still waiting for Mass Effect 2 and Morrowind GOTY.

It didn't help my planned budget that I just got my first paycheck from my first full-time job and I don't have any bills to pay. (Hooray for being a student at a school my parents can afford!)

Singularity is a great looking game ... it looks significantly better on PC than it does on 360 or PS3. I highly recommend it because the single player is solid if not derivative (russian bioshock as people have said) but on top of that, the multiplayer is actually pretty fun even though it's a throw away type that isn't really competitive or deep. Basically, one side plays as soldiers and the other side plays as monsters. It's similar to Dead Space 2's MP but has better implementation and controls and it's just alot of fun. Honestly, if you're on the fence, at this price I would take the plunge.

[quote name='horns456']So you get two copies of Frozen Synapse, nice. Now to find someone who will split the price.[/QUOTE]

I'll buy the extra from you, if you still have it

Can anyone who really likes M&B give me a solid opinion of WF&S? I really like Warband but I am afraid guns will ruin everything I enjoy about it.

Doom 3 is really tempting as after all these years I never completed a playthrough. Trine I have but haven't played much.

I essentially paid 7.50 for Singularity at the BBV b1g1. I am playing through it right now and really enjoying the single player. I could easily recommend it at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back