Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mkaliaz']Have been buying a lot of stuff on the Steam sale so far, but I was looking on Amazon downloads today and noticed that it looks like Amazon download has been price matching a lot of Steam summer sale prices (including daily deal prices). If any of you guys are like me and have lots of credit over there, it might be worth checking out.

I just picked Dawn of Discovery gold (download) for $11.98 and as you might know that is no longer sold on Steam if anyone is looking for it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reminder. I just compared my Steam wishlist against Amazon and found Dawn of War II Gold Edition (includes Chaos Rising) for $9.49 shipped!

I also found Kane & Lynch for just ~$4, but already bought it on Steam for $5. Wish I had thought to check Amazon earlier. :lol:

Hoping for a Dragon Age Ultimate big sale sometime! I know it was on Amazon for $11, just like having everything on steam if possible!

Loving the sale so far, and the raffle ticket idea is actually really fun! I like that they are giving away a ticket a day too so just in case you aren't that far along in the game.

Bravo once again Steam!

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']Hoping for a Dragon Age Ultimate big sale sometime! I know it was on Amazon for $11, just like having everything on steam if possible!

Loving the sale so far, and the raffle ticket idea is actually really fun! I like that they are giving away a ticket a day too so just in case you aren't that far along in the game.

Bravo once again Steam![/QUOTE]

It was on Steam Daily Deal yesterday for 10 bucks. Not sure if you saw that or not.

[quote name='kyrhon']It was on Steam Daily Deal yesterday for 10 bucks. Not sure if you saw that or not.[/QUOTE]

dang it are you serious? I think I saw DAII but never bothered to check for DA1... ah rats, oh well. Thanks Kyrhon!

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']Hoping for a Dragon Age Ultimate big sale sometime! I know it was on Amazon for $11, just like having everything on steam if possible!

Bravo once again Steam![/QUOTE]

Dude, I hate to break it to you, but DA:U was on sale until 1PM EST today for $10.20 on Steam. :( I almost bought it, but the price will likely drop while I make my way through my ever-increasing backlog of games.

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']dang it are you serious? I think I saw DAII but never bothered to check for DA1... ah rats, oh well. Thanks Kyrhon![/QUOTE]
If you see the banner for the game and it says series sale, be sure to click it because more deals will follow. Even if it doesn't say it, always click it to be sure.

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']dang it are you serious? I think I saw DAII but never bothered to check for DA1... ah rats, oh well. Thanks Kyrhon![/QUOTE]

I believe it was a franchise sale. So you had to click on the banner to take you to all the DA content that was on sale.

So always check to see if it says "Franchise Sale." If it does, click on it to see what else is on sale from that series.

It wasn't directly pictured on the front page, but in the DA:2 graphic it said "Franchise Sale" - which we are finding out doesn't necessarily mean that prior games in the series are on sale (really wanted FO:3 GOTY), but they could be. Best bet is to click the graphics and see exactly what is on sale anytime you see "Franchise Sale" listed in the pane. You might luck out and have it featured on the "Best of" day - I sunk 60+ hours into the single player campaign of just Origins, and I loved every second of it.

CrossFireXT17 just so you know if it says Franchise sale on the daily deal tag, other games in the series (or DLC) are on sale as well.

Don't get too discouraged. With major Steam sales event like this, Steam usually feature best-selling dailies deal from the previous days in the final day of the sale. So there is a chance that the Dragon Age series might pop up again on the 10th. :)

Thanks for the tip guys! -- I knew about the franchise sales, just for some reason I guess I didn't see it on the DAII logo! Oh well. -- Guess one of the other games I hope for is a Torchlight deal, heard it's a great game.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Any differences between Serious Sam HD: Gold Edition over the Serious Sam HD: First and Second Encounter other than the included classic versions of SS 1 & 2 in the Gold Edition?

The fusion patch supposedly works as long as you own SS HD: First and Second.

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']Thanks for the tip guys! -- I knew about the franchise sales, just for some reason I guess I didn't see it on the DAII logo! Oh well. -- Guess one of the other games I hope for is a Torchlight deal, heard it's a great game.

Thanks again for the help everyone![/QUOTE]

Sorry to say you missed Torchlight. However, it's possible that they might repeat it and Dragon Age on the last day of the sale.

So, I am getting Trine. I see mostly positive stuff on Bully. Is it quite fun? Or should I just wait for the winter sale?

Also, I'll say that Singularity for 360 was awesome imo. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Sorry to say you missed Torchlight. However, it's possible that they might repeat it and Dragon Age on the last day of the sale.[/QUOTE]

I missed torchlight too?! Geez... thanks for letting me know! Don't know how I missed both of those... I'll blame it on my sister having her baby this past week... threw me off ;)

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess I did buy tourchlight yesterday... man I don't know where my mind is, think it's time for bed ha...

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']I missed torchlight too?! Geez... thanks for letting me know! Don't know how I missed both of those... I'll blame it on my sister having her baby this past week... threw me off ;)

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess I did buy tourchlight yesterday... man I don't know where my mind is, think it's time for bed ha...[/QUOTE]

Torchlight was $2.99 so hopefully they put it back up so you can grab it.

And Singularity is a must at that price point. You wont really play through it more than once or twice, but the atmosphere is terrific.

[quote name='iso135']I see mostly positive stuff on Bully. Is it quite fun?[/QUOTE]

Also wondering this, only game today I am interested in.

[quote name='simpsonps121']Does Mount and Blade have a decent story? I hate sandbox games with no story... I lose my sense of purpose...[/QUOTE]

There's no real story. I got M&B Warband today. You're basically building a massive party, or army, and you're venturing around the kingdoms. On the way you come across looters, and other caravans which you can challenge, or surrender to. You can also besiege kingdoms and rob the villagers. But you do your own thing and there isn't a story to it.

Ended up buying trine and bully, gah, might have to slow down. Spent $21 so far, but, what I am afraid of is what happened during the winter sale... (spent like $125 and haven't play quite a few of the games yet).

[quote name='iso135'] I see mostly positive stuff on Bully. Is it quite fun? Or should I just wait for the winter sale?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='xxjonoxx']Also wondering this, only game today I am interested in.[/QUOTE]

Bully was recently like $5 or so, and I picked it up then. I started playing it, and when my husband saw it, he started playing it on my account in offline mode. We played the game together at the same time for a couple weeks, putting at least 30 hours into it each. We had a great time laughing at all the outfits Jimmy can wear. The missions are varied and quite fun. I really enjoyed exploring Bullworth and the town, and a lot of the characters and stereotypes are entertaining. A lot of geek/gaming references.

I can't recommend it enough, especially considering it's less than $4. It also supports the 360 controller. PC controls are really bad, I hear.

[quote name='iso135']Ended up buying trine and bully, gah, might have to slow down. Spent $21 so far, but, what I am afraid of is what happened during the winter sale... (spent like $125 and haven't play quite a few of the games yet).[/QUOTE]

If you're building a gigantic backlog I think the rule is, buy when it probably won't get any cheaper (or if it does, buy only a buck or so). Trine at 1.99 is definitely an example of that, and Rockstar doesn't seem to like to discount their stuff more than about 3.75 a game unless it's an old one like Max Payne.

The real difficulty is resisting good deals on newer stuff that only brings it into the 10-25 dollar range.

[quote name='simpsonps121']Does Mount and Blade have a decent story? I hate sandbox games with no story... I lose my sense of purpose...[/QUOTE]

Its the type of game where it has an amazing story... assuming you still have your imagination. Pretty much you make your own story.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Bully was recently like $5 or so, and I picked it up then. I started playing it, and when my husband saw it, he started playing it on my account in offline mode. We played the game together at the same time for a couple weeks, putting at least 30 hours into it each. We had a great time laughing at all the outfits Jimmy can wear. The missions are varied and quite fun. I really enjoyed exploring Bullworth and the town, and a lot of the characters and stereotypes are entertaining. A lot of geek/gaming references.

I can't recommend it enough, especially considering it's less than $4. It also supports the 360 controller. PC controls are really bad, I hear.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. I played this along with Rebel FM when they did the playthrough of it and I consider it be a favorite now. The music was one of my favorite things about it. I'll never forget that song that starts when you get on the bike.

Hey guys, quick question.

Sometimes when I've activated a game on Steam, it gives me the option to download and install other optional parts in addition to the game, such as the GECK mod toolkit for Fallout: New Vegas. But if I don't opt to download and install them right at that very second, I can't ever seem to find a way to do so. It's super frustrating, as I no longer remember which games this has happened for. Is there any way to find the option to download these optional files again?

[quote name='utopianmachine']All this talk about Trine today had me start up my game for the first time. I was really happy to see it lived up to all the hype. The game is gorgeous.[/QUOTE]

I actually picked up Trine on your recommendation; it is a beautiful game.
The artist (and animators) did a wonderful job.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Hey guys, quick question.

Sometimes when I've activated a game on Steam, it gives me the option to download and install other optional parts in addition to the game, such as the GECK mod toolkit for Fallout: New Vegas. But if I don't opt to download and install them right at that very second, I can't ever seem to find a way to do so. It's super frustrating, as I no longer remember which games this has happened for. Is there any way to find the option to download these optional files again?[/QUOTE]

I believe it's under "Tools" when you sort (by default, it's on "All Games")

[quote name='utopianmachine']Bully was recently like $5 or so, and I picked it up then. I started playing it, and when my husband saw it, he started playing it on my account in offline mode. We played the game together at the same time for a couple weeks, putting at least 30 hours into it each. We had a great time laughing at all the outfits Jimmy can wear. The missions are varied and quite fun. I really enjoyed exploring Bullworth and the town, and a lot of the characters and stereotypes are entertaining. A lot of geek/gaming references.

I can't recommend it enough, especially considering it's less than $4. It also supports the 360 controller. PC controls are really bad, I hear.[/QUOTE]

Cool, you convinced me to buy it. Thanks for the insight.

Got the Doom complete pack, looked too good to pass up not having owned any of the games before (played a little a while back though). That is it so far, waiting for other games to show up on the sale.

[quote name='ndawgdrake']Any differences between Serious Sam HD: Gold Edition over the Serious Sam HD: First and Second Encounter other than the included classic versions of SS 1 & 2 in the Gold Edition?

The fusion patch supposedly works as long as you own SS HD: First and Second.[/QUOTE]

That's the only difference that I know. From the store page:
Serious Sam HD: Gold Edition also includes the original Serious Sam: First and Second Encounter titles from 2001/2002 with four-player split screen, LAN support and the Serious Editor for custom maps creation!

And in case you're wondering what the point of having the old games is: there are rooms that were cut from the remakes because they were incompatible with the engine. (Zero gravity, etc.)

[quote name='wedge119']I actually picked up Trine on your recommendation; it is a beautiful game.
The artist (and animators) did a wonderful job.[/QUOTE]

Glad I could help! I've played a few hours of it this evening, and I've been very happy. The game is incredible. There's an obvious outpouring of love in the environmental design, and the the enemies are fairly intelligent. The progression of abilities for the characters is performed at a good pace, and the characters themselves are entertaining in their backstory and dialogue.

For $1.99, you would be missing out, if you have any love of platformers at all.

[quote name='xxjonoxx']Cool, you convinced me to buy it. Thanks for the insight.[/QUOTE]

Bully wasn't super well-received back when it came out, being a fairly big departure for the GTA creators. As I don't play such "mature" games, I found Bully quite fun, allowing me to experience a GTA-ish game but with a lighter theme.

I'm glad I could help you make the decision to purchase. The game world definitely seems small in comparison to modern open-world games, but I found the size of the world just right.

So far, I got:

the Unreal Pack (UTIII:Black, UT 2K4, UTGOTYE, Unreal Gold, Unreal II)
Serious Sam HD pack (Serious Sam HD: The 1st Encounter + Serious Sam HD: the 2nd Encounter)
Time Gentlemen Please!
Ben There Dan That!
Penny Arcade: On the Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness Ep 1 & 2
Alpha Prime
Chrome
Chrome Spec Force
Quake III pack (Quake III arena + Quake III Team Arena)
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West
Doom 3 pack (Doom III + Doom III:Resurrection of Evil)

So far, I got:

the Unreal Pack (UTIII:Black, UT 2K4, UTGOTYE, Unreal Gold, Unreal II)
Serious Sam HD pack (Serious Sam HD: The 1st Encounter + Serious Sam HD: the 2nd Encounter)
Time Gentlemen Please!
Ben There Dan That!
Penny Arcade: On the Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness Ep 1 & 2
Alpha Prime
Chrome
Chrome Spec Force
Quake III pack (Quake III arena + Quake III Team Arena)
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West
Doom 3 pack (Doom III + Doom III:Resurrection of Evil)

I dont know if anyone noticed but The Mawsome pack is 2.99 the maw with all its dlc, I played it on xbox live and it was entertaining, im gonna wait till the end but if it doesnt go on sale Im gonna grab it.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']I dont know if anyone noticed but The Mawsome pack is 2.99 the maw with all its dlc, I played it on xbox live and it was entertaining, im gonna wait till the end but if it doesnt go on sale Im gonna grab it.[/QUOTE]

I was tempted by that, but I'm going to pass, as I already own the XBLA version. I don't want to get into the habit of buying multiple versions of a game. I do good if I can finish a game. Asking me to finish it twice is too much! ;)

[quote name='DesertLeo']C'mon terrarria......[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting on that one too. $7.50 ain't bad but I'll wait it out in case I save a few more bucks and turn it into another game. :cool:

Hey I wanted to let you guys know in case anyone is curious. Bully is absolutely fine. I played it for a half hour and the KB+M controls are great as well as the 360 controller. I haven't seen any glitches or crashing and it runs smooth and looks sharp. Anyone who likes Rockstar games and hasn't tried this one would be a fool not to pick it up for $3.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I was tempted by that, but I'm going to pass, as I already own the XBLA version. I don't want to get into the habit of buying multiple versions of a game. I do good if I can finish a game. Asking me to finish it twice is too much! ;)[/QUOTE]

I sometimes buy on Steam if I have a hard copy that I can dispose of elsewhere.

Currently, I'm using a browser to buy Daily Deals, and the shopping cart on Steam itself for stuff like the Maw I plan on purchasing the last day if it doesn't get a Daily. My wishlist is currently too big to do the latter.

[quote name='DesertLeo']C'mon terrarria......[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Umair56']I'm waiting on that one too. $7.50 ain't bad but I'll wait it out in case I save a few more bucks and turn it into another game. :cool:[/QUOTE]

What i'm waiting for too, Frozen Synapse looks interesting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back