Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='VindictiveGnome']The PC version looks way cooler with the PhysX. I'm not sure if I should buy it again just for that. Watching the gameplay does make me want to go back through it. I beat it first on 360, then I wanted to play as Joker so I bought the PS3 version. I beat that on hard difficulty. I'm not sure what to do!![/QUOTE]"Don't buy it if you're not gonna play it."

That's what I'd say. Then again, I find it hard to heed that advice (

[quote name='SEH']This sale is great for new users, but does anyone else who's been on Steam for awhile feel like it's the same stuff on sale all the time? The past three or four Steam sales we've seen stuff like L4D, Batman, Far Cry, GTA, Stalker, the same developer bundles, etc...

I used to really look forward to these Steam sales, but now I really don't as it's the same games over and over.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, worst yet. It's almost always the same prices as before....

I've had my eye on Sims 3 for awhile, I think I might get it while it's on sale.
At least if I buy it, I won't feel too guilty about torrenting it to get rid of DRM. :p

[quote name='Newl']I almost feel like buying L4D2 just for the ticket.
(I already have it on 360 and do not particularly enjoy it)

Also, is Killing Floor basically a L4D ripoff/reskin? as suggested by the description.[/QUOTE]

Killing Floor is nothing like L4D. It's an arena survival-mode game. With outdated graphics and a weak premise. There is no story, there is no goal (other than survival).

It's just pure adrenaline - point/shoot, point/shoot, run. Point/shoot, point/shoot, run. Rearm at a weird little store that magically and inexplicably appears in between rounds. Then shoot and run around the map some more! Whee! Repeat until you die. After 5 minutes, you've seen everything the game has to offer, as far as gameplay goes. Just blowing up different types of zombies in different maps.

This appeals to many people. It doesn't appeal to me. On the upside, it runs on the weakest of machines because the graphics look like 2005. That's not entirely a bad thing - it's a fast game and doesn't need flashy particle effects to succeed at what it does. And - great developer support. There's new maps and new DLC and events like the current one all the time. I love that.

L4D tells a story, sort of, and requires cooperative gameplay as you work your way through varied environments from points A to B. Both games give you laughs but L4D is actually humorous; KF is more like a giddy adrenaline high.

Gameplay videos are available for both. And, frankly, at these prices, why not buy both and see which one you prefer? You may find that you love both.

Anyone have a crystal ball they can stare into as far as thoughts on a daily on Fallout 3: GoTY :p? D2D has it up for ~$10, but from what I read, it isn't compatible with FOSE/mods, so I'm torn.

Anyone have any thoughts on the FO3 mods in general? I'm feeling like I'll wait for now, since FO:NV was just $15, so FO3 either has to be a daily during the sale, or up for a regular daily deal in the near future.

[quote name='sotc1988']I love the PC version of Batman AA. Granted, it's the only one I've played, but it looks amazing maxed out running at 60 + fps. If you haven't bought much else this sale, I'd say it's worth double (triple?) dipping.[/QUOTE]

I've only ever had the PC version, but lemme say that it does indeed look wonderful. I'm not a fan of gritty, grimy looks in games, but in Batman: AA it fits perfectly and makes sense. One thing I'd recommend would be to use a gamepad to play. I got a good chunk of the way using keyboard and mouse, but the combat, to me, feels much smoother with a gamepad. Your mileage may vary, of course :)

As for the gameplay itself, I'd say it's brilliant. It's a perfect blend of snappy combat, stealth and light exploration. At this price it's a bargain.

I will add, Killing Floor does add an RPG element. There are six classes I believe and they all have six levels (7 if you count cap). Each level gives a boost of your stats. Stats carry with you sever to server and are on the steam cloud I believe. It takes a long time to get them maxed out.

I prefer L4D for the story and fun and Killing Floor for mindless shooting. I feel like my life is more valuable in L4D. It is still pretty easy to die in KF as well, but only on hard and higher.

I've beaten Batman: AA on the 360 and on the PC. Personally, I felt like the PC version was superior primarily due to the being able to play it at 60fps @ 1920x1200 w/ all details maxed on my GTX 570. Used my wired 360 controller, so it was just like playing the 360 version, but on steroids.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']If Bethesda put out a complete pack on Steam (yes, including Call of Cthulu), it'd be an instant buy for me.[/QUOTE]I'd have to second that one, even though I own a number of their games on disc and a couple on Steam, picking up all of their games in one pack would be a heck of a good deal.

[quote name='LordFlux']I've beaten Batman: AA on the 360 and on the PC. Personally, I felt like the PC version was superior primarily due to the being able to play it at 60fps @ 1920x1200 w/ all details maxed on my GTX 570. Used my wired 360 controller, so it was just like playing the 360 version, but on steroids.[/QUOTE]

Sold!

[quote name='shrike4242']I'd have to second that one, even though I own a number of their games on disc and a couple on Steam, picking up all of their games in one pack would be a heck of a good deal.[/QUOTE]

If they did that, I'd buy it, if they gave me a gift-copy of Oblivion GOTY to compensate for the copy I bought a few days ago during the DOTD.

Since it likely won't happen though, I'm gonna keep hoping for a Fallout daily deal with a pack for FO1, 2, and 3 GOTY.

[quote name='Blazncheetah']I bit on the King's Bounty platinum pack.
Anyone played King's Bounty before?
Should I play armored princess or just jump to crossworlds?[/QUOTE]

I'm curious about this as well. I've been debating picking up King's Bounty for a while.

[quote name='Newl']Also, is Killing Floor basically a L4D ripoff/reskin? as suggested by the description.[/QUOTE]

On the surface they may seem similar due to the subject matter, but the gameplay is completely different - in a significant way. LFD2 is polished and fast. KF is gritty and intense. They both have strengths that make me keep each installed and on my playlist.

[quote name='gcorlett']After 5 minutes, you've seen everything the game has to offer, as far as gameplay goes. Just blowing up different types of zombies in different maps.[/QUOTE]

That's not entirely fair. You could say nearly the same thing about L4D2 with the exception of the scripted sequences at the end. Both of them are action games, so you get the taste of all of the gameplay in the first five minutes, but each level holds its own challenges and unpredictable elements that offer rewarding gameplay that far exceeds five minutes.

[quote name='psunami']I'm curious about this as well. I've been debating picking up King's Bounty for a while.[/QUOTE]

I still haven't bought it yet (thinking...) but from my searching on other forums, 99% of the people just say go straight to crossworlds, because its "all armored princess + tweaks to it + 2 other mini-campaigns" or something to that effect.

Still on the fence. Almost considering just picking up King's Bounty Legend (the 1st one) for $3 to see how I like it, but if I like it, then I'm passing up AP/CW for just $4 more. Yikes.

[quote name='psunami']I'm curious about this as well. I've been debating picking up King's Bounty for a while.[/QUOTE]

Here are some posts from earlier today explaining the differences and recommendations.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8635849&postcount=12159
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8635845&postcount=12158
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8635838&postcount=12155

I've only played The Legend so far, but I like the gameplay so far. There's a demo available, so give it a whirl.

I think I'm going to grab Batman: AA instead of Gothic Universe after all, since I just realized I already have boxed copies of 2 and 3. :lol: I have got to get a master list of my games together. Steam copies would be nice eventually, but not worth it right now.

Also going to grab Sims 3, and perhaps Atom Zombie Smasher. I'd get GTA IV Complete, but that starts really adding up then. We'll see. I'm not a huge GTA fan, so it's not essential I grab it, but it'd be fun to dip my toe into that game eventually.

[quote name='Blazncheetah']I bit on the King's Bounty platinum pack.
Anyone played King's Bounty before?
Should I play armored princess or just jump to crossworlds?[/QUOTE]
The game's sequel is as follow: The Legends -> Armored Princess/Crossworlds. Apparently, Crossworlds is more of an add-on to Armored Princess, but if you install Crossworlds, Steam will also install Armored Princess for you, too.

As for the game, I've only tried a bit of Armored Princess (curse you, backlog!), and from what I can tell, the combat is very similar to Heroes of Might and Magic. When you engage in combat, it's all turn-based. You have your army and you control where they move to and who they attack. If I remember correctly, when it's your hero's move, you can attack or cast spells to turn the tides of the battle.

When you're moving about in the world, it's pretty much free-movement (at least from the 30 minutes or so I've tried). Unlike the HoMM series which limits your heroes' movements per turn.

Overall, if this sounds like your kind of genre of games, then you'll probably like this series (it has favorable ratings metacritic).

[quote name='blitztwn36']Anyone have a crystal ball they can stare into as far as thoughts on a daily on Fallout 3: GoTY :p? D2D has it up for ~$10, but from what I read, it isn't compatible with FOSE/mods, so I'm torn.

Anyone have any thoughts on the FO3 mods in general? I'm feeling like I'll wait for now, since FO:NV was just $15, so FO3 either has to be a daily during the sale, or up for a regular daily deal in the near future.[/QUOTE]

FO3 without mods is like a life without meaning. :whistle2:|

Most mods requires FOSE (which disables Game for Windows), even a basic save game manager mod (which makes the default saving systems look archaic) needs FOSE.

Here are some recommended mods:
CASM (Cipscis' Automatic Save Manager): manages when the game will save (level up, found new location, under specific circumstances) and allows you to specify up to (if I remember correctly) 50 different save files in case something goes wrong later down the road.

MTUI: modifies the GUI to increase efficiency (check out the screenshots there to see what I mean).

Marts Mutant Mod (aka MMM): adds a whole buncha new monsters and stuff into the game. Even new bosses, if I remember correctly!

FOOK2: adds weapons, among other goodies. I can't remember exactly why this mod was so popular, but more = better, right?! :lol:

And last, but not least, the ever-so-important mod manager: organizes all of your mods, sorts your load order (very important, as incorrect game load may affect your game), and totally compatible with Steam's Fallout 3! A must have for all your modding needs! :D

Lastly, an important note, I would suggest that you avoid the "Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch" as it has been known to cause a lot of instabilities with other mods. And from reading around, a few people have mentioned that some of the stuff fixed in the unofficial patch have been fixed officially.

Overall, I'd wait for a sale on Steam, as modding to this game can be quite crucial to your entertainment. :)

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Here are some posts from earlier today explaining the differences and recommendations.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8635849&postcount=12159
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8635845&postcount=12158
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8635838&postcount=12155

I've only played The Legend so far, but I like the gameplay so far. There's a demo available, so give it a whirl.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this post. Very helpful stuff.

I'll give the demo a look tonight based on those thoughts. It does sound like a fun game to dig into.

Nimbus updated for me today with an achievement I believe to be new. Will probably be on sale tomorrow.

Today I think I'm going to pick up Atom Zombie Smasher. I'm also thinking of killing floor, but I'm not sure as to if my laptop will run it. Has anyone here played it on Intel integrated GMA?

So far for the sale I'm at:
Beat Hazard Collection
Deus Ex GOTY
Frozen Synapse
Garry's Mod
Grand Theft Auto Classics
Recettear
Star Wars Empire at War Gold
Super Meat Boy
Torchlight

I've bought too much :p

[quote name='9Tale']Upset I missed Monday Night Combat... ah well. Keep the sales coming![/QUOTE]

check the group buy thread, you might find someone selling a copy.

[quote name='SpecialK7225']Nimbus updated for me today with an achievement I believe to be new. Will probably be on sale tomorrow.
[/QUOTE]

Good news :)

I've had my eye on Nimbus for a while now. $2.50 and it's an instabuy. Looks like a lot of fun.

So, I think I am going to pick up Killing Floor. If I do, I will end up playing some tonight and buying the skin packs if I like it.

If I do get KF, I don't think I will get Far Cry or Far Cry 2, because they go on sale all the time, and I have tons of games to play. Also, not sure I want another shooter right now, especially one that a lot of people don't like (I'm looking at you Far Cry 2).

But considering some Gothics, not 4 but earlier ones. So 2 or 3? 2 is rated higher, 3 has newer graphics. I definitely consider graphics, but if 2 is way better I would get that. Anyone shed any light on where I should go with this? Universe pack, or just grab 2 or 3?

EDIT: Would anyone here be willing to play KF with me at all? I am more of a solo guy, and that is the only thing holding me back. If so, I will probably buy all skins too, as I feel like I could get into this game if I had people to play with on occasion. I don't have a pc mic, but I suppose I could buy one?

[quote name='Pheace']Tomorrow Sanctum's -75%[/QUOTE]

Sure hope you're right! I'd totally get that.

EDIT:
[quote name='utopianmachine']There's no way to add DLC or bundles to your wishlist, is there?[/QUOTE]

Bundles, no. Some DLC you can. I had Beat Hazard Ultra and the Fallout: New Vegas DLCs on my wishlist.

[quote name='gcorlett']I am still baffled about why New Vegas went for 70% off but not Fallout 3 GOTY. And it's $9 today at Direct2Drive. But I would prefer it here. Grumble![/QUOTE]

Me too. :\ But can't we activate the D2D version of Fallout 3 on Steam? If so I'm game, I would love to have the PC version for all the mods and stuff (currently playing the Xbox 360 version).

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Sure hope you're right! I'd totally get that.
[/QUOTE]

Developers confirmed it in Totalbiscuit's latest WTF is?! on Sanctum :)

[quote name='Alien Spider']Me too. :\ But can't we activate the D2D version of Fallout 3 on Steam? If so I'm game, I would love to have the PC version for all the mods and stuff (currently playing the Xbox 360 version).[/QUOTE]

No FO3 is a GFW game.

FNV is Steamworks

[quote name='Alien Spider']Me too. :\ But can't we activate the D2D version of Fallout 3 on Steam? If so I'm game, I would love to have the PC version for all the mods and stuff (currently playing the Xbox 360 version).[/QUOTE]

Last thing you want is the D2D version then. It doesn't activate on Steam and even worse, it does NOT work with mods since Fose or something doesn't work with it.

[quote name='pROvIs']No FO3 is a GFW game.

FNV is Steamworks[/QUOTE]

Gamestop was selling Steam keys for the FO3 GOTY a while ago though, strange situation. But yeah in general, don't assume it will.

I'll repeat myself here. For anyone thinking of getting KF, I have spare copies that I'm willing to trade for 5 bucks games in my wishlist (namely, Detour, ARES, Dwarfs, Inside a Star filled Sky, Delve Deeper). If you're interested send me a PM, any help is appreciated :D

Ah ok, yeah I was totally confused, I remember people saying the keys that Gamestop was selling worked with Steam so I just assumed everywhere else would do the same, thanks guys you saved me $10! (especially since mods won't even work with the D2D version, that's incredibly lame :( )

As for the Steam sale so far, I have seen some good deals...too bad almost every one of those games already had. Sigh. Well, with my fairly outdated rig it's just as well I guess.

Though I have picked up so far:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Magicka Complete Pack (June 2011)
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale (for the wife, she loves this game! This and PvZ which I bought her awhile back when it first was on sale for $3.74)

I might pick up the Killing Floor - Steampunk Characker Pack since it's only a $1.50...

[quote name='Alien Spider']I might pick up the Killing Floor - Steampunk Characker Pack since it's only a $1.50...[/QUOTE]

You can also get the pack for 3 tickets, and save yourself $1.50.

[quote name='iso135']So, I think I am going to pick up Killing Floor. If I do, I will end up playing some tonight and buying the skin packs if I like it.

If I do get KF, I don't think I will get Far Cry or Far Cry 2, because they go on sale all the time, and I have tons of games to play. Also, not sure I want another shooter right now, especially one that a lot of people don't like (I'm looking at you Far Cry 2).

But considering some Gothics, not 4 but earlier ones. So 2 or 3? 2 is rated higher, 3 has newer graphics. I definitely consider graphics, but if 2 is way better I would get that. Anyone shed any light on where I should go with this? Universe pack, or just grab 2 or 3?

EDIT: Would anyone here be willing to play KF with me at all? I am more of a solo guy, and that is the only thing holding me back. If so, I will probably buy all skins too, as I feel like I could get into this game if I had people to play with on occasion. I don't have a pc mic, but I suppose I could buy one?[/QUOTE]

Ill play sent you pm, and anyone else for that matter, my steam id is Dragonsbane058 I have a mic and if you dont thats np, you can still hear me and I can atleast yell about big zombies :)

[quote name='iso135']So, I think I am going to pick up Killing Floor. If I do, I will end up playing some tonight and buying the skin packs if I like it.

EDIT: Would anyone here be willing to play KF with me at all? I am more of a solo guy, and that is the only thing holding me back. If so, I will probably buy all skins too, as I feel like I could get into this game if I had people to play with on occasion. I don't have a pc mic, but I suppose I could buy one?[/QUOTE]

Most KF players I've played with don't have a mic and even then, most of the keyboard banter are jokes or cursing after getting killed. You can add me on Steam as I'll be trying to get some game time in this weekend if not sooner.

EDIT: If anyone wants to add me to their friend list, please feel free.

Thanks, Dragonsbane and MikeUFC, I look forward to playing with both of you! I'm definitely picking it up this time (let it pass in previous sales).

EDIT: Oh yeah, anyone else that might want to play KF add me, steam user iso135, same as CAG.

Wow I love how these sales came about a week after I finally got my new pc. I've bought about a hundred dollars in games but for some reason I still find myself playing oblivion goty for like the fifth time lol. (albeit with better graphics and mods)

I think killing floor came out originally on the unreal 2 engine. So if anything Left4Dead stole it's premise, not the other way around.

I really like Killing Floor...not the most complex game, but really fun for me as an FPS lover. Loved not all guns having a crosshair and having to use ironsights and/or no scope with weapons (brings back memories from CS days). I've put in 60 hours or so since December 2009.

Here's my short gameplay video so anyone interested can get a better idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e30ibTaoUw&

[quote name='dmdragon']I think killing floor came out originally on the unreal 2 engine. So if anything Left4Dead stole it's premise, not the other way around.[/QUOTE]

Yup, that's for sure...I remember it being a mod on UT2K4.
It makes sense because the whole "Waves" concept is from the Invasion game mode in UT2K4 if anyone remembers that.

[quote name='Khamous']I'll repeat myself here. For anyone thinking of getting KF, I have spare copies that I'm willing to trade for 5 bucks games in my wishlist (namely, Detour, ARES, Dwarfs, Inside a Star filled Sky, Delve Deeper). If you're interested send me a PM, any help is appreciated :D[/QUOTE]

you've got a PM, hit me up soon before I buy it!

[quote name='dmdragon']I think killing floor came out originally on the unreal 2 engine. So if anything Left4Dead stole it's premise, not the other way around.[/QUOTE]

Can you really steal the idea of fighting of the zombie hordes?

I wonder if they're going to replace todays free ticket (link youtube and post a video) with another free ticket, since it was taken down shortly after todays sale went live.

[quote name='deviousnaraku']I wonder if they're going to replace todays free ticket (link youtube and post a video) with another free ticket, since it was taken down shortly after todays sale went live.[/QUOTE]

I think they will double up on the "free" tickets on one of the remaining days. It will most likely pop back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back