Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't bought Jamestown yet, here is my short review after 106 minutes of game time.

I was playing local co-op (no online available) with my lady friend with her on 360 control, and I on keyboard. There are 5 difficulty settings: normal, difficult, legendary, divine, and judgement (locked). There are 6 levels. We got through 4 on difficulty setting, however, you cannot advance to the 5th and 6th unless you beat the game in Legendary or higher. Played through two stages on legendary fairly easy. Went back to try divine on first stage, and was TOUGH!! But super, super fun. It's the only way to play! The 2nd level really frustrated us in the most positive way. We were able to get through 50% on divine, but are taking a break now.

This game is super duper fun. If you're a big fan of Megaman or classic NES games, you've got to get this. It's the kind of game you WANT to replay because it's a memory game. You learn the levels and good strategies and if executed well, you're rewarded! You gain Gold and can unlock 3 extra ships, different game modes, and "Judgement" difficulty is unlockable as well. There are bonus levels that are more like challenges, but we didn't try that out yet.

Looking forward to playing this solo. I tend to focus better on the bullets when there is only one ship.

If you haven't bought Jamestown yet, here is my short review after 106 minutes of game time.

I was playing local co-op (no online available) with my lady friend with her on 360 control, and I on keyboard. There are 5 difficulty settings: normal, difficult, legendary, divine, and judgement (unlockable). There are 6 levels. We got through 4 on difficulty setting, however, you cannot advance to the 5th and 6th unless you beat the game in Legendary or higher. Played through two stages on legendary fairly easy. Went back to try divine on first stage, and was TOUGH!! But super, super fun. It's the only way to play! The 2nd level really frustrated us in the most positive way. We were able to get through 50% on divine, but are taking a break now.

This game is super duper fun. If you're a big fan of Megaman or classic NES games, you've got to get this. It's the kind of game you WANT to replay because it's a memory game. You learn the levels and good strategies and if executed well, you're rewarded! You gain Gold and can unlock 3 extra ships, different game modes, and "Judgement" difficulty is unlockable as well. There are bonus levels that are more like challenges, but we didn't try that out yet.

Looking forward to playing this solo. I tend to focus better on the bullets when there is only one ship.

Picked up Jamestown - Ready to kill those martians!

I really liked Killing Floor, its not very deep but it is... satisfying. Perhaps more so in short bursts. Its fun when they do the seasonal events with different skins. During Christmas, the Patriarch (boss) looked like Santa Claus. If you play right now and get the seasonal achievements, you get a new character skin. Worth the $5, I say hold off on the skins and just use your tickets to grab the Steampunk pack.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']KF stole from Doom, obviously :)[/QUOTE]

Is KF demons or zombies? Or, is it both? Because if its demons then obviously it stole from Doom. I mean there can be no other explanation if two games share something in common.

[quote name='alangee']If you haven't bought Jamestown yet, here is my short review after 106 minutes of game time.

I was playing local co-op (no online available) with my lady friend with her on 360 control, and I on keyboard. There are 5 difficulty settings: normal, difficult, legendary, divine, and judgement (locked). There are 6 levels. We got through 4 on difficulty setting, however, you cannot advance to the 5th and 6th unless you beat the game in Legendary or higher. Played through two stages on legendary fairly easy. Went back to try divine on first stage, and was TOUGH!! But super, super fun. It's the only way to play! The 2nd level really frustrated us in the most positive way. We were able to get through 50% on divine, but are taking a break now.

Looking forward to playing this solo. I tend to focus better on the bullets when there is only one ship.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! You've done a great job justifying my purchase of this! After watching GiantBomb's quick look I found the game to be charming.

What are the Gothic games like? I think about getting Gothic Universe (1, 2, 3) for $6 and Gothic 3 Enhanced for $2.50. I probably won't play them for awhile so not going to bother with Gothic 4.

Are the first 3 worth $8.50?

Ended up with:

King's Bounty: Platinum Edition
Killing Floor & all DLC

I really want Jamestown but see this being cheaper during the winter sale. Besides with everything that I've bought during this sale, I wouldn't be able to give it the proper attention it deserves.

If you at all like shumps, you owe it to yourself to get Jamestown.

If you like shumps but suck at them, Jamestown is perfect for you.

If you like shumps but are pretty good at them, Jamestown is also great for you.

The difficulty curve spans immensely and apart from the lackluster, kinda weak shop, it does everything to meet gamers at every level and prod them into taking it up a notch and get better... well, apart from running a shump teaching workshop.

Killing Floor is good fun in short bursts, for a couple of hours at a time and then tossed aside for months. The perk grinding is irritating to the nth degree, locking benefits of the game's classes beyond huge grind walls ensuring that there is a HUGE difference between two players damage-dealing abilities when perks are taken into account. Normal becomes a cake walk and the highest difficulties just become a moderate challenge.

Lost Planet 2 and Prototype are both games I want. LP2 sucks but I still would like it cheap. Prototype is great but I'd be double dipping for the PC version. The "sale" prices they are asking deserve nothing less than a hearty laugh. What a joke.

I picked up Jamestown...had been wanting it.

It reminds me of my first PS1 game The Raiden Project (I still have it) ;)

2qwotn8.jpg

[quote name='Jokerkun890']What are the Gothic games like? I think about getting Gothic Universe (1, 2, 3) for $6 and Gothic 3 Enhanced for $2.50. I probably won't play them for awhile so not going to bother with Gothic 4.

Are the first 3 worth $8.50?[/QUOTE]

Get the Gothic Universe bundle for $5.74 (1, 2, 3) and avoid Arcania and Forsaken Gods like the plague. Gothic 1 and 2 are excellent game play wise but obviously have dated graphics (that still look good, imo). 3 was more ambitious and failed but is still halfway decent with the Community patch. Keep in mind 1 and 2 are fairly old school and challenging RPGs (I'd call them ARPGs but people might confuse them for hack and slash, push A for Awesome type of games).

[quote name='Mooby']Get the Gothic Universe bundle for $5.74 (1, 2, 3) and avoid Arcania and Forsaken Gods like the plague. Gothic 1 and 2 are excellent game play wise but obviously have dated graphics (that still look good, imo). 3 was more ambitious and failed but is still halfway decent with the Community patch. Keep in mind 1 and 2 are fairly old school and challenging RPGs (I'd call them ARPGs but people might confuse them for hack and slash, push A for Awesome type of games).[/QUOTE]

Heh, thanks for the info.

How's the Gothic Universe Edition pack of 3 gothic games? Good price for 3 big RPGs there. What about the Gothic III Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition?

Just tried out that Trine I got for $0.99 last year and I was crazy to wait so long. This game is pretty sweet. Lots of physics puzzles with 3 characters that all have special abilities to work together and solve them. It's a really polished platformer without many and most of the annoyances of other platformer style games like not being able to go back, etc. I set my difficult to Hard and I'm already starting to feel it in the 3rd stage. Good stuff! For those who got it, I recommend not putting it off and trying it as soon as you can! The graphics and atmosphere alone are breathtakingly beautiful as well.

[quote name='Wolfmight']How's the Gothic Universe Edition pack of 3 gothic games? Good price for 3 big RPGs there. What about the Gothic III Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mooby']Get the Gothic Universe bundle for $5.74 (1, 2, 3) and avoid Arcania and Forsaken Gods like the plague. Gothic 1 and 2 are excellent game play wise but obviously have dated graphics (that still look good, imo). 3 was more ambitious and failed but is still halfway decent with the Community patch. Keep in mind 1 and 2 are fairly old school and challenging RPGs (I'd call them ARPGs but people might confuse them for hack and slash, push A for Awesome type of games).[/QUOTE]

Here you go! ;)

[quote name='fishphoenix']Killing Floor DLC worth it or are they just character models?[/QUOTE]

Not really...they're just character models. I bought one for $0.99 once because I really wanted the all black armor character model though ;)

I purchased Sims 3. I haven't played the series since the original Sims came out back whenever. Excited to boot it up tomorrow and see what's changed.

[quote name='jester55']Here you go! ;)[/QUOTE]
Thanks. That solves that. Yes, RPGs of the past are certainly much harder when the audience was less varied in player types and more epic players who'd fight through blood and sweat till the final strike on that final boss of the last level. A lot of the old school nes games only gave a limited number of retries before you had to redo the WHOLE game... and buy a new controller after the final death on the last level cause that gives you no choice but to break your controller...and a window...and the dog. no mercy was found in some of those games...

[quote name='Wolfmight']Thanks. That solves that. Yes, RPGs of the past are certainly much harder when the audience was less varied in player types and more epic players who'd fight through blood and sweat till the final strike on that final boss of the last level. A lot of the old school nes games only gave a limited number of retries before you had to redo the WHOLE game... and buy a new controller after the final death on the last level cause that gives you no choice but to break your controller...and a window...and the dog. no mercy was found in some of those games...[/QUOTE]

Well, for us older gamers this is better than beating our children! :lol::cool:

Looks like I won't be picking up Batman: AA because my video card doesn't handle PhysX very well. No sense in buying it a third time if it will be the same as the console version.

[quote name='VindictiveGnome']Looks like I won't be picking up Batman: AA because my video card doesn't handle PhysX very well. No sense in buying it a third time if it will be the same as the console version.[/QUOTE]

You can turn PhysX off in the menu system. Trying to get out a Steam sale ;)

[quote name='macschwag14']You can turn PhysX off in the menu system. Trying to get out a Steam sale ;)[/QUOTE] Haha, I'm not trying to get out of it. By turning off PhysX it would be just like the console version. I've bought both the 360 and PS3 version so there's really no need to triple dip. But watching that trailer makes me want to play it again. Getting the PC version would be portable...dang it. I have some thinking to do.

[quote name='macschwag14']You can turn PhysX off in the menu system. Trying to get out a Steam sale ;)[/QUOTE]

His point is that the only reason for him to buy Batman AA on pc is because the graphics are better than the console versions he's already finished. If he can't get those extra graphics it's just a waste of money.

[quote name='Wolfmight']How's the Gothic Universe Edition pack of 3 gothic games? Good price for 3 big RPGs there. What about the Gothic III Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition?

Just tried out that Trine I got for $0.99 last year and I was crazy to wait so long. This game is pretty sweet. Lots of physics puzzles with 3 characters that all have special abilities to work together and solve them. It's a really polished platformer without many and most of the annoyances of other platformer style games like not being able to go back, etc. I set my difficult to Hard and I'm already starting to feel it in the 3rd stage. Good stuff! For those who got it, I recommend not putting it off and trying it as soon as you can! The graphics and atmosphere alone are breathtakingly beautiful as well.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind though that unless they changed the controls Gothic one has HORRIBLE controls. Meaning to pick up something you had to like Hold Shift, Alt, Space bar, and then hit e. I don't remember the exact controls, but they were bad like that. Great game though.

[quote name='dmdragon']His point is that the only reason for him to buy Batman AA on pc is because the graphics are better than the console versions he's already finished. If he can't get those extra graphics it's just a waste of money.[/QUOTE]

One day he'll have a better graphics card (/devils advocate)

Of course I say this as someone who owns Batman AA on Steam and on OnLive.

Finally picked up King's Bounty. This has been on my wishlist since I first got Steam around two years ago.

Also picked up the Atom Zombie game. Played the demo and liked what I saw.

Holding off on Sims 3 mainly because it'll play choppy on this computer. Having the backlog that I have also helps.

Decided to finally jump on Kings Bounty pack. Indecision is for the weak! Curse you steam for hemorrhaging money from me! I'm... dying...

And, I needed a set of games that'll give me 50-100+ hours of gameplay when my backlog (see sig) is clogged with dozens of big RPGs already. Sigh.... at least I can play until the end of time and have something to do :p

[quote name='RollingSkull']If you at all like shumps, you owe it to yourself to get Jamestown.

If you like shumps but are pretty good at them, Jamestown is also great for you.

The difficulty curve spans immensely and apart from the lackluster, kinda weak shop, it does everything to meet gamers at every level and prod them into taking it up a notch and get better... well, apart from running a shump teaching workshop.
[/QUOTE]

This right here is what made me cave and buy it at the $5 price point.

I have a retail copies of The Sims 3 and World Adventures (which I don't really recommend as a expansion). I was a bit tempted to buy the Steam versions but I'm sure really. If you don't have the retail version, this is a must buy. I will just wait for cheaper retail expansions. I don't feel right buy the same game over unless I have to.

Atom Zombie Smasher is a lot of fun and definitely worth 2.50. Simple and impossibly difficult at times but fun. I got it during the last indie package deal and put a good number of hours into it. I hope this sale kicks the mod community into gear again.

I couldn't resist GTA IV. I'll just work a half hour of OT sometime this week lol. I needed it to finish out my gta collection. I now have every gta on steam. And OUCH, 32 gigs for both to install. Sucks for you Uverse people who are capped at 200 gb a month :p

Correction from earlier if anyone wants to another person to play killing floor Dragonsbane117

I went ahead and made a CAG group for Killing Floor BTW

ttp://steamcommunity.com/groups/killingfloorcag

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing 4v4 L4D 1 & 2 matches w/ 7 friends are some of the best gaming experiences of my life. So much fun! Playing with strangers is hit or miss, of course. But even single player is decent, the bots are ok. There's also tons of community made maps, some of which rival Valve in their quality and design.

I could never get into KF. The gameplay, artwork, level design, I found all of it annoying.

I only had 3 steam games at the start of this sale, now I have like 42 game, even considering alot of them just old school games that came in packs but still.

[quote name='VindictiveGnome']Looks like I won't be picking up Batman: AA because my video card doesn't handle PhysX very well. No sense in buying it a third time if it will be the same as the console version.[/QUOTE]

I have a 9500 GT. That's a $50 card. Super old and shitty, I'm totally ashamed of it. I played AA with PhysX on, it worked.

Just watching the trailer for the first GTA IV got me nostalgic. Such an epic game. If you're looking for something to really sink you teeth into, it's long as hell and very rewarding. The other 2 episodes as well. Great gameplay, storytelling, dialog and acting all around. Liberty City lives and breathes.

I'd get the King's Bounty and Gothic packs, but I won't get to playing them anytime soon, so I might as well wait for the winter sale to see where I am. Shoot, with my backlog, it should probably be next year's winter sale before I buy anything else. :lol:

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I'd get the King's Bounty and Gothic packs, but I won't get to playing them anytime soon, so I might as well wait for the winter sale to see where I am. Shoot, with my backlog, it should probably be next year's winter sale before I buy anything else. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I hear yah! :applause:

[quote name='RollingSkull']If you at all like shumps, you owe it to yourself to get Jamestown.

If you like shumps but are pretty good at them, Jamestown is also great for you.[/QUOTE]

Bought Jamestown because of this, and I agree it's a hell of a lot of fun, but I wish they had made it more obvious that you need to beat the earlier levels on a higher difficulty to unlock the later ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back