Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
got the Far Cry 2 Fortunes Edition. i still plan on beating far cry 1 before i start this though. about half way through now maybe farther.

Just Jamestown and Atom Zombie Smasher for me today.

I haven't been able to play Jamestown yet, but Atom Zombie Smasher is very interesting. It's kind of an overhead, tactical strategy shooter combined with a Choplifter game. The soundtrack has a Pulp Fiction surfer music vibe and the cutscenes are presented in comic book frame style.

[quote name='lito88']Is Jamestown better with a controller?[/QUOTE]

It's a lot easier to play with a controller because the ship has a maximum move speed that can make it annoying to control with a mouse (ie you move the mouse to the right and it takes the ship a second to catch up) and got me killed a lot. I pretty much recommend using a controller or some kind of joystick at least.

Ending up picking up Jamestown - Man it is really good so far! It's great to have a shump in my steam library! :bouncy:

Ahww I just learned all about Nvidia's physics accelerator and how Ati cards don't support it. I wanted to play Batman AA but seeing how it loses atmosphere without the physx goodies I'll have to pass :( I just want to experience my games to the fullest or not at all.

I know there's a workaround but it costs me 8x the value of the game plus a LOT of hassle to get it to work.

Nothing for me here today. KF and L4D2 have great prices though. I got L4D2 for 30 or something on release and KF on a previous $5 sale. Both are great games.

[quote name='Therapy']Ahww I just learned all about Nvidia's physics accelerator and how Ati cards don't support it. I wanted to play Batman AA but seeing how it loses atmoshpere without the physx goodies I'll have to pass :( I just want to experience my games to the fullest or not at all.[/QUOTE]

You sacrifice a lot of FPS in order to achieve PhysX enhancements. It's really not worth it imho unless you have a super fast card or a dedicated Physx card. Watch some videos on Youtube comparing the differences, they're not significant Enough to justify buying a fast enough card or dedicated card. There is a software hack to get Physx to work with ATI, but again not worth it.

On a side not, is the Killing Floor DLC worth it? Are they just extra costume packs?

[quote name='Therapy']Ahww I just learned all about Nvidia's physics accelerator and how Ati cards don't support it. I wanted to play Batman AA but seeing how it loses atmosphere without the physx goodies I'll have to pass :( I just want to experience my games to the fullest or not at all.

I know there's a workaround but it costs me 8x the value of the game plus a LOT of hassle to get it to work.[/QUOTE]

Didn't notice much from going from nvidia to ati. Don't pass it up because of this

[quote name='Lancezos']On a side not, is the Killing Floor DLC worth it? Are they just extra costume packs?[/QUOTE]The DLC for Killing Floor is just character skins. They're a good way to support Tripwire if you like the game but add nothing to gameplay.

[quote name='Lancezos']
On a side not, is the Killing Floor DLC worth it? Are they just extra costume packs?[/QUOTE]

Just costumes. Worth it if it's cheap

[quote name='wongjp']I picked up Jamestown and gave it go for about an hour with a wired Xbox Controller. I love it! Great gameplay, music, graphics. I found myself especially hooked with the "Challenge Stages" that appeared after a few levels. Highly recommended...[/QUOTE]

Same here. I'm not a big fan of shmups but this game is really good and works great with a 360 controller.

So far I've bought Left for Dead 2, Beat Hazard(even though I own it on Xbox) and Monday Night Combat. I'm terrible at MNC. I'd love to get good at it though but Team Fortress 2 has me distracted.

After being torn about which King's Bounty game I wanted most, I just bought the whole pack. This is an evil plot by Steam to force you to buy more than you might normally.

And even doing so, you're still happy about it. :D

[quote name='utopianmachine']After being torn about which King's Bounty game I wanted most, I just bought the whole pack. This is an evil plot by Steam to force you to buy more than you might normally.

And even doing so, you're still happy about it. :D[/QUOTE]
The last game I bought off Steam before the sale was Far Cry for $2.50 a few months ago.

My online banking website has a list of purchases from Valve Software now :lol:

Oh god, and more deals today. I can't take this anymore, between the 3 discount PSN games I got this week and the Steam Sale, my wallet is wishing I did not. I seriously have other things to buy such as a new HD for my PS3 but I thought I might be able to save up for it. Not with these deals, lol.

[quote name='utopianmachine']After being torn about which King's Bounty game I wanted most, I just bought the whole pack. This is an evil plot by Steam to force you to buy more than you might normally.

And even doing so, you're still happy about it. :D[/QUOTE]
Seriously. I think I'm buying just for the sake of buying now. These sales are genius - if people are willing to pay full price they will, but a lot of these deals are too good to pass even to those careful spenders. This also brings in new customers, expanding their stranglehold on the market.

Plus they have those summer achievements now - another brilliant tactic. Sure you get a couple of crappy prizes that for the most part aren't worth anything, but they're getting you to buy games so you can get the daily achievements and therefore those prizes.

Damn you Steam, you're too good!

I have a couple of questions about gifting something to myself.

I bought the base game of Sims 3 last night, and now I'm considering buying a couple of the expansion packs before the sale ends. However, I would really like to have some time to play the base game before installing any expansions. In order to play the base game first, I either need to wait for a future sale and hope that they’re included, or I have to get a gifted copy of the expansions which I can redeem in a week or two. I don't want to take a chance on the games being on sale again, so gifting is the way to go.

My first question is, can I just gift the codes to myself? If so, do I need to send them to the same email address that my steam account is linked to in order to activate them under my account?

Second question, do the codes that get emailed to the gift recipient (in this case, me) ever expire? If so, how long would I have to activate the codes?

[quote name='The End']My first question is, can I just gift the codes to myself? If so, do I need to send them to the same email address that my steam account is linked to in order to activate them under my account?

Second question, do the codes that get emailed to the gift recipient (in this case, me) ever expire? If so, how long would I have to activate the codes?[/QUOTE]
Yup, you can gift to yourself. I've done it many times before. Just gift it to your own email address. They do not expire.

[quote name='dark2025']Yup, you can gift to yourself. I've done it many times before. Just gift it to your own email address. They do not expire.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic! I just did it and it worked. Thanks for the help.

[quote name='dark2025']Plus they have those summer achievements now - another brilliant tactic. Sure you get a couple of crappy prizes that for the most part aren't worth anything, but they're getting you to buy games so you can get the daily achievements and therefore those prizes.

Damn you Steam, you're too good![/QUOTE]

The summer achievements were a really smart idea. It caused me to consider purchasing games I hadn't known about previously. Although I ended up finding the demo of Dwarfs uninteresting, I'm still considering A Reckless Disregard for Gravity by the sale's end, which is one of the games with prizes.

I've already redeemed 4 prizes for myself. Fantastic promotion overall.

Okay, I have to ask... I keep seeing people call Jamestown a Shump, but that makes NO SENSE!!!

Shoot em up

Shemp not Shump, right?

Darn artistic license....

Yeah Im just waiting by to buy something. I felt like getting something but I dont really need to add anything. Hoping today changes that and I grab something.

[quote name='Zipomatic2']Okay, I have to ask... I keep seeing people call Jamestown a Shump, but that makes NO SENSE!!!

Shoot em up

Shemp not Shump, right?

Darn artistic license....[/QUOTE]
I always thought it was "shmup" - shoot em up.

Shemp was a Stooge. ;)

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Hoping to see Duke Nukem Forever for 19.99 - surprised its not on sale AT ALL![/QUOTE]

FYI its included in the 2k pack which is a slamin deal if you dont have those games already.

^^^ Ninja'd ;) lol

[quote name='Zipomatic2']Okay, I have to ask... I keep seeing people call Jamestown a Shump, but that makes NO SENSE!!!

Shoot em up

Shemp not Shump, right?

I didn't invent the term, but it seems to be popular among the fans ;)...

It is spelled shmup... Makes sense to me:

SH= Shoot
M= Em
UP= Up

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Don't forget to change the bat files to point to zDoom instead of dosbox! :D Makes for a much more pleasant experience in Doom(Ultimate/II/Final), Heretic, and Hexen! Also, when playing Quake I you'll need to update GLQuake to the latest version. Apparently Steam automatically deploys an outdated version of GLQuake that has trouble even running.

There may be other necessary "tweaks", but I haven't had a chance to install much else than those. Waiting on a new drive (which will be entirely dedicated to Steam!) to arrive in the mail. ;o;[/QUOTE]Thanks for lookin' out! Fortunately my Doom-savvy brother has been guiding me through the tweak process. I've got Steam pointing to GZDoom now, along with some updated music files (optimized midi versions recorded onto .ogg or something?). I'm keeping the graphics raw while taking advantage of the widescreen and dynamic lighting enhancements. Man this game holds up well!!! And I've only ever played the shareware episode from back in the day. Can't wait to play the rest of Ultimate Doom for the first time!

[quote name='lito88']Didn't notice much from going from nvidia to ati. Don't pass it up because of this[/QUOTE]

I have seen some significant differences on some HD youtube vids. It's "only" details, but significant enough to greatly reduce the atmosphere for me. This doesn't necessarily count for every game that uses physx but defenitely for this game (Batman AA).

I'n usually not such a graphics whore. But having seen these vids, the things I saw greatly added to the eerie ambiance the game is showing. Like realistic steam effects coming from pipes and certain effects that you totally miss out on with physx disabled. I know myself well enough to feel like I should get the total package if I truly want to enjoy this game to the fullest. Because sometimes it's really the little things that make a game beautiful.

Knock on wood, but so far I have only bought 1 game.
My logic - Until I get through part of my backlog, why should I spend more money?
I still have 10 games from the last sale I have not beat...
This has saved me from:
DA:U
Mount and Blade
Kings Bounty

But can I continue to hang on? My grip is weakening......

I know portal 2 is currently on sale but I'd love to see it for less. I own it for Xbox 360 but I'd easily buy it again for $20 bucks.

[quote name='jagdeep820']man i hope they do fallout goty and crysis 1[/QUOTE]
Can't wait to see what they have today. If you're not sure whether fallout 3 and New Vegas are connected, they are entirely different storylines so there's no worry of which to try first. Both are great in their own ways. For those who haven't played either, I feel like Fallout 3 is easier and lets you learn the game's main aspects first before taking on the more complex New Vegas. Other players have said the same as well. New Vegas is great for experienced players, especially if your going to take on the Hardcore Mode achievement (beat one of the several storylines in Hardcore). Hell I've played New Vegas since last year and gotten most of the achievements and still got that NCR ending to complete + now I got the 2 DLCs so that's a bunch of other stuff in addition. So glad those went on sale, that was a little sweet surprise when I came across them the other day when NV was on sale too.

I'm hoping for some more combo packs under $10.

Trying my hardest to resist Batman at $7.5 for the third time... gawd, I'm so proud of myself!

I just prefer not to pay much more than $5 for GFWL infested games, and limited Securom activations adds insult to injury. Hoping it will be $5 next time, then i'll pick it up. I have an unending backlog anyway so just need to resist my buying urge for 24 hours...

[quote name='Wolfmight']

I'm hoping for some more combo packs under $10.[/QUOTE]

This.

When I see a combo pack it is insanely more tempting to my wallet than a single game :lol:.

I would really love to see a sub $10 quake pack.

Shoot em up

Shemp not Shump, right?

Shmup isn't an acronym. Say "shoot em up" really fast.

[quote name='simpsonps121']But can I continue to hang on? My grip is weakening......[/QUOTE]

You're making the rest of us look bad. Just buy something already. ;)

I was very happy to see Jamestown on the sale page. I'm going on vacation for a few weeks so it will give me time to play it! I had to resist on other good deals like Tropico and Kings Bounty...the backlog is massive right now! Damn you, STEAM!!!

My haul so far. I hosted a few combo packs and someone paid me extra out of the kindness of their heart so I got Borderlands for a bit cheaper.

Penny Arcade Combo Pack $1.80
Lead & Gold $1.13
Oblivion GOTY $8.50
Borderlands GOTY $5.23
Bioshock $4.99
Bioshock 2 $3.75
Torchlight $2.99
Defense Grid $2.49
DG Map Pack $0.94
Flight Control HD $1.25
Trine $1.99
Fallout NV: Dead Money $2.99
Fallout NV: Honest Hearts $2.99
Deus Ex GOTY $2.49
Deus Ex: Invisible War $2.49
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky $2.49
Killing Floor Characters $1.47

Total Spent $49.98

Still looking to get Garry's Mod, Time Gentlemen, Fallout 1 & 2, Fallout 3, and Terraria.

[quote name='simpsonps121']Knock on wood, but so far I have only bought 1 game.
My logic - Until I get through part of my backlog, why should I spend more money?
I still have 10 games from the last sale I have not beat...
This has saved me from:
DA:U
Mount and Blade
Kings Bounty

But can I continue to hang on? My grip is weakening......[/QUOTE]
You did well to avoid DA:U before it goes to the inevitable $4.99-$6.80 sale price in the future. Hold on there, we all get through this together :-({|=\\:D/lol

new_robot.gif
I've avoided some pretty intense impulse sales too like Defense Grid for $2.49 something.
new_robot.gif

sucks I'll often end up regretting 1 or 2 skipped sales too. However, I recovered on the skipped sale for Bully awhile back and now got it again even cheaper for the wait. Boy, was it worth it. That game is better than I expected from what I was reading. The controls aren't hard to learn either.

[quote name='paulcalypse']My haul so far. I hosted a few combo packs and someone paid me extra out of the kindness of their heart so I got Borderlands for a bit cheaper.

Penny Arcade Combo Pack $1.80
Lead & Gold $1.13
Oblivion GOTY $8.50
Borderlands GOTY $5.23
Bioshock $4.99
Bioshock 2 $3.75
Torchlight $2.99
Defense Grid $2.49
DG Map Pack $0.94
Flight Control HD $1.25
Trine $1.99
Fallout NV: Dead Money $2.99
Fallout NV: Honest Hearts $2.99
Deus Ex GOTY $2.49
Deus Ex: Invisible War $2.49
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky $2.49
Killing Floor Characters $1.47

Total Spent $49.98

Still looking to get Garry's Mod, Time Gentlemen, Fallout 1 & 2, Fallout 3, and Terraria.[/QUOTE]

Lead and Gold is AWESOME. Definitely play it. I'm on a roll with the achievements.

Also just busted out Trine yesterday for the first time and it's way better than expected too. Really intense puzzle physics.

For Dues Ex, be sure to apply these to bring NEW LIFE to the graphics with HD textures and modern resolutions, etc: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1235278

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Wolfmight']You did well to avoid DA:U before it goes to the inevitable $4.99-$6.80 sale price in the future. Hold on there, we all get through this together :-({|=\\:D/lol[/QUOTE]
Give it about a year or so and it will get there. Maybe even the Winter Sale.

I broke the one rule of the steam sale and bought terraria on tuesday. Jesus christ this game is addicting. Spent 9 hours straight digging with my buddy on tuesday alone.

Co-op and simplified crafting makes it infinitely more appealing to me than minecraft, even though it's so similar of a game.

Do yourself a favor and pick this if it goes on further sale or not if you have any interest at all. And if you want someone to play with PM me and we'll do some diggin'.

Now that I said something, I bet I will buy a ton today.... Always seems to work that way.

Dragon Age was my favorite game last year. So adding all 9 DL and the Awakenings was a MASSIVE pull....

(If I really wanted to avoid buying, I would not be checking at 1:01 to see what is up...hehe)

Now that I said something, I bet I will buy a ton today.... Always seems to work that way.

Dragon Age was my favorite game last year. So adding all 9 DL and the Awakenings was a MASSIVE pull....

(If I really wanted to avoid buying, I would not be checking at 1:01 to see what is up...hehe)

At this point I got everything I was looking for except bulletstorm, if by chance it hits a daily for $15 or less, the sale was a success for me but not my wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back