Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the C&C 3 Red Alert expansion worth it? I have Red Alert 3, and loved it. But I love the campy story -and the crazy battles.

CC4 I know stinks.... but I think I can pick that up at retail for $4 or so.

I would have been interested in picking up SF IV for the Koryu mod alone, but $14.99 as the sale price for vanilla is laughable. Not sure how they expect people to pay that much for an obsolete game.

[quote name='fyrflash1969']First off, there are some dirt cheap games, I really do not think Steam is a company out to rip off PC users. [/quote]

This statement is a fallacy. Just because there are some dirt cheap games now, doesn't mean there will be as many dirt cheap games next summer. Keep in mind that prices are about 10% higher overall than they were during the last major Steam sale. Just look at how Wal-Mart conducts business.

Second, Steam cannot charge whatever they want for a game.. they still need to pay the publishers.

Because publishers will balk at Steam charging more money for games? Right.

Looks like it will be Rift for me today. My wife and I want to try it out, and we *almost* bit on a deal they emailed me yesterday, $5 for the game. But then I noticed the free month wasn't included so it would have cost the two of us $40 to try it for a month. This deal cuts that price in half.

[quote name='TLPRIME']Hmmm...Sale says Risen $7.49 daily deal....but in the store page and in the cart it says $10 and change.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was going to buy Risen at that $7.49 price, then it shows up for $10+ when I click on it. Hopefully it gets fixed today.

[quote name='scarhawk']Doesn't Sanctum look like a glorified Half Life 2 DM mod to everyone?[/QUOTE]

Have they made many fps tower defense Half-Life 2 DM mods before? Because to me it looks like a fps tower defense Unreal Engine game.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']This is what happens when you get a monopoly. Put everyone else out of business and then jack up your own prices. It'll be worse next year.[/QUOTE]Get yourself a dictionary and look up what "monopoly" means (hint: it's not a game) and then smack yourself with the book for being clueless.

* Origin (EA)
* Direct2Drive
* Good Old Games
* Impulse (now Gamestop)
* Amazon
* Green Man Gaming
* Get Games

Those are just off the top of my head. Seems to me that Steam is doing a worse job of putting the competition out of business than getting Half-Life 2: Episode 3 done.

Grabbed CS: Complete and Garry's Mod since I don't have (never played actually) CS, except a few games here and there. It's the game I've been waiting on for a while now...

[quote name='Therapy']I've delved deeper into the whole PhysX thing on certain Nvidia cards that is required to run Batman: AA in it's full glory as it's supposed to be.

I share most of this topic's posters that, if Nvidia wasn's such a crappy and greedy company, any ATI card would be able to show the same effects. What Nvidia did (obviously with the game developers sharing the blame) is break out some nice game elements if the system detects a non-Nvidia (physX-enabled) video card.

Then they advertised their cards as if they're something entirely new and special, and hence ask alot of money for something that's really just a gimmick.

As a CAG, I do not approve of these shady tactics. Shame on you, Nvidia. And also you Rocksteady Studios. I'm glad I didn't buy your game.
[/QUOTE]

How dare nvidia incorporate a technology that gives their cards an edge. It's almost like they're trying to entice people to buy THEIR video cards over the competitor's! Shocking.

If anyone is hosting 4-pack of Sanctum I would love to get in on it. If it is in a 4-pack thread it would also be cool to get a link there because I have no idea where that is.

[quote name='simpsonps121']Is the C&C 3 Red Alert expansion worth it? I have Red Alert 3, and loved it. But I love the campy story -and the crazy battles.

CC4 I know stinks.... but I think I can pick that up at retail for $4 or so.[/QUOTE]

Uprising is just as camp/crazy as Red Alert 3, and probably even more so. The Commander's Challenge is a very nice and length campaign on its own -- 4 bucks is worth it.

Hell, its worth 4 bucks to get more Tim Curry and to have Ric Flair condescend you.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Get yourself a dictionary and look up what "monopoly" means (hint: it's not a game) and then smack yourself with the book for being clueless.

* Origin (EA)
* Direct2Drive
* Good Old Games
* Impulse (now Gamestop)
* Amazon
* Green Man Gaming
* Get Games

Those are just off the top of my head. Seems to me that Steam is doing a worse job of putting the competition out of business than getting Half-Life 2: Episode 3 done.[/QUOTE]

Really? Because there were multiple people posting in this thread about double dipping just so they can have their games on the Steam platform.

Your reasoning suggests that Microsoft wasn't liable to anti-trust lawsuit back in the day because people had the option of using Linux and Apple. However just not how it works. Or that Ma Bell (AT&T) shouldn't have been broken up because there were smaller local companies that could compete.

Think of all the shit EA ate when Steam was the one who decided they weren't going to put EA games up for sale. That's how it starts.

[quote name='Slappybob']Ok these sales are bankrupting me!

Does anyone know if they have already done Plants Vs Zombies ?[/QUOTE]

Yes. It was $3.xx a few days ago.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']This statement is a fallacy. Just because there are some dirt cheap games now, doesn't mean there will be as many dirt cheap games next summer. Keep in mind that prices are about 10% higher overall than they were during the last major Steam sale. Just look at how Wal-Mart conducts business.

Because publishers will balk at Steam charging more money for games? Right.[/QUOTE]

What games now are 10% higher than the last major sale? Sure some might be, but I have seen many more that are less than they have ever been before. CoD4, Audiosurf, Batman, all come to mind off the top of my head.

Also, do you know anything about economics? If I market my game at 10 dollars, some people won't want to spend that much and buy it. If I market my game at 7 dollars, more people would be willing to buy it and I could make more money than I would selling it at $10.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']Really? Because there were multiple people posting in this thread about double dipping just so they can have their games on the Steam platform.[/QUOTE]

People own the games on the consoles and are double dipping on the PC. I've known people that have down that with Plants Vs Zombies on their cell phones so does that mean those carriers are a monopoly like Steam?

[quote name='Ansé Solis']This statement is a fallacy. Just because there are some dirt cheap games now, doesn't mean there will be as many dirt cheap games next summer. Keep in mind that prices are about 10% higher overall than they were during the last major Steam sale. Just look at how Wal-Mart conducts business.

Because publishers will balk at Steam charging more money for games? Right.[/QUOTE]

I hate it when I have to break it down..

First off, Steam has a history of being great to PC customers. They added a free copy of Portal 2 to the PS3 version, they always refund customers when things go wrong, and they have these sales, even though they do not have to. I am not picturing steam becoming a bunch of money whores next year just because you are paranoid.

and when I say Steam cannot charge what they want for a game, a game like Dead Rising on todays sale... if the publisher wanted 5$ a copy from steam, then steam would charge probably around 7-8 per copy on the sale.. but if the publisher demands 18$ a copy, do you expect Steam to sell it at 8$ a copy? Steam can have its sales and minimize their profits, but they are not going to sell at a loss. Steam does not have full control over what they price stuff,so quit being an idiot.

[quote name='Therapy']I've delved deeper into the whole PhysX thing on certain Nvidia cards that is required to run Batman: AA in it's full glory as it's supposed to be.

I share most of this topic's posters that, if Nvidia wasn's such a crappy and greedy company, any ATI card would be able to show the same effects. What Nvidia did (obviously with the game developers sharing the blame) is break out some nice game elements if the system detects a non-Nvidia (physX-enabled) video card.

Then they advertised their cards as if they're something entirely new and special, and hence ask alot of money for something that's really just a gimmick.

As a CAG, I do not approve of these shady tactics. Shame on you, Nvidia. And also you Rocksteady Studios. I'm glad I didn't buy your game.
[/QUOTE]

physx doesn't add a heck of a lot to AA. I turned it off because it wasn't even worth the few frames i was losing over it.

I saw the FO New Vegas sale the other day... forgot to check if DLC was also on sale (already have FONV). Did anyone see it or get it?

[edit] nevermind, I'm an idiot, it's on the first post.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ansé Solis']Really? Because there were multiple people posting in this thread about double dipping just so they can have their games on the Steam platform.

Your reasoning suggests that Microsoft wasn't liable to anti-trust lawsuit back in the day because people had the option of using Linux and Apple. However just not how it works. Or that Ma Bell (AT&T) shouldn't have been broken up because there were smaller local companies that could compete.

Think of all the shit EA ate when Steam was the one who decided they weren't going to put EA games up for sale. That's how it starts.[/QUOTE]

Steam has had EA games on their sale.. I have no idea what you are talking about. The Sims sale has been there from day 1. Wake up.

[quote name='lito88']Is Jamestown better with a controller?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and not just because a gamepad feels better for some versus the mouse. There is a known issue with mouse control in-game for those with high-end mice where the response is sluggish compared to a gamepad or keyboard control. The devs are aware of this and are trying to fix the issue:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1923115

Having said that, the game controls wonderfully with a gamepad. I have an old Logitech Rumblepad 2 and I've done just fine with it. Binding your buttons is easy, and you can control the cursor in the menus with the control pad, too.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1923375

I know I'm posting this really late, but the game is still on sale below the usual price and so worth buying. I grew to dislike so many bullet hell Japanese indie games because they catered only to hardcore fans. This game is different in that it has a better learning curve, difficulties are gradually challenging, and your ship has a teeny, tiny hit box (play the tutorial to see what I mean). Finally, the soundtrack had better earn some damn award this year because it is simply stunning. Someone on the game's Steam forum has ripped the soundtrack from the game, but the devs are working on an official OST with extra tracks, etc.

If you like shooters like Mars Matrix and old Cave shooters you will love this game. Hell, if you like vertical scrollers in general you will certainly love this game. I actually hope this gets ported to WiiWare, XboxLive, and the PSN since it deserves more attention.

[quote name='tony72']I saw the FO New Vegas sale the other day... forgot to check if DLC was also on sale (already have FONV). Did anyone see it or get it?[/QUOTE]

Yes the DLC was also marked down to $2.99 each.

Tony72 the dlc for new vegas was $2.50 a pop. Also a pass on Risen for only 66% off. Gonna try out the sanctum demo and that might be the only thing I get today.

It would be nice if the Quake collection was complete. Might as well call it the Quake Classic Collection since Quake IV and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars are absent.

[quote name='Terlan']Tony72 the dlc for new vegas was $2.50 a pop. Also a pass on Risen for only 66% off. Gonna try out the sanctum demo and that might be the only thing I get today.[/QUOTE]

Thx, after posting I noticed it was on post #1.

BTW, is this thread working slow for anyone? I made quick posts and it just sat there not doing anything.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']This is what happens when you get a monopoly. Put everyone else out of business and then jack up your own prices. It'll be worse next year.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about. Steam prices were much cheaper, and better games were on sale when they actually had a monopoly. Now that Amazon has began offering game downloads, as well as EA's Origin, Direct2Drive, etc, it's getting harder for Steam to secure digital distribution deals, and exclusive discounts with publishers. EA isn't going to want to sell their games for super cheap through a 3rd party distributer when they can sell it themselves through Origin....

[quote name='Magsec']It would be nice if the Quake collection was complete. Might as well call it the Quake Classic Collection since Quake IV and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars are absent.[/QUOTE]

Those weren't made by id.

To all TRUE CAGS. If you are buying Company of Heroes bundle, save yourself 2 cents by buying them separately! $12.49 for all 3. $12.47 separate.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']Really? Because there were multiple people posting in this thread about double dipping just so they can have their games on the Steam platform.

Think of all the shit EA ate when Steam was the one who decided they weren't going to put EA games up for sale. That's how it starts.[/QUOTE]What does any of this have to do with your shrill, paranoid, hysterical rantings about how the lack of a sale that suits your tastes means Steam is driving anyone out of business? What does people choosing to rebuy on Steam have to do with anything?

I rebought Company of Heroes in Gold form from D2D a couple of years ago because it was $5 and to patch my retail 1.0 copy required downloading SEVENTEEN (17!) PATCHES weighing around 4 GB and I wasn't even planning on playing online. The D2D version had all but the last few small ones baked in. I rebought for the convenience. I rebought Freedom Force on Steam cuz it came with Third Reich for cheap and it would run on my PC without a hassle. Who are you to deduce malevolent intent from Steam because people double-dip? Did you have a bowl of Crazy Flakes for breakfast?

Haven't you seen all the posts about deals on games that activate on Steam? People shop at Steam's competitors for cheap keys and then tie them to their accounts and make Steam pay for the bandwidth to cover the downloads on games they didn't collect a penny on the sale. What if the lackluster sales were due to people ganking Steam by buying from the competition you erroneously believe is being crushed by an imaginary monopoly.

You've got a stick up your bum over something about Steam. What is it really?

[quote name='fyrflash1969']I hate it when I have to break it down..

First off, Steam has a history of being great to PC customers. They added a free copy of Portal 2 to the PS3 version, they always refund customers when things go wrong, and they have these sales, even though they do not have to. I am not picturing steam becoming a bunch of money whores next year just because you are paranoid.

and when I say Steam cannot charge what they want for a game, a game like Dead Rising on todays sale... if the publisher wanted 5$ a copy from steam, then steam would charge probably around 7-8 per copy on the sale.. but if the publisher demands 18$ a copy, do you expect Steam to sell it at 8$ a copy? Steam can have its sales and minimize their profits, but they are not going to sell at a loss. Steam does not have full control over what they price stuff,so quit being an idiot.[/QUOTE]

honestly it's not even worth trying to explain to this guy.

he's complaining about a company that sells games starting at under a dollar,gives a ton of free content, and has huge sales 365 days a year being too expensive.

he's not gonna 'get it'.. do yourself a favor and move on.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']Really? Because there were multiple people posting in this thread about double dipping just so they can have their games on the Steam platform.[/QUOTE]

Achievements, cloud saves, SteamPlay, leaderboards, auto-updates, VAC servers, community features, and so on and so forth.

I'm not saying that double-dipping just to own the Steam version isn't silly but I can see why people do it. Just the auto-updates and cloud saves alone are worth it to me and especially when you are talking about spending $5-$10 for a digital copy of a game which you spent $50 on at retail.

And holy shit has Capcom completely lost it this gen: Baffling DRM, cash-in after cash-in release, terrible digital sales prices, and bye-bye Inafune.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']This is what happens when you get a monopoly. Put everyone else out of business and then jack up your own prices. It'll be worse next year.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you're talking about. Steam is the biggest kid on the block, but there are more and better DD sites now than ever.

Microsoft has given up, and Impulse never really got started, but EA and Ubisoft both now have stores with strong sales, Direct2Drive is still chugging along with notable sales like ME2 for $5 and Fallout GOTY for $10 (albeit under new ownership), and scrappy upstarts GamersGate and GOG are making great strides.

Steam is the innovator and the market leader. But they are far from the only game in town.

I think that a lot of the frustration people are feeling about the prices they're seeing during the summer sale is because the other DD services have gotten their act together and they were getting similar/better pricing out ahead of Steam's sale, to try to get a bigger slice of the pie. When you see Batman for $6 at GamersGate, $7.50 at Steam a week later sounds like premium pricing.

It's generally understood* that the Publishers set the prices on the DD sites, not Steam. That's why games go on sales in waves - you see the same games within a few weeks of each other on various DD sites and at stores. I'm not so naive to think that Valve doesn't help set the online prices. But they are swimming in a small ocean with really really big sharks.

*I'm at work and can't cite references to this. :) But I have read this several times in developer interviews. If you want to dispute it, that's fine, I can't make an effort to back up my statement right now. But maybe you've read it too and just forgot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back