Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Capcom really dropped the ball today, do they really think their costumers are that stupid? SFIV is an obsolete game now that both Super and Arcade Edition are out, it should be like $5, and Dead Rising 2 isn't a brand new game either, i would expect it to be around $10 if they were seriously thinking about selling some copies of these games.

Glad to see Tidalis as one of the summer ticket games. Too bad the discount isn't very deep for new players. Well worth the $5 IMO. I have sunk over 25 hours into it since I got it in one of the indie packs. If it is in your games list and you haven't played it yet... give it a shot. It is actually quite addicting.

I haven't played a ton of matching color puzzle games, but this is a brand new take on it and I was pleasantly surprised. You need a quick mouse hand ;)

Already got the Quake pack when it was $10, and I kinda wish I waited. Other than that, nothing interesting for me today.

I must've bought all my "on the fence" games during the winter sale because I've only bought one or two items so far during this sale. Pretty sure I know what sales I'm looking for now.

The only good thing to come out of today's sale is Lifeguard Chun Li.

You guy's shouldn't complain about the Risen price, that game is gaaaaarbage :lol:

I've never understood how combining Games for Windows Marketplace into Xbox.com was giving up on Microsofts part... Its not like it is going away it is just moving just like EADM to Origin for EA.

A tip for people thinking of buying Sanctum. It has really high system requirements.

Quad core is recommended, Dual core is required. I've bought it, played it, finished it, and I can attest that it's a resource hog - at some points, there may be over 100 enemies on screen at the same time, all animated, with particle effects everywhere. There's a thread about this in the Steam forums. It's the piggiest Tower Defense game I've ever seen.

I'm not overly fond of it; the Metacritic review of 69 is about right. It's entertaining for about 5 hours, and then it's over, and you gladly uninstall it without a second thought. $4 is a fine price for this game.

I think I'd like to get one of the Lara Croft games, especially since they support a controller.

The only Lara game I've played is Guardian of Light. I'd only like to get one Tomb Raider game from this sale. I'm thinking the decision is between Anniversary or Legend? Underworld doesn't look great to me. Not digging underwater mechanics.

[quote name='VexxedCS']The only good thing to come out of today's sale is Lifeguard Chun Li.[/QUOTE]
^^ This. It's the only thing I DL'd from steam today lol

SFIV and Dead Rising 2 on "sale" = Fart in your general direction

[quote name='Kaltic']I've never understood how combining Games for Windows Marketplace into Xbox.com was giving up on Microsofts part... Its not like it is going away it is just moving just like EADM to Origin for EA.[/QUOTE]

I was the one who said "giving up". Microsoft abandoned all pretense of support for Windows gaming when the Xbox 1 appeared. I think Age of Empires 3 might be the last great PC game from Microsoft.

Their Game for Windows Marketplace store is a sick joke. Never a good sale; extremely limited selection.

Their bread is buttered by Xbox licensing and distribution fees. They're not actively sabotaging PC gaming, but they sure aren't doing anything to encourage it.

Even that $0.10 sale for Age of Empire 3 about 6 months ago on GFWM now feels like a cynical attempt to bribe PC gamers to sign up for an Xbox Live account. (For the record, they got me!) There were never any followup sales worth a darn. No expansion of catalog.

[quote name='wakawakawa']Probably gonna grab Cities XL.

Does Cities XL have scenarios outside of the tutorial or is it all sandbox??[/QUOTE]

Not positive (too lazy to check) but if I recall, outside the tutorials its 99% sandbox, which is why the reviews fried it so bad. "it looks good, plays good.... and then you realize theres no point". Which is funny if you consider that most of the simcity games never had much point or that many scenarios either, but for some reason they come down real hard on cities xl 2011 for that flaw. Thats the reason I'm still on the fence about the whole thing.

FYI: While Counter-Strike: Source is on sale, the original Counter-Strike (1.6) is also on sale for $2.50, though you will have to search for it.

I wasn't going to get anything but I love the old school tomb raider series and this looks to be a good upgrade so I got tomb raider anniversary for 2.49. Too cheap to pass up on.

Aw, Risen, uh, rose up in sale price (*rimshot, tomatoes thrown at me*)...

Okay, that was certainly a mistake on Valve's part, but that's still a great price for the game. I picked it up for $15 during the holidays on Steam and got my money's worth so far. From what I've read, if you liked or loved Gothic 1 or 2, you'll enjoy Risen (the core team behind those games worked on Risen).

The game is not easy, but I found that if you're patient and take your time you'll be fine. Just get used to double-tapping the WASD keys to dodge in and out and kind of circle-strafe enemies in the beginning and you'll be okay. Skills are earned from trainers, not necessarily from leveling up, but you'll find someone who will teach you skills fairly early on in the game. I haven't finished the game yet, but I do remember that enemies don't scale to your level like in Oblivion (which is good for me because I don't like when enemies scale to your character).

The game is quite beautiful in my opinion, with lots of varied landscapes, enemies and building structures. There is a lot to do in the game, including ore mining, plant gathering, and even roasting meats you earn.

I need to go back and play the game more. I can't wait to earn more skills and power to take down a few pesky moth creatures that bullied me early on ;)

[quote name='utopianmachine']I think I'd like to get one of the Lara Croft games, especially since they support a controller.

The only Lara game I've played is Guardian of Light. I'd only like to get one Tomb Raider game from this sale. I'm thinking the decision is between Anniversary or Legend? Underworld doesn't look great to me. Not digging underwater mechanics.[/QUOTE]

Not having played Legend i'm not sure i'm allowed to cast my vote one way or the other, but for what it's worth Legend is a newer game whereas Anniversary is a shiny HD remake of the very original Tomb Raider. It's good stuff and about as classic as the series can get, from what I've played.

(Note the only reason I even mention Legend being a later game is due to possible concern of it being stagnant. I'm not sure about the way later Tomb Raiders, but i know about after 2 the series was starting to go bad.)

Alright time to critique today's deals.

Deadrising isn't new enough to be $19.99 so skip that right off the bat unless your hardcore about it

Cities XL is alright, but $7.99 price isn't when it's cheaper elsewhere

Street Fighter IV for $14.99 - wtf? It was $10 in last summer's sale and should be lower now with the 2 new editions lmao. SKIP! Super is better anyways.

Lara Croft GOL - Woah woah woah look at all these tomb raider games for cheapo. http://store.steampowered.com/sale/TombRaider_Summer2011 I've only played the classics and I got GOL for a little more in a previous sale. It's alright, but nothing too crazy honestly. $3.74 is a good price now. Anything higher would only be fair or alright. The more traditional Tomb Raider games are where it's at. GOL feels like a non-rpg version of Diablo cave hunter with linear gameplay and some upgrades.

AudioSurf - $1.49. I got it for $0.99 in a pack and honestly I admit Beat Hazard is WAAAAAAAAAY better. Haven't played it for over half a year now and they mighta improved it a lot, but I still recommend Beat Hazard. $1.49 is still not a devistating loss if you have a lot of music and want to try this anyways. It's alright.

Quake 1 for $2.49 .... lol.... not $0.99? , hell better just get the pack for $7.49 for tons more game value for your dollar. These are a bit dated, but it's good classic FPS and Quake is worthy of your collection for $7.49. I know it doesn't have those 2 latest Quake IV games but you can EASILY get those for less than $5 also and call it a 10-12 pack for the whole set. I got Quake IV brand new still wrapped in the box for $5 a few years ago so it definitely should be $5 or less new in more places now. Hot deal. For FPS lovers, I'm gonna call this a good essential pack. Especially if your not getting anything else today and need to add something.

CounterStrike Source - $4.99. haha, that's real funny steam. Though Gmod is also 75% off at $2.49. Good essential game there. Source for $4.99 is high actually compared to just getting the Valve pack in those sweet times when it's even lower than the low special rate during these sales lol. Who doesn't have this ? It came free with my HL2 awhile back.

Not sure about Company of Heros but those are some cheap prices. Hmmm

I'm a bit sad that indie games aren't getting a bigger set of daily deals, but there's been at least one or two every day, so I guess I can't complain too much. Still, I was hoping for more indie pack goodness ala Thanksgiving/Winter last year. Those were insane.

Sadly, nothing for me today. Hoping that we see Terraria, Delve Deeper and Fate of the World on sale in the next 3 days.

Hmm, might be grabbing GoL today. Wanted to get it on PSN, but I don't see their prices getting anywhere near $3.75. Has anyone played the PC version with a DualShock?

[quote name='utopianmachine']Ah, screw it. Bought Tomb Raider Anniversary. $2.49 for my first Lara Croft experience sounds just right. (Guardians of Light doesn't count).[/QUOTE]
Guardian's of Light does indeed not count.

Good deal. I started with the PS1's Tomb Raider 2 long time ago actually and that was even impressive back in the day.

[quote name='Wolfmight']AudioSurf - $1.49. I got it for $0.99 in a pack and honestly I admit Beat Hazard is WAAAAAAAAAY better. Haven't played it for over half a year now and they mighta improved it a lot, but I still recommend Beat Hazard. $1.49 is still not a devistating loss if you have a lot of music and want to try this anyways. It's alright.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, I got it in the same pack, and my reaction was the complete opposite. I love AudioSurf, and am still trying to figure out why people rave over Beat Hazard.

I'd highly recommend AudioSurf at $1.49 - it's a great game. Can either be as chill or as frantic as you want it to be.

Got in for jamestown before yesterday's sale ended. Is the original post going to updated with the lists for each day of the sale? It's helpful for tracking if I've missed the daily deal for a game I'm waiting on.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I think I'd like to get one of the Lara Croft games, especially since they support a controller.

The only Lara game I've played is Guardian of Light. I'd only like to get one Tomb Raider game from this sale. I'm thinking the decision is between Anniversary or Legend? Underworld doesn't look great to me. Not digging underwater mechanics.[/QUOTE]

If you are going to get only one, then go for Anniversary. The gameplay mechanics are very similar to Legend and Underworld, but I believe it just plays better. It also helps that all levels are improved versions from those on the original game.

I own both Beat Hazard and Audiosurf.

I can't really say which game is better because they are both different games. I like both equally.

Also I just realized I spent $25 on the Tomb Raider triple pack for PS3 when I could of saved $10 on Steam, fuck. Oh well, I bought Tomb Raider a month ago so no harm done.

[quote name='INCyr']I'm a bit sad that indie games aren't getting a bigger set of daily deals, but there's been at least one or two every day, so I guess I can't complain too much. [/QUOTE]

I too was hoping for more indie game love. There's so many great games that haven't gotten highlighted. Still, nearly all the games I wanted got at least a 50% discount, so I'll likely pick up some indie games I want on the final day of the sale.

I picked up counter-strike:s ource + gary's mod, lara croft GOL, and tomb raider anniversary.

I was going to pick up the DLC packs for lara croft GOL but I have such a backlog I doubt I will get to them. It bothered me that they doubled the cost of the game. I was hoping to see a "complete edition" with a nice discount.

Yes, friends, grab Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light at this price. I think it's a wonderful game, filled with platforming, puzzles, challenges and of course, combat. Don't let the fact that it's shown in an overhead, isometric point of view turn you off. If anything, it allows the game to present puzzles and challenges to you in ways the original Tomb Raider games don't.

Hell, if this game were an Indiana Jones action game I'm sure people wouldn't balk for one second to buy it. The fact that it's Tomb Raider turns people off which is really a shame; it's one of the best action adventure games I've purchased in a long time.

There's a demo available, so give it a go if you're unsure about purchasing it. I liked using a gamepad to play, which is what I think (personally) the game is suited better for. I personally hope this sale pushes them to make more DLC or a sequel. There are really too few games like this available anywhere in my opinion.

[quote name='plutoknight']Tomb Raider Anniversary for 2.49?

Grr...I'd need a gamepad. Hell I need a gamepad anyway. .....[/QUOTE]

So, PC gaming type people, what kind of gamepad (hopefully wireless) works well with all those steam games?

[quote name='eldad9']So, PC gaming type people, what kind of gamepad (hopefully wirelesS) works well with all those steam games?[/QUOTE]

360 controller. I'm sure someone has already said this before I could hit submit. If no one has I retract that last statement.

[quote name='eldad9']So, PC gaming type people, what kind of gamepad (hopefully wirelesS) works well with all those steam games?[/QUOTE]

Wired Xbox 360 controller is the most recommended. You can hack a PS3 controller but I found a wired Xbox controller just works better.

The Xbox 360 controller is your best bet. It's wireless, ergonomic, and, in some cases, is so compatible with games that the on-screen prompts switch to 360 button icons in real-time. (Batman: Arkham Asylum, Dead Rising 2, and Dark Void are great examples of this.)

Definitely, the 360 controller gets my highest recommendation.

EDIT: Hahaha, third recommendation in a row. I also want to add that official drivers make hardware a lot easier to handle in the Windows world. Therefore, the 360 controller is definitely more preferable to a PS3 controller with unofficial drivers. (Otherwise, I'd say the PS3 controller would be a good second best.)

The 360 controller is kinda the standard for Steam PC gaming. Me, I use a wireless adapter and use the same controller I use for my 360 console.

I have found my wireless xbox 360 controller for Windows works great. :D

Depends if you like the PS3's style of controller or the 360's style. If you like PS3 then

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Gamepad-Support-Vibration/dp/B0041RR0TW/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Or if you like the 360's you can buy a 360 controller and it should work. I don't know if they still sell that wireless adapter but a hard wired controller should work.

Most any controllers work fine I imagine. You're pretty much set if you have a wired Xbox 360 controller -- just plug and play. I also own a Horipad EX2 Turbo (wired) and an old Logitech Rumblepad 2, the former an Xbox 360 controller and the latter a wireless PC controller.

If you have a wireless Xbox 360 controller you'll have to search for an official wireless adapter to use it on your PC. The USB Play and Charge kits are *NOT* the same thing as a USB adapter; those just charge the pads and do not offer actual connectivity. Since the wireless adapters are out of print now you'll have to go through Amazon or eBay to buy one, usually a 3rd party one. I picked up the one below for about $14 shipped, so hopefully after installing it with the drivers it'll work. I borrowed an official one years ago and it worked fine for me then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-PC-Laptop-W...Accessories&hash=item27bad55b8e#ht_2037wt_911

Hope that helps!

Looking for opinions on Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light DLC Challenge Packs and Red Alert 3 Uprising's Commander's Challenge mode if anyone has any :)

[quote name='eldad9']So, PC gaming type people, what kind of gamepad (hopefully wireless) works well with all those steam games?[/QUOTE]

I have a Logitech Dual Action that works with just about everything. It's wired but you can find them pretty much everywhere for cheap.

BTW the only reason I specified wired is that some people are concerned about lag (though that was never an issue for me).

I had some issues with the drivers on my Windows 7 64bit but that be because I ordered it from Hong Kong.

Basically, any 360 controller will work but if you buy it from Hong Kong it might not work.

[quote name='INCyr']Hahaha, I got it in the same pack, and my reaction was the complete opposite. I love AudioSurf, and am still trying to figure out why people rave over Beat Hazard.

I'd highly recommend AudioSurf at $1.49 - it's a great game. Can either be as chill or as frantic as you want it to be.[/QUOTE]
In that case it sounds like it's a game people just gotta try to see if it's alright or fantastic hehe. Either way it's not bad, that's for sure. Perhaps I can give it another try soon

[quote name='eldad9']So, PC gaming type people, what kind of gamepad (hopefully wireless) works well with all those steam games?[/QUOTE]

Wired Xbox 360 pad is the best option for a PC gamepad. I love mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back