Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright I'm thinking about finally diving into the command & conquer games. Never played one before. I'm still fairly new to RTS games. I have only played Company of Heroes and World in Conflict and enjoy them. I was thinking about C&C 3 Tiberium Wars and C&C Red Alert 3. Total of $10. Does this sound good?

man I wish I could transfer games from another account. I have half life, counterstrike, and a few others from when 1.6 came out and you needed steam.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Depends if you like the PS3's style of controller or the 360's style. If you like PS3 then

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Gamepad-Support-Vibration/dp/B0041RR0TW/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Or if you like the 360's you can buy a 360 controller and it should work. I don't know if they still sell that wireless adapter but a hard wired controller should work.[/QUOTE]
I believe you can use an actual PS3 controller with a program called MotionJoy, but I haven't tried this myself.

Hmm... I have all 4 of those.
Company of Heroes and World in Conflict are awesome games - C&C is not that quality.

CC3 Red Alert and C&C3 are not purely a RTS. Both games you can win by basically building your strongest unit and sending a ton across the board.

I would just buy 1 of the 2. If you like the other, buy it later. There is no real hurry - these games have been out for a while and will be on sale later.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']I believe you can use an actual PS3 controller with a program called MotionJoy, but I haven't tried this myself.[/QUOTE]

You need MotionJoy and Xpadder and it does work since that is what I use now. I used to use my wired 360 controller, but I wanted a shorter cable so I use my PS3 controller on the PC. It still isn't as good as the 360 controller though since the 360 is literally plug and play.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Yes, friends, grab Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light at this price. I think it's a wonderful game, filled with platforming, puzzles, challenges and of course, combat. Don't let the fact that it's shown in an overhead, isometric point of view turn you off. If anything, it allows the game to present puzzles and challenges to you in ways the original Tomb Raider games don't.

Hell, if this game were an Indiana Jones action game I'm sure people wouldn't balk for one second to buy it. The fact that it's Tomb Raider turns people off which is really a shame; it's one of the best action adventure games I've purchased in a long time.

There's a demo available, so give it a go if you're unsure about purchasing it. I liked using a gamepad to play, which is what I think (personally) the game is suited better for. I personally hope this sale pushes them to make more DLC or a sequel. There are really too few games like this available anywhere in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Have it on ps3, excellent game and it was worth every penny

[quote name='aus_nacht']Wired Xbox 360 controller is the most recommended. You can hack a PS3 controller but I found a wired Xbox controller just works better.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to disagree. The 360 controller works absolutely no better than the ps3 controller does. They both do the exact same thing. You just need to do some work to get the ps3 working and emulated to a 360 controller. There is no other difference.

[quote name='facls']If you are going to get only one, then go for Anniversary. The gameplay mechanics are very similar to Legend and Underworld, but I believe it just plays better. It also helps that all levels are improved versions from those on the original game.[/QUOTE]

Having played all three I would have to disagree. Anniversary is a good game but the levels feel dated, I just didn't have as much fun with that game as I did with Legend.
Maybe because I have no nostalgia factor since I never played the first game. If you want an older style game with spruced up graphics and game play Anniversary is for you.

Legend was the first Tomb Raider to come out this generation and I feel it is still the best one. Its relatively short in length but it is just a tighter game than Anniversary or Underworld.

Underworld is a good game....but not as good as the other two...I don't hate it as much as others, but the controls are not tight. You really do press the jump button and pray the game puts you where you should go sometimes.

But yes, all three are essentially variations on the same game play mechanics. I only find subtle differences in the way Ms. Croft controls. If you like one...you will probably like all three.

[quote name='Kaltic']You need MotionJoy and Xpadder and it does work since that is what I use now. I used to use my wired 360 controller, but I wanted a shorter cable so I use my PS3 controller on the PC. It still isn't as good as the 360 controller though since the 360 is literally plug and play.[/QUOTE]

Also, when I tried to use MotionJoy for my PS3 controller I found
that it always turned on my PS3...even though they are on
different floors of the house.

There might be some way to make that not happen...but I decided
a wired controller for 360 would be good for when the batteries
need recharging.

i've played CnC games since ever (the original red alert was my first real game), and am a big RTS fan, so I think both CnC3 and RA3 are worth the price. they're not like company of heroes at all - the battles are bigger, the game is faster paced, and there's almost no micromanagement. instead of focusing on small-scale tactics, you have to focus on large scale strategy more. i prefer these games to COH, but that's may be just me.

any recommendations for tomb raider for someone who has never played anything (other than guardian of light)?

[quote name='dmdragon']I'm going to disagree. The 360 controller works absolutely no better than the ps3 controller does. They both do the exact same thing. You just need to do some work to get the ps3 working and emulated to a 360 controller. There is no other difference.[/QUOTE]

I think that may be the point. With the PS3 controller, you have to do a bit of messing with it to make things work. (At least I did. Getting my Sixaxis to work in Windows was a real pain in the ass, even with some pretty clear documentation and the software readily available) Meanwhile you just plug in a 360 controller, and BLOOP. CONFIGURED. DONE.

So once they're both running, yeah. There's no operational difference. I think a lot of it is just the sheer ease of using 360 controllers. (Plus as said, an awful lot of games detect it and will flat out prompt you with 360 controls onscreen. Maybe they do the same with the PS3 controller, but if so this is news to me.)

Here I go :)

Company Of Heroes: A no-brainer for RTS fans. Great graphics and extremely fun gameplay. Challenging at some points as well. If you have the cash, buy the pack. Great extra content and missions in there. But you'll have tons of fun with just the original for a mere 1,99 euros as well.

Command & Conquer
: Excellent prices! C&C3, although not as awesome as I hoped, is still really good fun. Kane's Wrath is sligthtly more fun, even. With more units, of course ;) I always play this game on LAN's. Tons of fun. I haven't played Red Alert 3 much yet but I reckon it's also quite fun. C&C 4 is quite a letdown, really. Same graphics as C&C 3 and the whole awesome basbuilding has been ripped out. Though 5 euro's is a nice price if you really want to complete the series, if only for the story.

Cities XL: I've bought it during a daily deal for 10 euros. Have only played the tutorials so far. Looks very nice but it's also quite complicated and to be honest I'm not sure if I have the time to get into it. If you're looking for a fix from SimCity 4 then you can't really go wrong for 8 euros though I reckon. Make suire you have a super graphics card though :p

None of the other games interest me. I like RPG's (or MMO's) like Rift but I hate monthly fees. So no.

Thinking about the Quake pack...I don't know if I'd actually replay the original with those blocky graphics ;)

I've always have had a USB controller handy. I first got one for PSO (well the hacked servers after Sega took the servers down) then for games like Madden/NHL on PC. Right now I have a wired Logitech Dual Action (same shape as DualShock 2) and it works great for $20.

[quote name='MrDarkstorm']How is the Original Counter Strike? Is it still played quite a bit?[/QUOTE]

It's definitely better than CS:S. I used to play so much with friends...had a clan and attempted to play competitively. Loads of fun. I didn't like the changes they made when they went from CS 1.6 to CS:S and my friends stopped playing too so I stopped playing it.

FYI, CS 1.3 still had bunny hopping :D but then it was removed.

[quote name='houdinilogic']has anyone been collecting all of the header images for the sale so far?[/QUOTE]

Do you mean screen shots of the web page each day? As pathetic as it may sound, I have. I figured that I'd post them during the Christmas sale so people could have something to compare that sale to.

BTW I have a question about the X360 controller for PC. Does anyone know if it's possible to connect a wireless controller to the PC with the play&charge kit? I have 4 controllers but they're all wireless :p

Oh and Guardian Of Light (Tomb Raider) looks a bit diablo-ish. Looks kinda fun. Anyone have some opinions on it?

[quote name='Therapy']BTW I have a question about the X360 controller for PC. Does anyone know if it's possible to connect a wireless controller to the PC with the play&charge kit? I have 4 controllers but they're all wireless :p[/QUOTE]

Do you mean so they'll work like a wired controller? If so, the answer is no. I know because I tried it before I broke down and bought a wired controller.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']I believe you can use an actual PS3 controller with a program called MotionJoy, but I haven't tried this myself.[/QUOTE]

MotionJoy works, but it does have a few quirks- sometimes it disconnects the controller. I've found the best thing to do is shut down MotionJoy, then unplug the PS3 controller (for some reason it always turns on my PS3 when the controller disconnects, so you'll have to shut that down too, obviously), then reconnect the controller and restart MotionJoy.

It might be a problem with the game, Dead Space was the only game I've had this trouble with, but I haven't played a whole lot of games doing this either.

The best thing with MotionJoy is it will have the PC recognize it as a 360 controller. I have wireless controllers, but getting them to work with the PC is way more aggravation than I cared to deal with (and I have the MS Wireless dongle thingy too).

[quote name='folkmojo']Having played all three I would have to disagree. Anniversary is a good game but the levels feel dated, I just didn't have as much fun with that game as I did with Legend.
Maybe because I have no nostalgia factor since I never played the first game. If you want an older style game with spruced up graphics and game play Anniversary is for you.

Legend was the first Tomb Raider to come out this generation and I feel it is still the best one. Its relatively short in length but it is just a tighter game than Anniversary or Underworld.

Underworld is a good game....but not as good as the other two...I don't hate it as much as others, but the controls are not tight. You really do press the jump button and pray the game puts you where you should go sometimes.

But yes, all three are essentially variations on the same game play mechanics. I only find subtle differences in the way Ms. Croft controls. If you like one...you will probably like all three.[/QUOTE]

I second this. Legends is a very fun game, and the graphics look better then Ann.
Also, short is good in this regard. No wasted time.

[quote name='Therapy']BTW I have a question about the X360 controller for PC. Does anyone know if it's possible to connect a wireless controller to the PC with the play&charge kit? I have 4 controllers but they're all wireless :p[/QUOTE]

The play & charge cables carry only power, not data, so no.

Anyone think we will see a daily sale on shank? I've noticed its not on sale at all. Was hoping to pick it up on the cheap. Missed it during the winter sale.

[quote name='The End']Do you mean so they'll work like a wired controller? If so, the answer is no. I know because I tried it before I broke down and bought a wired controller.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']The play & charge cables carry only power, not data, so no.[/QUOTE]

That sucks :( thanks for your answers though :)

[quote name='utopianmachine']I too was hoping for more indie game love. There's so many great games that haven't gotten highlighted. Still, nearly all the games I wanted got at least a 50% discount, so I'll likely pick up some indie games I want on the final day of the sale.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. At this point, I'm guessing the Spectromancer DLC and Fate of the World will get my $$. Kinda tempted by Delve Deeper, but if it doesn't go on sale, I might just wait and see when I can pick it up for cheaper in the future. Hoping we see it as a daily deal. Fortunately I haven't found any OTHER games that require my $$ - although I will say I'm loving SpaceChem, and anyone who likes indie puzzle games would be well served to check out the demo.

[quote name='Therapy']BTW I have a question about the X360 controller for PC. Does anyone know if it's possible to connect a wireless controller to the PC with the play&charge kit? I have 4 controllers but they're all wireless :p

Oh and Guardian Of Light (Tomb Raider) looks a bit diablo-ish. Looks kinda fun. Anyone have some opinions on it?[/QUOTE]

Nope, it only charges your controller; there's no data connectivity. You'll have to find an actual wireless adapter (see my post a page back).

GoL isn't Diablo-ish at all, even in combat. It's an isometric-view action platformer, and a damn good one :) Try the demo! :D

Definitely picking up Tomb Raider Anniversary and Company of Heroes base game. Thinking about Sanctum, seems like an awesome concept.

Oh, and which Command & Conquer 3 should I buy? Tiberium Wars? Red Alert 3? Haven't really kept up with them after the first Red Alert or so.

I've only played Tomb Raider Underworld recently, but one of the killers for me in the game was navigating underwater. Ugh, I hated that weird 3D map and the underwater controls. I'm glad folkmojo mentioned the control feel because I was actually wondering if it was me or not! :)

But s/he's right about Underworld in that it's still a good game. It may be that I'm just terrible with water levels in general.

I've only played Tomb Raider Underworld recently, but one of the killers for me in the game was navigating underwater. Ugh, I hated that weird 3D map and the underwater controls. I'm glad folkmojo mentioned the control feel because I was actually wondering if it was me or not! :)

But s/he's right about Underworld in that it's still a good game. It may be that I'm just terrible with water levels in general.

[quote name='lassiterb']Definitely picking up Tomb Raider Anniversary and Company of Heroes base game. Thinking about Sanctum, seems like an awesome concept.

Oh, and which Command & Conquer 3 should I buy? Tiberium Wars? Red Alert 3? Haven't really kept up with them after the first Red Alert or so.[/QUOTE]

kane's wrath is the better game

I'm still hoping for an X3TC deal. I've had a friend recommending this series to me for a while now and since there is some DLC for X3, you'd have to think that the game will go on sale at some point.

[quote name='folkmojo']Having played all three I would have to disagree. Anniversary is a good game but the levels feel dated, I just didn't have as much fun with that game as I did with Legend.

But yes, all three are essentially variations on the same game play mechanics. I only find subtle differences in the way Ms. Croft controls. If you like one...you will probably like all three.[/QUOTE]

I played all three as well. I think Anniversary's levels are more fun. Having played the original one, maybe nostalgia factors in this. Also, I feel that the new style of gameplay used for the first time in Legend was better explored in Anniversary. Underworld was good, but underwhelming. All three are good games though.

I beat guardian of light on ps3. The game is a fantastic co-op game. It's not bad as a single player game but co-op really shines as you'll figure out puzzles that require both of you to do something to solve. There's still plenty of platforming and shooting just from a different point of view. It's more of a variation on tomb raider than a sequel. My favorite parts were always the ends of levels where you had to dodge traps to escape a hallway.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']kane's wrath is the better game[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but Kane's Wrath would require me to buy Tiberium Wars as well, and I was only looking to try the series out on the cheap. Red Alert 3 or Tiberium Wars, which is better?

For anyone that got Sanctum, want to play some co-op? It is a pretty fun game, but I like to try some co-op before work and figured cags would be better than random people.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']Capcom needs to be thrown off Steam.

19.99$ for Dead Rising 2.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's horrible. It was actually LESS in the winter sale. They did a daily "loyalty" sale and if you owned RE5 you got DR2 for $14.99. I was waiting for DR2, myself.

By the way... $19.99 is the RETAIL price at places like Newegg and Walmart.

Street Fighter 4 was $10 during the Thanksgiving sale.

[quote name='Fakinmail123']Anyone think we will see a daily sale on shank? I've noticed its not on sale at all. Was hoping to pick it up on the cheap. Missed it during the winter sale.[/QUOTE]

That's the kind of game I'd like to see on sale too. Take away Capcom's spots. :bomb:

Who are the three women in today's postcard art?

I recognize Lara Croft in the middle. And the woman with stuff in her hair I recognize from the Street Fighter game.

But who's the gal on the left, in the yellow tanktop? She sort of looks like the woman from the box art for Rift, but I don't know what the orange and purple stuff is that she's holding.

[quote name='hal']By the way... $19.99 is the RETAIL price at places like Newegg and Walmart.
[/QUOTE]

I bet after this sale we will see price drops on Capcom games. There is usually some company that always price drops after a sale and I could totally see it being Capcom.

[quote name='Terlan']Gcorlett don't know who she is but she is holding to floaties and a purple valve character.[/QUOTE]

Girl from the Rift cover?

[quote name='gcorlett']Must be. The artwork on her sweats resembles the pattern on her armor.[/QUOTE]

I guess it was the only way they could do it without having her at the pool in a bunch of armor because the other two characters wear almost the same thing as they do in the picture.

Probably the only one in this thread to buy Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light solely for the Kain and Raziel character pack. Man, I want another Legacy of Kain game, but it looks like that's not gonna happen anytime soon...

Downloading the Sanctum demo for another go. I might be interested in a 4-pack if anyone is getting one together or has already gotten it. Please have some + feedback here. Thanks.

EDIT : Sanctum sucks. Not buying it. Terrible tower defense imo.

Second day for me.
I guess I made up for that by getting 2 games yesterday :p GTA 4 Complete and Jamestown.
Usually get 1/day, except of course the last day :|

[quote name='MSI Magus']Audiosurf = poor mans Beat hazard[/QUOTE]

They are two very different games so this statement makes no sense

my haul so far:

oblivion goty deluxe
borderlands goty
bully scholarsjip edition
total: 19.74

tempted to pick up Rift as a wow alt, since it's so cheap. thoughts?

But do you guys think there is any change Morrowind will be a daily deal? I'm excited for Skyrim but and beat Oblivion recently. I have never played played morrowind but i head good things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back