Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
my haul so far:

oblivion goty deluxe
borderlands goty
bully scholarship edition
total: 19.74

tempted to pick up Rift as a wow alt, since it's so cheap. thoughts?

But do you guys think there is any change Morrowind will be a daily deal? I'm excited for Skyrim and beat Oblivion recently. I have never played played morrowind but I hear good things. $15 is a lil steep for such an old game..

[quote name='Slappybob']Ok these sales are bankrupting me!

Does anyone know if they have already done Plants Vs Zombies ?[/QUOTE]

I think like 3-4 days ago yeah

Why does GTA Complete have to be such a big DL >_< Been DL/ing for about 15 hours straight now.
50% for both of them D:
It's not helping I'm getting a crappy speed of

Is the store messed up for anyone else? For me the "Featured Packs" and "publisher catalog" buttons are up in the summer camp banner, and all of the daily deals are glitched and going vertically downwards on the left side.

[quote name='hulk409']Anybody play the DLC for Guardian of Light? Worth it?[/QUOTE]

Map packs are fun but I think the Legacy of Kain pack is just a skin pack and story redone, gameplay is the same.

Really good deals today on Company of Heroes, Lara Croft: GoL and Sanctum. And lol at Capcom.

[quote name='Fakinmail123']Anyone think we will see a daily sale on shank? I've noticed its not on sale at all. Was hoping to pick it up on the cheap. Missed it during the winter sale.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been waiting for that to go on sale too. That and the Deathspank games. They haven't been on sale ONCE.

I'm not really a PC gamer but I want to try out Quake. I never played it. Would it be lame of me just to buy the original Quake since it's $2.49 right now? Or should I go with Quake 2?

Ack, I sort of slipped today.
You'all talked me out of Laura Croft: GoL. (Thanks!)

But I bought the expansion to Red Alert 3. I almost bough C&C4, but I will hold off for now...

[quote name='anarchyburger']

tempted to pick up Rift as a wow alt, since it's so cheap. thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

I bought it. Some of my WoW friends play that when they're bored of playing WoW :lol:

I was hoping it would be a deal on Steam since I've been getting e-mails from the Publisher themselves that they we're selling the game for $4.99 but requires a one month sub for $14.99.

Mediocre day, there is some good stuff but mostly what we have seen before again.

I'm going to bite on Sanctum and possibly Rift
It's too bad Risen's price went up, I would have gotten that at $7.50. LC:GoL and CoH is a great game and well worth the asking price. I'm really disappointed in the capcom pricing. I loved the Quake games 10 years ago but I don't think I would go back to play them now.

I pre-ordered Sanctum for $10 and I played it for maybe 4-5 hours including the demo then got tired of it. I don't know...I just got bored of it.
It should be very fun with friends. It's a really cool concept though...I might have to play more of it at some point.

LC:GoL is a fun little game...tried playing co-op online, but there's no one there.

My friend bought Borderlands and Rift on Monday....past the Borderlands daily deal and before the Rift. I told him to wait, but he didn't listen haha.

[quote name='doh23']They are two very different games so this statement makes no sense[/QUOTE]

It's like saying Killing Floor = L4D2 with worse graphics...except the difference between Beat Hazard and Audiosurf is greater than L4D2/KF.

Honestly, I've played enough of both games to know their syncing with the intensity of the music isn't always that great. However, both are quite enjoyable anyways.

[quote name='Hizaki']
LC:GoL is a fun little game...tried playing co-op online, but there's no one there.
[/QUOTE]

Just to elaborate on this because I see a lot of people saying it was a blast when they played on PS3 or whatever -- the co-op then (and on the console platform) was probably far more active than it is now on the PC. Basically you aren't going to find any co-op games unless you and some friends coordinate it yourself.

[quote name='Mooby']Just to elaborate on this because I see a lot of people saying it was a blast when they played on PS3 or whatever -- the co-op then (and on the console platform) was probably far more active than it is now on the PC. Basically you aren't going to find any co-op games unless you and some friends coordinate it yourself.[/QUOTE]

Or use couch co-op

Missed out on frozen synaps, any chance they'll be back on the last day? If not ill hapily fox someone a 5-6$ steam game in exchange for an extra frozen synaps!

[quote name='CapnO']Is it wise to wait until the last day to cash in tickets?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't seem to matter much as the items don't change. The only thing that may burn you is that I bought some things on sale not realizing that I could have just redeemed tickets for them. In particular the games with DLC like AI War and Guardians of Graxia

Played the demo for Audiosurf. Never played a music game like that, enjoyed the heck out of it. At $1.50 it was an instant purchase for me.

[quote name='Blackout']I'm not really a PC gamer but I want to try out Quake. I never played it. Would it be lame of me just to buy the original Quake since it's $2.49 right now? Or should I go with Quake 2?[/QUOTE]

Quake 2 is a little easier on the eyes. There's a demo for Quake 2 on Steam.

Honestly, if you're a first person shooter fan and can get over the fact that these are old games, $7.49 for the entire pack is a great deal. Q and Q2 both have solid singleplayer games, expansion packs, mods and maps. Q3 was built to be multiplayer but has a competent singleplayer ladder-style game. There's a lot there.

Regarding Laura Croft: Guardian of Light
LC: GOL gets overlooked a lot because people that dislike Tomb Raider games think it's yet another. Tomb Raider fans often balk because it's altogether a different game. Don't be either one of those - check it out for yourself! It's a very fun game, even in singleplayer.

Just CS Source for me today. Great price!

Has anyone had this problem? I had to re-install steam because it would not pop up at all. Now when I try to login it says it's "unable to connect to the steam network". I've taken down all my firewalls, deleted the blob registry that forums suggest, and the dmz is disabled and still cannot connect. It's driving me nuts. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind, fixed it finally.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hal']Quake 2 is a little easier on the eyes. There's a demo for Quake 2 on Steam.

Honestly, if you're a first person shooter fan and can get over the fact that these are old games, $7.49 for the entire pack is a great deal. Q and Q2 both have solid singleplayer games, expansion packs, mods and maps. Q3 was built to be multiplayer but has a competent singleplayer ladder-style game. There's a lot there.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input. I'm just gonna grab the entire pack then.

[quote name='anarchyburger']most likely gonna pick up Rift cause the price is right for me. Downloading the trial to see how well it runs on my laptop first[/QUOTE]

You know RIFT was on sale for $4.99 for about a week before today (not anymore though)?

Honestly, I'll probably just grab the Quake Pack for $7.49 and one of the Tomb Raiders...Anniversy probably.

Any ideas on the Command and Conquer games though? never played em, but I've heard mixed thoughts and that some are way better than others.

yes, i played lara croft:gol (singleplayer) on the 360 and it's a very solid game. twin stick shooter, platformer, lite puzzles, at this price I'd recommend picking it up and I'm even considering double dipping and adding it to my steam library.

[quote name='martyback']You know RIFT was on sale for $4.99 for about a week before today (not anymore though)?[/QUOTE]

Yea but that 4.99 price did not come with the 1 month free subscription. He would have paid 4.99 for the base game and 15 for a subscription. He's paying 9.99 for the game and subscription

[quote name='keroppilee']so if you spend your tickets do you not get entries into the drawing at the end?[/QUOTE]
with everyone entered, your chances of getting something are certainly higher by spending them than entering them - but then there's that smaller chance of hitting it big as well. Personally with my luck at contests, I'd just spend em for something immediate instead to guarantee reward from them.

Spending tickets do not decrease your entries into the sweepstakes.

Also, for those that are getting Quake for the multiplayer, look up google Quake Live. It's free and isn't full of people that will murder you immediately.

[quote name='keroppilee']so if you spend your tickets do you not get entries into the drawing at the end?[/QUOTE]

Your total tickets are the number of entries you get into the drawing, no matter how many you spend.

[quote name='Mooby']Just to elaborate on this because I see a lot of people saying it was a blast when they played on PS3 or whatever -- the co-op then (and on the console platform) was probably far more active than it is now on the PC. Basically you aren't going to find any co-op games unless you and some friends coordinate it yourself.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the online co-op aspect of Guardian of Light has always been a bit of a bummer in that it's supposed to be amazingly fun but next to impossible to find anyone playing. I've never had success in finding an additional player on the PS3 (had it on day one too) or on the PC (since last Christmas). Maybe they should have CoDed it up a bit or something...

[quote name='Wolfmight']with everyone entered, your chances of getting something are certainly higher by spending them than entering them - but then there's that smaller chance of hitting it big as well. Personally with my luck at contests, I'd just spend em for something immediate instead to guarantee reward from them.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's a either or situation. I think you get prizes AND get entered for the contest.

[quote name='pROvIs']Or use couch co-op[/QUOTE]

Us PC gamers are isolated trolls -- we dare not go outside and meet people! :D

[quote name='Mooby']Us PC gamers are isolated trolls -- we dare not go outside and meet people! :D[/QUOTE]

True but I find that PC gamers are also often older and can play with a Spouse or significant other.

I've bit on LC:GoL just for the hell of it. Never really liked Tomb Raider but this one looks more interesting. Can't really go wrong for 3,75 euros.

[quote name='Wolfmight']
Any ideas on the Command and Conquer games though? never played em, but I've heard mixed thoughts and that some are way better than others.[/QUOTE]

I think any C&C fan would agree that Red Alert 1 and 2 are the best games out of this franchise. Sadly, those are not for sale one steam. If you had to pick just one out of the list then I think I'd advise to go for the regular C&C 3. The expansion is more fun but C&C3 is a good start. If you like generic basebuilding RTS that is. The cutscenes are a bit cheesy but the campaigns are quite fun.

[quote name='killerthrust']Yea but that 4.99 price did not come with the 1 month free subscription. He would have paid 4.99 for the base game and 15 for a subscription. He's paying 9.99 for the game and subscription[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it :p

[quote name='Blackout']I'm not really a PC gamer but I want to try out Quake. I never played it. Would it be lame of me just to buy the original Quake since it's $2.49 right now? Or should I go with Quake 2?[/QUOTE]

Quake 2 is superior, but both are ancient. As time goes by, it doesn't feel like FPSes change much year-over-year, but they do. Going back to play Quake or Doom or Hexen makes this very clear.

But everyone should take the opportunity to wield a BFG-9000 at some point in their lives.

[quote name='pROvIs']It's too bad Risen's price went up, I would have gotten that at $7.50.[/QUOTE]

ah-ha! So I wasn't just seeing things. I noticed the $7.50 price earlier but when I checked this afternoon it changed to $10 and some change. That's lame. I was on the fence @ $7.50 for >$10, no chance in hell. :/

I did pick up Sanctum though, looks like fun!

Wow, just tried to run GTA IV on my VISTA machine and it says I need XP service pack 3 to play.... Ummm, ok, nice programming there rockstar

the fix is equally stupid.

[quote name='dmdragon']Wow, just tried to run GTA IV on my VISTA machine and it says I need XP service pack 3 to play.... Ummm, ok, nice programming there rockstar

the fix is equally stupid.[/QUOTE]
hilarious. :applause: a bit more of a Vista joke than a Rockstar one. Vista has all kinds of humor like that.

[quote name='pROvIs']I don't think it's a either or situation. I think you get prizes AND get entered for the contest.[/QUOTE]

Nice, that changes everything.

pp012dp.gif

[quote name='BitLooter']For the people who don't know, the first Red Alert game can be downloaded free now. EA released it free to promote RA3. Get it here: http://forums.commandandconquer.com/jforum/posts/list/6967.page[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing :D I've got The First Decade but it's a b*tch to run it properly.

I'm not sure of these work on Windows 7 though. But via that link I've found a download for C&C95 with a resolution fix for 1024x768 :D pretty neat and it works like a charm on W7 since I just tested it.

Check it

Considering getting Street Fighting 4. I know Arcade Edition just came out but if I recall correctly, the 360/PS3 versions can get some DLC or something for 15$ to turn the base game into the Arcade edition. Since Arcade Edition is 40$, getting SF4 for 15+15$ dlc (if it exists for the PC version) would save 10$. Thoughts?

[quote name='INCyr']Yeah. At this point, I'm guessing the Spectromancer DLC and Fate of the World will get my $$.[/QUOTE]

I'm planning to get Spectromancer as well. $4.99 for the game and all DLC? Yes, please.

And after all the talk about Fate of the World, I'm really intriguied by it. Not sure if I'll buy it at $4.99 or wait, what with all my other purchases. But it's definitely on my radar!

[quote name='NeoGutsman']I've only played Tomb Raider Underworld recently, but one of the killers for me in the game was navigating underwater. Ugh, I hated that weird 3D map and the underwater controls.[/QUOTE]

When I was trying to decide which Tomb Raider game to by, the trailer on Steam which shows Lara underwater immediately killed all interest I had in Underworld. I'm not a fan of water stages anyway (a recent poll on Game Informer showed most people hate water stages), and combat and navigation underwater is something I'd rather avoid.

I ended up going with Anniversary, although it was a tough call. If I like it, I'll get Legend down the road.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']I want fate of the world to go on sale damnit[/QUOTE]

Technically, it is on sale for $4.99.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Considering getting Street Fighting 4. I know Arcade Edition just came out but if I recall correctly, the 360/PS3 versions can get some DLC or something for 15$ to turn the base game into the Arcade edition. Since Arcade Edition is 40$, getting SF4 for 15+15$ dlc (if it exists for the PC version) would save 10$. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]This doesn't exist for the PC version, since they skipped Super SFIV on the PC entirely. The upgrade to AE was only for Super. Might as well just pick up Arcade Edition now, unless you can wait for the next time it goes on sale. (It didn't take that long for SFIV to get a Steam sale, IIRC - two months?)

[quote name='crystalklear64']Considering getting Street Fighting 4. I know Arcade Edition just came out but if I recall correctly, the 360/PS3 versions can get some DLC or something for 15$ to turn the base game into the Arcade edition. Since Arcade Edition is 40$, getting SF4 for 15+15$ dlc (if it exists for the PC version) would save 10$. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Thats for Super SF4 which didnt come out on PC. You are better off grabbing AE if you want Street Fighter at this point.

EDIT: Got beat to the punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back