Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='facls']I played all three as well. I think Anniversary's levels are more fun. Having played the original one, maybe nostalgia factors in this. Also, I feel that the new style of gameplay used for the first time in Legend was better explored in Anniversary. Underworld was good, but underwhelming. All three are good games though.[/QUOTE]

A fair assessment. The expanded mechanics of Anniversary were an
improvement over what was in Legend. I WANTED to like Anniversary
more and I just can't. Legend just feels right to me.

Either way I think Underworld showed that they had taken the current
Tomb Raider ideas and taken them as far as they could..too far perhaps.

I am EXCITED for the reboot....I think it is going to be awesome.

Okay, Lara Croft and Guardian of Light is a no brainer. It's very little like previous TR's but it's an immensely fun arcade puzzler shooter with excellent co-op AND good single player. I cannot recommend it enough.

The DLC packs are survival challenge rooms, puzzle rooms, gimmick rooms, chase rooms. Just packs of four from that sort of mix. They aren't anything special but they are still fun in my book. I'd buy the shittiest GoL stuff just for more GoL. I love it to death.

Tomb Raider Legend is quite good. Anniversary is just clever and enjoyable even for someone who never played TR1. Legend was straightforward and a good mix of action. Anniversary was more cerebral and slow-paced but still managed a good run of it. They are both fun games.

Underworld, yeah, underwater levels. Didn't even bother with that.

Capcom putting SF4 on sale after releasing SSF4AE and putting DR2 on sale for the price it was way back when is just the last straw. I'd filter out their lousy offerings from Steam if I could. What a bunch of jokes.

Anyone who discounts Guardians of Light without giving it a chance is missing out and is frankly stupid for allowing a preconceived notion to stop them from trying it.

The game is very good.

[quote name='scarhawk']I tried Guardian of Light...
Hated it :|[/QUOTE]

Wait, don't you hate everything though? :p

At least you tried it instead of just discounting it.

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']I think that may be the point. With the PS3 controller, you have to do a bit of messing with it to make things work. (At least I did. Getting my Sixaxis to work in Windows was a real pain in the ass, even with some pretty clear documentation and the software readily available) Meanwhile you just plug in a 360 controller, and BLOOP. CONFIGURED. DONE.

So once they're both running, yeah. There's no operational difference. I think a lot of it is just the sheer ease of using 360 controllers. (Plus as said, an awful lot of games detect it and will flat out prompt you with 360 controls onscreen. Maybe they do the same with the PS3 controller, but if so this is news to me.)[/QUOTE]

While I can't argue with the Plug n Play nature of a 360 controller, setting up my PS3 controller was completely painless. Grabbed the Win7 64 driver from MotionJoy, ran the exe, checked my calibration and settings to make sure everything was functioning and I was good to go. Even has a one click 360 controller option for games that are finicky.

That said, it's insane how the control scheme makes a difference. Beat Hazard is great with mouse/KB, but it's nuts with my controller. Just felt right, which makes sense since it's a twin stick shooter :)

I'm really happy with Sanctum. I love tower defense games and this just adds another layer to it and makes it more immersive as well.

[quote name='dmdragon']Anyone who discounts Guardians of Light without giving it a chance is missing out and is frankly stupid for allowing a preconceived notion to stop them from trying it.

The game is very good.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm glad my preconceived notion that it was just another stupid twin stick shooter prevented me from buying it at full price when it was released.

It's an excellent game that plays much more like a Tomb Raider game than I expected, and despite selling itself hard as a coop game, the single player doesn't at all feel like I'm missing out on anything.

So yeah, shame on me for passing on it before, but now I get to play it for cheap =P

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Really good deals today on Company of Heroes, Lara Croft: GoL and Sanctum. And lol at Capcom.

Yeah, I've been waiting for that to go on sale too. That and the Deathspank games. They haven't been on sale ONCE.[/QUOTE]

I think the odds of a Deathspank sale should be good, I picked up the original Deathspank during the winter sale for 7.50. I probably got 7.50 worth out of it, but didn't really play the heck out of it.

[quote name='VexxedCS']Well, I'm glad my preconceived notion that it was just another stupid twin stick shooter prevented me from buying it at full price when it was released.

It's an excellent game that plays much more like a Tomb Raider game than I expected, and despite selling itself hard as a coop game, the single player doesn't at all feel like I'm missing out on anything.

So yeah, shame on me for passing on it before, but now I get to play it for cheap =P[/QUOTE]

You still tried it though. I mean someone who makes up their mind and no amount of talking or prodding will get them to go back on it. Just so happens that in your case it was the price that did it, and that is just fine :p

[quote name='RollingSkull']Those hoping for Shank on sale are my kind of people. I love Shank a lot.[/QUOTE]

By the way, anyone who missed the psn sale for 5 bucks I hear it is going up for 4.89 for ps+ members in 2 weeks

Picked up Counter strike collection, command and conqurer RA Uprising and Command and conquer 4. Held myself back from tomb raider and quake although still thinking about tomb raider legends (already on GOL).

Also, anyone using Motioninjoy to emulate the 360 controller I found a great bluetooth adapter that SHOULD work with the DS3. According to motioninjoy's wiki the dongle has to be minimum Bluetooth profile 2.0 with EDR. Found one at amazon for 2.09 cents with free shipping if you want to go wireless. According to the wiki it should work, but I can't guarantee, but if not you're out 2 bucks so I'm taking the chance. Good reviews on it too on amazon saying it works really well.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-2-4g...SLGS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1310082512&sr=8-3

Played a solo round on KF to get adjusted a little bit (I know the solo is lame), and I really enjoyed it. I survived! (of course I put it on easy for my first round)

[quote name='jester55']Did anyone notice Portal 2 updating? Mine did, so might be a Portal 2 day tomorrow...[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too. Team Fortress 2 also updated. PRetty big updates though so they could just be regular updates. the portal 2 one was 80 megs and the TF2 was 180 megs.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']New achievement?[/QUOTE]

An achievement called Talent show definitely sounds like something "camp related" for the sale.

I would love Metro :D hmm my biggest gripe with Sanctum is I heard it only had a few maps, and from the time I put into the demo I didn't like that you had so few guns. You only get 3 and while you can upgrade them I would have liked to see more. So I sadly think I will pass on it.

Can anyone comment on the DRM on the Command and Conquer games? I heard that C&C 4 either needed a persistent online connection or had some other form of nasty DRM. I'm completely in the dark over whether the C&C 3 games have any DRM. I'm pretty sure Red Alert 3 doesn't have any but I'm not 100% sure. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

[quote name='jimbodan']Can anyone comment on the DRM on the Command and Conquer games? I heard that C&C 4 either needed a persistent online connection or had some other form of nasty DRM. I'm completely in the dark over whether the C&C 3 games have any DRM. I'm pretty sure Red Alert 3 doesn't have any but I'm not 100% sure. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

C&C 4 is the only one with DRM (almost a 100% on this) But yeah from looking at C&C 4 you need a persistent online connection for it. Can't really give you to much info cause I don't have it or a game with drm like it. Might want to check the steam forums for more info.

[quote name='pROvIs']I don't think it's a either or situation. I think you get prizes AND get entered for the contest.[/QUOTE]

That's my understanding as well.

Hey I was wondering if could do this, If I had two computers and get on my steam account on both. Open up L4D2(or any LAN game) and be able to Co Op it? or will I need two steam accounts or more to have a lan?

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']Also who's the third girl in the banner today? It's Chun Li, Lara Croft, and who's the left most?[/QUOTE]

Asha Catari from Rift.

[quote name='dmdragon']An achievement called Talent show definitely sounds like something "camp related" for the sale.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if I could unlock that with my steam-linked psn account.

Don't really feel like installing 11 gigs of Portal 2 for one achievement.

[quote name='Phrozenx']Hey I was wondering if could do this, If I had two computers and get on my steam account on both. Open up L4D2(or any LAN game) and be able to Co Op it? or will I need two steam accounts or more to have a lan?[/QUOTE]

You can only have your account logged in on one computer at a time.

Are the prizes etched in stone? I don't want to redeem some tickets now and then some of the prizes change the last day of the sale. I know the easiest remedy is to wait till the last day, but I'm just wondering.

[quote name='Terlan']C&C 4 is the only one with DRM (almost a 100% on this) But yeah from looking at C&C 4 you need a persistent online connection for it. Can't really give you to much info cause I don't have it or a game with drm like it. Might want to check the steam forums for more info.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I guess that rules out C&C 4. I refuse to buy any game with that sort of DRM.

[quote name='VindictiveGnome']Are the prizes etched in stone? I don't want to redeem some tickets now and then some of the prizes change the last day of the sale. I know the easiest remedy is to wait till the last day, but I'm just wondering.[/QUOTE]

All we can do is make guesses. I've snagged a couple prizes, but part of me is afraid of some bigger prize being revealed on the last day. Unfortunately, unless someone from Steam comes out and tells us, all we can do is assume that the prizes won't change at all.

Yeah, no way I'm re-installing Portal 2 for one achievement. I beat the single player and co-op, enjoyed, and uninstalled.

Really loving Jamestown...really wish there were more games like it on Steam ;)

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']You can only have your account logged in on one computer at a time.[/QUOTE]
Well that stinks, thanks a lot though.

[quote name='Phrozenx']Well that stinks, thanks a lot though.[/QUOTE]

If i'm not mistaken you can do it, but you would have to be offline on one of the accounts.

[quote name='Kaltic']If i'm not mistaken you can do it, but you would have to be offline on one of the accounts.[/QUOTE]

Not with games that require you to be connected to the internet, like L4D2 (which was his original question.)

Not many games have local co-op, and L4Dx is not one of them, but it would be interesting to try with local co-op games, like Shadowgrounds.

+1 for Lara Croft: GoL. It's a fantastic twin stick shooter, and the challenges along with the collectible guns & equipment really keep me coming back to replay levels.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Tomorrow's sales?

According to header images:
Mafia II
Splinter Cell Conviction (Franchise)
Empire & Napoleon Total War GOTY
Mass Effect 2

link: http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/901714/header_292x136.jpg

Just change the number after "apps" to 901715....etc.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kyrhon']Goodness. You got me all excited for tomorrow! :bouncy::bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Me too!
Hoping for E&N Total War GOTY on the cheap or at least comparable to recent sale prices elsewhere.

I have shown restraint from Splinter Cell franchise the last 2 times it was on sale. Can I resist a 3rd time? Make is cheap STEAM!

(Why do I have more fun collecting STEAM games than actually playing any of my huge backlog? :wall:)

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Tomorrow's sales?

According to header images:
Mafia II
Splinter Cell Conviction (Franchise)
Empire & Napoleon Total War GOTY
Mass Effect 2

link: http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/901714/header_292x136.jpg

Just change the number after "apps" to 901715....etc.[/QUOTE] I'll definitely pick up Chaos Theory if it's cheap enough. I might pick up Mafia II. I've already beat it on console, but the gun play was just so good.

I can't believe Mirror's Edge isn't on sale. I really wanted to pick it up on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back