Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Well it's a JRPG. It's not your traditional JRPG turned based system. (I forgot exactly how it works since it's been over a year), but it's decent for $10. I know you been looking for more traditional JRPG games and this is the closest you might find on Steam.[/QUOTE]

I'm torn. I'm 2nd in line to get a 360 copy from Goozex. I'm downloading the Steam demo to try the game out, but I'm thinking if it's easily available elsewhere for only trade, I should probably save my pennies for games I can only get on Steam.

Figures, bastards didn't mark down Napoleon more on its own.

Looks the first day I don't get anything during the sale, my wallet is happy :D

First and foremost:
[quote name='Blackout']Am I supposed to download something else to run these games on my PC since they're so old?[/QUOTE]
Nope! Steam is supposed to let you download them all packed up and ready to go.

[quote name='Blackout']So I bought the Quake pack and need some help from you PC guys. I have never really played a PC game before so I don't know what to do when these error messages pop up. I tried playing Quake 1 and I keep getting the error message 'SetDisplayMode failed (DDERR_UNSUPPORTED!) and "couldn't resize DIB window." I have zero idea what any of this means.[/QUOTE]
Are you trying to open GLQuake? If so, you need to go and download the latest version of GLQuake. For whatever reason Steam decided to package Quake with an outdated version that's borked. Oh hey have a link!

If this is happening in not-so-GL Quake, well, best i can offer is to google and see if you can find a solution. =\ Best of luck!

[quote name='drakesvg']Any thoughts on The Last Remnant??[/QUOTE]

Picked this one up right away. Supposed to have fixed a lot of problems from the 360 version. Had waited last year for it to go on sale and it never did. So glad it is now.

Square is such a greedy stupid company. They have the worst sales each and every time. Its no wonder they are in decline. We get a dozen meh games like Last Remnant for every great game like Kingdom Hearts.....and then they refuse to put those on sale!

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm torn. I'm 2nd in line to get a 360 copy from Goozex. I'm downloading the Steam demo to try the game out, but I'm thinking if it's easily available elsewhere for only trade, I should probably save my pennies for games I can only get on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Get the PC version, it is better. No framerate and texture pop in issues (which still happen if you install the game to your 360). Plus no leader units means you can actually take advantage of all 5 unions without being awful like you would in the 360 version.

PC is the superior version if you plan on getting it.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm torn. I'm 2nd in line to get a 360 copy from Goozex. I'm downloading the Steam demo to try the game out, but I'm thinking if it's easily available elsewhere for only trade, I should probably save my pennies for games I can only get on Steam.[/QUOTE]
I would. It's a PC port and while it's a fine PC port, your money can be saved.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I own it. Lets put it this way, if you like watching tv shows about space/planets then you will like this. It's basically a lets create a solar system and simulate things happening like they would for real.

You will either find it super fun or super boring.[/QUOTE]

That does sound interesting. However, my backlog is pretty big, so I think I might take a chance that it'll be on sale again during the Christmas sale. I probably wouldn't get around to playing it before then, anyway & it'll probably be cheaper then if it does go on sale.

Now if it were 75% off right now... it might be a different story.

Thanks for the reply.

I recommend Amnesia (scariest game I've ever played) and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (holds up really well, and has amazing stealth mechanics).

Arg. Today is a day of tough decisions.

Empire/Napoleon pack when I already have Napoleon (but not dlc)

Splinter Cell pack when I have the first 3 on xbox (and there's the upcoming HD Box on PS3)

Fallout 3 GOTY when I already have it on 360

Thoughts?

[quote name='topplehat']Some decent deals on Fallout and ME2. Will probably bite for Fallout and wait for the inevitable ME2 GOTY edition with all the DLC.[/QUOTE]

I got a feeling there won't be an ME2 GOTY edition. There still isn't one for the 360 right now either.

EDIT: Although, I'd punch myself in the face if one comes out...

[quote name='cmackchase']Is anyone else having issues with trying to click on mass effect 2?[/QUOTE]

I had trouble clicking on Mass Effect 2 as well, but that seems to be fixed now. Here are the sale prices for the franchise:

Mass Effect 1: $6.80
Mass Effect 2: $6.80
Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe: $17.99
Mass Effect 1 + Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe Pack: $19.99

The Digital Deluxe extras don't interest me. I think I might pick up the standard edition of both for $13.60

Fallout 3 GotY officially purchased! Already got my FO3 + BS/PL discs on eBay. Looks like they could fetch are least $15-20. Would cover almost all I've spent this sale :)

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Random question, but anyone know if the DLC from the Steam version of Fallout 3 GOTY works with a vanilla disc copy?[/QUOTE]

I would imagine it saying it requires the base game Fallout 3 on Steam to play it on the DLCs store page would be a no.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Random question, but anyone know if the DLC from the Steam version of Fallout 3 GOTY works with a vanilla disc copy?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the DLC page say, straight up, that you have to have a Steam verison of Fallout 3 to play them.

To good news is that the GOTY edition is cheaper than the DLC combined! :)

[quote name='Genocidal']There are plenty of games in that list that I either wouldn't recommend to anyone (Space Giraffe) or that have been deals on Steam before, and possibly for cheaper in the past (Hydrophobia, SquareLogic, Puzzle Quest, World of Goo). A lot of the other stuff has been discussed in this thread during past sales, especially when they were more indie focused.

I'm not trying to discourage you from recommending games, but posting a picture of another thread isn't as genuine as picking out a few games you personally enjoy, and it isn't going to show most of us the light of gaming bliss that you seem to think we're missing.[/QUOTE]

I'm just trying to get discussion going on some games people may not have heard of yet. Most of the people are talking about are games that are 2-3 years old.

Hey guys
How much was Amnesia in the last sale?

Napoleon Total War looks interesting
I like History.
Does this game have a lot of History like towns, units, generals and all of that?

I'm not gonna lie, I'm kind of butthurt that Empire, Last remnant and Fallout 3 arent at the $6-$7 price range. I'm trying only to buy Last remnant but Empire looks really tempting -_-

Today's my first big day of the sale. Think I'll pick up Winter Voices, Worms, Doc Clock, Mass Effect 2, and Fallout.

[quote name='Phrozenx']I'm not gonna lie, I'm kind of butthurt that Empire, Last remnant and Fallout 3 arent at the $6-$7 price range. I'm trying only to buy Last remnant but Empire looks really tempting -_-[/QUOTE]
Well it's Empire with all the DLC and Napoleon with all the DLC. I think the price is more than fair since it's two complete games.

Has this sale been pretty bad for anyone else? I've been skipping several of the previous daily deals in hopes that there will be better deals later on, but it seems like they're getting worse each day.

When I compare my haul from this sale with my hauls from previous sales, it really makes this sale seem pretty weak. Either that or I just already have most of the games that I want.

I've been waiting for AGES for The Last Remnant to reach a price low enough that'd warrant a double dip (I already have the 360 version). $10 is the cheapest I've seen it but it's still not good enough. Can't believe the MSRP is still $39.99.

Is there a reason Pandora Tomorrow is not on Steam? I'm just on the Steam website but I am not seeing it anywhere, I want to bite on Splinter Cell series, but I want the first 3 games.

I already own Empire: Total war, so the deal for Napoleon+Empire doesn't seem as appealing as it should to me. Is there any way to gift the copy of Empire to someone else if I buy the daily deal? =\

Also gonna grab Mass Effect 1, Mafia 2, and Splinter Cell Conviction and maybe Chaos Theory.

[quote name='The End']That does sound interesting. However, my backlog is pretty big, so I think I might take a chance that it'll be on sale again during the Christmas sale. I probably wouldn't get around to playing it before then, anyway & it'll probably be cheaper then if it does go on sale.

Now if it were 75% off right now... it might be a different story.

Thanks for the reply.[/QUOTE]

It really isn't a game in the sense that you'll never play it enough for it to interfere with your backlog. I've had it for a few months and I've put about 5 hours into it, but I only played it for 30 minutes or so at a time every time I had an urge to do something in it. Think of it like Google Earth. You can fool around in it for a while, but you don't spend hours in it like you can playing a game.

The last time I started it up, it was because I had the urge to see what would happen if I slowly increased the mass of Saturn as it orbited. Once I did that I admittedly got sucked into it and did more experimentation, but even then I didn't "play" it long. You can do more complex things like making your own star systems, and that can certainly keep you playing it like a game, but for the most part this is just a "mess around for a few minutes" type of program.

All that said, it's a good program, and worth the money, but it really helps to already have an interest in astronomy. If you don't, you may get bored after only a few hours.

[quote name='Viper45']Has this sale been pretty bad for anyone else? I've been skipping several of the previous daily deals in hopes that there will be better deals later on, but it seems like they're getting worse each day.

When I compare my haul from this sale with my hauls from previous sales, it really makes this sale seem pretty weak. Either that or I just already have most of the games that I want.

I've been waiting for AGES for The Last Remnant to reach a price low enough that'd warrant a double dip (I already have the 360 version). $10 is the cheapest I've seen it but it's still not good enough. Can't believe the MSRP is still $39.99.[/QUOTE]

The sale has been good. Pretty much everyday I've owned over half the games on sale but just because I own them doesn't mean the sale isn't good anyways.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction non-Deluxe Edition is $6.79 if you look carefully.
Is the Deluxe edition really worth it? The main game looks good enough.

What about Chaos Theory?

Disappointed they aren't 75%. Big deal for cheap asses.

Amnesia is still not cheaper than $4.95 damn. Probably gonna wait till it is. I know it will be later and my backlog says wait.

What about that Mafia 1? 2002 is a bit dated but is it a good game none the less?

Fallout 3 GotY is an amazing bargain. If you have a good rig, it looks amazing on the PC. I am going to pick up ME1 & 2, Amnesia, and possibly Mafia 2. If I hadn't picked up FO3 GotY from D2D yesterday, that would also be on the docket. Really nice deals today.

[quote name='Kaltic']I would imagine it saying it requires the base game Fallout 3 on Steam to play it on the DLCs store page would be a no.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='gcorlett']Unfortunately, the DLC page say, straight up, that you have to have a Steam verison of Fallout 3 to play them.

To good news is that the GOTY edition is cheaper than the DLC combined! :)[/QUOTE]
I saw that, but was wondering what others experiences were, as the Steam pages have been wrong before about DRM, controller support, etc. I'm not sure how they could tie the DLC specifically to the Steam version, knowing how the DLC for Bethesda games works, but I just wanted to be sure is all.

Pretty blah day for me. Only thing I am even considering is Worms.

Amnesia and Empire deals are good and recommended.

Fallout 3 is a great deal if you haven't played it. Beware of the GFW requirement though.
SC is a good collection but overpriced.
ME1+2 played through on 360
Last Remnant is still too high considering its age and review scores

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']man, wish the total war games were available at the sale price separately.[/QUOTE]

Me too, Dae-Su, me too...

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']man, wish the total war games were available at the sale price separately.[/QUOTE]

I wish the Empire DLC (All I am missing) was discounted. I bought the other two versions right before they released the GOTY and have been kicking myself since.

[quote name='shosh']question about mass effect.

where can you purchase the dlc for both games? do you have to do it ingame to ea?[/QUOTE]

Mass Effect 2's is in-game through their Cerberus network stuff and I'm not even sure if the ME1 dlc is available on the PC...

where can you purchase the dlc for both games? do you have to do it ingame to ea?[/QUOTE]

I believe that is how it works, unfortunately.

Gotta quit re-buying stuff I already have retail. Picked up:

ME2
Mafia
Worms: Reloaded + Pre-Order DLC
FO3: GotY

I guess it's good that Capcom doesn't have good sale prices on their Steam titles, I'd be in the hole even more than I already am...

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Well it's Empire with all the DLC and Napoleon with all the DLC. I think the price is more than fair since it's two complete games.[/QUOTE]

Consider two things:

- The bundle has already been available before cheaper (I bought it for $7.50 in February from D2D and registered on Steam)

- The Napoleon is really an extension of Empire, not a separate game and is the only game to play. Empire was released raw and soon abandoned by developer who concentrated all the enhancements on Napoleon.

[quote name='kyrhon']I believe that is how it works, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]
bleh, so i guess its like 7-10 bucks for the dlc, like on xbox live with no sales?

[quote name='shosh']bleh, so i guess its like 7-10 bucks for the dlc, like on xbox live with no sales?[/QUOTE]

I think you have to buy the DLC straight from Bioware. If I remember correctly, you need Bioware points (similar to Live points) to purchase the DLC.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Anyone recommends Splinter Cell Conviction DLC if I already beat the main game on 360?[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know this too. I did not play Deniable Ops. I don't play coop, but I heard it's good and it can be played solo.

Bring Down the Sky is free if you register your game with Bioware. I believe the other one is $5, and you purchase it in-game.

[quote name='netscorer']Consider two things:

- The bundle has already been available before cheaper (I bought it for $7.50 in February from D2D and registered on Steam)

- The Napoleon is really an extension of Empire, not a separate game and is the only game to play. Empire was released raw and soon abandoned by developer who concentrated all the enhancements on Napoleon.[/QUOTE]
I never knew that. I always though they were separate games. Still $10 is a fair price, not going to complain about losing 2-3 dollars over a good rts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back