Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think I can help myself with Mafia 2, must buy....

Side note: kb/m or 360 pad? In the demo I loved kb/m for gun fights, but felt like 360 pad would have helped out with the driving. Those of you that have the game, how did you play it?

[quote name='iso135']Don't think I can help myself with Mafia 2, must buy....

Side note: kb/m or 360 pad? In the demo I loved kb/m for gun fights, but felt like 360 pad would have helped out with the driving. Those of you that have the game, how did you play it?[/QUOTE]

I used a 360 pad and played through the whole thing. 3rd person games like that just feel more natural to me with a controller.

[quote name='iso135']Don't think I can help myself with Mafia 2, must buy....

Side note: kb/m or 360 pad? In the demo I loved kb/m for gun fights, but felt like 360 pad would have helped out with the driving. Those of you that have the game, how did you play it?[/QUOTE]

360 pad. I tried to use the kb/m, but it just didn't feel right, aiming was easier, but like you said, driving was kind of a pain.

Thanks all for the advice, I actually like 360 controllers better than kb/m most of the time because I just started playing pc games after lots of 360...and the driving did seem very odd, so I'll use my 360 controller!

Edit: Just noticed my steam rating has risen from like 2 at the start of the sale to 7.5 at the moment...I am well on my way to ten by tomorrow!

Mafia 1 worth a pickup?

Any Mafia 2 DLC worth a pickup?

Splinter Cell Collector Pack worth a pickup or wait since I have a huge backlog?

Going to wait on Total War due to my huge backlog and I have a feeling it will be cheaper at winter sale since I missed the cheaper sale at D2D....

Thanks for the responses!

I got an hour left and I am still on the fence about Splinter Cell Conviction. Anyone know how well it controls on the PC? Do I need a controller?

[quote name='jkimrey']Was thinking about picking up Amnesia until someone (thank you BTW) mentioned the fact that it could cause motion sickness to those people susceptible to that.

I still can't get far in Half-Life 2 due to motion sickness. :([/QUOTE]

I wonder if motion sickness wrist bands help with computer games. My wife uses them for car sickness and they worked great for morning sickness for her as well. Made a night and day difference for her. I might have to run a test with her on half life 2 to see if she gets sick with/without them :)

Here's what they look like if you haven't heard of them.
http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Band-Adult
They work on some people, not on others.

Back on topic: Here's my haul so far
Alpha Protocol
Bully
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate
Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition
Just Cause 2
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Stalker Call of Pripyat
Stalker Clear Sky
Wings of Prey

Wait for end of sale:
Faerie Solitaire
Terraria
Zen Bound 2

[quote name='Doomtime']As much as a I loved Mafia 2, I'd say skip the DLC.[/QUOTE]

So Jimmy's Vendetta and Joe's Adventure arent that great or arent worth the $2.49 price tag?

(funny how things change because I could have sworn most CAGers were suggesting this DLC in the winter sale! :lol:)

[quote name='mikejenks']I've yet to "go right" with Obsidian.[/QUOTE]

Poor...Poor....Obsidian.
Doesn't matter if its KOTOR II, NWN II, New Vegas, or Alpha Protocol
it is always the same story. Ambitious game. Interesting story. Buggy.
Never as great as the individual parts would have you believe.

I just finished Alpha Protocol yesterday and I thought that Sega probably
pushed it out the door and given some time to polish they could have made
that game really sing. Then I read it was in development for 4 years...yikes.

Obsidian......good ideas.....sloppy execution

[quote name='sealionnn']Am I the only one who thought Mass Effect was kind of boring? [/QUOTE]

I'm in the middle of it right now, about 20 hours in. It took me about 5 hours before i got the hang of the game. It is wordy. But I really dig the story. It's like a lost Star Trek movie.

[quote name='jester55']So Jimmy's Vendetta and Joe's Adventure arent that great or arent worth the $2.49 price tag?

(funny how things change because I could have sworn most CAGers were suggesting this DLC in the winter sale! :lol:)[/QUOTE]

The story missions weren't that long and I felt like I would have been okay without them. The Jimmy's Vendetta DLC gives you more to do around the city, but again, I was fine with just the story of Mafia 2. If you want more to do around the city, then go for them. If you're looking for them to add a lot more to the story like I was, then pass. Hope that helps.

[quote name='PenguinJim']Cheers, an Italian opinion is always preferred. :)[/QUOTE]

No problem. :cool:

[quote name='Doomtime']The story missions weren't that long and I felt like I would have been okay without them. The Jimmy's Vendetta DLC gives you more to do around the city, but again, I was fine with just the story of Mafia 2. If you want more to do around the city, then go for them. If you're looking for them to add a lot more to the story like I was, then pass. Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense. I didnt know if it was a no-brainer DLC like Just Cause 2 due to fun factor. I have such a huge backlog, I dont think I will miss this content! Thanks!

What are your thoughts on the first Mafia? Good pick up for $2.49?

[quote name='jester55']Makes sense. I didnt know if it was a no-brainer DLC like Just Cause 2 due to fun factor. I have such a huge backlog, I dont think I will miss this content! Thanks!

What are your thoughts on the first Mafia? Good pick up for $2.49?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, if you want a no-brainer, the first Mafia is that game. (Especially at $2.49)

[quote name='Doomtime']Absolutely, if you want a no-brainer, the first Mafia is that game.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! - picking up Mafia 1 then!

Now if I can only make a final decision on Splinter Cell Collector Pack and Total War?!?:lol:

[quote name='gcorlett']I'm in the middle of it right now, about 20 hours in. It took me about 5 hours before i got the hang of the game. It is wordy. But I really dig the story. It's like a lost Star Trek movie.[/QUOTE]

I loved Mass Effect when it first came out. I literally beat the game and started it over immediately.

That said, I recently tried playing it for me wife because I thought she would
enjoy the story and all I could think about were the flaws and how I would
rather be playing Mass Effect 2.

The most boring part of the game is in the beginning few hours while Shepard is trying to become a spectre. I know, major spoiler there :).

It really does pick up after that, but Mass Effect 2 game play is so much better. I think Mass Effect has a better overall story though....

I bought Fallout 3, then patiently waited for hours for it to download and install, played for about an hour only to have it crash constantly can't even make out of the vault. I have tried to run it in lower settings but it still crashes no matter what.... so frustating.

I don't my computer (Core i5, 8GB DDR3 RAM, AMD 6870, Win7 64bit) is the problem I just built it three months ago, it has run pretty much every game I've thrown at it at max settings

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm glad the summer sale is almost over. I need less temptation in my day. :D[/QUOTE]

But there's still the last day when you contemplate all the little gems you want to buy that never got daily deals! Like all the Winter Voice episodes!

[quote name='Shimrra']I got an hour left and I am still on the fence about Splinter Cell Conviction. Anyone know how well it controls on the PC? Do I need a controller?[/QUOTE]

I played it using the keyboard. It works just fine.

Interesting - I might have to check those out.

Appreciate the info.

[quote name='SkullTheTroll']I wonder if motion sickness wrist bands help with computer games. My wife uses them for car sickness and they worked great for morning sickness for her as well. Made a night and day difference for her. I might have to run a test with her on half life 2 to see if she gets sick with/without them :)

Here's what they look like if you haven't heard of them.
http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Band-Adult
They work on some people, not on others.

Back on topic: Here's my haul so far
Alpha Protocol
Bully
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate
Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition
Just Cause 2
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Stalker Call of Pripyat
Stalker Clear Sky
Wings of Prey

Wait for end of sale:
Faerie Solitaire
Terraria
Zen Bound 2[/QUOTE]

Last minute decision as to pick up Chaos Theory or not; seems to be the highest thought of based on the thread.

Does it work well with the 360 controller (sorry if that's been asked before)?

[quote name='LazyTriangle']I bought Fallout 3, then patiently waited for hours for it to download and install, played for about an hour only to have it crash constantly can't even make out of the vault. I have tried to run it in lower settings but it still crashes no matter what.... so frustating.

I don't my computer (Core i5, 8GB DDR3 RAM, AMD 6870, Win7 64bit) is the problem I just built it three months ago, it has run pretty much every game I've thrown at it at max settings[/QUOTE]

It's not technically Win7 compatible. There seem to be a few ways around it, but I have yet to find it. I am testing it out on Steam now.

And to the guy asking about Chaos Theory: BUY. This game is my favorite of the series. Tons, tons, tons, tons of fun, especially if you can get a buddy to do some co-op with you. My friend and I would just do co-op for hours and slam doors on the enemies/each other and watch the rag dolls go flying. There are many other fun things to do with the rag dolls, too, such as throwing them off ledges, down the stairs, propping them up in "settings" as if they are sitting on a couch watching tv or something, etc.

Check the steam forums. There is a "fix" involving changing a setting (registry or .ini file perhaps?). Before I did that, my Win7 64bit machine would constantly crash a few mins in the game.

After I applied the changes, once the game started, it wouldn't crash. It can still take 3-4 tries actually getting the game to start w/o crashing, but once it started, it wouldn't crash.

[quote name='sealionnn']It's not technically Win7 compatible. There seem to be a few ways around it, but I have yet to find it. I am testing it out on Steam now.[/QUOTE]

Odd. I have vanilla FO3 on my Win7 64-bit PC and while I haven't played it much, I haven't had any trouble launching it or crashing, but maybe I'm just lucky. Still haven't bought GOTY (better hurry!) cuz I'm concerned about some mods not working in the expansions.

[quote name='jkimrey']Check the steam forums. There is a "fix" involving changing a setting (registry or .ini file perhaps?). Before I did that, my Win7 64bit machine would constantly crash a few mins in the game.

After I applied the changes, once the game started, it wouldn't crash. It can still take 3-4 tries actually getting the game to start w/o crashing, but once it started, it wouldn't crash.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just started the game up, and it crashed 4 times just in the video setup, and then it crashed again when I tried to play the game. Luckily though, when I do get it to work again, I kept my old save file! :D I'll check out the steam forums for more info on what you said.

IIRC, it had something to do with reducing the number of cores used by the game....?

[quote name='sealionnn']Yeah, I just started the game up, and it crashed 4 times just in the video setup, and then it crashed again when I tried to play the game. Luckily though, when I do get it to work again, I kept my old save file! :D I'll check out the steam forums for more info on what you said.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jkimrey']Check the steam forums. There is a "fix" involving changing a setting (registry or .ini file perhaps?). Before I did that, my Win7 64bit machine would constantly crash a few mins in the game.

After I applied the changes, once the game started, it wouldn't crash. It can still take 3-4 tries actually getting the game to start w/o crashing, but once it started, it wouldn't crash.[/QUOTE]

I have been reading the steam forums for solutions as well, I will try changing the .ini file which seems to be working for some Win7 users like myself. I haven't had any problems starting the game itself, I can get to the main menu just fine, however the game crashes within few seconds after loading a save game file

If I don't really like RPGs, Fallout 3 and ME2 aren't going to be that enjoyable for me, are they? Trying to talk myself out of them... but then again, this is CAG. Who can resist a good deal, haha. 5 minutes left to make a decision...

[quote name='zillionandnine']If I don't really like RPGs, Fallout 3 and ME2 aren't going to be that enjoyable for me, are they? Trying to talk myself out of them... but then again, this is CAG. Who can resist a good deal, haha. 5 minutes left to make a decision...[/QUOTE]

ME2 is more shooter than RPG

Today's deals

dayten.png

Man today seems super mehish to me cause I already have most of the stuff I'd want. Gonna snag the X-super box. Duke nukem forever is tempting but that price is still kinda high. Gonna have to think on it.

Awesome, Portal 2 for $24.99 ... It was absolutely worth the full price for me, so this is a great deal imo.

Just Terraria for me today. I also bit on ME2 at the last minute. Woo! I've shown considerable restraint during this sale ... so far I've only picked up Just Cause 2, Mass Effect 2, and Terraria. I gifted a copy of Trine, and got Magicka gifted to me, though. Can't wait until summer school is over and I can finally play these games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back