Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Steggy']I aleady have a majority of the valve pack but still want it for a few items....

Would anyone want a gifted copy of HL2, HL2 Ep 1, HL2 Ep 2, Portal

In exchange for a gifted anything from you?

On the fence on getting this as I really wanna play HL2 wth th HD graphics and many of the others I have never played like L4D and Portals.[/QUOTE]

Halflife 2 and the episodes are nothing short of amazing. I would definitely get it if you haven't yet.

I paid 50 for hl2 when it was released and 40 for each of the episodes. I feel I got my money's worth at that price.

Let's see everyone's totals.

Garry's Mod - $2.50
Toki Tori - $1.24
Starwars Battlefront 2 - $2.50
Killing Floor - $5
Total: $11.24

"Operation don't spend much money at all" was a success. My Paypal account getting limited probably helped, because I was gonna jump on Oddworld for 84 cents and Terraria for $2.50 (I saw it, but couldn't buy games).

[quote name='dmdragon']Hey, i was just trying to help out. Models aside the music it adds and the environment are pretty great.[/QUOTE]

You did. I've never been able to find images of the character models so it was certainly helpful.

[quote name='Jmclark']Let's see everyone's totals.[/QUOTE]

Besides the fact that there is still tomorrow, while it is usually rehashes you never know.

I'm sitting at...

Dragon Age Ultimate - 10.18
Tropic 3 Gold - 4.99
Lead & Gold - 1.13
Penny Arcade Bundle - 1.80
King Arther Complete - 4.50
Sanctum - 2.70 (or higher I know it was 2.xx though and I am too lazy to check paypal)
Just Cause 2 + DLC - 6.87
Total - 32.17

Its more than what I was expecting to spend and it if wasn't for DA:U and JC2 it would be quite low, but I have been waiting for DA:U since DA:O was released.

[quote name='Kaltic']Besides the fact that there is still tomorrow, while it is usually rehashes you never know.[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought the sales ended tomorrow morning, since it's the 10th.

[quote name='Jmclark']Let's see everyone's totals. [/QUOTE]

Terraria $2.49
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory $3.39
Empire & Napoleon Total war GOTY $10.19
Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money $2.99
Fallout: New Vegas - Honest Hearts $2.99
Plants vs Zombies - $3.39
F1 2010 - $20.09
Heroes of Might and Magic pack - $4.99
Oblivion GOTY - $6.80
Need for Speed Bundle - Undercover, Hot Persuit, Shift, Shift 2 - $33.99
Mafia 2 (Someone gave to me)

= 91.31 USD

I really, really regret buying the Need for Speed pack. I tried Shift 2, and it's sooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad compared to other racing games I've played. Maybe Hot Persuit will be enjoyable for some arcade-type fun. I also should have waited til the last day for F1 2010, as it was a daily deal for $10... =/

Still, I'm happy with what I got... I think...

[quote name='Jmclark']Really? I thought the sales ended tomorrow morning, since it's the 10th.[/QUOTE]
Nope. There's still one more day of sales and tickets. However, Valve usually uses the last day of the sale to showcase the popular daily deals one more time.

Hopefully Valve might throw in one or two last new daily deals tomorrow if they go with a recap, I know its doubtful but I can dream :D still hoping for metro or bulletstorm~

I spent around 50 dollars. I still have a copy of Frozen Synapse for trade (PM me), any opinions on Neverwinter Nights 2? I remember people saying it was awful, but for that price I'm intrigued.

[quote name='Phrozenx']my total is somewhere around $80.

Seems like a lot at first but considering the price a now is like $60. Not bad, not bad at all.[/QUOTE]

I really like your method of organizing your games. I have mine mostly separated into genres but it would have been handy to track when I bought them (and how many from past sales I never touched!)

Oh my total was also around $80 about $30 over my budget but I never really expected to stay under it, but hey I should be set for games for the next 3 or 5 months (so til the holiday sale XD )

I have my games organized into 2 groups.

Group 1: Games I will actually play
Group 2: Shit I will never play but valve won't delete from my list

Group 2 is mostly demos and betas that they won't take off.. I have Duke nukem demo on there, TF2 beta, copies of Civ IV that are listed as unavailable (I think because they are the mac versions)

[quote name='dmdragon']I have my games organized into 2 groups.

Group 1: Games I will actually play
Group 2: Shit I will never play but valve won't delete from my list

Group 2 is mostly demos and betas that they won't take off.. I have Duke nukem demo on there, TF2 beta, copies of Civ IV that are listed as unavailable (I think because they are the mac versions)[/QUOTE]

haha I do the same thing, except I have group 3 which is dedicated to all of those Monkey Island games.

Assuming I don't break down and grab Oblivion during the recap, here's my haul:

BioShock 2 - $3.75
Beat Hazard Complete - $3.25
Lara Croft: Guardian of Light - $3.75
Fallout 3: GotY - $10.20
----------
Total: $20.95
Cost per SKU: ~$5.25
Cost per game & DLC: ~$2.10

[quote name='dmdragon']I had about 10 items in steam before the sale. I now have 59 :\[/QUOTE]

That is pretty much what I did with my first steam sale. Now that I own so many games it makes every other sale cheaper.

I've been able to hold off on most of the days and on the days i did buy something i only bought 1 cheap game, now that I've had more time to think about the sale I've relized I've missed quite a few games that probably won't be in the recap. All in all this sale made me want to switch from consol gaming to pc gaming.

heres me wishing they put kings quest, heroes of might and magic, and frozen synapse back on sale.

Was Dwarfs!? ever on sale or is 4.99 the lowest it's been?

I got COH Gold (should have got the complete pack, like I thought)

I hope to get Trine and Torchlight tomorrow if I get a chance, maybe Magicka. If not, there is always winter or daily deals.

Good thing Terraria's price went up. I really don't think I would have played it anyway. Saved me the guilt of not getting it in the first place :p

Since everyone is posting their haul, here's mines for the summer sale:

Defense Grid Map DLCs (4) - $0.96
Beat Hazard iTunes DLC, Ultra - $1.49
Lara Croft GOL DLCs (3) - $2.58

My best yet. The past 4 or so Steam sales have always been brutal on my wallet. I've finally been able to hold out on most of them. Granted, I already have a bunch of the games, but some tempting deals did come up that I was able to let go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alien Breed 2 - Free
Star Wars Battlefront 2 - $2.50
Stubbs the Zombie - $2.50
Tomb Raider: Anniversary - $2.50
Transformers: War for Cybertron - $7.50
Bioshock - $5?
Bioshock 2 - $3.75
Doom Complete Pack - $7.50?
Half Life Complete - $10
Company of Heroes - $2.50
Hoard - $2.25
X3 - $2.50
Mass Effect & Mass Effect 2 - $12
KotOR - $2.50
Garry's Mod - $2.50
Universe Sandbox - $5
Spectromancer - $2.50

If my calculations are correct (and simple math is not my forte at all) then I should have ended up around $73. When you break down the packs, that should be roughly 27 or so games (since there is some DLC as well) which would end up around $2.70 per game. My math could be way off as I'm wondering what math even is, but regardless, this was the one time I could splurge during a Steam sale and next time I'll only need to pick up a few games here or there.

Was the King's Quest collection a daily deal? If so, I missed it...

[quote name='jab1235']I've been able to hold off on most of the days and on the days i did buy something i only bought 1 cheap game, now that I've had more time to think about the sale I've relized I've missed quite a few games that probably won't be in the recap. All in all this sale made me want to switch from consol gaming to pc gaming.

heres me wishing they put kings quest, heroes of might and magic, and frozen synapse back on sale.

Was Dwarfs!? ever on sale or is 4.99 the lowest it's been?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I havent bought anything. Might grab something on the recap like Bioshock 1 or Singularity. I kinda wish I would have grabbed some games but I probably wont get to them.

Anyone suggestions on which Hitman to get between the 2nd and Blood Money. Ive played them very little so I cant really say which to get. Think I might just grab one of them.

How's Supreme Commander 2? I'm always seeing this game on sale for $3.74 but never really thought about getting it. I'm still fairly new to RTS games, only really played World in Conflict and Company of Heroes.

Also how's Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands? I played the trilogy and enjoyed them especially the very first game, Sands of Time. I played a little of the 2008 game PoP and thought it was boring. How's Forgotten Sands?

Yeah I havent bought anything. Might grab something on the recap like Bioshock 1 or Singularity. I kinda wish I would have grabbed some games but I probably wont get to them.

Anyone suggestions on which Hitman to get between the 2nd and Blood Money. Ive played them very little so I cant really say which to get. Think I might just grab one of them.

Thats a nice price on Dead Space 2 tho.

[quote name='jkimrey']PAM looks fun, especially for $2.50. Anyone have thoughts on it? TIA[/QUOTE]

I'd say its worth 2.50 for sure. Kind of a simple car racing game with weapons.

[quote name='aus_nacht']again. Any thoughts on Dead Space 2? My price point was 10 but I'd pay 15 if it was worth it.[/QUOTE]

I paid ~$40 when it launched and don't regret it. I didn't touch the multiplayer because it didn't look very appealing, but the campaign is top notch. Every bit as good as the original if not better, and IMO a strong GOTY contender thus far. I'd say $15 is a great price if you plan on playing it before the next steam sale.

[quote name='Abeja']Yeah I havent bought anything. Might grab something on the recap like Bioshock 1 or Singularity. I kinda wish I would have grabbed some games but I probably wont get to them.

Thats a nice price on Dead Space 2 tho.[/QUOTE]

Hitman 2 Silent Assassin is a much better game than the first one. You can try to through a level completely undetected or go in guns blazing. Never got around to playing Blood Money even though I got it at a Target clearance a few years back.

[quote name='eagles5769']How's Supreme Commander 2? I'm always seeing this game on sale for $3.74 but never really thought about getting it. I'm still fairly new to RTS games, only really played World in Conflict and Company of Heroes.

Also how's Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands? I played the trilogy and enjoyed them especially the very first game, Sands of Time. I played a little of the 2008 game PoP and thought it was boring. How's Forgotten Sands?[/QUOTE]

Its a pretty decent game, I recommend if you enjoyed previous installments but do not expect much.

[quote name='jkimrey']Was the King's Quest collection a daily deal? If so, I missed it...[/QUOTE]
yea it was a franchise sale, I think the whole pack was $7ish. Lets just hope it goes on sale again tomorrow because i decided i wanted it litteraly a minute to late.

[quote name='crookshow']I paid ~$40 when it launched and don't regret it. I didn't touch the multiplayer because it didn't look very appealing, but the campaign is top notch. Every bit as good as the original if not better, and IMO a strong GOTY contender thus far. I'd say $15 is a great price if you plan on playing it before the next steam sale.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I think I will jump in. 15 seemed a bit high but I really liked the first one and frankly I'd rather have it now than wait until December to possible save 5 dollars.

[quote name='Abeja']Yeah I havent bought anything. Might grab something on the recap like Bioshock 1 or Singularity. I kinda wish I would have grabbed some games but I probably wont get to them.

Thats a nice price on Dead Space 2 tho.[/QUOTE]

I've played them all. Blood Money is my favorite but the 2nd has some great environments. Blood Money was just a bit more polished and clean. One had some bugs but it was still fun.

If you like one you will probably like them all. If you don't like one you will probably not like any.

So now that the daily deals are over(besides tomorrow's recap sale), I guess it's time to turn our attention to the games that are on sale but didn't become a daily deal.

Just from memory the Oddbox and the Penny Arcade pack are really sweet deals that people should get if they're at all interested in those games.

What are you guys lookin at buying? What games do you recommend at their current sale prices?

My Purchases

Borderlands GOTY: $5.50
Bioshock 2: $5
Defense Grid: $2.50
Trine: $2
Fallout 3 GOTY: $10
Terraria: $2

Total spent: $27

Only missed the group buy for Bioshock 2, but oh well, only a dollar. Not bad for under $30. PC gaming ftw.

[quote name='hbluft']I thought terraria was 2.49 earlier... What's with the 4.99 price all of a sudden?[/QUOTE]

print out the last 10 pages of this thread then hit yourself in the head with them. That will bring you up to date with the rest of us. :D

[quote name='hbluft']I thought terraria was 2.49 earlier... What's with the 4.99 price all of a sudden?[/QUOTE]

We don't know. It's likely a price mistake, however it's also possible that Valve likes to purposely do this to condition people to buy games impulsively instead of waiting.

It's also possible the developer had a certain amount of copies of the game they wanted to sell at the $2.49 price, and told valve to set it up so that the price would increase once that many copies were sold.

Regardless, it sucks for those of us who missed the $2.49 price.

We're getting close to the time where we can all safely cash in our tickets without fear that they'll add something that we'd rather have spent the tickets on. So how many tickets have people got, and what are you looking to get?

I've got 16 tickets (with a few easy ones within reach if I want them). As for what I'll get, I'm not sure yet. I'm still trying to figure out what prizes are exclusive to the summer prize booth. That is, besides the portal 2 snorkels and the Team Fortress 2 shades. Is there any list anywhere that'll tell me that?

Assuming that nothing else is exclusive, I think I'll grab Alien Breed 2: Assault & the X3: Terran Conflict & SpaceChem mission packs.

[quote name='doodofdoods']So now that the daily deals are over(besides tomorrow's recap sale), I guess it's time to turn our attention to the games that are on sale but didn't become a daily deal.

Just from memory the Oddbox and the Penny Arcade pack are really sweet deals that people should get if they're at all interested in those games.

What are you guys lookin at buying? What games do you recommend at their current sale prices?[/QUOTE]

I'm strongly considering Penny Arcade pack, Fate of the World, Civ 3 complete, Time Gentlemen, Please, and maybe Osmos. Also on the lookout for any other cheap games that people recommend. I'm also really hoping for a repeat on either/or the Oblivion pack and Dragon Age pack.

[quote name='doodofdoods']
It's also possible the developer had a certain amount of copies of the game they wanted to sell at the $2.49 price, and told valve to set it up so that the price would increase once that many copies were sold.
[/QUOTE]
I find it hard to believe Valve would deliberately mislead customers, I bet the developer agreed to charge 2.49 but changed his mind halfway through the day like a jackass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back